• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Seriously though, putting Voyager ahead of Cowboy Bebop easily invalidates the entire list.

And Sliders is way too high for a show that became one of the worst series of all time, comparable to scifi-channel-monster-movies-of-the-week, by the end of its run.

And in the most recent chapter of "anime as seen from outside the fandom", U.S. magazine Popular Mechanics decided to make a list of the "Top 50 Greatest Sci-Fi TV Shows", and included five anime series:

8) Neon Genesis Evangelion (their description here is hilariously awful)
20) Space Battleship Yamato
26) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
35) Cowboy Bebop
41) Gatchaman

(their number one choice overall was Doctor Who, if you're curious)

My granddaddy would get that mag, guess next time I see him I could bring up discussion of this and suggest eva or yamato 2199 for him to view.

7Th

@Aikatsu 21
Aiuuq0U.jpg
TRUE IDOL DRAMA

Actually, it was a pretty fun episode. Lack of CG dancing helps the show a lot.

More fun facts regarding the sales failure that is Gundam AGE: the combined ranked Oricon DVD+BD sales of all 13 volumes of Gundam AGE are less than the first week, first volume, DVD-only sales of the first season of Gundam 00.

In short, across its entire home video existence, Gundam AGE has sold less than Gundam 00 did in its first five days ever.

That's pretty harsh. But deservedly so for that series.

cajunator

Banned
Futari wa Pretty Cure 9

Is it wrong that I was hoping Mepple would die? He and Mipple are the worst characters ever.

Maybe Nagisa's family having her committed will be a plot line further down the road. That'd be fun.

lol yeah Nagisa probably makes her family wonder if she is talking to imaginary demons or something.
mipple and mepple are the worst.
some people hate Porun too but they have hearts as black as the night.

CorvoSol

More fun facts regarding the sales failure that is Gundam AGE: the combined ranked Oricon DVD+BD sales of all 13 volumes of Gundam AGE are less than the first week, first volume, DVD-only sales of the first season of Gundam 00.

In short, across its entire home video existence, Gundam AGE has sold less than Gundam 00 did in its first five days ever.

Tastes like justice to me. Gundam 00 is not what I'd call greatest Gundam of all time, but man if it isn't better than Gundam AGE.

Still a toss up for me over which is the worst mecha of all, though: Gundam RAGE or Rip-off Xephon.

MF G Gundam 10

MY NAME IS DOMON KASSHU AND I WILL BLOW UP ANCIENT NEO EGYPTIAN ROBOT MUMMY GUNDAMS AND YOU AND YOUR STUPID FEELINGS CAN'T STOP ME RAIN!

Syrinx

Futari wa Pretty Cure 10

Honoka episode. Automatically amazing right? Well...in some ways yes and some ways no.

Honoka herself brings her A-game. As adorable as ever. But that whole thing with the robbers was pretty ridiculous. At the end especially. When they decide they're gonna start a new life when they get out. Uhhhh...dude....maybe the law in Japan is different than 'merica, but...armed robbery of a high-end jewelry store...yeah, you ain't starting over for a looooonnnggg time. I realize they're supposed to be inept, but damn. Also, who the hell displays something that costs over 3 million yen in the fucking window?

Honoka's parents are weird. They sure spoil Honoka and act lovey-dovey to her for a couple of parents who only see her, like, a few weeks a year, tops?

I love Uga. He's a lovable oaf. A very endearingly dumb villain. I hope he doesn't get destroyed.

Also, I never asked this before, but is there some sort of international law stating you can't attack a magical girl while she's transforming? Does that violate the Geneva Convetion or something?

Articalys

Also, I never asked this before, but is there some sort of international law stating you can't attack a magical girl while she's transforming? Does that violate the Geneva Convetion or something?
There have been scientific studies on magical girl transformation sequences (and transformations in other series as well). Doesn't explain Alice's security cameras from DokiDoki though.

zeroshiki

Futari wa Pretty Cure 10

This is also true for Combining Mecha.

There was actually a series who lampshaded this. The enemy-of-the-week in an episode of Voltes V could actually interrupt their transformations and beat them all up. They then developed some kind of electric shield that guards them during the combination sequence allowing them to finish combining and beat the enemy.

CorvoSol

Revisit the notion when you finish it because dat ending

No Gundam series can end as terribly as Gundam AGE.

In Mobile Suit Gundam, the Hitler figure is shot IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD, by his own damn sister. In Mobile Suit Gundam AGE they build a statue of him with a metal dick sticking out for the ceremonial suckling of all who come to pay fealty. In Gundam SEED the guy who plans on firing nuclear weapons at the space colonies dies a horrible death and is mourned by none. In Gundam AGE the guy who plans on firing nuclear weapons at space colonies is again, commemorated with a statue for everyone to suck off.

I applaud Gundam AGE for having the audacity to be the Gundam series where the villain is the protagonist.

Narag

No Gundam series can end as terribly as Gundam AGE.

In Mobile Suit Gundam, the Hitler figure is shot IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD, by his own damn sister. In Mobile Suit Gundam AGE they build a statue of him with a metal dick sticking out for the ceremonial suckling of all who come to pay fealty. In Gundam SEED the guy who plans on firing nuclear weapons at the space colonies dies a horrible death and is mourned by none. In Gundam AGE the guy who plans on firing nuclear weapons at space colonies is again, commemorated with a statue for everyone to suck off.

I applaud Gundam AGE for having the audacity to be the Gundam series where the villain is the protagonist.

I was more referring to the movie that wraps everything up! You can read my spoiler free impressions here.

fertygo

It almost made up for the second season entirely. Almost!

Eps 12 with first memento mori attack was great too!

But no matter how sucky 00 was, the fast action directing >>>>>>>> trash pile of AGE. And what movie? 00 doesn't have any movie.

CorvoSol

I was more referring to the movie that wraps everything up!

The way Gundam 00's plot is meandering right now, I can't tell if there's anything TO wrap up. So many damn characters to be honest I don't know what's going on. Why do I have to keep seeing Crossroads and his lame ass relationship? Why do I care about reporter chick? Why are we focusing on those two gay men out in the woods? Why can't we pay attention to just the Gundam pilots and the villains and call it a day?

Narag

Eps 12 with first memento mori attack was great too!

But no matter how sucky 00 was, the fast action directing >>>>>>>> trash pile of AGE. And what movie? 00 doesn't have any movie.

It burns so bad though after the amazing promise of that first season. Hell even the first ep of the second season seemed to headed down the right path but noooooope.

fertygo

It burns so bad though after the amazing promise of that first season. Hell even the first ep of the second season seemed to headed down the right path but noooooope.

AGE might be have the greatest premise of mecha series.

100 years wars, multi-generation protagonist, but LOOOOOOOOOOOL

00 at the very least only decide to became super generic 90's mecha anime.

PsionBolt

Futari wa Pretty Cure 10

This is actually really commonly addressed. Most Precure series take the Space Sheriff Gavan route of "its actually instantaneous", but Futari wa and Splash Star just use magical barriers. It's actually really plain to see in FW - that giant rainbow pillar is made of enemy-zapping death. It might be in SS, but I swear they use it offensively at least once.

Narag

AGE might be have the greatest premise of mecha series.

100 years wars, multi-generation protagonist, but LOOOOOOOOOOOL

00 at the very least only decide to became super generic 90's mecha anime.

I was thinking about that first annoying arc in AGE the other day and found myself realizing I really liked the story in AGE. So much little stuff I'd written off as unimportant actually was important. It's a shame the execution in every nearly every other facet was abysmal to average save for the sexy Gundam fights.

zeroshiki

duckroll keeps taunting him with One Piece Z impressions and he decided to end it all rather than continue on like this.

The poor lad. :( :( :(

Cardfight!! Vanguard Asia Circuit ep 85 (eng dub)
tumblr_mj82hbGtDJ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Vanguard always has good beach episodes, and I loved this second part to it. Just the various match ups and characters going off on their own self improvement trips made it really enjoyable and the middle section having voices and character moments. Easily Toshiki Kai and Miwa were the best, though Kamui, Reiji, and Eiji too.

If Misaki truly doesnt use her main Goddess of the Full Moon strategy in Oracle Think Tank anymore...Kamui's new Battle Razor upgrades were the best though

cajunator

Banned
This is actually really commonly addressed. Most Precure series take the Space Sheriff Gavan route of "its actually instantaneous", but Futari wa and Splash Star just use magical barriers. It's actually really plain to see in FW - that giant rainbow pillar is made of enemy-zapping death. It might be in SS, but I swear they use it offensively at least once.

Im pretty sure that transformations get interrupted in Nanoha.
also in Futari wa precure
the two girls get separated by the villains later on before they can unleash Marble screw

Futari wa Pretty Cure 10

First thing first the precures in splash star do learn to instant transform but they don't start with this skill as it is.They actually use this skill at least 3 times in their serie.

Second you can't attack a magical girl while transforming , all magical girls have "the storyboard plot armor advantage" skill letting them use the stock footage to gain time on animation . Sailor moon is guilty of this , so was doremi and so many magical girl shows ( heck even nanoha use that too at some points ).
It's a unwritten rule followed by everyone except comedy shows.

Third there are several laws for magical shows you need to be aware of . One commonly used is the fact that nobody recognise you while transformed.

Fourth : Enjoy precure dammit.. most of the season transformations are considered to be indeed instantaneous.

Shergal

Hyouka 8 (Rewatch)
MDUbTE6.jpg

Damn straight.
This is probably among the weaker episodes of Hyouka if you ask me. It's only partially saved because the home-made movie gimmick from Haruhi is back in full force.
I really like Noriyuki Kitanohara's work as an animator, and he is great with comedy, but this episode of his didn't strike me as very remarkable. There's some good staging, the introduction of Irisu was okay, but on the whole it was simply 'correct', and with a script where nothing much happens, the result isn't a really strong episode.

I also thought the animation was worse than usual, with some static shots and boring drawings here and there; it's still very good of course, but not on the level of the rest of the show. The film did feature some nice "bad acting" parts though, I guess I can commend that.

As for the story, it was obvious since the beginning that Irisu had some intention not revealed to the viewer, but it was nice that they put little things signalling Hongou's circumstances in the episode, like Chitanda asking about her (which also doubles as a good point for her characterization, since she is the one who brings up the matter in episode 11). The editing for that part makes it somewhat more tense than the rest of the episode, and so it's easy to tell that there is something fishy about her/her situation.

Besides that, I enjoyed the little glimpses of students preparing for the Festival:

Something as glorious as that arc even needs in-show effort to be accomplished!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Futari wa Pretty Cure 9

Is it wrong that I was hoping Mepple would die? He and Mipple are the worst characters ever.

Maybe Nagisa's family having her committed will be a plot line further down the road. That'd be fun.

Savor the episodes when it's "just" Mepple. Because, well, it's coming...

W7gm0W2.png

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PGSM showed a transformation from a third party point of view at one point, I think. Near instantaneous!
In both directions, too, which is in line with certain third party scenes in the manga.

The anime, though, has them be in the final pose afterward and the visible ribbon mechanic is meaningful during under-duress half-transformed states.

Futari wa Pretty Cure 9

As a rule, Precure mascot characters are annoying shitstains.

All of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom