• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

No way EVA 1 had 7000 frames. Maybe the standard ~3000 or a bit below, I don't know it has been ages since I watched it, but it's totally possible that Anno managed to make 700 frames work.

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar 7

So usually when someone is ranting about being a hero, I'm inclined to hate them (SNOW, FFXIII), but I love that the reason everyone is so confident about everything in this show is because someone is a true hero. I love this show's innocence, I think. Some Mecha shows are moving or serious, or comical, but this show is innocent, and with so many grimdark serioussarcasticsour Mecha floating around, it's I dunno, comforting to sit down and watch an episode of something that feels so utterly wholesome, whimsical, and innocent. GaoGaiGar reminds me of Power Rangers when I was a kid. It really is the kind of show I wish had been on when I was young, because it's just so utterly welcoming.

In GaoGaiGar, everybody loves you.

Necrovex

All right, I have a decision to make, a vital anime one. For a long while, I have owned all of Yu Yu Hakusho, (the blu-ray collection). I just realized that I haven't gotten far in the series (the first major fight, i.e. the tower). I just reached episode 20 of Gintama. So, I want to know if I should drop Gintama for now, and plow through Yu Yu Hakusho, or continue to play catch up on Gintama?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Does this exclude mouth movement? If so, I wouldn't be surprised. All the action is pushed to ep 2, and non-action in eva is all about still shots.

Dresden

All right, I have a decision to make, a vital anime one. For a long while, I have owned all of Yu Yu Hakusho, (the blu-ray collection). I just realized that I haven't gotten far in the series (the first major fight, i.e. the tower). I just reached episode 20 of Gintama. So, I want to know if I should drop Gintama for now, and plow through Yu Yu Hakusho, or continue to play catch up on Gintama?

I'd hit up YYH first, it being over and all.

Might as well do YYH, its not like Gintama is ending anytime soon.

Novid

Banned
Yeah Namco is doing good things this summer with Project X Zone and One Piece 2. I also got Jojo coming in August and that will probably come out in the US.

If MomoCon any indication, if JoJo (TV series) comes to the states via Toonami - then they will bring JoJo to the US.

jbug617

Banned
Kotoura-san 8

Well that was interesting. It was funny when Minabe was testing his theory. Also from the previews seems she is going to be
psychic to help solve crimes

Cwarrior

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen the first episode of EVA. But 700 frames seems shockingly low.

That makes me wonder how low does the frame count need to be for it, to no longer qualify as animation.

0.58 frames per second average is crazy low, explains why it looked so bad.

Articalys

By the end, I want someone to make a video of every iteration of the second Psycho-Pass opening playing side-by-side in a grid pattern or something so I can tell all the differences apart. I only watch the show once a week; I'm not going to notice any incremental changes like that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Does this exclude mouth movement? If so, I wouldn't be surprised. All the action is pushed to ep 2, and non-action in eva is all about still shots.
That seems to be the case. Most of the action in episode one is relegated to JSDF trying to repel the angel, and that is not the big chunk of the episode. It's not uncommon to finds cuts like this one that linger for dozens of seconds while the characters are filling in some of the plot points for the show. I think the most resource-intensive cut after the beginning of the episode has to be at the very end, with the EVA getting released from its cage.

CorvoSol

The 08th MS Team 4

Today's Very Special Episode was about Sanders' curse. I guess every 3rd mission with a team, his entire team DIES. Which is pretty awful. Guy seemed really broken up about it and all. But Shiro, Joshua, Elidor, and that guy whose name I forget proved they could even break a jinx and so were totes ready to take on the whole Viet Nam conflict. Or whatever. Meanwhile Ainoa piloted a Mobile Armor and we saw, again, that Mobile Armors are dumb and that Mobile Suits with Samurai helmets and red goatees are where it is at.

Mobile Armors are DUMB.

Oh, and for whatever reason they translated "Hail Zeon!" to "Sieg Zeon!" just to, you know, play up the whole "Ghirin and his followers are Nazis" approach. Which is odd, considering Char is meant to be the Red Baron of WWI.

wonzo

Banned
iU56LZVsriWgr.gif

Who needs anime when you've got Yusuke Murata.

Syrinx

Usagi Drop 11- End

Nice way to end this I think.
The show never really had much flair to it, so it ending on Daikichi reflecting on his time with Rin and what he's learned seems fitting. Like any good parents, the ones here look back and don't really see themselves as having sacrificed or as any worse off for having and raising kids. Things are different, but still good. Besides, how could they not be when you look at Rin's smile?

In the end it was a story of maturation, not just on Rin's part but also, arguably more, with Daikichi. I like Daikichi's conversation with Kazumi at the end for this, when he says
that he doesn't think Rin has changed, just that she's finally becoming herself. And ultimately, this was due to Daikichi giving her an environment in which she could grow.

I really enjoyed this series, and I'm glad I watched it.

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 4

I can't stand looking at Setsuna. I look at him and all I see is Shinn Asuka. Ugh, and he's like some hellish cross between Heero Yuy's and Rei Ayanami in that he only ever whispers monotone stuff. UUUUUGH. Only 4 episodes in, plenty of time for Kira Yamato to show up and usurp this chump. I mean for me to grow to like Setsuna.

Anyway, aside from the fact that Setsuna is a terrible character and Celestial Being is a pretentious name and an organization with childishly idealistic goals, this was a fairly decent episode. We met this show's Gundam Princess (she's prolly no Seyla, though.) and we got to see MURICA pull a fast one on Pretentious Being, so that was nice. The idea of a South American country being ticked at USA was also believable.

So there was this white haired, yellow eyed character introduced and I'm not sure if they're a boy or a girl but I'm praying its not more Xehanort Gallette/worst Char clone EVER going on here.

Like seriously, if that thing is this show's Char clone, I am disappoint.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gundam 00 4

Everything I know about Gundam 00 I learned from Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, but if that's any indication, then yes, Setsuna is annoying as hell. I absolutely hated the missions that forced me to play as him, just because I had to hear WE ARE GUNDAM WE ARE GUNDAM WE ARE GUNDAM ad nauseam.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyperfocused community threads do nothing but further isolate topics from broader discussion. Good for things like K-on, less so for Jojo.

CorvoSol

Everything I know about Gundam 00 I learned from Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, but if that's any indication, then yes, Setsuna is annoying as hell. I absolutely hated the missions that forced me to play as him, just because I had to hear WE ARE GUNDAM WE ARE GUNDAM WE ARE GUNDAM ad nauseam.

I'd like to say it's a shame because the rest of the rest of the cast is so good, but really, so far I only like Lockon and Haro.

BluWacky

Hyperfocused community threads do nothing but further isolate topics from broader discussion. Good for things like K-on, less so for Jojo.

Jojo doesn't seem to provoke broad discussion, though. At least, not in here. It's mostly people going SO MANLY or WHY IS THERE NO ANIMATION (with the exception of this week). What broader discussion do you think the anime alone should start in here?

It seems to me from what's been discussed in here that the OT was becoming very manga-orientated, which is presumably what the Community thread will be like. I didn't realise the Jojo thread had swelled to such proportions that it needed one - or has it not, and it's just a spinoff for people to talk about stuff other than Jojo?

CorvoSol

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 4

Hahahaha, WOW, the only thing George is missing to be the Frenchiest Frenchy of all time is frog legs, a beret, and the phony accent. Bwahahahaa. This show is silly and great. Also, whycome Domon don't appreciate Rain?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jojo doesn't seem to provoke broad discussion, though. At least, not in here. It's mostly people going SO MANLY or WHY IS THERE NO ANIMATION (with the exception of this week). What broader discussion do you think the anime alone should start in here?

It seems to me from what's been discussed in here that the OT was becoming very manga-orientated, which is presumably what the Community thread will be like. I didn't realise the Jojo thread had swelled to such proportions that it needed one - or has it not, and it's just a spinoff for people to talk about stuff other than Jojo?
It's not even necessarily about spinning off discussion as it is providing exposure or at least opening up the possibility of outside input. It is not as though places on these boards do not exist where people can talk about the Jojo manga.

Taishou Yakyuu Musume 10

Disregard whatever I said about other episodes, THIS is the most :SDBurton episode yet. Kyouko's lady lust leads to a realization that she should not be useless and there's a montage. Good episode, I hope the finale is a 2-parter.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Taishou Yakyuu Musume 10

Disregard whatever I said about other episodes, THIS is the most :SDBurton episode yet. Kyouko's lady lust leads to a realization that she should not be useless and there's a montage. Good episode, I hope the finale is a 2-parter.

Oh memories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom