• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Futari wa Precure - 10

hTmxvHR.png

Honoka focused episode. Poor
robbers. ;_;

How would a fight even work? Doesn't everyone in Dragon Ball have the ability to destroy the planet?

I know right? I love One Piece, but even Chi Chi would wreck Nami.

Humanity Has Declined 1

The op is pretty fun but the girl dancing is kind of awkward and stiffish. I think it works for the fairies...perhaps if Assistant was doing it too. I dont think she is honestly a good lead character for the anime, too manipulative, lazy, and just gives orders without making any contributions. Otherwise this depressing anime seemed to try to inject some comedy and I did laugh a bit but kind of a dull start until the factory.

I hope Assistant has a huge role, by far the best character.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Meanwhile, Accel World in an alternate universe...

Better or worse? You be the judge.

In other Kawahara news, it looks like Sword Art Online volume 12 is scheduled to be released on April 10.

Worse. The eyes in particular just don't fix with the tall and slim Haru.

Meanwhile, Accel World in an alternate universe...

Better or worse? You be the judge.

In other Kawahara news, it looks like Sword Art Online volume 12 is scheduled to be released on April 10.
Thats actually really good take on Haruyuki-kun, massive improvement. Perhaps give him megane like Taku and he'd be just as good as him too.

Thoraxes

It's true, but people don't understand the beauty of wife appeal (Ultima pay attention). The reality is that Saori's appeal is almost entirely in her perfect wife potential. Saori could make you dinner, tend to your emotional needs, and rear as many children as you could ever want. She could be your one and only woman, but when you just want to fuck, you would obviously use one of your mistresses. Ideally someone younger and tighter like your girlfriend's daughter, or your niece. The problem is you can't take your niece home and have her make you a meat and potato stew for dinner and then eggs in the morning. That's why Saori is the best out of the GuP team.

I'm crying from the beauty right now.

You truly have a way with words.

wonzo

Banned
Humanity Has Declined 1

The op is pretty fun but the girl dancing is kind of awkward and stiffish. I think it works for the fairies...perhaps if Assistant was doing it too. I dont think she is honestly a good lead character for the anime, too manipulative, lazy, and just gives orders without making any contributions. Otherwise this depressing anime seemed to try to inject some comedy and I did laugh a bit but kind of a dull start until the factory.

I hope Assistant has a huge role, by far the best character.
... I really, really don't know what to think of this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
... I really, really don't know what to think of this.

Well, I think we've finally gone as low as we can go with the "males are inherently better characters" thing now that a
SILENT CHARACTER
has been dubbed the best by virtue of his penisosity.

You mean Shueisha?
The manga isn't a hit either. Despite decent rankings in the Jump the volumes barely sold above average.

Eh, the manga sells fairly well. It's not a smash hit, but 400,000 is a lot more than just 'above average'. It's just not a big hit on the level of some other Jump series like One Piece, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter or Kuroko.

Depends on how long Shueisha can keep Shimabukuro's tastes in hookers secret.

Secret? People have known about that for a decade.

We'll never reach OT -7 at this rate.

Way to go, kayos.

Mobile Suit Gundam 33

So it turns out Amuro's dad isn't a horrible guy, he's just
brain damaged
and I actually applaud the show for the way it has handled Amuro's relations with his parents thus far. It's been very real. Also, we met Lalah, and now I hate Yurin of Gundam AGE even more because Yurin is just Lalah for losers. Oh, and Amuro met Char and he reacted as all human beings do in the presence of such untouchable beauty. And then there was a fight and Amuro went Super Saiyan.

One thing I like about the way they've introduced the infamous Newtypes, though, is that they eased me into it, rather than dumping it on me. Amuro has been getting faster and faster, and now his brain has kinda ascended to a new level. Rather than "OH HEY A GIRL TOUCHED ME AND NOW I CAN SEE THE FUTURE XROUNDERXROUNDERXROUNDER"

Lalah is great. She injects a lot of life into the show at a crucial moment.

I do think it's rather interesting how long the series actually took to introduce Newtypes. They're a major part of Gundam, but they don't really get introduced until near the end. Which actually helps the series stand out some compared to some of the later series where you have Newtype powers right from the start.

Nafe

Nice new avatar Mad Pierrot. I like it.

Also, regarding Gintama, I haven't watched the show yet so has anybody put together any kind of list or database with regards to all the references and parodies made each episode or is everyone on there own there?

--

Maybe the main character is a fish.

Funny enough part of the show actually deals with talking about a fish. Although it's used more as symbology and a metaphorical sense.

Yoshiura's character art was still really rough during Mizu No Kotoba. His characters don't lose that roughness until Time of Eve, so that's probably why they look so weird in that fisheye shot.

Ah, Okay. I was wondering if it was trying to attempt a fisheye type shot and just came across as kind of weird due to bad art.

Run on sentence... anyway go watch Eve no Jikan.

Yeah, it kind of was. I'm going to watch Pale Cacoon first and then move on to Time of Eve.

Noisy Birth really isn't necessary to watch, but I'd definitely recommend his other works for people who enjoyed Time of Eve.

Don't forget to check out Pale Cocoon, his 30-minute short. It's easily his best work outside of Time of Eve to me, and has amazing atmosphere and CGI work.

Yeah, I'd recommend the latter two but people can really skip the music video if they want. If someone is really curious it's not that big of a deal either with it only being about two minutes.

I plan to watch Pale Cacoon next followed by Time of Eve and then take a look at those Patema Inverted shorts if they're still around.

[Serial Experiments Lain] - 1

Just wanted to let you know that I read through all of your post. It was interesting but I don't really have anything I can add. I only saw bits and pieces of the show on television years ago but with the little bits I saw I realized it was a show one would have to give their full attention to, so unfortunately due to being so hit and miss with being able to watch it, I naturally missed a lot. It's been a show I've been wanting to go back and watch all the way through at some point.

After writing that long-ass stretch of text I have to ask - where's PoetricProse?

I'm not sure, I posed this question myself earlier.

Futari wa Precure - 10

I was thinking of this episode just earlier and if you had seen it yet but I couldn't remember what episode number it was. Now I know.

Nice new avatar Mad Pierrot. I like it.

Also, regarding Gintama, I haven't watched the show yet so has anybody put together any kind of list or database with regards to all the references and parodies made each episode or is everyone on there own there?

I'm sure some insane person has but there are way too many for a normal person to keep track of.

Gundam AGE Episode 49 or "I'm Still Standing" [End of Gen 3] {End of Show}

I pushed myself to watch the final 6 episodes all in one night. I just wanted to end this quickly. I managed to watch the whole thing though. I guess that's something!

Anyway it ended with:

-
Flit finally getting over his stupid revenge schtick. "Forgive them and forgive yourself". Flit actually did good in this episode. Well done to him!
-
Kio beat the final enemy, the clone of Ezelcant who had no personallity whatsoever and was a complete waste of time. Kio saved him in the end because he just can't kill anyone anymore.
-
The war wasn't 100 years long, it was 63 years long.
-
All is at peace at AG 201 with a memorial of Flit being erected. Corvosol didn't get his wish of him being named as a war criminal after all.

My Feelings about the show.

This was the show that has been named 'The worst Gundam series of all time' and yes, by far, it is from what I've watched so far. It is boring, predictable, 95% of the mobile suits are ugly and 90% of the main characters were awful.

Although, there are anime out there, that are far worse than this can even dream of. This may be boring but it wasn't flat out wrong. This anime wouldn't creep out someone who has never watched anime and I appreciate that.

Gundam AGE is a paint by numbers Gundam series but only the numbers on the paints were mixed up. It takes no risks and dares to do absolutly the bare minimum it needs to do. It takes bits and pieces from all the big series of Gundam: 0079, Zeta, Wing etc. and does nothing new or interesting with them, at worst it ruins them entirely.

Overall if you want to watch a Gundam series and you want to watch AGE, be aware that it is on another level compared to the other series. It is not something I would recommend. Although if you insist on watching it, you should be fine as long as you leave your brain at the door.

Final Rating: 4/10

Gundam AGE Episode 48 or "Gundam AGE and The Eternal Diva"

You're almost there !!!

Gundam AGE Episode 49 or "I'm Still Standing" [End of Gen 3] {End of Show}

I pushed myself to watch the final 6 episodes all in one night. I just wanted to end this quickly. I managed to watch the whole thing though. I guess that's something!

Anyway it ended with:

-
Flit finally getting over his stupid revenge schtick. "Forgive them and forgive yourself". Flit actually did good in this episode. Well done to him!
-
Kio beat the final enemy, the clone of Ezelcant who had no personallity whatsoever and was a complete waste of time. Kio saved him in the end because he just can't kill anyone anymore.
-
The war wasn't 100 years long, it was 63 years long.
-
All is at peace at AG 201 with a memorial of Flit being erected. Corvosol didn't get his wish of him being named as a war criminal after all.

My Feelings about the show.

This was the show that has been named 'The worst Gundam series of all time' and yes, by far, it is from what I've watched so far. It is boring, predictable, 95% of the mobile suits are ugly and 90% of the main characters were awful.

Although, there are anime out there, that are far worse than this can even dream of. This may be boring but it wasn't flat out wrong. This anime wouldn't creep out someone who has never watched anime and I appreciate that.

Gundam AGE is a paint by numbers Gundam series but only the numbers on the paints were mixed up. It takes no risks and dares to do absolutly the bare minimum it needs to do. It takes bits and pieces from all the big series of Gundam: 0079, Zeta, Wing etc. and does nothing new or interesting with them, at worst it ruins them entirely.

Overall if you want to watch a Gundam series and you want to watch AGE, be aware that it is on another level compared to the other series. It is not something I would recommend. Although if you insist on watching it, you should be fine as long as you leave your brain at the door.

Final Rating: 4/10

CONGRATULATIONS

You deserve it !
Did you pay attention on how they just showed the exa-db subplot in the toilet ..it deserved and served no purpose in the show

Syrinx

The iDOLM@STER 17

Ahem...

HHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGG SQUEEEEEEEEEEE *bounce* *bounce* *bounce* AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Makoto's tired of being seen as "boyish" and "a prince". So she wants to be a princess for a day, so she goes on a date with the producer (I'm pretty sure there's several conflicts going on with that) to the amusement park. But then some punks are picking on some girls, and Makoto's all "Fuck this princess bullshit, Imma fuck up these punk-ass bitches!" But the girls go crazy cause she's Makoto, and one of the punk-ass bitches tries to jump them while they're gathered round her, and producer takes the hit. And he encourages Makoto by telling her that she helped realize the dreams of those girls, which is an idol's job. Then there's an adorable scene on the merry-go-round.

Kazzy

[Neon Genesis Evangelion] - 8-10

We don't see the action very much, but when when we do, it's clear to see where the fate of earth really lies! In a world where everything seems to be horribly inefficient and/or is buried amidst a flurry of political dead-ends, Katsuragi is a resourceful shining light.

New character time! Asuka seems to have the right idea, she's off to a good start! Though this may very well become an ironic statement, it is refreshing to have a Evangelion pilot who isn't, you know, horribly detached (at least for the time-being). That said she is also fairly obnoxious from the beginning, and I can't help but feel that we're not really supposed to like her all that much. After-all, she is positioned as the exotic foreigner, with all the requisite cultural differences that entails. And needlessly berating Shinji at almost every opportunity?
Yeah, she totally digs the submissive waif.
Oh, that shaky German accent is shaky!

The Evangelion themselves are almost comical to me at this point, they barely work, rarely remain functional long enough to matter, and their operating procedure leaves a lot to be desired. It's almost as if they are designed with such oversights in mind.
But enough of me trying to second-guess the plot.
But like I have mentioned previously, it is these sort of practical details that I appreciate, and the more you see of the Evangelion's, the more it becomes apparent that something isn't quite right there.

Apart from Asuka's introduction, nothing much has really happened. In which case, I guess these past few episodes could be lazily classed as filler. Though, so long as that includes synchronized dancing robots, it's fine by me! But in all seriousness, it has gone some way into establishing the dichotomy between the three pilots. Asuka being brash and somewhat arrogant. Shinji is, well, Shinji, and Rei doesn't seem to really care much about any of it. That said, I would be shocked if some sort of triangle doesn't occur at some point. A real weird one, but one nonetheless.

It's strange, but I enjoy this show in spite of my general apathy towards the majority of the cast, especially the pilots. But maybe that's the point, given the context. It would hardly be a situation that'd foster the most affable of personalties. Which leaves Katsuragi as the notable exception in all this, because I do like her.

I'm generally so pessimistic with my impressions on this because the overall atmosphere is good at instilling a sense of foreboding. Even in these episodes that I would deem "filler", there is still a semblance of underlying tension. The house of cards analogy still holds.
And I'm getting anxious.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I've been busy trying to find a job and stuff so I haven't been posting that often. Sorry for not making this thread move fast enough.

Black Lagoon 2

I've watched a fair amount of absurd anime before, so this may sound weird, but...I'm just not buying this show's premise. I mean, after one day-ONE DAY-with Black Lagoon, Rock not only sees himself as a pirate, but he also designs the plan to get them past the gunship. And it wasn't an absurdly simple solution that only somebody with a unique perspective could see, it was
by using the abandoned ship they passed as a launching pad to fly up into the air and shoot a torpedo at it.

Then Rock wakes up later asking, "Why am I here? What am I doing here?", only later to tell his ex-employer, "Like you said, I'm dead. My name is Rock, now." It's just...really? He's already this badass pirate,even though he was a businessman half a week ago?

If you're having trouble even buying that part of the show then I think there are going to be things that drive you right up the wall later.

The iDOLM@STER 17

Ahem...

HHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGG SQUEEEEEEEEEEE *bounce* *bounce* *bounce* AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Makoto's tired of being seen as "boyish" and "a prince". So she wants to be a princess for a day, so she goes on a date with the producer (I'm pretty sure there's several conflicts going on with that) to the amusement park. But then some punks are picking on some girls, and Makoto's all "Fuck this princess bullshit, Imma fuck up these punk-ass bitches!" But the girls go crazy cause she's Makoto, and one of the punk-ass bitches tries to jump them while they're gathered round her, and producer takes the hit. And he encourages Makoto by telling her that she helped realize the dreams of those girls, which is an idol's job. Then there's an adorable scene on the merry-go-round.

Makoto could be the best girlfriend or boyfriend ever. She is universally perfect and best girl.

Nafe

I'm sure some insane person has but there are way to many for a normal person to keep track of.

Ah, Okay. It sounded like there were lot's and I was wondering how many I'd be able to recognize. I guess one has to resign themselves to the fact that they might be able to pick out quite a few but they'll probably miss a lot at the same time then.

Thanks! I'll eventually have lots of praise to heap on Futari wa, I just can't stop this train long enough to write anything. I'm already halfway through.

I plan to go back and watch through the whole thing sometime myself. I'll read whatever write up you make after you're finished with the show then.

Apparently a couple kids made the trek all the way from Inaba for a background cameo in the latest Gyrozetter episode.

dUbla9J.jpg

That's pretty neat. It looks like Yu and Yukiko together there in front of the blue banner and then Chie and Yosuke together on the next floor in the background.

This sounds like a job for Nafe!

Hmm, I don't think so. There are so many shows I haven't seen yet or I wasn't sure how specific or vague some might be. That's why I was asking if someone else had already made one up instead.

zeroshiki

[Neon Genesis Evangelion] - 8-10

[/spoiler]

Asuka Strikes! is my favorite EVA episode. Its just fun and Asuka's character (at the time) was pretty fresh. When you think about how much apart of Eva lore Asuka is, its kinda surprising to think that it took 8 episodes before they introduced her.

CONGRATULATIONS

You deserve it !
Did you pay attention on how they just showed the exa-db subplot in the toilet ..it deserved and served no purpose in the show

This is only the beginning of my watching of 'awful' anime! Although I'm not quite sure what to watch next...

Of course, it was bad enough that it got an episode to itself and had to rear it's ugly head in the last episode. There was little point of it being in the story whatsoever.

Syrinx

If you're having trouble even buying that part of the show then I think there are going to be things that drive you right up the wall later.

Like I said, I've watched plenty of absurd anime before, so maybe I'm being unreasonable (though I don't feel I am), but I just really don't like the way they've handled Rock/Okajima's character at all. He seems bipolar, like he's constantly shifting between the businessman and the pirate without anything provoking it whatsoever.

This is only the beginning of my watching of 'awful' anime! Although I'm not quite sure what to watch next...

Of course, it was bad enough that it got an episode to itself and had to rear it's ugly head in the last episode. There was little point of it being in the story whatsoever.

what killed me ( in laughter) was :
That they could have stopped the mars ray if they put their ressources and the part of the exa-db database they got into that direction rather than go to war. In short if exelcant wasn't a moron he could have saved his people

Try Nyanpire. You will shed tears...

Please , he just finished gundam age , let one's mind to rest a little before going on another journey !

Kazzy

Asuka Strikes! is my favorite EVA episode. Its just fun and Asuka's character (at the time) was pretty fresh. When you think about how much apart of Eva lore Asuka is, its kinda surprising to think that it took 8 episodes before they introduced her.

Only so much can happen in one episode. And Asuka... I remember when Iwatched this show back in high school, I immediatly fell in love with her. So don't you dare minimize her appearance.

I don't really like her at the moment, but we'll see.

Try Nyanpire. You will shed tears...

This interests me greatly.

what killed me ( in laughter) was :
That they could have stopped the mars ray if they put their ressources and the part of the exa-db database they got into that direction rather than go to war. In short if exelcant wasn't a moron he could have saved his people

Please , he just finished gundam age , let one's mind to rest a little before going on another journey !

Of course, nobody listened to each other because both sides had leaders who had one-track minds.

Also there is no need for my mind to rest when watching bad anime. I can take it on no problem!

From the New World 18:
They definitely continue to highlight
the disturbing way in which the people with power manipulate others. It was just a quick scene in this episode, but the scene where the monster rats are forced to fire on their allies was quite disturbing.

The plot is definitely moving very quickly now.
We've got an all out war between the humans and the monster rats, because Tomiko and her cronies aren't ready for Yakomaru being the hero that the world deserves. I'm also curious as to what is going on with the claims of the DNA testing for the bodies. Did Tomiko make that up to save Saki and Shun from getting caught?
All in all, the show remains fantastic. There was some particularly good usage of music in this episode, and I liked the way that
they jumped back and forth between the council meeting and the festival to keep things flowing in two different times at once

Considering the absolute lack of sympathetic characters in Eva, gravitating towards Asuka is pretty natural. Unless you're one of those kuudere freaks.

It also just generally makes sense because Asuka is the best character in the show.

cajunator

Banned
The iDOLM@STER 17

Ahem...

Yup.
Takane is best girl for me personally but Makoto is a VERY close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom