• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Gao Gai Gar 13

Uppokun is like a suckier version of Bontakun.

And he looks like a Likitung. Oh man does he look like a Likitung.

Naruto SD 48
tumblr_mj7nb4bV4r1qbxqfpo1_500.gif

Sai should have been in more episodes, Sai and Lee were massively hilarious. Second skit on Konaha Village of the Dead had some good moments. Was sad when they said that only three episodes remain, but at least Orochimaru and Kabuto have delivered so much quality.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Haly I don't think we can be sexy friends anymore. That Phantom of the Opera movie with Leonidas was terrible, I mean TERRIBLE, especially the awfully-framed swirly-wirly camera work.

Well I haven't watched it in a while, so maybe I'm misremembering it.

Can we still be normal friends at least?

(Out of curiosity how do you feel about Amadeus)

CorvoSol

GTO 7

Onizuka does home visit dating style. And students can just barge in and watch him take a shower. Kinda weird. Anyway, it's nice to see that even the most unrepentant of jerks in Onizuka's class have a good reason why. I like that kind of character development going on.

BluWacky

What about the Phantom of the Opera book? Is that a good read?

Absolutely. It's not high class literature, but it's a very enjoyable gothic horror novel.

Incidentally, Masachika Ichimura, a very well respected stage actor who has played the Phantom in Shiki's long-running production of the musical, is the voice of Mewtwo in the Pokemon franchise.

Metrotab

Banned
I hate how my local library doesn't have the Count of Monte Christo. And 'ordering' it costs money. So I have to go to a distant city library to loan it, and then return it again at that distant city library. It's so moronic in what is considered to be the Information Age.

Haly

But the Count of Monte Cristo and The Lord of the Rings are older than that!

Lord of the Rings sucks. PJ's movies were better.

Everything I wanted to know about Arda's minutae I learned from The Silmarillion.

Articalys

Also, if we're talking Famitsu scores, the Vita ports of both the Steins;Gate games got 9/9/8/7 each.

In more important news, for those living in or around Boston:
Director Mamoru Hosoda will appear at the New England premiere of Wolf Children, which will be held at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge on Thursday, March 14 at 7:00 p.m. Hosoda will be available for questions after the screening.

The screening event, which is free and open to the public, is part of MIT's Cool Japan project, which promotes examination and discussion of Japanese media and popular culture. On the same day as the film screening, MIT Professor Ian Condry will also speak at 4:00 p.m. about his new book The Soul of Anime.

Haly

Okay, Wikipedia informs me that 1984 was published in 1949 so I may have to extend that to "the 40s" on a technicality.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I hate how my local library doesn't have the Count of Monte Christo. And 'ordering' it costs money. So I have to go to a distant city library to loan it, and then return it again at that distant city library. It's so moronic in what is considered to be the Information Age.

Why not just read it online? Its in the public domain anyway.

Honestly not a fan of the book. But god damn did I love the anime.

BluWacky

You know that Monte Cristo is in the public domain, right? You could just read an ePub version or whatever if you really want to avoid spending money, it would be legal to do so.

EDIT: sorry, too slow, my apologies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I lived in Toronto for a year or two and I saw it then. Although that was when I was what the scotts refer to as a "wee bairn", so I don't remember much. I saw it again much later on Broadway when I could actually appreciate it.

Wow, you lived in the hog town? That's wacky. So you've basically been contaminated by Canadian germs!

Metrotab

Banned
Ah cool. I'm the same way. Got a Kindle for Christmas and I barely use the thing because I can't deal with it.

Sadly won't really have much of a choice in the not too distant future :/

I think digital reading will be a supplementary choice, not a replacement. Physical books are so ingrained into our culture I don't see them ever disappearing. It's not like vinyl records or CDs where it's a matter of technology ageing, printed media has been around for 5 centuries.

Articalys

Attention British GAF: (English?)

There's apparently going to be a Princess Mononoke stage play put up by some theater company called "Whole Hog Theater". Suzuki Toshio of Studio Ghibli even attended some kind of press event for it.

I expect you guys to go see it and give a full report.

http://www.wholehogtheatre.com/doing-it/princess-mononoke
That's the one that's actually going to be performed in Japan too, right? Should be interesting to see the reception it gets over there,

Branduil

Puchimas 47

bikini clad puchidols are straight up gross

This is exactly what my sister said the other week when asking for book recommendations. smh

This gives me an idea for a new light novel series: My Little Sister Only Reads Light Novels About Little Sisters.

I think digital reading will be a supplementary choice, not a replacement. Physical books are so ingrained into our culture I don't see them ever disappearing. It's not like vinyl records or CDs where it's a matter of technology ageing, printed media has been practicable for 5 centuries.

Corrected. Sad.

Well maybe some people will strive away from civilisation into the woods, where they hold up the almost forgotten tradition of printing stuff on paper.
Until they chopped all the forest down that is.

Erigu

Here's an odd question: do you folks think that part of the premise for manga and anime of Cobra was based, in part of Philip K Dick's short story We Can Remember it for you Wholesale or is it just a crazy random happenstance that it shares a similar plot element?
I can't imagine that was a coincidence, personally. I don't think Terasawa ever said anything about that though.
(For what it's worth, a Japanese translation of Dick's story had been published in the December 1972 issue of SF Magazine, back when Terasawa was 18.)

Articalys

More fun facts regarding the sales failure that is Gundam AGE: the combined ranked Oricon DVD+BD sales of all 13 volumes of Gundam AGE are less than the first week, first volume, DVD-only sales of the first season of Gundam 00.

In short, across its entire home video existence, Gundam AGE has sold less than Gundam 00 did in its first five days ever.

Haly

Wow, you lived in the hog town? That's wacky. So you've basically been contaminated by Canadian germs!

Do you know Forest Manner elementary school or the Fairview mall? I lived in that area.

Jintor

I think digital reading will be a supplementary choice, not a replacement. Physical books are so ingrained into our culture I don't see them ever disappearing. It's not like vinyl records or CDs where it's a matter of technology ageing, printed media has been around for 5 centuries.

Depends whether I'm reading for pleasure or for work/school, really. I love books. But I also like my incredibly heavy readings being available in PDF form so I can carry three textbooks in a bag without exploding it.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I can't remember if this has already been addressed - but does anyone know if JoJo will continue into the third arch? Or should I just go ahead and watch the OVAs after Battle Tenancy ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom