• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humanity Has Declined 5

This em wave story is decent but has a few dry moments I think, though at least it has some tension and suspense. Fairy Density segment was probably my favorite part.

Articalys

I can't remember if this has already been addressed - but does anyone know if JoJo will continue into the third arch? Or should I just go ahead and watch the OVAs after Battle Tenancy ends?
Nothing has been outright confirmed yet, but given the strong sales so far (and the popularity of the series in general), most people believe that it'll happen. If it does, it wouldn't be until Fall at the very earliest, though.

OreImo Episode 3 or "I must confess...

I think I went "Where's the OP?" about 5 times during that, at least they tacked it on the end. I want it to appear nice and early for Episode 4.

As for the episode, I must confess...I'm hooked. Didn't think I would, but there's something about it that's making me keep watching and no it's not just the OP although that was the initial reason for me watching this.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Nothing has been outright confirmed yet, but given the strong sales so far (and the popularity of the series in general), most people believe that it'll happen. If it does, it wouldn't be until Fall at the very earliest, though.

Sweet. Good idea to watch the OVAs anyways (or one of the two at least)?

Also, I hope to god the soundtrack for Battle Tendency is as good as Phantom Blood. Sometimes it's hard to judge the merits of an OST while watching a show. The music is used in snippets and there are obvious distractions making it impossible to give it your full attention. The OST for Phantom Blood is masterfully crafted, dark, and brooding. There are little pockets of beauty, where the the light kind of shines through, and then it throws you back into the darkness. It's just so enveloping, warm sounding, and brilliant.

You guys gotta get this.

Nafe

[Toradora!]

As my thread title implies I'm a bit late to getting to your final evaluations for Toradora but I just wanted to let you know that I read it and it was a good read.

Now the unfortunate part is that I don't really have anything interesting to add or respond with other that to say that I largely agree with your general summations of the show. I kind of like the character designs and the show definitely does have it's good moments but unfortunately it does get crippled a bit by the melodrama and general misunderstandings and such as well as some of the character interactions feeling a bit artificial or contrived in order to meet some predetermined end.

So to belatedly answer this question, no.

The same for me. While the show does have it's good points, it didn't leave me with an abundant amount of so called "feels" after viewing the show, unlike some others posters in the thread.

Hyouka 4 (Rewatch)

I just wanted to respond to say that I've been reading and enjoying your posts about your re-watch of Hyouka as I quite like the show myself. I'm not caught up with them yet, though you mentioned that some people think that this earlier arc is maybe the weakest in the show but personally I also quite enjoyed it.

It was interesting to see you pointing out what looked like the group of kids preparing for the quiz for the festival. The fact that that little detail is quickly shown, this early in the show as well, just seems to really highlight how much attention to detail KyoAni really brings to their shows.

Of course! Now that I know the reason behind it I'm kind of relieved. Sometimes one can't know when people will stop posting definitely, unless there is a previous warning.

A bit late getting back to you but if I were to not post in the thread anymore, for whatever reason, then I would make a post informing anyone whom it might interest.

If I was simply on an extended leave of absence then I'd try to also post beforehand or take the time to try and mention it during my leave as well to inform anyone who may be interested.

Hey it's Solune! I was actually going to inquire about your whereabouts as the last time I was in the IRC a few weeks ago a few different posters had mentioned they hadn't seen you there for awhile either.

As usual, when I'm bored enough and stumble across something like this, avatars are made.

k2tb0X4.png
gW5YlcA.png
BRDF6q0.png
5gRc3Ea.png
Njd4C7O.png

woy00uW.png
htcemMa.png
NNnZ9T7.png
wRCk1Zg.png

Hey, neat! Thanks.
It's too bad they don't have one for Nonna and I wanted to see the Italian girl. I can't remember her name right now...

OceanBlue

I'm pretty sure alot of it is pandering and not really writer projection. They're not that disgusting.

I don't really know much about the authors so I can't say much on that, but this is how I feel about it too. I doubt every writer is legitimately a siscon or that every writer wants to add a bunch of fetish material in their stories. Some of them probably just want to tell a story and can afford to, for example, stick cute girls or an all-girl cast. Others probably just want a paycheck, lol.

Theonik

I can't remember if this has already been addressed - but does anyone know if JoJo will continue into the third arch? Or should I just go ahead and watch the OVAs after Battle Tenancy ends?
Nothing has been confirmed. OVAs are decent. The 90s a lot more than the 2000 one.
Note the 90s OVA covers the second half of Starlight Crusaders while the 2000 the first half.

Jintor

I wonder what the dividing factor is between getting feels [being affected by] from Toradora and not. I see a few people pointing to the artificiality/contrivances of the melodrama and situations, which never stood out in the moment for me.

Kids on the Slope 5

Really touching episode especially for Kaoru. Sentarou in the room overhearing the mom issue and helping him get the confidence to make the journey was one of the better displays of friendship in awhile.

jun is seriously outta the plot? They said hes missing? Kind of wish they did say why the mom left

789shadow

Banned
Binbougami ga 5

HOLY CLIFFHANGERFALLER

Jormungand: Perfect Order 5

The continuing adventures of Kasper, the not so friendly ghost.

Mankind Has Fallen 5

TheBlobRemake7.jpg

Narag

Texhnolyze 22 (END)

KptbkLR.gif

I really don't know how to properly write down my thoughts on this show other than that it depressed the hell out of me. The world presented was pretty well built, the characters were human even though some physical parts of them may have not been, and the plot while somewhat confusing at times was as entertaining as it was, again, soulcrushingly depressing. I need to watch something fuwafuwa Jesus Christ.

The chart prevails.

All-right I made a bunch more.
This is actually the first time I explore this type of Strike Witches content. Haven;t seen the show either. Possibly something I need to fix.

You definitely should watch it, though I say that because I'm in charge of keeping Strike Witch love alive and well. Also so many decisions, I'll decide eventually.

=====================================

Hidamari Sketch x ☆☆☆ 3 (rewatch)

Really nice episode with lots of Yuno development along with some Sae development. These two together make for great moments, and you realize how similar and yet so different they are from each other. Sae is always unbearably adorable when she puts up a mature onee-san attitude when she's still just a kid too.

From the New World 22:
This was a decent episode, but it definitely felt like it was over way too soon, and a bit padded out. There's definitely some important setup here that should play out in interesting ways for the following episode, but I just didn't think enough really happened. I can't be too critical, though, because it was all still very enjoyable.

CorvoSol

Rin-ne No Lagrange S2 7

Okay, no, seriously, Moid is up to something sinister. SUPER sinister. What that is, I don't know, but you can only smile and have sideways glances so many times before I HAVE to suspect you of something.

Anyway, this was an episode about bonding and stuff and mostly for setting us up for the next, and presumably final arc. Really loving this show. And apparently
Asteria
is shaping up to be the fifth ranger. Hopefully this means less having to hear about Yurikano.

Narag

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman 9

whoa
where the hell did sakura get all those teeth?
I credit whatever mysterious budget increase that resulted in the last two eps being so ace. secret best show of winter

Syrinx

Futari wa Pretty Cure 9

Is it wrong that I was hoping Mepple would die? He and Mipple are the worst characters ever.

Maybe Nagisa's family having her committed will be a plot line further down the road. That'd be fun.

CorvoSol

The 08th MS Team 10

I still don't think their Final Boss material, but I'll be damned if Goufs don't basically make every episode they're in way cooler. Freaking Gouf in this episode ruined those Guntanks (no surprise, since Guntanks are almost as bad as Mobile Armors).

And Lameass McDumbvillain killed all his teammates with poison and then a grenade so no one could have his stupid Mobile Armor. Have I mentioned I think Mobile Armors are stupid? They ALWAYS lose to Mobile Suits. It's like a Rock Paper scissors thing, except there isn't anything that Mobile Armors trump.

Branduil

zeroshiki

In case anyone was wondering, the quote from the SCEJ president regarding Vita sales says "compared to the last 2 weeks, sales have gone up 4x" which implies its 40k+ this week.

It doesn't mean the sum of the last 2 weeks. Japanese doesn't work that way. Now, he could be wrong for alot of other reasons but from the quote itself, thats what he meant. It would take a tortured reading of it to get 80k. Sorry.

To steer this towards anime, that's a shitty result considering the price cut and the release of the new Senran Kagura. The week Miku released, it sold 50k.

And in the most recent chapter of "anime as seen from outside the fandom", U.S. magazine Popular Mechanics decided to make a list of the "Top 50 Greatest Sci-Fi TV Shows", and included five anime series:

8) Neon Genesis Evangelion (their description here is hilariously awful)
20) Space Battleship Yamato
26) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
35) Cowboy Bebop
41) Gatchaman

(their number one choice overall was Doctor Who, if you're curious)
I guess no one at Popular Mechanics has seen Gunbuster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom