• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am guessing Funimation picked up My Hero Academia.

Funi has hero academia http://www.funimation.com/p/myheroc..._content=Video_mha_hype_reel&utm_nooverride=1

Funimation has secured the exclusive international rights to home entertainment, video on demand, merchandise, and broadcast distribution of the series as part of its agreement with Toho Co. Ltd. Episode 1 of the series will premiere in April on Funimation's streaming service, FunimationNow, in the U.S., Canada, UK, and Ireland.

zulux21

Not really? You have stuff like One Piece and Assassination Classroom with Funi.

one piece was a license rescue and basically a ruined property in NA that viz no longer felt was worth releasing.
Assassination classroom falls into the same category as soma where it's a shonen jump series but a more mature aimed series. It's not going to sell well at all in NA and they know it so why bother picking it up. One punch man is a more mature series, but it likely has a path to toonami if they wanted it to.

hero acedemina mostly targets the bleach/naruto group and is no doubt something viz would pick up if they have first dibs. I'd be really surprised if funimation got it.

edit: and while typing that I was proven completely wrong :p
new thought, it's because it's a bones show. Funimation loves picking up bones shows :p

Taruranto

Make Tekkadan Fat Again #22

twqmB9I.jpg

cmEq9IB.jpg

Biscuit was a Trump supporter, how about that.

Anyway they are all sad but I bet they won't be in 1 month when suddenly there is a lot of more food going around.

zulux21

i hope it's a goddamn dragon ball super simulcast announcement i'm sick of this shit ):< ):< ):<

we are still about 60 weeks or so out from an expected dragon ball super announcement.

on the plus side we are only 6 months out from an expected dragon ball kai season 2 announcement.

we are still about 60 weeks or so out from an expected dragon ball super announcement.

on the plus side we are only 6 months out from an expected dragon ball kai season 2 announcement.

Fucking toei man

So hyped for funi having my hero academia quality simuldub available soon then a blu ray set that won't cost $1000? Perfect

Clov

edit: and while typing that I was proven completely wrong :p
new thought, it's because it's a bones show. Funimation loves picking up bones shows :p

While they might pick up plenty of Bones' work, it's doubtful Bones had anything to do with it given how few animation studios hold the international rights to their own work (I know Gonzo and Sunrise often to, and there may have been a few cases where Production IG has, but I can't recall specific examples from them). It was most likely that the production company who held the international rights was on good terms with Funimation, and Funimation gave them a good offer.

Paltheos

Lain Finished

To7lvRs.jpg

Right off the bat I think Admiral Wolfington mentioned that some of the main themes or messages of Lain are somewhat dated. Itd tend to agree in one sense and disagree on another. The show is somewhat stuck in its time of portraying the internet as a “scary place”, which while definitely not an untrue prediction in many ways, it does seem somewhat muted in today’s society which uses the internet as a crutch. Though the show was pretty accurate with some its theories, that a global information network without borders would do as much harm as good and that in the future those who could manipulate information would be psuedo-Gods.

Ill say a lot of this is my interpretation and is not necessarily right, wrong or anything in-between. (And well im not gonna try and explain everything anyway because id be here all night if I did).

While there is a plot there's not really much to spoil. It mainly serves to act as a vessel for the show's themes. And I Iove how the show manages to unpack them through imagery rather than long-winded arguments. Little innocuous things that I didn't notice at first become a lot more significant as the show progresses. Like the passing red and light lights signifying the two worlds passing each other, ditto for the contrasting use of shadows and light. The final reveal of Lain's bear pajamas being a protective veil to hide her true self rather than the sign of immaturity I first thought it was. In fact all the motifs they use are fantastically eerie and oppressive like the wires that encoil Lain, the reflection of the screen in her eyes or the staticy effect that accompanies the Wired domain.

The general atmosphere of the show is superb. Even though there is a lot of suggestive and at times grotesque imagery, I think one of the biggest success the show has is turning the mundane into terrifying situations. Even a small scenes like Lain with her parents are heightened by incredible audio direction, never has the low hum of a fridge been so scary combined with her parents glossed over expressions just really great stuff.

The themes of the show are almost too much to get through. Existentialism, nihilism, self-identity, fear of technology, religion, communication and what is reality. So ill choose the one I found the most interesting and that was the notion of people as machines(or the soul as upgradeable software while the body is disposable or fallible hardware." From my perspective people are largely programmed to conform to their own sets of ideals based on their personal history, social standings, economic position etc. So in a way people, like software are predictable when you understand them. So when the show talks about breaking down the barrier between the Wired and reality in order to achieve a new form of human evolution its the limitations of our bodies that stop us from being "upgraded" (which is why Lain and several other characters dispose of their own bodies.) I think that's a really interesting concept, that the human body is an "out-dated" model that cannot keep up with the rate of technological advancement. I could go on about the theory of a collective wireless consciousness too, but fuck it that's enough.

So yeah if that massive wall of text told you anything its that I really liked this show a lot. And thats only really scratching the surface of what the show has to offer.

Glad you liked it. I rarely really critically think about what I'm watching - Few shows are so dense - And Lain is one of those shows that snapped me to attention. Some of the ideas it brings up are outdated, comically so in retrospect, but Lain takes itself seriously and handles itself very well so this concern is easy to dismiss. Lain is almost entirely a 'show, don't tell' show, and I like it for that. I remember thinking some elements of the execution are clunky, but I was still compelled from almost beginning to end. Some of the recurring imagery really stuck with me. You mentioned the shadowing - For me, it's the clusters of (richly-detailed) electrical and telephone wires and the low hum of their operation (and yes, the shadows thereof when Lain heads out to school). I don't think I ever fully processed Lain, but I remember that the end lost me. Apparently more of the story is in supplementary material, which we gaijin of course don't have.

Just T

Osomatsu-san: 22

The first segment was great, Ichimatsu freaked all the way out lol.

Koyomimonogatari: 9

This was a nice episode, minus Hanekawa.

Moaradin

Was hoping Funi would get MHA. Was tired of all my favorite anime lately not getting dubs or shit ones like One Punch Man and Soma. Wouldn't be surprised if this is on Toonami in a couple months either.

Line_HTX

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like simulcast only on their site and not Toonami airing.

OPM and Soma got dubbed already?

Lain Finished

To7lvRs.jpg

Right off the bat I think Admiral Wolfington mentioned that some of the main themes or messages of Lain are somewhat dated. Itd tend to agree in one sense and disagree on another. The show is somewhat stuck in its time of portraying the internet as a “scary place”, which while definitely not an untrue prediction in many ways, it does seem somewhat muted in today’s society which uses the internet as a crutch. Though the show was pretty accurate with some its theories, that a global information network without borders would do as much harm as good and that in the future those who could manipulate information would be psuedo-Gods.

Ill say a lot of this is my interpretation and is not necessarily right, wrong or anything in-between. (And well im not gonna try and explain everything anyway because id be here all night if I did).

While there is a plot there's not really much to spoil. It mainly serves to act as a vessel for the show's themes. And I Iove how the show manages to unpack them through imagery rather than long-winded arguments. Little innocuous things that I didn't notice at first become a lot more significant as the show progresses. Like the passing red and light lights signifying the two worlds passing each other, ditto for the contrasting use of shadows and light. The final reveal of Lain's bear pajamas being a protective veil to hide her true self rather than the sign of immaturity I first thought it was. In fact all the motifs they use are fantastically eerie and oppressive like the wires that encoil Lain, the reflection of the screen in her eyes or the staticy effect that accompanies the Wired domain.

The general atmosphere of the show is superb. Even though there is a lot of suggestive and at times grotesque imagery, I think one of the biggest success the show has is turning the mundane into terrifying situations. Even a small scenes like Lain with her parents are heightened by incredible audio direction, never has the low hum of a fridge been so scary combined with her parents glossed over expressions just really great stuff.

The themes of the show are almost too much to get through. Existentialism, nihilism, self-identity, fear of technology, religion, communication and what is reality. So ill choose the one I found the most interesting and that was the notion of people as machines(or the soul as upgradeable software while the body is disposable or fallible hardware." From my perspective people are largely programmed to conform to their own sets of ideals based on their personal history, social standings, economic position etc. So in a way people, like software are predictable when you understand them. So when the show talks about breaking down the barrier between the Wired and reality in order to achieve a new form of human evolution its the limitations of our bodies that stop us from being "upgraded" (which is why Lain and several other characters dispose of their own bodies.) I think that's a really interesting concept, that the human body is an "out-dated" model that cannot keep up with the rate of technological advancement. I could go on about the theory of a collective wireless consciousness too, but fuck it that's enough.

So yeah if that massive wall of text told you anything its that I really liked this show a lot. And thats only really scratching the surface of what the show has to offer.

Glad you enjoyed it. I did too but I'll still say that watching the show today felt a bit like a slow chug when so much of the show is spent on showing the internet, its dangers and its magic.

Similar to say reading Fahrenheit 451 and seeing the constant mention of big screen tvs and ear buds in a very awkward fashion (though to be fair he also described these prior to the technology existing). But I guess in Fahrenheit the technology wasn't the main aspect.

Moaradin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like simulcast only on their site and not Toonami airing.

OPM and Soma got dubbed already?

It will probably get a dub and air on Toonami. They don't announce those things this early. Funimation is involved with Dimension W and they didn't even announce a dub and the Toonami airing until a few weeks ago.

OPM and Soma don't have dubs yet but Sentai has Soma so it won't ever be good even if they do one.

I was gonna ask why Your Lie in April was trending on Twitter, but some quick Google-fu showed me that it is now available on Netflix. I'm assuming that's why.

Also The Division dropped today and I'm happy. Gonna be tough juggling school, work, the 13 shows I'm watching, Fire Emblem, The Division, etc, etc. Why do I always do this to myself.

I'm glad it's up there. I know a lot of folks didn't like it and thought it had too much melodrama, but I thought it was pretty damn enjoyable.

Cornbread78

Ok, with a revised strategy, can you guys help me answer the below questions for some of the upcoming shows that will be really popular:

- What kind of show it is
- Why you should watch it

Upcoming Shows:

- Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (Attack on Titan
- My Hero Academia
(left post in MHA community thread)
- Mayoiga (Original)
- Kiznaiver (original)
- Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! (Ace Attorney)
- Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
- Hundred (
- Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
- Super Lovers
- Sousei no Onmyouji
- Terra Formars Revenge
- Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song
- Joker Game

Ascheroth

Stride - 09

Hilarious training episode + pool combo is hilarious.
Riku and Takeru have overcome their cooperation problems, though Riku still has another problem remaining that needs to be fixed if they want to beat Kakyoin (writing this in a show that is not JoJo feels so strange).

Stride - 10

And as expected, this episode tackled the last roadblock Honan needs to overcome if they want to have a chance.
Rikus inferiority complex towards his brother sits deep, but a combined effort of best bro Asuma, Takeru and the rest of the Honan team manages to pull him out of it.

Also, obligatory shout out to the god damn amazing OST.

pbayne

Glad you enjoyed it. I did too but I'll still say that watching the show today felt a bit like a slow chug when so much of the show is spent on showing the internet, its dangers and its magic.

I was gripped from start to finish but yeah I do get what you mean.

But then I remember being really afraid of the internet too in 1998. Good old dial-up and 5mb usage restrictions. You can download 5 pictures a day!! God how did we get by?

Glad you liked it. I rarely really critically think about what I'm watching - Few shows are so dense - And Lain is one of those shows that snapped me to attention. Some of the ideas it brings up are outdated, comically so in retrospect, but Lain takes itself seriously and handles itself very well so this concern is easy to dismiss. Lain is almost entirely a 'show, don't tell' show, and I like it for that. I remember thinking some elements of the execution are clunky, but I was still compelled from almost beginning to end. Some of the recurring imagery really stuck with me. You mentioned the shadowing - For me, it's the clusters of (richly-detailed) electrical and telephone wires and the low hum of their operation (and yes, the shadows thereof when Lain heads out to school). I don't think I ever fully processed Lain, but I remember that the end lost me. Apparently more of the story is in supplementary material, which we gaijin of course don't have.

If you like that style of show but maybe slightly less intensive definitely try out Kino's Journey which is from the same director Ryuutarou Nakamura.

Similar exploration of philosophical themes and (like you mentioned) the director has a great sense for imagery and sound design.

Clov

Ok, with a revised strategy, can you guys help me answer the below questions for some of the upcoming shows that will be really popular:

Upcoming Shows:

- Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! (Ace Attorney)
- Joker Game

For Phoenix Wright, I guess you could call it a dramatic comedy. I'm watching it because I'm a big fan of the games.

I actually don't know much about Joker Game other than that it's some sort of spy thriller, which sounds good by itself. I'm watching it because people whose opinions I trust in this thread are saying it has the potential to be good.

Also, where's Jojo's?

Cornbread78

For Phoenix Wright, I guess you could call it a dramatic comedy. I'm watching it because I'm a big fan of the games.

I actually don't know much about Joker Game other than that it's some sort of spy thriller, which sounds good by itself. I'm watching it because people whose opinions I trust in this thread are saying it has the potential to be good.

Also, where's Jojo's?

I reached out to Manga Community on most the manga based series coming up.

Ascheroth

Well one idea I had for the next season OP would be a highlights of the previous season section where we list maybe four-five shows that we thought would be good for a late comer to catchup on. At the beginning of the season it's pretty much blind luck picking one shows to watch since all one has is synopsises. At least by the end of the season we actually have something to say about the shows.

We often have people come is asking what shows of the previous season were worth watching so it could be a good idea to include something about that in the OP.

I think this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Upcoming Shows:

- Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (Attack on Titan
to Omotta?
- Hundred (
- Sousei no Onmyouji

Kabaneri:
From the studio that brought you Attack on Titan with the director of Attack on Titan and the composer of Attack on Titan comes an original show that is totally not Attack On Titan. With trains.

Hundred
Why should you watch it?
You schouldn't.

Sousei no Onmyouji
It could be a fun and simple battle shonen, but the staff isn't really promising and nor is the weirdly out of place anime original mascot character.

Also I'm detetacting a severe lack of JoJo, Swagamoto (although I'm not yet convinced this will translate well into anime) and the one show with Dan Brown (Bungou Stray Dogs)

But it's really hard to do this "Why should you watch it?" thing before even a single episode is out.

Kazuya Nomura is the biggest reason I'm looking forward to Joker Game. His Ghost in the Shell film was very well directed, and showed an excellent grasp on how to stage complicated action scenes, which seems like it'd come in handy on a spy thriller.

This was a nice episode, minus Hanekawa.

tumblr_inline_nt0yyzSyqK1sjh0qi_540.jpg

Don't really think that people need to be sold on JoJo or Ace Attorney. One is the fourth part of a series and the other is a well known game series.

If we're still doing the "do a write up for a show" thing then I'll do a few of them. JoJo, Ace Attorney, Not-Attack on Titan, MHA.

Line_HTX

I'm normally not a person that is heavily invested in Shounen all that often, so MPR can try and sell me MHA. I'll watch it anyway, it's just I don't get the hype, is all.

I'm normally not a person that is heavily invested in Shounen all that often, so MPR can try and sell me MHA. I'll watch it anyway, it's just I don't get the hype, is all.

I'm not as in love with MHA as some other people, so if someone wants to they can do the writeup for that.

Line_HTX

Yeah, forgive me if I'm cautious because of the whole "This shit will be the BEST THING EVER of all mankind!"

I probably sound hipster-ish to overhype, lol

Clov

Kazuya Nomura is the biggest reason I'm looking forward to Joker Game. His Ghost in the Shell film was very well directed, and showed an excellent grasp on how to stage complicated action scenes, which seems like it'd come in handy on a spy thriller.

Oh, so he's the one directing it. I did enjoy the action in his GitS film, and I liked it a lot more than Arise. Of course I still prefer Oshii's work on the series above all else, but that's an awfully high bar in the first place. I'm sure Joker Game will be exciting to watch at the very least.

I was gripped from start to finish but yeah I do get what you mean.

But then I remember being really afraid of the internet too in 1998. Good old dial-up and 5mb usage restrictions. You can download 5 pictures a day!! God how did we get by?

If you like that style of show but maybe slightly less intensive definitely try out Kino's Journey which is from the same director Ryuutarou Nakamura.

Similar exploration of philosophical themes and (like you mentioned) the director has a great sense for imagery and sound design.
Yeah if I had to choose one or the other I'd go with kinos journey. I remember doing a watch bet with someone to watch these two shows and another, and kino was the one I really loved.

Though kino bothered me to no end when I expected every episode to have a theme or a symbolic message to it and spent a lot of time trying to piece it together when some episodes were just weird to be weird lol

Jarmel

Banned
What didn't you get? I thought the Mir and Festum stuff was a lot more straightforward in H&E compared to DA.

Mir was going through rebirth after the ending of DA, but got nuked by the Neo-UN. Because Soushi taught the Festum pain, it hurt too much and didn't want to be reborn. Instead, it creates a individualistic Festum, Kurusu Misao, to threaten the island into helping them pacify the world. Fights happen. Kurusu just wants to admire the sky and doesn't want to fight, but can't deny the hivemind. Some more fights. Soushi sends a message that the first natural-born child on their island should be able to communicate directly with the Festum. Various individual character subplots involving the 2nd Generation of pilots happening concurrently. Koyo comes back as a Fafner core and disappears. Final fight, child is able to communicate with the Festum to stop fighting, and Kazuki convinces Kurusu to tell the hivemind he doesn't want to fight either.

Then the Neo-UN show up to nuke the island and the massive gathering of Festum. Kurusu and some Festum sacrifice themselves to block the nuke. Cue some sky shots. Some understanding later, Kurusu dies and chooses to be reborn along with the Mir. Heals Kazuki's eyes and returns Soushi. Cue ending.

Well it was the whole Mir rebirth thing as the Mir both exists and isn't born at the same time. I took it as the Mir existing but the Festum weren't repopulating due to the effects of the radiation. Not to mention there were some weird monsters near the Mir that were proto Festum? I also thought them blowing up the hivemind pretty much forced it to back down rather than anything on Kurusu's part.

Qurupeke

I'm calling it now, but MHA will probably disappoint, either newer watchers or the manga readers. Personally, I think it has a bad pace at first, and many events that feel repetitive. There could be some variety if BONES adds new scenes or even arcs, but this isn't always good.

And just in case, I'm not saying it will be bad, I'm sure the reactions will be positive. It just won't live to the hype, which seems absurd already. Honestly, I even feel that people that want this to be the next Naruto/One Piece are just kidding themselves.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hedge all your bets on short shows. You hardy ever go wrong with them. There's a reason the top five of this season is basically just filled with those shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom