• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puchimas! 57

dE8JV7Nl.jpg

A peaceful day.

Jex

Surely you can't have anything against
boss
fights.

No, that wasn't what I meant. The problem is
that whenever the writer decrees it Miho stops being a super competent commander and easily falls for basic enemy ploys.
It's pretty minor though so it didn't bother me that much.

No, that wasn't what I meant. The problem is
that whenever the writer decrees it Miho stops being a super competent commander and easily falls for basic enemy ploys.
It's pretty minor though so it didn't bother me that much.

Yeah this annoyed me too little bit. It was so obvious.

Articalys

Puchimas 57

I love the "Little Happiness" chapter. Too bad they cut out the bit of singing with Chihya, though. Maybe they'll include it later.

faridmon

Happy birthday!

Fuck homework. Go out and get drunk.

I wish it was that simple. That Lecturer hates me and if I give him an excuse, he would eb more than happy to fail me.

I am trying to finish most of the work so I can go out for an hour or two!

Metrotab

Banned
Jesus, Winter sure did a number on my surroundings. Everybody's getting infected.

And I'm missing the end week of backlog season! Gotta catch up quick.

Syrinx

Just make sure to check all the discs in the spindle for scratches because that packaging is super cheap. I was so mad when I discovered that. but at least I was able to get the whole series.
When it first came out, ADV only sold it online too. Couldnt find it in stores. It was never given a chance to succeed from the start.

Wait, spindle?

Kazzy

[Evangelion 1.11]

This plays like a cliff-notes version of the opening section of the series, which is probably fine for some. It feels grander in scope, which is no doubt a benefit of adapting this introductory arc as a feature, but I think that its failings are the intimacy it sacrifices as a result. This isn't just a factor of the interpersonal relationships, but also the established universe.

For example, there are a couple of establishing shots of the world towards the beginning, which I feel steal away some of the initial mystery. That mystique was something that was originally impressed upon me whilst watching the television series. And for the most part, these minor world-building details were often revealed through character interactions and dialogue, rather than explicitly laid out for us. It allowed for our world-view to be built up over time, rather than rapidly established upfront. It is certainly a luxury of a more long form medium, so it’s understandable that these sort of concessions would be made.

A similar tact is taken with the NERV itself.
They were always villainous to a degree, but to what extent were always partially obscured. Their dealings are discussed and displayed in a much more overt manner here. For someone who has only recently finished with the series, it’s certainly jarring to see multiple scenes were Gendo is discussing his plans in such a forthright manner. Even in these private moments, I’m used to him being withheld. I guess for the sake of brevity, patience isn’t a virtue. Couple this with the fact that Misato has such free-access to Adam, it's all quiet weird when you already know all the implications of such details.
These had previously been revelatory moments, which are now being shuffled around the narrative.

The characterization is also affected as a result, and where I had previously felt as though we were seeing events unfold from Shinji’s perspective, (along with all the uncertainty that brought with it) we’re now much more privy to the bigger picture. I wouldn’t say that the emphatic strain of this arc is lost with this, but when considering the main narrative crux of the arc is Shinji’s begrudging acceptance of his role, it isn’t something that is conveyed all that well. It works in as much that it successfully evokes scenes from the series, but it hinges too much on that prior knowledge, and I wouldn’t be surprised if newcomers felt this development was a shallow one. We know (and are told) that Shinji’s problems manifest on all fronts, his personal life, his school life, his professional life; but we only ever glimpse these here. The audience is left with nothing much to dwell on, rather, we are instead informed of these developments, and this exposition, though succinct, isn’t anywhere near as illuminating.

It may be something of a hurdle, particularly as Shinji is such an obtuse character to begin with, and hardly one that lends himself to endearment. Some may find this truncated narrative more palatable, but I personally like the way in which the series meandered between the mundane and frantic. This critique itself may seem oblique, because I understand it is somewhat presumptuous of me to assume the remainder of the Rebuild franchise will slavishly adhere to the source like 1.11 does. So if Shinji remains the main emotional tangent, I'm curious to see if the depiction develops into a more flattering one.

It’s enjoyable all the same, but it feels bereft of certain deftness. The broad strokes are certainly more easily discernible, but It’s difficult to get a feel for all the internal strife, especially when we are being hurled from once set piece to the next. But with all that said, the ending seems to allude to certain plot elements perhaps getting a bigger focus here.
Kaworu certainly cast a large shadow over the series proper, but his inclusion was so brief and dramatic, that it’s difficult not to want glean more from his role. His early arrival suggests quite a big divergence, and along with many other plot elements getting dropped much earlier, I'm keen to see whether 2.22 decides to pull further away from what we know.

The animation bump is certainly noticeable, though I did appreciate the personality that is inherent to older animation. This is emphasised in the Evangelion scenes, where that earlier mechanical animation is now supplemented though CG. Clearly it is a bone of contention. But I think this is really effective in the case of the Angels, whose distinct appearances are lent otherworldliness by the dissonance of their CG compositions. If anything, I appreciate that Rebuild allows for the entire story to be given a more...consistent presentation, because although I really have affection for how it looked (and still do), the series obviously had a few problems in that regard.

Summary:

This serves as a curiosity to me, and by no means do I expect it to supersede the original, nor has it. At this point existing as an odd retread, it’s all pomp and circumstance, mimicking its predecessor, just without much of that nuance. It stands as an amalgamation of various elements, all sitting uncomfortably under a shiny surface.

I think the scope to be able to give a different interpretation of this world is a compelling one, so I hope that it carries on in the vein that 1.11’s conclusion promises.

Articalys

Partial victory, but we'll take it.
The New York International Children's Film Festival (NYICFF) announced on Tuesday that Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children film won an Audience Award at the festival's awards ceremony on Sunday. Wolf Children was one of two winners of the Audience Award, with the other winner being the Taiwanese film Starry Starry Night. The Grand Prize this year went to the French-animated film Ernest & Celestine.

Wolf Children was screened at the NYICFF with English subtitles. The festival also screened English dubbed versions of Koji Masunari's Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW and Studio Ghibli's From Up On Poppy Hill. Director Hosoda attended the festival for Q&A sessions.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hahaha, I just saw that ComiPro thing Crunchyroll is trying to sell now. It's basically MikuMikuDance, but for manga. And it looks kinda awful. :lol

Senyu 11
tumblr_mjxejl4OxD1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Ill miss this. I guess I may start the manga or something that is going on. Janua is so good and we need Samejima to come around. Alba's reactions and faces to the whole scene was really fun. Outside, I laughed a lot.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Evangelion 1.11]

The animation bump is certainly noticeable, though I did appreciate the personality that is inherent to older animation.
Quoting from an Eva post a few months back:
As long as they don't make all the Evas CG. Some shots in Rebuild are alright but for the most part the CG is way too jarring.

There's something must richer about cel animation that I prefer in general, as well. I mean aside maybe from frame count, I prefer the original over Rebuild here:

tumblr_me9vi7uPTd1qavd02o3_250.gif
tumblr_me9vi7uPTd1qavd02o4_400.gif

tumblr_me9vi7uPTd1qavd02o5_400.gif
tumblr_me9vi7uPTd1qavd02o6_400.gif
I will however agree that the use of CGI for some of the angels helps accentuate their Eldritchian otherworldly horror nature, particularly in the second movie.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm sure I've called the anime/manga industry lazy before but this is ridiculous.

Finally, cut-and-paste templates aren't just for writing any more, now they can apply to visuals too.

Don't worry, the only people who are going to use this are deviantArt rejects who can't wait to finally be able to bring their self-insert Mary Sue stories to life.

And the worst part is, CR also just opened a "comics" section devoted to seemingly nothing but ComiPro stuff and other American "manga". And it all looks AWFUL.

cajunator

Banned
So wait, the discs are all stacked on top of each other? Who the hell made that decision?

Yes they are. Im not sure who decided that.
Theres another set that came out later that would cost you about $200 if you want to go that route. I dont think its spindle.

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it!

I already volunteered to do it next time.
Just remind me that we are nearing the end of the page.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This might be duplicate "news", but that Hentai Ouji show airing in Spring has an English title and logo with the same mix of needlessly-untranslated words and stilted literal translation that we've seen in the past with stuff like Chooney.
and you guys wonder where I get inspiration for the overwrought fonts in my fake dvd covers...

ANN introduction said:
A wandering tale of youth between a bright pervert and a curt girl is about to begin!

The people who had to word this article to make the premise and characters sound appealing must be dead inside.

Articalys

This might be duplicate "news", but that Hentai Ouji show airing in Spring has an English title and logo with the same mix of needlessly-untranslated words and stilted literal translation that we've seen in the past with stuff like Chooney.
and you guys wonder where I get inspiration for the overwrought fonts in my fake dvd covers...
The all-English logo is new, and as usual it's a nice touch keeping the original logo's style, but that's also the "official" English subtitle for the series. It's part of the Japanese logo too.
Amusing fact: the filename for this image on the official Henneko website is "rogo.png".

Dresden

The all-English logo is new, and as usual it's a nice touch keeping the original logo's style, but that's also the "official" English subtitle for the series. It's part of the Japanese logo too.

So the only word they didn't translate is 'hentai'? Eh. This is no SNAFU.

Kazzy

Quoting from an Eva post a few months back:

I will however agree that the use of CGI for some of the angels helps accentuate their Eldritchian otherworldly horror nature, particularly in the second movie.

Yeah, that comparison goes some to way to proving my point. I do actually prefer the older animation.

Syrinx

Futari wa Pretty Cure 35

That guy with a crush on Nagisa was such a buttdick. Seriously. And he's also a dumbass, as he falls out of love with Nagisa at the end...because he falls in love instead with Cure Black, who looks exactly like Nagisa. Yeah, yeah, I know magical girl anime is pretty liberal about keeping identities secret even when it's obvious who they are, but still.

I loved Honoka in this episode. She barely showed up, though (way to let best girl drift to the back, writers). Her wearing that hat and sunglasses as a disguise was hilarious.

CorvoSol

Don't forget the terrible CG cubes in EVA 3. I just, it has to be intentional there. Has to be.

GaoGaiGar 24

DAAAAAAYUM Ms. Swan! Girl, you're wearing the most risque pink Daisy Dukes in the world. I dunno if any woman, American or Japanese, would wear those to a public festival. It was kinda funny seeing her tease Mikoto and suggest she had a thing for Guy, though. Does Guy have a dick or is it a cyborg one? Either way every lady wants to do the Final Fusion with him.

Oh, and I guess Mic Sounders can turn into a more normal looking robot. Whereas everyone else talks about being a HERO Mic seems more concerned with how being FRIENDS can trump basic logic.

Much of this episode was a clipshow, though.

Branduil

The people who had to word this article to make the premise and characters sound appealing must be dead inside.

Those character bios are amazing. What fleshed-out and multidimensional characters.

Articalys

Speaking of the SNAFU show, I went back to look at TBS's international sales stuff, and it turns out they made some nice international promo flyers in the same style for Tamako Market and Sasami-san in the last couple weeks, even though we're nearing the end of the season:

Amnesia 11
tumblr_mjxgs6ZJH61qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mjxgs6ZJH61qbxqfpo2_500.png

She was alright for the first few episodes, but once Toma's arc hit and now Ukyo she just became depressingly awful. How naive can she possibly be?
Dont go to the well, avoid the well, the well is awful *goes to meet Ukyo at the well*. Dont leave the apartment on Aug 25th, the world will try to kill you with everything it has, dont leave *leaves anyway amidst tons of falling debris, downed power lines, etc*. Surely it isn't wrong to just sit tight and be protected? Especially with crazy Ukyo on the loose.

However it was rather intense and really interesting. Dont think it shifts my position on Ukyo, Toma, Shin still my favorite two and Orion right behind.

cajunator

Banned
This is conveniently designed by the character designer of Hentai Ouji.

Also that ZR, UNF.

Oh man I looooove this style. That makes me kind of excited to see the new show now.

Speaking of the SNAFU show, I went back to look at TBS's international sales stuff, and it turns out they made some nice international promo flyers in the same style for Tamako Market and Sasami-san in the last couple weeks, even though we're nearing the end of the season:

I will buy both of these on disc. Make it happen.....whoever.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So the only word they didn't translate is 'hentai'? Eh. This is no SNAFU.

Not rewording the title (or, rather, leaving that particular word in) is either lazy or intentionally deceptive. Take your pick, either is as equally likely!

Articalys

I will buy both of these on disc. Make it happen.....whoever.
Oh, Sentai already has those both; I guess after there was a positive response to the full-page flyers for Oregairu and Photo Kano, they decided to go back and make the same things for Tamako and Sasami-san -- just because Sentai already has them doesn't mean there aren't other English-speaking markets looking to license, after all. Sorry for any confusion.

Dresden

Not rewording the title (or, rather, leaving that particular word in) is either lazy or intentionally deceptive. Take your pick, either is as equally likely!

Ah yes, the transgression of leaving 'pervert' untranslated, as if the audience doesn't already know what it means. It's more an attempt to reach out to the nerds that do understand it rather than deception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom