• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I don't necessarily disagree with the bulk of what you're saying, but if the goal is to loop in new viewers, just linking to anichart is kinda lame. You wanna make it as easy as possible to obtain information, and building that into a detailed OP is the best way to do that here on GAF.

We could combine the two to make it work well for everyone.

Holy crap. They delayed the broadcast indefinitely, cancelled the prescreening event, and wiped the staff page? Sounds like Cygames wasn't satisfied with what they got and might be scrapping it and handing it to another studio? Lol.

wow the demon lesbian show got canned? there goes the aots.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well one idea I had for the next season OP would be a highlights of the previous season section where we list maybe four-five shows that we thought would be good for a late comer to catchup on. At the beginning of the season it's pretty much blind luck picking one shows to watch since all one has is synopsises. At least by the end of the season we actually have something to say about the shows.

We often have people come is asking what shows of the previous season were worth watching so it could be a good idea to include something about that in the OP.

Well one idea I had for the next season OP would be a highlights of the previous season section where we list maybe four-five shows that we thought would be good for a late comer to catchup on. At the beginning of the season it's pretty much blind luck picking one shows to watch since all one has is synopsises. At least by the end of the season we actually have something to say about the shows.

We often have people come is asking what shows of the previous season were worth watching so it could be a good idea to include something about that in the OP.

I was kind of thinking a few days ago we could have 10 or so people pick 5 shows from the past decade (or whatever) they think were underrated and maybe put that in the OP since people keep asking about that...but I dunno if anyone actually reads the OP or 2nd post.

Exalted

Lol , we would probably just have the same situation like with the AOTY thread where people disagreed with the list, but now in this thread, and every season...

pbayne

Skip Beat 2

My new hero

xb25OAQ.png

Exalted

Or I could just recycle this row and be done with it:

00t0Kd4.png
Looking good.

Also another thing that would actually be feasible is to look which series were most popular and or talked about, by checking how many times a shows name was mentioned in a thread. Kinda like that wall of shame for poster, but for series?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also another thing that would actually be feasible is to look which series were most popular and or talked about, by checking how many times a shows name was mentioned in a thread. Kinda like that wall of shame for poster, but for series?

Hopefully no one would be so immature as to abuse that.

JulianImp

Doubt it. The list would just be Rakugo 4 times and Galko once.

This.

I might add Erased depending on how things go in the next couple episodes, and KonoSuba's been surprisingly fun, but is still nothing to write home about compared to Rakugo.

For continuations, I've got to say DRRR!! has had too many slow episodes that still haven't paid off. S1 was good, but S2 and this one feel like too much of a drag at times, and the payoff nevers feels all that worth it in the end.

e_i

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo my dragon girl/mage yuri show has been pulled from the Spring schedule. I need to smash something.

Being a yuri fan means suffering.

Cornbread78

Or I could just recycle this row and be done with it:
]

Are you referring to add something like the below to the OP:

The 6 shows that you shouldn’t have missed over the Winter season:

ERASED (Boku Dake ga Inai Machi)
u4YFpIY.jpg

http://myanimelist.net/anime/31043/Boku_dake_ga_Inai_Machi

Why you should watch it:

Please Tell Me! Galko-chan (Oshiete! Gyaruko-chan)
kQWknrD.jpg

http://myanimelist.net/anime/32013/Oshiete_Galko-chan?q=Oshiete! Gyaruko-chan

Why you should watch it:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
YH1MqCD.jpg

http://myanimelist.net/anime/28735/Shouwa_Genroku_Rakugo_Shinjuu

Why you should watch it:

KonoSuba (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!)
kZlwY4T.jpg

http://myanimelist.net/anime/30831/...ku_wo?q=Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo

Why you should watch it:

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (Hai to Gensou no Grimgar)
J9qMcfC.jpg

http://myanimelist.net/anime/32561/Hai_to_Gensou_no_Grimgar_Special?q=Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

Why you should watch it:

Myriad Colors Phantom World (Musaigen no Phantom World)
RkSn4Iq.jpg

http://myanimelist.net/anime/31442/Musaigen_no_Phantom_World?q=Musaigen no Phantom World

Why you should watch it:

Heavy Object still the best show everybody sleeps on.

This is the truth and a shame that it is not praised more.....

Ascheroth

So true.

Are you referring to add something like the below to the OP:

The 6 shows that you shouldn’t have missed over the Winter season:

You could make an argument about Grimgar (I'd still not really recommend it to anyone), but Phantom World is severly out of place on a list like this.

Prince of Stride is probably a better candidate.

Exalted

I was curious and checked myanime to see what people there think was the best of the season so far...

Ok how many agree with the folowing list :

Erased - 9,14
Durara 2 - 8,19
Rakugo - 8,15
Snow White with the Red Hair - 8,14
Gate 2 - 8,13

:p

Also checked that Galko-chan since i was not familiar with it and lol at 6,66 score. That's really low.

e_i

The Funimation apps now support Chromecast, Airplay, and resume across device support. Welcome to two years ago Funimation.

Cornbread78

So true.
You could make an argument about Grimgar (I'd still not really recommend it to anyone), but Phantom World is severly out of place on a list like this.

I would put Heavy Object over either of those ...

Prince of Stride is probably a better candidate.

I was curious and checked myanime to see what people there think was the best of the season so far...

Ok how many agree with the folowing list :

Erased - 9,14
Durara 2 - 8,19
Rakugo - 8,15
Snow White with the Red Hair - 8,14
Gate 2 - 8,13
:p
Also checked that Galko-chan since i was not familiar with it and lol at 6,66 score. That's really low.

a lot of AnimeGAFs tastes are note exactly in-line with the larger anime community's as you can see, but it's all-good because we are special! Look at Heavy Object's rating and I love the show...

I would easily replace Galko-Chan and Phantom with Snow White and or Gate...

JulianImp

Phantom World's just too trashy for me. KonoSuba's fun because of how it doesn't take itself seriously at all and keeps hanging a lampshade on isekai RPG-related tropes, but Phantom World doesn't have many redeeming points besides KyoAni working on it.

Exalted

a lot of AnimeGAFs tastes are note exactly in-line with the larger anime community's as you can see, but it's all-good because we are special! Look at Heavy Object's rating and I love the show...

I would easily replace Galko-Chan and Phantom with Snow White and or Gate...
Yeah i know, was just kinda curios, i actually only watched 2 series from that list...
My personal list would be : 1Konosuba, 2Erased, 3Rakugo, 4Dimension W and 5Grimgar.

CG Mechs in front of 2D backgrounds are usually a turn off for me unless they're done very well. But what probably seals the deal on the reason I won't watch Heavy Object is that it has probably the most boring mecha design I've ever seen. I mean, look at this:

It's like they saw someone's Death Star made in their 3D modelling class, put legs and guns on it, and called it a day.

When I think "giant robots" in anime I want to see a big humanoid thing stomping around looking fierce. Not an expressionless, emotionless golf ball with legs that just goes around shooting things.

Cornbread78

Yeah i know, was just kinda curios, i actually only watched 2 series from that list...
My personal list would be : 1Konosuba, 2Erased, 3Rakugo, 4Dimension W and 5Grimgar.

Not far off from you, (and without thinking too much since I'm multi-tasking)

1) Erased, 2) Konosuba, 3) Heavy Object, 4) Grimgar, 5) Snow White

CG Mechs in front of 2D backgrounds are usually a turn off for me unless they're done very well. But what probably seals the deal on the reason I won't watch Heavy Object is that it has probably the most boring mecha design I've ever seen. I mean, look at this:
When I think "giant robots" in anime I want to see a big humanoid thing stomping around looking fierce. Not an expressionless, emotionless golf ball with legs that just goes around shooting things.

I can easily say I do not watch HO for the "Mechas" They are not really portrayed or used as Mechas either, more like mobile battle stations and/or giant tanks. I watch HO for the ridiculas and over-the-top problem solving that is straight out of the 80's/90's like MacGyver. The show is over-the-top in many aspects, but is really just a stupid-fun show to watch.

1. Gintama
2. Rakugo
3. Osomatsu
4. Haikyuu
5. Erased
6. Galko
7. Okada Gundam
8. Dagashi Kashi
9. Sekko Boyz
10. Oji-san to Marshmallow
11. Koyomiwhatever
50,000. Yami Shibai S3

Dragon Ball is unrankable

It's like they saw someone's Death Star made in their 3D modelling class, put legs and guns on it, and called it a day.

Well, therein lies a pretty big part of the wall; they're not mechs. They're tanks, or mobile battle platforms. If someone promoting it called them mechs they made a huge mistake because no one in the show has ever once even referred to them as mechs. And considering they're not mechs, it's not a mecha anime. Not even remotely. It may have some superficial similarities but that's pretty much where it ends.

Now, visual style and design choices are certainly a reason to be resistant to watching something. I've skipped a ton of shows because I thought their designs looked bad or didn't like the style despite their actual quality. Hell, I skip most CG shows.

I'd say that the design/conceit of the Objects themselves is the one big hurdle you need to clear to enjoy this show. If you can just swallow it and go "Sure, alright, for whatever dumb reason they thought these designs were the best way to go with weapons" then every single other aspect of the show is great. If you can't, you won't enjoy the show no matter how fantastic the characters and tactics and humor and battles and plot are. It's like once you accept that the Objects are dumb but that's how it works, you can work with the battles and strategy because it fits within the world frame that they present.

If the design of the Objects or the fact they're CG or you can't suspend your disbelief to deal with the fact that the Objects are the best culmination of military technology stop you from giving the show a try that's super fine. I have WAY more petty reasons that I've given for not watching a show. But don't try and judge it for not being something it never tried to be. It's not a mecha show and it's not trying to be one and it was never meant to be one. It has big battles with mobile weapons platforms and that's...really the only close thing to it. If you can stop thinking it's badly executed mecha, you might find something you really enjoy in it.

Oh and the skeevy 14 year old fan service. Might need to swallow that pill too. Bleugh. Could really do without that.

zulux21

Every season is one of the worst seasons ever.

There seems to be a pattern...

there is at least a few watchable shows to borderline good shows (erased, dimension w) winter typically sucks so I will take it.

what it should be with a tease like that.
Dragon ball super announcement.

what it might be with a tease like that.
dragon ball kai season 2 announcement.

what it likely is.
either a platform like kickstarter to crowdfund a number of their future titles where people can pledge money towards shows to get them dubbed.

or some other minor part of their rebranding such as a new store layout :p

Its too late for a Dragon Ball Super dub for me. I'm already used to the Japanese voices. The dub voices are starting to transition out of my mind as the "correct" voices.

Higurashi is funny. It's not a particularly well made show, the production values are awful, and in the end the answers are far less satisfying than the journey, but it does have a bunch of truly hilarious and over the top scenarios which are satisfying in itself and play on horror tropes much like Another does. Just have the right expectations and it's a fun watch, even if it's pretty flawed.

I enjoyed Higurashi when I first watched it back when it came out, but when I tried to go back to it a few years later I found the production too poor to enjoy. Even if you're going for black comedy, I think Blood-C is a better choice there.

To not even warrant a mention.... Your crusade on Yami Shibai continues huh ? :p

Considering the only emotion Yami Shibai evoked in me is anger at how stupid it was, why would I mention it?

While hosanna's suspect definition of "actual" horror is eye-rolling

I just included that bit since someone said "Those aren't really horror" last time I made a similar list of suggestions, so I wanted to specifiy what I am looking for out of horror. The psychological and atmospheric side of horror is what interests me most, not so much the violent and monster/demon/ghost side of it.

But the maybe Magnum is a 1st gen. I like the other ones that we've seen more like Bright Hopper or the Wing Balancer.

I just included that bit since someone said "Those aren't really horror" last time I made a similar list of suggestions, so I wanted to specifiy what I am looking for out of horror. The psychological and atmospheric side of horror is what interests me most, not so much the violent and monster/demon/ghost side of it.

Aaaaaaaah, I got you. Okay, that's a fair cop of it then. In that case your list is pretty spot on.

I also enjoy the violent/monster/demon/ghost side of it but for completely different reasons then I enjoy the more psychological/atmospheric ones. If it combines the best of both and the atmosphere/psychology/mental stuff enhances the physical or visceral horror then that's the height for me. I think Paranoia Agent did this exceptionally well and horror manga like MPD Psycho or Kurosagi Corpse Delivery or Drifting Classroom are some good examples too.

pbayne

Lain Finished

To7lvRs.jpg

Right off the bat I think Admiral Wolfington mentioned that some of the main themes or messages of Lain are somewhat dated. Itd tend to agree in one sense and disagree on another. The show is somewhat stuck in its time of portraying the internet as a “scary place”, which while definitely not an untrue prediction in many ways, it does seem somewhat muted in today’s society which uses the internet as a crutch. Though the show was pretty accurate with some its theories, that a global information network without borders would do as much harm as good and that in the future those who could manipulate information would be psuedo-Gods.

Ill say a lot of this is my interpretation and is not necessarily right, wrong or anything in-between. (And well im not gonna try and explain everything anyway because id be here all night if I did).

While there is a plot there's not really much to spoil. It mainly serves to act as a vessel for the show's themes. And I Iove how the show manages to unpack them through imagery rather than long-winded arguments. Little innocuous things that I didn't notice at first become a lot more significant as the show progresses. Like the passing red and light lights signifying the two worlds passing each other, ditto for the contrasting use of shadows and light. The final reveal of Lain's bear pajamas being a protective veil to hide her true self rather than the sign of immaturity I first thought it was. In fact all the motifs they use are fantastically eerie and oppressive like the wires that encoil Lain, the reflection of the screen in her eyes or the staticy effect that accompanies the Wired domain.

The general atmosphere of the show is superb. Even though there is a lot of suggestive and at times grotesque imagery, I think one of the biggest success the show has is turning the mundane into terrifying situations. Even a small scenes like Lain with her parents are heightened by incredible audio direction, never has the low hum of a fridge been so scary combined with her parents glossed over expressions just really great stuff.

The themes of the show are almost too much to get through. Existentialism, nihilism, self-identity, fear of technology, religion, communication and what is reality. So ill choose the one I found the most interesting and that was the notion of people as machines(or the soul as upgradeable software while the body is disposable or fallible hardware." From my perspective people are largely programmed to conform to their own sets of ideals based on their personal history, social standings, economic position etc. So in a way people, like software are predictable when you understand them. So when the show talks about breaking down the barrier between the Wired and reality in order to achieve a new form of human evolution its the limitations of our bodies that stop us from being "upgraded" (which is why Lain and several other characters dispose of their own bodies.) I think that's a really interesting concept, that the human body is an "out-dated" model that cannot keep up with the rate of technological advancement. I could go on about the theory of a collective wireless consciousness too, but fuck it that's enough.

So yeah if that massive wall of text told you anything its that I really liked this show a lot. And thats only really scratching the surface of what the show has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom