• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Eureka 7 32-39

0CZZQ08.png
CRHbmMQ.jpg
TMrM0wM.png
SUtWsic.png
EnAufBs.png
oRgrHyH.png

First of all, the show had a total change of pace. After episode 29, I think that pretty much everything has been answered, other than stuff that has to do with the Coralian and will probably get an answer at the endgame. The show had a very weird pace, but it's kinda satisfying in the end. I certainly disagree with having to spend 30 episodes with little to no story development, and then getting bombarded by reveals, but the things that happened when the show was slow made it possible to appreciate the characters even more after episode 29. I really like Renton right now and the same goes for Holland and maaaaybe Eureka. They've managed to grow a lot and be characters that I care about. It's kinda worrying that there are several death flags on Holland, it will really suck if he's dead by the end of the series. Furthermore, I hope Renton's sister will actually appear by the end of it, from the very first moment she has been one of the characters I'd like to know more about and it's a shame that she will probably get little to no screen time, even if she appears again.

And as I said, a lot of things have happened... It's the build-up just before the endgame and we're finally seeing actions with world changing effects. Dewie has proven to be a really fearsome villain, now that he acts. It's probably the tone of his voice and his face, but he creeps me out. He's not powerful and not even the super intelligent type of villain, just manipulative, with creepy kids as his team. I still don't quite understand what his motive exactly is, but I guess it will be shown soon. And then there's Norb, that seemed interesting at first, but proved to be annoying and dumb... Anyway, the episodes have been mostly good, with stuff like the attack on Capitol or The End vs Nirvash v2 being pure hype and really memorable scenes. For a mecha show though, the actual mechas are kind of uninteresting and certainly underused. I think I've already written about it enough but I really hate how Nirvash is unbeatable and even the show seems to have realized that, as we're getting less and less scenes of it in action. At least, the show has a great cast, which is the real focus of it, and I think that's the main reason I didn't consider dropping it. Oh, and another thing, what the hell was that soccer episode? lol Completely random, especially at this point of the series.

Something that I haven't written about though and is a generally positive surprise to me, is how Renton's and Eureka's "teen romance" is handled. I can't say that it's one of the aspects of the show that I care about, but I like it. Both of them are timid and inexperienced but their feelings are honest. Also, it's really neat how Eureka is not actually cute or beautiful. Short and messy hair, wounds on the face and the body... She's scarred and the show has actually kept her like that. The episode that tackled this matter, despite mostly being full of humorous situations, was really good. She's really a neat heroine and totally different than anyone I know. She seemed a lot like Rei from EVA at first, but she's nothing like that now, which is actually good.

Anyway, things will keep getting more and more interesting as the story progresses I guess. Hopefully the ending will deliver
and Dominic will live happily with Anemone. The show should have been about Dominic and Anemone being the chosen ones and the protagonists. :( And I'm only half kidding.
Also, ORANGE. Orange is always the most powerful plot device in any anime with mechas, I should have known....

PS: Hijacking the new page, for this post, sorry. :p

I'm calling it now, but MHA will probably disappoint, either newer watchers or the manga readers. Personally, I think it has a bad pace at first, and many events that feel repetitive. There could be some variety if BONES adds new scenes or even arcs, but this isn't always good.

And just in case, I'm not saying it will be bad, I'm sure the reactions will be positive. It just won't live to the hype, which seems absurd already. Honestly, I even feel that people that want this to be the next Naruto/One Piece are just kidding themselves.

Arent manga readers always disappointed? I was disappointed with One Punch Man anime for example, JJBA fans seem disappointed with the new adaptations vs the old adaptation, One Piece and Toriko fans disappointed with their animes, etc.

Cornbread78

I think this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Kabaneri:
From the studio that brought you Attack on Titan with the director of Attack on Titan and the composer of Attack on Titan comes an original show that is totally not Attack On Titan. With trains.

Hundred
Why should you watch it?
You schouldn't.

Sousei no Onmyouji
It could be a fun and simple battle shonen, but the staff isn't really promising and nor is the weirdly out of place anime original mascot character.

Also I'm detetacting a severe lack of JoJo, Swagamoto (although I'm not yet convinced this will translate well into anime) and the one show with Dan Brown (Bungou Stray Dogs)

But it's really hard to do this "Why should you watch it?" thing before even a single episode is out.

Those work more for the LN/Manga based shows.

Thanks for the responses though.

Qurupeke

Arent manga readers always disappointed? I was disappointed with One Punch Man anime for example, JJBA fans seem disappointed with the new adaptations vs the old adaptation, One Piece and Toriko fans disappointed with their animes, etc.

Hmm, I think I generally agree with you and I see it happen a lot but for the first two animes, I think they're the minority. I'm not sure how OPM disappointed you, but it was pretty spot on as an adaptation.

What happens if BONES BOMBS it on the finale a la Blood Blockade Battlefront?

It would be a shame, because there's already a good ending point for the anime and I'm sure they can handle it perfectly.

Line_HTX

I'm calling it now, but MHA will probably disappoint, either newer watchers or the manga readers. Personally, I think it has a bad pace at first, and many events that feel repetitive. There could be some variety if BONES adds new scenes or even arcs, but this isn't always good.

And just in case, I'm not saying it will be bad, I'm sure the reactions will be positive. It just won't live to the hype, which seems absurd already. Honestly, I even feel that people that want this to be the next Naruto/One Piece are just kidding themselves.

What happens if BONES BOMBS it on the finale a la Blood Blockade Battlefront?

God Eater Episodes 1-2

So I'm gonna guess that God Eater was made and directed for people who already played the game. Because boy was nothing explained well.

Why wasn't anyone watching the walls? Did the Aragami tactically sneak up onto the walls or something? Why do the walls help at all when there are Aragami that can fly?

So a sword God Arc turning into a gun is surprising? I assume they all did that. Why else would they be that big?

Who was Eric?

Ascheroth

I really liked the beginning.
But yeah, the hype is ridiculous.

Those work more for the LN/Manga based shows.

Thanks for the responses though.

You're right. You can get a feel for how it could turn out with adaptions, but anime is ultimately still its own thing and can potentially go either way.

Anyway, might as well give you a proper description for Sousei no Onmyouji (and thinking about, that's a show you could probably like):
MAL said:
Rokuro is from a family of exorcists, but he'd rather be a singer, a soccer player or anything but an exorcist! He's forced to own up to his own incredible potential when new arrival Benio stirs his competitive spirit. But their rivalry gets a twist when they earn the prestigious title of "Twin Star Exorcists"—two supreme fighters fated to marry and birth the ultimate spiritual warrior!
...The MAL synopsis is surprisingly concise and accurate, huh.

I don't know, I love both the OPM and JoJo adaptions.
Long running shonen anime are generally a recipe for dissappointment though.

kewlmyc

God Eater Episodes 1-2

So I'm gonna guess that God Eater was made and directed for people who already played the game. Because boy was nothing explained well.

Why wasn't anyone watching the walls? Did the Aragami tactically sneak up onto the walls or something? Why do the walls help at all when there are Aragami that can fly?

So a sword God Arc turning into a gun is surprising? I assume they all did that. Why else would they be that big?

Who was Eric?

That can't be true. They aren't even following the plot of the game iiirc.

God Eater Episodes 1-2

Who was Eric?

How? I thought Utsugi Lenka isnt even in the game, and the explanations to the world of God Eater are explained over time. I think its part of the mystery especially the post science backstory scenes.

Arent they surprised cause this noob Utsugi Lenka is able to do that without any formal training and so fast?

Yeah this is my problem with MHA as well. The pacing is pretty bad with it being uneven.

People expecting it to be something great will be highly disappointed unless Bones does something special. However, if you expect a generic by the books Shonen you should be fine.

So that Digibro guy released a 30 minute (jesus CHRIST) video on how that one show that came out around the time of the Asterisk War, Chivalry of a Failed Knight (that most noted as being bafflingly similar at the time of release) was in fact a better show than Asterisk in subtle ways.

Both shows look like shit, but his analysis is certainly impassioned.

What she said was nice though but it came at the cost of her having screen time, a cost too high.

People hate Cat????

So that Digibro guy released a 30 minute (jesus CHRIST) video on how that one show that came out around the time of the Asterisk War, Chivalry of a Failed Knight (that most noted as being bafflingly similar at the time of release) was in fact a better show than Asterisk in subtle ways.

Of all the shows you could pointlessly make a 14 video omnibus bitching about, why Asterisk War? Nobody cares about that show. I wish I had that kind of energy.

Ascheroth

Yeah this is my problem with MHA as well. The pacing is pretty bad with it being uneven.

People expecting it to be something great will be highly disappointed unless Bones does something special. However, if you expect a generic by the books Shonen you should be fine.

Yeah, this is true. That wasn't really a detriment for me at the beginning because it was nice seeing stuff moving along at a brisk pace, but the longer it went on, the more apparent it became that it doesn't leave enough time for breathers.
It feels kinda like Horikoshi is afraid of people dropping it immediately if nothing 'awesome' happens each chapter, but constant high-intensity is going to lose its impact if you fudge the build-up.
Will be interesting to see if Bones can expand on that a bit.

Expect a fun Shonen and you'll be fine, but it's not going to be a new Naruto or something.

Of all the shows you could pointlessly make a 14 video omnibus bitching about, why Asterisk War? Nobody cares about that show. I wish I had that kind of energy.

Well he already did an hour long take down of SAO season 1, and an hour and a half long one about season 2 so I guess you got to keep going.

Ascheroth

My personal opinion is that Chivalry has higher highs than Asterisk but also lower lows, while Asterisk is more consistantly in the middle.
Both aren't shows that I would recommend to anyone though.

They aren't also that easy to compare, because while the initial set-up is pretty much exactly the same, they go into completely opposite directions with their stories.

Eureka 7 32-39

Something that I haven't written about though and is a generally positive surprise to me, is how Renton's and Eureka's "teen romance" is handled. I can't say that it's one of the aspects of the show that I care about, but I like it. Both of them are timid and inexperienced but their feelings are honest. Also, it's really neat how Eureka is not actually cute or beautiful. Short and messy hair, wounds on the face and the body... She's scarred and the show has actually kept her like that. The episode that tackled this matter, despite mostly being full of humorous situations, was really good. She's really a neat heroine and totally different than anyone I know. She seemed a lot like Rei from EVA at first, but she's nothing like that now, which is actually good.

The relationships between Renton and Eureka and Anemone and Dominic are the highlights of the entire show. This show handles romance ten times better than any Gundam show has in the last 10 years.

Anyway, things will keep getting more and more interesting as the story progresses I guess. Hopefully the ending will deliver
and Dominic will live happily with Anemone. The show should have been about Dominic and Anemone being the chosen ones and the protagonists. :( And I'm only half kidding.
Also, ORANGE. Orange is always the most powerful plot device in any anime with mechas, I should have known....

PS: Hijacking the new page, for this post, sorry. :p

The last 10 episodes of Eureka Seven have some of my favourite moments in mecha anime. Enjoy. :)

Crocodile

It's easy to justify doing anything when people are paying you (Paetron) to do it. I don't disagree with the exclamation "why this show of all shows" but I'd still say his analysis is strong and well-supported.

Gintama's Cast Assemble for Anime's 10th Anniversary and End of Current Run.
RFTJ3dj.jpg

aMw1bR8.jpg

Fuck, Ginatama's current season is going to end. No more gorilla and dick jokes to look forward to.

Hopefully they come back to adapt the finale of the manga next year.

Line_HTX

Every time Sprinting Spirits plays in Eureka Seven it enhances the scene so much. You can feel the desperation and just want to yell out.

Moaradin

Fuck, Ginatama's current season is going to end. No more gorilla and dick jokes to look forward to.

Hopefully they come back to adapt the finale of the manga next year.

So sad this is going on break. Was hoping it would go to the end. There's only 1 more arc to adapt right? Won't be too bad if it comes back in a few months as a 13 episode season or something.

kewlmyc

It's actually a pretty decent video. I had no idea that Chivalry show has the MC and main heroine get together in episode 4. I guess that would make it stand out from the other LN trash adaptions. It's been a decent youtube documentary so far. The series he's making is longer than the actual series though, which is kinda funny.

He's tired of people bitching at why he drops shows, so he made a documentary on why he dropped this one. The ironic part is that he had to watch the show like 5 times to make the series, which is insane. The video he did that focuses on A-1 Pictures is actually pretty decent. I never realized how many adaptions they push out in one season.

It's actually a pretty decent video. I had no idea that Chivalry show has the MC and main heroine get together in episode 4. I guess that would make it stand out from the other LN trash adaptions. It's been a decent youtube documentary so far. The series he's making is longer than the actual series though, which is kinda funny.

He's tired of people bitching at why he drops shows, so he made a documentary on why he dropped this one. The ironic part is that he had to watch the show like 5 times to make the series, which is insane. The video he did that focuses on A-1 Pictures is actually pretty decent. I never realized how many adaptions they push out in one season.

This is the same guy that has a huge hard on hatred for A-1 Pictures.

Honestly I rarely give a crap over YouTube anime reviewers.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's easy to justify doing anything when people are paying you (Paetron) to do it. I don't disagree with the exclamation "why this show of all shows" but I'd still say his analysis is strong and well-supported.

Also, on the video himself Digibro actually answered the question of why this show because it turns out he hated the dismissive nature of the attitude surrounding both shows as quick critiques.

zulux21

the manga has a decent shot of following in naruto or one piece's foot steps (likely won't but best shot of the ones I have seen).

the anime doesn't.

but that is because bones doesn't really do endless series.
it will likely be 12-25 episodes and then be done until next year which alone will keep it from being naruto or one piece because we won't be able to complain about filler or pacing :3

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh shit, no wonder that Maze opening song is so rocking, it's done by Heavy Metal group Seikima-II.

Don't know who Seikima-II is?

According to the mythology created by the band, Seikima-II is a group of Akuma (悪魔, "demons") from the futuristic hyper-evolved dimension Makai (魔界, "demon world") that preach a religion in order to propagate Satan through the use of heavy metal music. Each member is a demon of a different hierarchical class, with His Excellency Demon Kakka being leader of the Akuma and His Majesty Damian Hamada being the "Crown Prince of Hell". In accordance to the prophecy and after completing their world conquest, the band disbanded at the end of the century on December 31, 1999 at 23:59:59.[2]

A lot of the band was the basis for Detroit Metal City (Besides K.I.S.S. who these guys also pay homage to).

The band was also mentioned in the anime for Yu Yu Hakusho and a character in the Fist of the North Star anime was based on the lead singer.

Here's the Maze opening. Listen to those guitar riffs!

Has anyone ever tracked down a copy of the OVA that was made for the band? I'm expecting it to be bad but I'm wondering how it actually is lol.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Man spends ten hours rooting around in garbage can, criticizing a rotten apple before ultimately deciding to eat a rumpled up and soggy ball of newspaper.

jbug617

Banned
are you guys concerned about the exclusive animes to certain platforms? Next season Amazon, CR and Funi have shows only available on their platforms. We know that Netflix also has exclusive shows.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

It doesn't need 30 minutes of speech, but Chivalry of a Failed Knight is better than Asterisk Wars.

are you guys concerned about the exclusive animes to certain platforms? Next season Amazon, CR and Funi have shows only available on their platforms. We know that Netflix also has exclusive shows.

doesn't bother me because as I no longer have cables I have a lot of these services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom