• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blood C: The Last Dark

This was disjointed as hell. It's like a cancelled Shounen Jump series that still got a conclusion, but in the weirdest way possible. A lot of scenes felt like they didn't connect to each other right or something.

First hour was boring shit. The rest of it wasn't bad. Animation was all over the place. Couldn't even process some of the movement without watching an action a few times. Some of it was pretty good though, but I'd expect more out of a movie.

It wasn't awful, but this really isn't the finale Blood C deserves.

Articalys

Well, for anyone that watched Maken-Ki... you're getting a bit more of it.
The 11th volume of Hiromitsu Takeda's Maken-Ki! action romantic comedy manga will bundle an original anime Blu-ray Disc in a limited edition in late September. The publisher Fujimi Shobo teases that the new anime is full of "sex appeal" and fan service on a tropical island.

The 3,990-yen (about US$43) bundle will also have a variant cover for the manga volume, and the print run will be limited to the number of pre-orders received.
I guess this is the "new anime adaptation" that they teased a while ago.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I never found any HC mascot to be insufferable; if they were something, it was easily ignorable. No clue if this applies to other Precure shows.

The Precure mascot continuum of shititude:

Tarte = Cologne > Wisdom > Chypre/Coffret/Potpurri > Hummy > Candy > Charles/Raquel/Lance > Fairy Tones > Mipple/Mepple > Heartiels > Chiffon > Coco/Nuts > Milk > Porun

Can't comment on the Splash Star mascots yet but they're probably awful.

Sweet. Good idea to watch the OVAs anyways (or one of the two at least)?

Also, I hope to god the soundtrack for Battle Tendency is as good as Phantom Blood. Sometimes it's hard to judge the merits of an OST while watching a show. The music is used in snippets and there are obvious distractions making it impossible to give it your full attention. The OST for Phantom Blood is masterfully crafted, dark, and brooding. There are little pockets of beauty, where the the light kind of shines through, and then it throws you back into the darkness. It's just so enveloping, warm sounding, and brilliant.

You guys gotta get this.

You can watch the OVAs (2001 one first), but keep in mind it's a relatively neutered adaptation that cuts out a lot. The trade off is it has some damn good animation which a part 3 from David Production likely wouldn't have. I'd still watch that too when it starts though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know how one particular example of something leads you to believe that the entire subject needs to be wiped out entirely?

Porun did that for me. I'd kill them all just to remove him from existence.

Branduil

Blood C: The Last Dark

This was disjointed as hell. It's like a cancelled Shounen Jump series that still got a conclusion, but in the weirdest way possible. A lot of scenes felt like they didn't connect to each other right or something.

First hour was boring shit. The rest of it wasn't bad. Animation was all over the place. Couldn't even process some of the movement without watching an action a few times. Some of it was pretty good though, but I'd expect more out of a movie.

It wasn't awful, but this really isn't the finale Blood C deserves.

I think it's exactly the finale Blood-C deserves, LOL.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know how one particular example of something leads you to believe that the entire subject needs to be wiped out entirely?

Porun did that for me. I'd kill them all just to remove him from existence.

oh yeah, genocide 'em.
one of the only two good mascots is already dead anyway :lol

So, odds of this fucking monstrosity in Dokidoki ending up worse than Porun:

hnHoeqP.jpg

I'd say 50/50 on design alone.

duckroll

http://curiouscope.com/?p=1693
http://curiouscope.com/?p=1660

Otona Joshi no Anime Time is an animation program targeted to women above 30 called Otona Joshi. The word Otona Joshi literally means grown up girls, and the word represents women who are eager to grow, learn, stay pretty and fashionable, enjoy life, seeking real love etc…regardless of their ages and their social status(single, married, with kids, no kids etc…). Therefore, Otona Joshi no Anime Time literally means Animation Time For Grown up Girls.

Each show presents 25 min. complete short story based on works by award winning & best selling female novelists in Japan. The show visualizes deep and ambivalent feelings of women in beautiful animation, a marriage of Japanese literature and animation! In each story, you may find part of yourself.

The idea was proposed by Curiouscope, and is co-produced with NHK Enterprises and NHK.

3 new stories will be aired in March 2013 on NHK BS Premium channel.

Title: Jinsei Best Ten, Original by Mitsuyo Kakuta

March 17 10:50~11:15 pm

A story about a single career woman who is becoming 40. Though her life seems decent, she feels that she hasn’t achieved anything in 40 years. The most brilliant event in her life is the kiss with her first boy friend when she was 13…nothing more dramatic happened since then. Today, she’s going to a reunion with a big expectation to meet first boyfriend for the first time in 25 years. A comical and a bittersweet story. Jinsei Best Ten means, the best ten events of my life. (Photo: Actress Miki Nakatani and Voice actor Hiroshi Kamiya)

Ne2LiCZ.jpg

Jinsei Best Ten

Staff
Director: Yo Miura
Character Design: Hiroko Kazui
Script: Reiko Yoshida
Animation Director: Tomokatsu Nagasaku
Music: Mine Kawakami
Animation Production: BONES

Main Cast
Miki Nakatani
Hiroshi Kamiya

---

Trailer (it's the second one): http://www.nhk.or.jp/bswomen/special/25.html

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm concerned my honest enjoyment of the show will vanish into thin air as soon as that thing shows up.

Fresh survived Chiffon, which was another baby mascot that forced the characters into a nurturing role, but this thing is just so creepily humanoid. Who the fuck allowed this thing into the show?!

wait a goddamned minute now, Porun is one of the cutest things ever.

please tell me that this is just some kind of passive-aggressive spite and not what you actually believe ._.

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 10

Oh for the love of- can we not have ONE Gundam pilot who isn't ridiculously convoluted in some way? Oh, well, at least Neil's convoluted thing isn't THAT far fetched. And the Nadleh's reveal was cool. Still want Tieria to die in a fire, and for Hallelujah to stop this split personality nonsense. It was so much better done with Lady Une.

Narag

Gundam 00 10

Oh for the love of- can we not have ONE Gundam pilot who isn't ridiculously convoluted in some way? Oh, well, at least Neil's convoluted thing isn't THAT far fetched. And the Nadleh's reveal was cool. Still want Tieria to die in a fire, and for Hallelujah to stop this split personality nonsense. It was so much better done with Lady Une.

You'll get one in the second season but I'm pretty sure you'll end up hating him. Hallelujah stuff actually has a neat payoff that makes it worth dealing with early on.

CorvoSol

But they all have issues.

You can have issues. Just not be stupid contrived. I have no problem with Amuro having a father who is messed up and getting all uppity and freaking out when he kills someone because those were all believable issues. I have no problem with Quatre snapping briefly and blowing up a colony because hey, they just murdered his father for no good reason. I had no problem with having understandable issues.

I DO have problems with the contrived, convoluted bullcrap that passes for personality in Gundam 00. Tieria is probably a cyborg or something. Hallelujah has split personalities and oh noes now he thinks he is a monster! Setsuna killed his own parents because God is evil! Lockon has a guy who looks just like him or something! Quantum brain mechanics and Maesters oh my!

It all sounds like something I'd write in a fan fic 10 years ago after I'd just finished FF10 or something.

zeroshiki

I still can't believe they used a soap opera trope to introduce the new Lockon in S2. Like, seriously. How stupid is that? Looks like him, sounds like him, acts like him, even has the same freaking skills >_>

Milamber

You can have issues. Just not be stupid contrived. I have no problem with Amuro having a father who is messed up and getting all uppity and freaking out when he kills someone because those were all believable issues. I have no problem with Quatre snapping briefly and blowing up a colony because hey, they just murdered his father for no good reason. I had no problem with having understandable issues.

I DO have problems with the contrived, convoluted bullcrap that passes for personality in Gundam 00. Tieria is probably a cyborg or something. Hallelujah has split personalities and oh noes now he thinks he is a monster! Setsuna killed his own parents because God is evil! Lockon has a guy who looks just like him or something! Quantum brain mechanics and Maesters oh my!

It all sounds like something I'd write in a fan fic 10 years ago after I'd just finished FF10 or something.

It's exponential then. Sunrise has no other option than to go even more psychotic with their pilots. Maybe that's why they're doing that original gundam reboot, Amuro ain't crazy enough.

fertygo

I still can't believe they used a soap opera trope to introduce the new Lockon in S2. Like, seriously. How stupid is that? Looks like him, sounds like him, acts like him, even has the same freaking skills >_>

2nd Lockon is more like Gunslinger than Sniper but yeah.. Sunrise screwing both R2 and 00 lol

duckroll

The fact that people still talk about Gundam 00 so long after the fact shows that it still generates interest! Maybe Sunrise was doing something right after all....

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm laughing at how easily this concession is made.

We've suffered together. :(

Soon I'll pick up the banner where you fell in Max Heart and carry it across that terrible and unseen finish line. This is the time that all of my training was for.

btw weren't you going to watch Smile in exchange for me watching SuperS? I won't have a good night's sleep until I see you sporting a Wolfrun avatar.

CorvoSol

The fact that people still talk about Gundam 00 so long after the fact shows that it still generates interest! Maybe Sunrise was doing something right after all....

I still talk about Gundam AGE, but I don't have anything good to say about it.

Can the next Gundam series not suck, please?

Narag

2nd Lockon is more like Gunslinger than Sniper but yeah.. Sunrise screwing both R2 and 00 lol

I prayed every day Neil didn't actually die then some game came out and showed his still face with blood on it and a shattered helmet visor. I think the condensed movie version had something similar that left no doubt that he was dead dead dead.

That said, Haro taking Dynames back to the Ptolemy and the slow realization of what happened as he keeps crying out for Lockon is like simultaneously so damn sad yet so damn good. Probably the best part of the show, maybe even the emotional apex!

CorvoSol

I eagerly await 00 S3.

Much more like than 3rd Raid at this point :(

Awww man, now you've reminded me how sorely I miss FMP!. Would kill to see Sigma animated. And then kill again to get FMP! and Rin-ne into the next SRW.

Depends, how much do you hold MS Gundam Original close to your heart?

Not that much. It was great, but it's not like Wing, which I love to pieces in spite of its faults.

Narag

It's like group therapy for people in abusive relationships. It was great when it started out but look at us now. Surely the bad times weren't going to last forever, right? ...right?

duckroll

It's like group therapy for people in abusive relationships. It was great when it started out but look at us now. Surely the bad times weren't going to last forever, right? ...right?

I paid like 16 bucks to watch the Gundam 00 movie in a cinema. No amount of therapy can help me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Soon I'll pick up the banner where you fell in Max Heart and carry it across that terrible and unseen finish line. This is the time that all of my training was for.
There are productive tests of endurance like the Boston marathon and then there's seeing how many times you can slam your head against the wall before you pass out.

This is the latter, man. Quit while you're still sane.

I won't have a good night's sleep until I see you sporting a Wolfrun avatar.
I'm already using the canid-themed avatar I had in mind for when I finished Wolf Children. It can be in Wolfrun's honor too!

Nafe

Heartcatch PreCure!

Episode 3

Near the beginning of the episode Erika mentions that Tsubomi isn't wearing her glasses and changed her hair style. I noticed that before and wondered what had happened in regards to her glasses. Is she wearing contacts or does she not really need them and it was just a self aware visual representation of her being more introverted and closing herself off to others?

Erika shows up a lot more in this episode unlike the last one and I didn't really have any problems here unlike during the first episode. If she was maybe in somebody's face a bit more it just felt more along the lines of a genki girls general excited nature or Tusbomi was now there to reel her in. The reaction faces were varied and entertaining this episode as well. I may be mistaken but I don't think I've seen a little microphone in the mouth to visibly show someone as yelling.

I've heard different one's mention a Cure
Marine
and now I know which show she's from and who it is. Actually her introduction into a PreCure is probably one of the most, or possibly the most, interesting I've seen. She just went through everything on her own and when asked how she knew it was basically she just used her "dream" as a PreCure tutorial and just did what she saw Tsubomi do, haha. Even her whole
I've actually been thinking up a name for myself since this morning
line was pretty amusing. Her transformation was pretty good too.

Naturally she's already in your face so the fight being analogous to something out of a video game would be like having your opponent just trying to block everything or getting hit and then suddenly switching out and going into full out offensive rush down mode.

The ultimate solution to the problems around this episodes person actually seemed really obvious right from the start. I immediately thought of it as at least a possible solution to try depending on how the school operates it's rules but ultimately it's not that big of a deal I suppose. The show is more aimed at little girls so having the message that they should have at least the opportunity to play soccer just as much as the boys is ultimately a good one.

The girls actually seem to be getting along pretty quickly. Although Erika did seem to take a rather instant liking to Tsubomi. I'm sure SDBurton was happy with the little bit of
hand holding
at the end of the episode.

The heart seed production still kind of weirds me out though...

I like the ending song and dance but I'm still not sure what to think of the designs.

Jex

Ruminating on Graham Aker's sad fate will never get old.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heartcatch PreCure!

Episode 3

Near the beginning of the episode Erika mentions that Tsubomi isn't wearing her glasses and changed her hair style. I noticed that before and wondered what had happened in regards to her glasses. Is she wearing contacts or does she not really need them and it was just a self aware visual representation of her being more introverted and closing herself off to others?

Erika shows up a lot more in this episode unlike the last one and I didn't really have any problems here unlike during the first episode. If she was maybe in somebody's face a bit more it just felt more along the lines of a genki girls general excited nature or Tusbomi was now there to reel her in. The reaction faces were varied and entertaining this episode as well. I may be mistaken but I don't think I've seen a little microphone in the mouth to visibly show someone as yelling.

I've heard different one's mention a Cure
Marine
and now I know which show she's from and who it is. Actually her introduction into a PreCure is probably one of the most, or possibly the most, interesting I've seen. She just went through everything on her own and when asked how she knew it was basically she just used her "dream" as a PreCure tutorial and just did what she saw Tsubomi do, haha. Even her whole
I've actually been thinking up a name for myself since this morning
line was pretty amusing. Her transformation was pretty good too.

Naturally she's already in your face so the fight being analogous to something out of a video game would be like having your opponent just trying to block everything or getting hit and then suddenly switching out and going into full out offensive rush down mode.

The ultimate solution to the problems around this episodes person actually seemed really obvious right from the start. I immediately thought of it as at least a possible solution to try depending on how the school operates it's rules but ultimately it's not that big of a deal I suppose. The show is more aimed at little girls so having the message that they should have at least the opportunity to play soccer just as much as the boys is ultimately a good one.

The girls actually seem to be getting along pretty quickly. Although Erika did seem to take a rather instant liking to Tsubomi. I'm sure SDBurton was happy with the little bit of
hand holding
at the end of the episode.

The heart seed production still kind of weirds me out though...

I like the ending song and dance but I'm still not sure what to think of the designs.
Best Cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom