• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping Railgun is good. I really didn't enjoy the first season...

I was about the same until 6 Episodes in, then I really enjoyed it. The ending arc in the season was probably my favorite out of any series I have watched so far. The build up and the eventual release was just amazing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
His Psycho Pass was at the level of a non lethal round, but looks like the cyborg chairwoman hacked it into rocket launcher mode.

Space Brothers - 44

Brilliant episode, although that episode title had the cynic in me thinking there was a "but" somewhere, well played, well played.

If you use the Dominator on an Enforcer it's set to non-lethal Paralyzer. It can't be set to Eliminator.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
After the newest installment, the Index/Railgun franchise going to be at ~100 episodes combined, isn't it? Damn.

I tried Index S1 a couple of years ago but I remember bailing when there was a loli teacher or something. Does it ever get good or is it just standard LN plot the whole way through?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Kiss X Sis OVA] I already forgot which number we are on.
jTORLCc.png
KsAAhBe.png
Those were the only SFW screencaps I could find short of me sharing this Oscar-worthy dialogue. Kiss X Sis > To-Love-Ru.
You're gaining...nothing. All your doing is delaying how long it takes you got get to the OH MY GOD finale stuff. Don't you ever want to reach OP 2?
My MAL compels me to watch everything. I have to give Nadia a fair review, and that can only come by watching it the way it was originally watched.
You just want to see Nadia in her Island outfit. You pervert.
It's hard to refute this after I've been watching Kiss X Sis!

After the newest installment, the Index/Railgun franchise going to be at ~100 episodes combined, isn't it? Damn.

I tried Index S1 a couple of years ago but I remember bailing when there was a loli teacher or something. Does it ever get good or is it just standard LN plot the whole way through?
After the first arc the teacher basically leaves the plot, only coming back once in a blue moon. as a passby character but yeah, it gets good; especially around the Sister Arc where Misaka becomes a main character. Though I like Season 2 of Index more than Season 1, and Railgun blows them both out of the water.

Railgun >> Index 2 >>Index 1

Yeah, you really shouldn't use imgur for large infographics. Not only do they shrink them, they tend to have horrible .jpg artifacting. Hard to read small text that way.

I went searching for a full sized version if anyone is feeling lazy: Link

Otaku no Video

The live action bits were certainly an interesting part of the show. Though they don't ultimately seem to accomplish much but the same "gag" if you can even call it that. They eventually chop up the pacing and get in the way of the otherwise interesting story. They go from macabre to silly in the way that they depict Otaku. Perhaps this was some 'more culturally relevant now than then' lampooning of the media depicting Otaku as degenerates. Or maybe they just wanted to laugh at themselves.
Yeah, the pacing issues they caused were certainly tedious, but I did find myself enjoying the absurdity of the skits. It's a little depressing when you realize there are definitely people just like that (perhaps much worse), but I don't think it was really meant to be malicious. I think it was more about shining a light on the darker sides of their industry's fans. They aren't embarrassed by them, or they wouldn't try to associate them with themselves.

My general thoughts encompassing the OVA from when I watched it a few months ago-
I really enjoyed Otaku No Video. It really felt like Gainax’s love letter to the things that attracted them to the industry, the acknowledgement of what was wrong with the culture, the potential for passion and dreams, and their desires for what it could become in the future. It’s a little bittersweet watching this in an age where Gainax has gone through so much, they have had such a strong influence on the culture, and have changed so much to watch this semi-autobiographical and semi-prophesying OVA. It could be pretty easy to say the passionate, almost naively ambitious Gainax that created such works as Daicon and Royal Space Force no longer exists, but the qualities that embody Kubo are still major sticking points in stuff like Gurren Lagann. It’s easy to forget Gainax’s humble beginnings, and it was really fun seeing their attempt to preserve a piece of their history and inspire others in similar situations over the course of this short work.

The second episode seemed to completely step all over the first by making everything go from down-to-earth otaku story to
complete bat shit crazy escalation of a self made company.
For a second I was almost a bit sad that they abandoned any chance at a real story, but that slowly faded and was gone completely when
there was a 30 something year time jump and tokyo was underwater and they traveled down to otakuland where they piloted the mecha into space in search of otaku planet. Just wow.
I'm assuming this two-off was just a fun project for Gainax in general. It's not a "must see" or anything, but I think it helps establish a sensibility of early Gainax.
Yeah, I found the leap quite jarring initially. However, it makes sense in the context of Gainax's history. Not 100%, mind you, but it's a lot easier to draw parallels to the action on screen and real life events than I imagined it would be. Well, except for the ending, hahaha
Maybe Gurren Lagann, though? Hmmm!

Speaking of that, I remember awhile back someone posted a link to a huge write-up on Gainax history. Anyone still got that?
I doubt it's either, but both of these are worth looking at.
http://www.animeigo.com/liner/anime/otaku-no-video
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393259

/XX/

Let's persevere.
Is your patience wearing thin already? Lets wait to see your impressions on the Africa Arc. That episode 34 is practically like the icing on the cake! :)

>:-D

Speaking of that, I remember awhile back someone posted a link to a huge write-up on Gainax history. Anyone still got that?
The Conscience of the Otaking: The Studio Gainax Saga in Four Parts
http://www.gwern.net/docs/1996-animerica-conscience-otaking

This one? I remember posting it not long ago after the amazing quality review post of this OVA by Typographenia (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45981437#post45981437).

Oh! Look who is above this post!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thought I'd construct one of the papercraft designs I've had sitting around.
ibcFhHhmOS9TvM.jpg

Just a first draft to work out how the thing goes together so the cuts are a bit rough and it's on flimsy paper. When I find my box of more suitable tools (only had a pair of scissors on hand) I'll redo this and give the other three a go.

After the first arc the teacher basically leaves the plot, only coming back once in a blue moon. as a passby character but yeah, it gets good; especially around the Sister Arc where Misaka becomes a main character. Though I like Season 2 of Index more than Season 1, and Railgun blows them both out of the water.

Railgun << Index 2 << Index 1

I went searching for a full sized version if anyone is feeling lazy: Link

You got those signs backwards.

Railgun is infinitely better than Index.

All of the "Magic" aspects of the series is awful.

This one? I remember posting it not long ago after the amazing quality review post of this OVA by Typographenia (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45981437#post45981437).
Ah, thank you! I wanted to go track it down, because I thought it was likely right after my post, but I couldn't remember where the heck it would be in the anime threads at this point, haha.

; )

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think you should just stop reading out of context spoilers or asking people to explain the entire show for you, so you can make assumptions of how the storys and characters are like.

it would be like me asking you to explaining one of the serious gintama arc to me all that's going to achieve is sour my enjoyment of it, since i have an idea of some of the stuff that take place.
I'm really the anti-spoilerphobe, inasmuch as I think you can't have meaningful discussion of a text without actually talking about it in detail. It's why I find most professional media criticism fairly wanting these days.

As for making assumptions though, I can only take educated guesses since I don't know if I'll catch up with 600 episodes of OP any time soon.

waht wtf do you really need a blooper reel to tell you the violence in a movie isn't real and really there all buddy buddy, am going to have to call you out and say your issue on violence is a load of nonsense.

Gintama is same in that regard in episode 29 I watched kagura be attacked by a maniac sword hunter then he threw her off a tall building only for her to have monologue about how she doesn't want to die then magically appears her trusty space dog running up said building vertically then kagura strikes back just by poking his bum with a stick, after he tried to kill her.

My reaction to the lack of consequences to the violence speaks me to the morality that I believe Oda is trying to convey more than anything else.

The more I think about it, this type of violent yet anti-violence message is prevalent in Japanese culture. Thinking back on Yakuza 4, none of the main characters use guns in cutscenes. The characters that actually do use guns end up dying, even the one character that isn't considered a villain.
(It also pulls the trope of letting the villain go, only for the villain to turn around to try to kill the hero)

Of course the difference is that the villains still manage to die in the Yakuza games, even if the heroes aren't the ones to actually kill them.

And this is doubly more interesting to me, because if you draw it back to the primary source of heroic bloodshed, those early HK films... well, the body counts are quite damn high and the heroes had no qualms about picking up guns and using them.

One piece and gintama are both cartoons/anime they aren't real, violence is used to entertain the audience in both of them.
You need to make up your mind, one second complaining about the wacky nature of fights being bloodless(or so you say) then in the next few lines you complain about having are heroes bloodied

are you high? one second your complaining about the lack of of blood(if you saw it you should know there is blood) then your complaining about there being blood.
It's clear your far too emotional invested in this gintama vs one piece war that's supposedly going on in animegaf and your far to focus on making silly comparisons to gintama.

Am normally always trying to get people to watch one piece in animegaf but in your case I say don't watch it, no point in watching something you don't want to like, no one is forcing you to cheat on gintama.

Again, my point here was that the villains are allowed to enact violence on the protagonists, to the point of near homicide, but the heroes are not allowed to do the same to the villains.

In each of the four battles at the end of Nami, the fishmen make no qualms about their desire to end the lives of the Strawhats. One dude pulls the chef into the water precisely because he wants to kill him.

That the heroes have to be restrained is an interesting writing decision to say the least. It's almost like the silly cop out that Batman isn't allowed to use guns or kill criminals because of some twisted sense of morality that he has regarding his role in crime fighting.

http://i.minus.com/ibcFhHhmOS9TvM.jpg

Just a first draft to work out how the thing goes together so the cuts are a bit rough and it's on flimsy paper. When I find my box of more suitable tools (only had a pair of scissors on hand) I'll redo this and give the other three a go.
I suppose you have to make one out of plastic sheets now because she has to be invisible. lol

Those were the only SFW screencaps I could find short of me sharing this Oscar-worthy dialogue. Kiss X Sis > To-Love-Ru.
The one shot I've seen of the girl manually manipulating herself next to a body pillow of some Sengoku general reminded me of madpierrot, given his Sengoku obsession. lol

You got those signs backwards.

Railgun is infinitely better than Index.

All of the "Magic" aspects of the series is awful.

*Facepalm* I can't believe I missed that.

I have to agree, the magic is pretty bad. In Season 1 it was tolerable, but Season 2 is much better in terms of how it flows. But yeah, Index fight scenes are pretty standard. Touma goes in, gets his ass kicked a bit, they talk for an hour then Touma punches them. In Railgun the scenes are just much more enjoyable because the formula switches around so often.

..Also this

Mature

Yep! That's the one. Thanks.

Neat. I'll take a look at these too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Awesome. It was fate that we got more people to watch this show this season!

Eh, it's a lot less episodes that Sazae-san!
Bit slow there Jex. Should read a few pages down before quoting. ;)

The idols go to London.
Hopefully they venture further south than County Hall.

My body is ready.
You mean lady.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Damn, beaten to my own Kanetsugu joke :lol

I'd save that image to mock fujoshi down the line, but it's not like there'll ever be another Sengoku show with male characters anyway.

Narag

Damn, beaten to my own Kanetsugu joke :lol

I'd save that image to mock fujoshi down the line, but it's not like there'll ever be another Sengoku show with male characters anyway.

Why would there be? The portrayal of Oda Nobunaga as a adult man is a gross historical inaccuracy.

Sazae-san Episode 3,202 or "The ninja related episode".

This episode was a lot of fun actually. It was quite easy to follow despite being weird in some places.

- Namihei is really harsh on punishing his kids. He locked up Katsuo in a closet and barricaded it with a plank of wood.
What's weird is that suddenly a miner(?) popped up after he let Katsuo out which was a bit odd.

- The bit in the picture where a bloke was hiding behind the tree was odd. No idea why he was like that.

- A random photographer teleported in front of Sazae and Masuo. Reminded me of the photographer in Earthbound.

- Katsuo and Tarao (Sazae's son) took some guy's umbrella in the end.

- No rock paper scissors.

cajunator

Banned
Call duckroll

I want this figure. I have not even seen the movie yet!
I feel so left out :(

Watching this on loop (WARNING: Actual Toradora spoilers, don't click if you haven't finished the series)

+

Listening to this on repeat

=

A profound feeling of both happiness and extreme sadness simultaneously. Why am I doing this to myself? =/

Watch Bunny Drop. If you've already seen it, watch it again.

Steins;Gate 1-4 - Rewatch

Got the BD's in from Right Stuf the other day. Watching this time with the dub, which is really quite good. The show looks amazing in HD as well. Having seen the series once already it's interesting to go back through from the beginning and seeing how everything ties together. I love the show.

Steins;Gate is sooooooooo good. Probably the most recent show that I was able to marathon entirely almost without pause. Im trying to rewatch it again with one of my friends but work always gets in the way. We made it to episode 6 so far.

cajunator, your wallet is already dead

bctj9mhcmaevj5a-jpg-large.jpeg

Ah yes. I noticed this one. I put it on my list.
If someone makes a Tsumiki figure in a yukata I am totally buying it.

My MAL compels me to watch everything. I have to give Nadia a fair review, and that can only come by watching it the way it was originally watched.

It's hard to refute this after I've been watching Kiss X Sis!

A Wii next to Ps3? Looks like my room.

ibcFhHhmOS9TvM.jpg

Where do you get these?

To be fair, Kanetsugu Naoe is quite a catch.

RUuMrknl.jpg

Kill it with what you must. Just make sure its dead.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Space Brothers 44

Man, all I could think about this episode was just what was up with those weird lines around their eyes? I can't say I've seen anything else like it before.
Well when I first noticed it, it was when Hibito was
dying
. So I assumed it was meant to show signs of that. When they started adding the lines to other characters that's when I got a bit confused.

THE dream.
Work is not part of the dream.

Ironically by discussing how spoilerworthy it is I am now aware of how spoilerworthy it is
Technically my avatar is semi spoilerworthy, but only those who know the spoiler would get it.

I like Mini Japan... period.

Some animegaf related WF poo

And etc stopping before duckroll permabans me &#65377;&#65381;&#65439;&#65381;(&#65417;&#1044;`)&#65381;&#65439;&#65381;&#65377;
iblEjI0wXlurFG.png

Oh look. No Mitsuba again. Today I blame Good Smile.

( &#8790;&#8255;&#8790;)
Did you just propose a game of pretend to DTL?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Futari wa Precure is completed, thank the heavens.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 05:

Well SDBurton, you're officially going to overtake me in the next day or two because I just can't do more than a couple of episodes of this per day. I'm going to go regenerate a few brain cells catching up on Chihayafuru.

I dunno man, we'll see how it goes. I was switching back in forth from watching this and reading the manga of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Recently finished Phantom Blood last night, about to start Battle Tendency). Going to read a few chapters of that and get my head straight before even considering tackling Max Heart.

Narag

[Dangaizer 3] 4

welp wanted to like it but it was basically masturbatory self-indulgence on Obari's part. If you like tits, ass, and/or giant robots, this is a show for you though as that's all there is. There's a story of some sort but I have zero idea what it was.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Dokidoki! Precure] 02
That was much better than last week's. I would have played the "I shouldn't let my friends know I'm a super heroine" factor a bit more, as in actually putting Rikka into danger in order to heighten the drama, but at least we had some moments of self-doubt and not so perfect perfectness with Cure Heart. :SDBurton goggles are also recommended.

Sword is still the best.
Sounds like an excuse to be an obsessive compulsive completionist.
Would you blame a cancer patient for having to take chemotherapy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom