• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I've gotten to the point where I can just judge a show based on the quality of conversation about it in this thread. For instance, any show where the discussion just instantly devolves to waifu wars is nearly guaranteed to be a bad show.

Irisu > Mayaka

Soma

Irisu > Mayaka

Oh yes indeed.

tumblr_m7l9avyqUs1qao70vo1_500.gif

zeroshiki

I feel like I've gotten to the point where I can just judge a show based on the quality of conversation about it in this thread. For instance, any show where the discussion just instantly devolves to waifu wars is nearly guaranteed to be a bad show.

How about husbando?

Taichi > Arata

It brings out the worst in some people.

Jex

Yeah, but people do that for Idolm@ster too.

Dresden

tamako market - 09

It was inevitable they'd get to the subject of Tamako's mother, but it's handled in such a charming way that--despite the tragedy inherent in such a thing--it never feels maudlin or sappy. Fond of how you see the romance take place across three generations of Kitarashikawas at once, with the father's story serving as something of a promise to the two daughters. It's nice to see things laid out early on in the show wrap up later on in such a satisfying fashion, too.

Kanna steals the show, every single time. Choi on the other hand feels more and more extraneous as time goes on. Confident in their ability to loop back into the prince/dera plot before the end, but still.

Kyoani saves Winter.

Dresden

joshiraku - OAD - 1/3

Absolutely killed it. So good.

Saving the other two skits for a rainy day. In a better world there will be more Joshiraku.

Instro

Branduil is #1 waifu, all others are ugly pig dogs.

Articalys

Sasami-san 9

Um...
Goddess Tsurugi looked really nice
. That's about all I can figure out right now, since I'm really tired.

Might give it another go tomorrow, or maybe not.

sonicmj1

[Windy Tales] - 5 to 9

The difference between Windy Tales and other works which tend to explore these kinds of ideas is that that Windy Tales tends to be a far more nuanced and subtle work. To bring out an example from this backlog season, Hatakari Main (which I am not watching, too my great shame) tells a number of one-off stories that are clearly meant to tell the audience something about a particular area of life but it's a far blunter show which is unfortuante because it leaves the audience with the impression that the show doesn't trust them. After all, if the show trusted the audience surely they wouldn't have to lay it on so thick? Windy Tales never lays it on quite like that, even when the idea being explored in the episode is discussed very explicitly. For example, episode nine is entirely devoted to Nao's father buying and riding a motorcycle. Now, a lesser show would focus exclusively on the conflict between Nao's parents, or it would look at men having a mid-life crisis or the dangers of riding. On the other hand, this episode of Windy Tales seeks to explore everything involved with owning a motorcycle: the good and the bad, the way the world looks when you're cruising on your bike, the danger of getting on one in the first place but it doesn't single out a particular area. It's a cohesive story because it isn't overly concerned with a single element.

This is a good insight, and it took me a few episodes of watching the show to really understand it. I'm so used to being beaten over the head by things that I didn't know what to do when a show stood back and let events speak for themselves. I can't think of anything that rivals Windy Tales' level of understatement. The only other show that I can think of that sometimes approaches it is Cowboy Bebop, and even that isn't really doing the same thing.

It makes the episodes feel a lot more organic, and it ultimately makes the show more rewarding for me.

The 08th MS Team 12

Anyway, in spite of its unnecessary ending, 08th MS Team was pretty good. As long as you can look past the terrible romance and focus instead on the good wartime story being told. And I'd like to state that I'm not in the camp that thinks love can't bloom on a battlefield. Shiro x Aina was just a really, truly dull love story.

Can you guess which episode was the final episode directed by the original director?

Grzi

What about a show where the main topic of conversation in this thread are toilets?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But firehawk12-sama, why are you still watching the series if you don't like it?
Completionist!

What war? Everyone knows Sena is superior in every way.
At this point it's clear they're all horrible human beings, but at least Yozora isn't a pedophile.
yozora > meat all day erry day
And so forth. lol

Who is we?
Everyone watching the show.

It seemed more like people were fans of the manga than the show. I dunno, this season is wearing particularly thin. There is oblivious harem leads and then there is the main guy in Haganai. Nearly every single scene is some girl bluntly telling the main character they want to get together and him brushing it off. It is like he lives in some different world and his interactions with the people around him are simply coincidental.
It's as dickish as Sorata being such a douchebag in Pet Girl to Mashiro over and over again, but from the opposite direction.

All of this could be solved by having a couple of male characters. At least Pet Girl's main conflict is the one sided-love triangle and a couple of other cruddy pseudo-romances orbiting that triangle.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kotoura-san 9

Man what the fuck. I don't even know what direction this show is going in anymore. It's not bad, just...unexpected.

Kotoura's mother's new boyfriend is the attacker, isn't he?

wonzo

Banned
Aikatsu! 21

i3iKLYBqwfvZs.gif

Hell yeah, this show's really at its absolute best when it goes so out there from the already crazy premise. The excellent animation definitely sold it for me. This ep also pretty much confirmed that
Miya, the other half of Masquerade is none other than Ichiko's mother (same hair and eye colour). I'm pretty sure this was already hinted at in episode 17 a few times but it's pretty much locked in now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This will be the great trainwreck of our time.

Defuser

YES

KIMI NO IRU MACHI

TV ANIME

BY GONZO

Director: Shigeyasu Yamauchi (Casshern Sins)
Series Composition: Reiko Yoshida (K-On, Tamako Market, come on you should know who she is by now)
Character Design: Terumi Nishii (Mawaru Penguindrum)

(src)

Seo Kouji and Gonzo.....

i8GMaBqYexI5e.gif

Anime is dead.

duckroll

Was talking to Hito about MLP and this came up: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/mylittle-pony/

It looks like they've announced more voices for the Japanese release. Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy are still to be announced, but Princess Celestia and Spike have been cast! Motoko Kumai is playing Spike. She played Syaoran in Cardcaptor Sakura, and Sumomo in Chobits. Princess Celestia will be played by Kikuko Inoue, who is famous for playing half of all the female characters ever in the Metal Gear Solid series in Japan, and Belldandy in Ah My Goddess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom