• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 2

This was a really cool fight. I liked how it ended. The MC is showing how much of a BAMF he is while also showing a good heart. I honestly don't like the set up as much as Gundam Wing but this is also pretty rad. Regardless, this is still a pretty cool story concept. Hopefully they expound on the colonies and go deeper into that part of the story.

Also
laser sword FTW
!

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Magical Warfare 11 & 12

I'm not going to pretend that the writing in this story is some literary masterpiece but I can't quite make sense of who decided to let those last two episodes out the door. I sensed real trouble in 10 when they dragged the unbaked Mother character out to play... some sort of role but 11 and twelve seemed like they both jumped episodes. In fact, episode 11 to 12 seems like an entire season was cut out. To what end? Why did this series even exist?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly I don't recall any reference to the earthquake in the show. Not sure where that talk came from.
I just remember it from the pre-season talk. Not sure where it came from either. lol

Yeah, if it was of the same quality, I would really like it if there was a second season. Normally I don't really read manga but I might see if I can take a look at Noragami.

Another thing I forgot to mention is I like how at least some of the characters actually had a bit of a wardrobe and you would see them in a few different outfits. I like it when shows put in the effort to do that kind of thing.

I thought the OVA, while silly, would have worked if it was somehow part of the season. Of course it takes place after the events of the series, apparently, so maybe even the manga is frontloaded with the two character arcs.

And, Yato is always in his outfit though. lol

---

I just wanted to say... I can't believe Ken Levine pulled an Eureka 7: AO with Bioshock. Words cannot express my disappointment. :(

Nobunagun 13
Mode Nightingale seems really overpowered. And they quickly defeated the aliens. Found the punishment those two gave Sio quite funny
looks like I was correct on that shipping.

Pooya

So, anyone here has watched all episodes of Nobunaga the fool? I wouldn't mind if someone can spoil it to me, kinda curious to know what the hell happened, I dropped it after the 3rd one, did it ever get interesting?

CorvoSol

This was a really cool fight. I liked how it ended. The MC is showing how much of a BAMF he is while also showing a good heart. I honestly don't like the set up as much as Gundam Wing but this is also pretty rad. Regardless, this is still a pretty cool story concept. Hopefully they expound on the colonies and go deeper into that part of the story.

Also
laser sword FTW
!

They do, but it's gonna be awhile before they do. G probably has better pacing than most Gundam series but it still has Gundam pacing.

So, anyone here has watched all episodes of Nobunaga the fool? I wouldn't mind if someone can spoil it to me, kinda curious to know what the hell happened, I dropped it after the 3rd one, did it ever get interesting?

The six most recent episodes have had surprising twists and tons of emotional impacting moments. Surprised people thought it never improved as its really a good story.

Mononoke

Banned
Toradora!: Episodes 1-25

Words can not express how disappointed I was in the finale episode of Toradora. Ahhhhh. First off, I absolutely loved this anime. From the very beginning, I got sucked in with the characters. I loved Ryuuji, Taiga etc. And the humor was great. It actually makes me feel bad for watching Golden Time first, because this show is IMO infinitely better. Just in terms of the overall writing, and specifically the characters. Also to get this out of the way, I'm not really someone that gets invested in the actual romance in these. So I don't really care one way or another. What I mean is, I don't really get upset with the ending (based on who the final pairing is or whatever). All I care about is that it's written well.

So why did I hate the ending so much? I think it's an obvious answer. But I hated how Taiga just decides to leave Ryuuji to "become stronger" for him. Look, I could totally buy into that. That she felt deep down, she needed to become a stronger person before sharing her life with him. But this came completely out of left field (IMO), and didn't feel earned at all. Even worse, that the show ends with them not getting back together. Oh but wait, in the credits they randomly meet up again on his graduation, and she head butts him over him saying he loves her. WTF. Just in contrast of how their relationship moved forward in the previous episode, I just found all this to be absolutely baffling!

I don't even get why they had like the wedding scene at the grandpas house. You know, where she was totally in love with Ryuuji, and willing to marry him (even if they took their time getting their families approval). But just her going from that scene, to randomly skipping town on Ryuuji without telling him, was total bullshit. Worst of all, there was a theme going on towards the back half, about not running away. And she totally fuckin ran away. To me, it's just non-sense that she couldn't become a stronger person while also being with him.

Ugh, I could go on and on. I fuckin hated this ending so much. It left me feeling completely hollow and unsatisfied. Maybe I'm missing the point of the finale, or the show itself. But did anyone else feel the same way? I know it's been out a while now, so I'm curious what you guys thought of the ending. Bleh.

I'm obviously being more negative here, because I just finished it. But outside the ending, I actually loved this anime. Loved everything about it. The characters were great. Humor was spot on. For the most part, I was fine with the pacing (maybe it kind of dragged a bit in the back half, with Ryuuji and Minori's plot or whatever, but you could always feel that tension under the surface, because you knew that Taiga really loved Ryuuji). But ahhhhh.

:(

cajunator

Banned
Funny-gif-Bruce-Lee-laughing.gif

XD
I just woke up and that made me laugh so hard.
Thank you.

Yeah, I've been noticing this lately. It's a real shame that US licensors seem to be getting worse and worse in quality control, especially Sentai but also others as you and ultimatemegax point out. I suppose that's the price paid when the market refuses to pay the price for high-quality releases.

It does suck, but quality control for anime has always been spotty. Some of ADVs discs are deplorable quality and barely ran on my PC or DVD players. There were recalled discs, a lot of stuff arrived scratched and had to be replaced, subtitles were badly done, scenes left out, basically the same things going on now. Companies have never gotten it right. Except Geneon who is gone :(
Interestingly, one of the first animes to experiment with the "entire series in a box" at the start instead of sold volume by volume was the World of Narue boxset. It costed more overall but offered a whole series instead of pieces and it was of particular interest to me. From there the floodgates opened up. Before that you had to wait until months or even a year after the last volume released for a full boxset to appear, if one did at all, and those were over a hundred bucks. But those prices did NOT create a better product than what we get now, just better packaging.

Noragami

Since I didn't really post any comments on it during it's airing, anyone who reads my posts wouldn't know it but personally I really liked this show. It's good to see a lot of people watched it and liked it but to them it maybe wasn't that good. As for me personally though, I did think it was that good.

For me I just liked the characters and how they played off one another and I wanted to see what would become of them. Yato is a god that doesn't have his own shrine yet or really any followers and he's trying to make his way to the top. I thought it was interesting since I don't think I've quite seen an underdog story quite like that before. With the happens to Hiyori and her acquiring her powers. What kind of things could happen now? What maybe happened in Yukine's past and will the others be able to change him?

I wish the supporting cast got a bit more time but I suppose that's the result of adapting just the first part of a work. I'd also wished the show had Hiyori helping with her kicking and fighting like she does to start with rather than it being too dangerous.

Like others have also mentioned, the show is pretty well executed on the whole as well. Visually I think it looks good and I like most of the designs. There's a nice amount of action which usually has pretty good animation. The direction is also pretty well executed on the whole.

It was already mentioned but maybe a good simple example is the nice parallel in Episode 5 "Borderline". Yato teaches Yukine that he has the power to kind of draw a defensive borderline separating him and possibly others on one side and keeping phantoms on the other. Later at the mall Hiyori puts Yukine outside the store after he tries to steal a skateboard and you see their feet separated by the entrance paint line. As if to say you're safe if you stay here but if you're on the other side you're entering a dark world which you may not come back from.

There's lots of nice shots such as this one where you see a larger version of Hiyori's shadow hinting at her new powers. The way it also crosses the line of the ground seems to be another hint at the idea of how she's crossing the boarder between this world and the other. Even the way it's not totally crossing you could interpret it as her actually only having half powers in that she's still human.

Again there's also the idea of twilight mentioned it the show where it's the transnational period of the day as it switches from the bright daylight to the darker night. One could interpret lots of layers just in one quick shot. It's actually just after this that you see Hiyori's "tail" appear.

To help tie in all together is the great soundtrack and sound design as well. Components of a show which can often get neglected in their effectiveness of bringing a show together.

Anyway, if others didn't like it as much, that's fine. Personally I really quite liked the show and it's one of my personal favorite of the season and hence the year so far. If we're doing the BONES comparison thing then I also preferred Noragami on the whole as well.

tumblr_myjxs42Qmr1snn0hpo1_500.gif

Thanks for reading. :)

I need to watch this. If only for the cutie girl with a tail.

Couple PVs from earlier this morning, one for Love Live S2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iV7LV8HCh4

and one for Gokukoku no Brynhildr, which does show off a bit how dark it gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKIW5ndheFg

I like cuteness with a dark tone. This intrigues me.

Sad, but true. ;_;

What's that supposed to mean! I'm just trying to make lemonade out of the lemons we got out of this show.

Some just dont understand your passion.

Cajun, have you seen this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793424

Seems right up your alley.

Nope but thanks! I might get an artbook later. I cant play those games.

Nafe

Gintama (Tama Arc)

Episodes 69-71

Speaking of Gintama, I've gone through the Tama Arc now. Since I actually saw the second movie first I remembered her and see this was where she was introduced. It's kind of funny how episodes of TV shows in general can start with one thing and end on another. In this case it was some crazy scare campaign to get people to separate and dispose of their trash properly and then running away from a group of robots while in possession of another,haha.

There sure were a lot of Dragon Quest references in this arc, specifically episode 69. A friend actually introduced me to the series with the third game. His battery was going or it was not long after, so when Tama comments about losing data just like how the Dragon Quest games did reminded me of that time. I later bought the GameBoy re-release of Dragon Quest I+II as well as III but still never beat the third,haha. Good game I've actually wanted to go back to.

Anyway, speaking of Gintama and games, the maid character actually reminded me of a maid character that I think is from Melty Blood?

jbeGXp8wKwSOGB.jpg

Here is the maid character, 305 I think it was, in Gintama and I think this is the character I'm thinking of from Melty Blood.
jFXoSAAuYJnov.jpg

I see episode 69 is also where people get that image/avatar of Kagura wearing Sunglasses. Her little tune sounds familiar as well.

It was a good story Arc overall once again and it was interesting hearing
Hiroshi Kamiya
doing the voice of a more antagonistic character.

The ending to the story arc actually reminded me of a couple different video games again. The part near the end reminded me of near the end of Xenosaga:Episode I and the whole "this is the course of action most likely to result in success" and then more closer to the very end reminded me of the end to the first Lufia game.

It was kind of a bittersweet ending with what happened.

I thought the OVA, while silly, would have worked if it was somehow part of the season. Of course it takes place after the events of the series, apparently, so maybe even the manga is frontloaded with the two character arcs.

The anime added an additional side story from a spinoff manga (the falling episode), and its own original arc at the end about Yato and Rabo. It didn't really excise much manga material from what it covered.

Magical Warfare 11 & 12

I'm not going to pretend that the writing in this story is some literary masterpiece but I can't quite make sense of who decided to let those last two episodes out the door. I sensed real trouble in 10 when they dragged the unbaked Mother character out to play... some sort of role but 11 and twelve seemed like they both jumped episodes. In fact, episode 11 to 12 seems like an entire season was cut out. To what end? Why did this series even exist?

Everything in magical warfare is flawed , yes even the first episode... in the first episode i don't understand the bad guys attacked normal humans in the "real" world when they know about the restriction and they got penalised like noobs. To this day( 12 eps after ) i don't understand why they were so stupid.
The rescue of the brainwashed brother should have been an arc not an episode ... heck the flaw of events from this episode and the ones before felt off even then. ..I could say the same thing for the capus attack episode...

in general lots of events going on at once very suddenly and entire moments where nothing is trully happenning .....it's so badly done i can't even say that it's forshadowing
Magical warfare should have been 24 eps for the same amount of content .More time for the serious stuff + world building in between. As it stand it's as if the planner for this anime had a series of events that needed to be in there and just made each episode revolve around one. The result is that most of the big events feel meaningless and the end of this anime is a GIANT MESS.

fertygo

Saki : The Nationals - 12
Shit, I want Iwate to pass.. Toyone ;_;
But I can respect Himematsu because these superpower-less group can pass the hell between gods.

Although Saki said the purple girl actually the powerful one, so I don't know anymore.

Anyway this match not as good as the one in achiga or S1 final, only Saki's round that really good and epic.. still hyped for the other cour in fall {?} though, more saki is always fun.

While this season is lesser than other season, I notice the OST for this season really standing out though, few track with traditional japan feel really adding a lot to the atmosphere and sucking you in right moment, good stuff.

Then who are you!?

I don't even know who I am. Am I the Chameleonian? Am I Woof?

pNcdhjD.jpg

I reflect on my reflection. And I ask myself the question:
What's the right direct-ioOoOoOoOoOon to go. I don't know

Am I a Woof! Or Am I Chameleonian? If I'm Woof, then do I hate moe blobs?
Am I Chameleoniaaaaan? OR AM I WOOF?! If I'm Chameleonian, is that my final dandy?

cajunator

Banned
Haibane Renmei 2

The show is quite fascinating. Some really good world building. Those guys at market are pretty scary looking.

Didn't know Corvo was in this. :p
That crow in town and raven in the first episode. Haven't remembered everyone's name yet but I am sure I will by episode 5 or 6. Always takes me a few episodes. There's not really anything I am finding wrong with this show so far. It's a really great effort all around. Thanks for the recommendation Branduil.

post-Yami Corvo is in Haibane Renmei, which probably explains a few things..

CorvoSol

As someone who doesn't watch Gundam shows, I'm curious what you mean by this.

Strong opening-> sub-par follow up-> crazy middle-> cool-down period/sub-par follow up-> CRAZY FINISH/EVERYBODY DIES

Like, take SEED for example. Crazy stuff on a colony in space! Meandering in space and around the world and stuff. Crazy Kira vs Athrun! Craziness in Alaska! More meandering in space and stuff. NUKES IN SPACE FINAL SHOWDOWNS GALORE!

Pretty much every full-length Gundam show does this.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
SamFlam 19

Fuck this show is such a blast. Out of all the fucking insane and ridiculous places they go and twists they take I did not see this one coming.
Poor Goto :(

Saki - the nationals 12

Saki da BEST.
Saki%20-%20The%20Nationals%20-%2012.jpg

Great Cast overall. Fun season indeed.
Overall this season was alright , lots of good moments , over-the top scenarios and plenty of fun habilities to watch this entire match/season was a prime example of too many strong powers in one place causing mayhem ..
The miko with their cheated gods in articular i'm glad they didn't won , because it's too much But one thing 's good this season made me even MORE HYPED should the author write the individual tournament one day.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Everything in magical warfare is flawed , yes even the first episode... in the first episode i don't understand the bad guys attacked normal humans in the "real" world when they know about the restriction and they got penalised like noobs. To this day( 12 eps after ) i don't understand why they were so stupid.
The rescue of the brainwashed brother should have been an arc not an episode ... heck the flaw of events from this episode and the ones before felt off even then. ..I could say the same thing for the capus attack episode...

in general lots of events going on at once very suddenly and entire moments where nothing is trully happenning .....it's so badly done i can't even say that it's forshadowing
Magical warfare should have been 24 eps for the same amount of content .More time for the serious stuff + world building in between. As it stand it's as if the planner for this anime had a series of events that needed to be in there and just made each episode revolve around one. The result is that most of the big events feel meaningless and the end of this anime is a GIANT MESS.

I couldn't agree more. I decided to watch episodes 6 to 12 this weekend since I sort of lost interest during the season but just kept saying out loud "This so stupid!" at the end of every scene. I was hoping something would attempt to tie at least one story thread together so I could say at least one plot point was consistent in that random mess but it never came.

Objectively speaking: This is a really bad anime. (EDIT: perhaps the worst I've seen in years)

They do, but it's gonna be awhile before they do. G probably has better pacing than most Gundam series but it still has Gundam pacing.

Oh then that's fine. I figure the Gundam Fight can't go on for 49 episodes so they must go into the colonies. So that's something nice to look forward to.

Toradora!: Episodes 1-25

Words can not express how disappointed I was in the finale episode of Toradora. Ahhhhh. First off, I absolutely loved this anime. From the very beginning, I got sucked in with the characters. I loved Ryuuji, Taiga etc. And the humor was great. It actually makes me feel bad for watching Golden Time first, because this show is IMO infinitely better. Just in terms of the overall writing, and specifically the characters. Also to get this out of the way, I'm not really someone that gets invested in the actual romance in these. So I don't really care one way or another. What I mean is, I don't really get upset with the ending (based on who the final pairing is or whatever). All I care about is that it's written well.

So why did I hate the ending so much? I think it's an obvious answer. But I hated how Taiga just decides to leave Ryuuji to "become stronger" for him. Look, I could totally buy into that. That she felt deep down, she needed to become a stronger person before sharing her life with him. But this came completely out of left field (IMO), and didn't feel earned at all. Even worse, that the show ends with them not getting back together. Oh but wait, in the credits they randomly meet up again on his graduation, and she head butts him over him saying he loves her. WTF. Just in contrast of how their relationship moved forward in the previous episode, I just found all this to be absolutely baffling!

I don't even get why they had like the wedding scene at the grandpas house. You know, where she was totally in love with Ryuuji, and willing to marry him (even if they took their time getting their families approval). But just her going from that scene, to randomly skipping town on Ryuuji without telling him, was total bullshit. Worst of all, there was a theme going on towards the back half, about not running away. And she totally fuckin ran away. To me, it's just non-sense that she couldn't become a stronger person while also being with him.

Ugh, I could go on and on. I fuckin hated this ending so much. It left me feeling completely hollow and unsatisfied. Maybe I'm missing the point of the finale, or the show itself. But did anyone else feel the same way? I know it's been out a while now, so I'm curious what you guys thought of the ending. Bleh.

I'm obviously being more negative here, because I just finished it. But outside the ending, I actually loved this anime. Loved everything about it. The characters were great. Humor was spot on. For the most part, I was fine with the pacing (maybe it kind of dragged a bit in the back half, with Ryuuji and Minori's plot or whatever, but you could always feel that tension under the surface, because you knew that Taiga really loved Ryuuji). But ahhhhh.

:(

I agree with you. I didn't like the ending that much either. I love Toradora to death but I am on the same page as you.

The idea however was that Taiga was
running away to be with Ryuji instead of staying back and mending her relationship with her mother and becoming a stronger person
. The anime conveys this quite poorly and honestly it makes it feel like she's
running away from one thing to not run away from another
if that makes any sense. I don't defend it. It could've been done A LOT better and I am still pretty peeved about the ending (after all I only finished it just last week or the week before), but I get what the writer was trying to convey.

With an ending like that however, you are gonna get people who view the ending like how we did. I wasn't particularly satisfied with the ending but I was happy with EVERYTHING else. So all in all they get an A for effort. I still really love the anime and characters though.

Haibane Renmei 3

So this episode will go down as the episode that made me go "there's something more going on then some of the Haibane are letting on". It has me curious but not so much to the point where it's actively on my mind with every scene. This show is really well paced. There's never a moment where I am really bored even though sometimes it seems like I should be, but I'm not. Which is great. It's giving me a real tangible grasp on everything and dangles the carrot in front of me enough to make me want more. (No pun intended)

cajunator

Banned
Haibane Renmei 3

So this episode will go down as the episode that made me go "there's something more going on then some of the Haibane are letting on". It has me curious but not so much to the point where it's actively on my mind with every scene. This show is really well paced. There's never a moment where I am really bored even though sometimes it seems like I should be, but I'm not. Which is great. It's giving me a real tangible grasp on everything and dangles the carrot in front of me enough to make me want more. (No pun intended)

Yup. Haibane Renmei has pretty good pacing.

huh funny the review I read singled out the fifth as least impressive of the bunch.
All in all is the series worth giving a shot if I loved Fate/Zero ?

I'm a bit late to the party. But I feel like I need to add my opinion here:

Personally I [Ulove[/U] Fate Zero, easily among my top 10 anime.The Kara No Kyoukai movies are good, but they're nowhere near that level. As far as my understanding goes, KnK is one of, if not the, earliest works of Type Moon. This means some of the writing is left ambiguous. In fact I'd say this work shares a universe/similarity with another type moon work, the one with the kid in the glasses and the vampires as it shares the same knife mechanics.

Getting back to point though, this is Ufotable so if you liked Fate Zero due to its gloomy noir feeling at points, these movies have that entirely. If you liked the grimdark setting, then this also has a feeling such as that. If you liked the great characters, then this might not be your fit.

See Kara no Kyokai in the long-run is a very bizarre love story that sees little development on screen. Each movie basically has a one or two central plots that are specified for that film. Then the main characters each go to do their share of the job. For the most part they work together but for long stretches it might be them working with/against one of the movie's new characters. Then a bunch of confirmations/affirmations that the two leads are indeed very close.

I really like the films but I'm an Ufotable fanboy and really love the Type Moon works, flaws and all. Fate Zero is the best type moon property because it doesn't decide to get brought down by anime character tropes which other type moon works have (tsundere, brother complex borderlining on incest, loli, harem-esque settings, etc...). Kara No Kyokai only really has the tsundere and brother complex aspect, but it was enough to bring it down for me a bit from FZ.

tl;dr watch it if you want, but don't expect anywhere near the same quality as FZ.

I couldn't agree more. I decided to watch episodes 6 to 12 this weekend since I sort of lost interest during the season but just kept saying out loud "This so stupid!" at the end of every scene. I was hoping something would attempt to tie at least one story thread together so I could say at least one plot point was consistent in that random mess but it never came.

Objectively speaking: This is a really bad anime. (EDIT: perhaps the worst I've seen in years)

Well this season we got both sides of the coin.

1) Anime coming from LN that respected the source material to the letter ( log horizon , golden time )

2) Rushed crap : ( magical warfare )

I'm quite sure that magical warfare story is not that bad i'm quite convinced it's the anime that made things look extra bad with those poor battles ( except one ) the bad animation and the storyboard so bad.I've seen it happen with plenty of shows I wonder if the battle in the ruined world that the principal did was OUTSOURCED because it was actually good.( and well animated ). there must be a reason for this mess ... is it the director ? is it kadokawa ? is it both ?

After ep 11 i expected the cast to continue storming the castle and reaching the final boss room but LOL NO Ep 12 starts with " oh well i didn't found her so i'm going elsewhere because "as a narrator , no less ! Wait what ? what is this transition ? Where are the 2 party members that were with you ? why did takeshi became so important in the first place ?
( a group of legion of magician went to help to stop that fight ! )
Where was the forshadowing ? As far as i'm concerned there was the familly misunderstanding & the magical conflict ... so Lol no let's change that ...

I don't mind twists but dammit this was so random.
principal fires at both guy ? and send them in the past ? wait what ? the kidnapped girl just escape because ? A GENERIC AS POSSIBLE stabbing middle twist ? Again why did gekkou stop towa when he was winning ?Plot armor ? bad writing ?

WTF magical warfare. You don't do that !! Nobody is their right mind should do that.!
i feel like i've wasted 12 * 24 minutes of my life. and i feel like i should watse more minutes writting on the internet WHY i've wasted those minutes.
This isn't right

cnet128

Banned
Nobunagun 13 END

FUCK OFF JACK. I think the end of this episode made me understand how the crazy otaku feel when they get up in arms about idols losing their "purity" and stuff. It's probably for the best that SDBurton dropped this series, because I can scarcely imagine the inferno of rage that would be consuming this Earth right now if he had got this far.

Aside from that, a good finale. I really liked the twist about
Jack the Ripper and Florence Nightingale actually being the same person
, it was a nicely-conceived idea and well executed. And of course aside from that, since the brunt of the work was taken care of over the last two episodes, it was just a case of taking out the last of the alien forces, which everyone did quite excellently. Congrats, Shio, your strategy was a resounding success. (And Hunter, I guess you deserve some credit as well =p)

Overall, I enjoyed this series a lot more than I thought I would at the beginning. I feel like it's been my big surprise of the season - I'm not usually a fan of these kind of very military-type settings with the focus on big battles against some faceless alien menace, and when I realised what kind of show this was going to be, I felt quite confident it wasn't going to be for me. But somehow, thanks in large part to Shio being such a great main character and her strategic successes being so goddamn satisfying to watch, I actually loved it, even the military elements.

The faceless alien menace, too, turned out to be more interesting than I expected - the whole "evolution" theme that they've got going on has a lot of potential, and I kind of hope we get more seasons of this show just so we can see what kind of forms they develop into next. I could easily see them even evolving into fully sentient human-like beings by the end of the series.

So yeah. I really enjoyed this show and I hope we get a second season. And that in the first episode of that second season, Jack gets killed off. Or at least neutered.

Mononoke

Banned
Oh then that's fine. I figure the Gundam Fight can't go on for 49 episodes so they must go into the colonies. So that's something nice to look forward to.

I agree with you. I didn't like the ending that much either. I love Toradora to death but I am on the same page as you.

The idea however was that Taiga was
running away to be with Ryuji instead of staying back and mending her relationship with her mother and becoming a stronger person
. The anime conveys this quite poorly and honestly it makes it feel like she's running away from one thing to not run away from another if that makes any sense. I don't defend it. It could've been done A LOT better and I am still pretty peeved about the ending (after all I only finished it just last week or the week before), but I get what the writer was trying to convey.

With an ending like that however, you are gonna get people who view the ending like how we did. I wasn't particularly satisfied with the ending but I was happy with EVERYTHING else. So all in all they get an A for effort. I still really love the anime and characters though.

Toradora: Episodes 1-25

Thanks for explaining that to me. That does bring some clarity to it. I just don't understand why she
couldn't tell Ryuuji to his face. Or why she couldn't still visit him from time to time. Honestly, by having the character leave him out of the blue, it just made the final episode feel
really flat and empty. I mean, if this is the couple that the show decided to focus the most on, and what the ending was centered around the most, I just don't get why
they would put distance between them, and then have a short segment where they meet up again, and she head butts him.
I get the intention was that, it was bringing the show back around to the first episode. But given how hollow it was to split them apart in the first place, it just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Everything about it was just so bad for me. Thing is, I would have been more okay if the finale shifted focus to the other characters. I didn't need it to be about Ryuuji and Taiga. But the writers made it so, the entire school was apparently enamored by Taiga, and so it was all about HER and her being gone. I think what bugs me the most about this finale, is that I just felt so hollow. Like, I just wanted to feel something. Even if it was something crazy like someone dying, or them breaking up. AT least I would have felt something. This episode just made me empty.

I know we agree here, so I'm not trying to convince you lol. I just need to get it off my chest. :( Anyways, I agree that the overall show was amazing. I'm by no means saying the finale ruined it. It didn't. But I'm just absolutely baffled by this last episode, and what they were trying to accomplish with it. I think because I fell so in love with the characters, it makes it hard to accept that, that's it. That I'll never see them again, and that's what they ended it with. Not to sound dramatic. I just get really bummed out when, a show really connects with you, and the ending feels so disappointing.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Monkey's outfit looks great on a girl.

Yeah it does.

Nobunagun 13 END

FUCK OFF JACK. I think the end of this episode made me understand how the crazy otaku feel when they get up in arms about idols losing their "purity" and stuff. It's probably for the best that SDBurton dropped this series, because I can scarcely imagine the inferno of rage that would be consuming this Earth right now if he had got this far.

Aside from that, a good finale. I really liked the twist about
Jack the Ripper and Florence Nightingale actually being the same person
, it was a nicely-conceived idea and well executed. And of course aside from that, since the brunt of the work was taken care of over the last two episodes, it was just a case of taking out the last of the alien forces, which everyone did quite excellently. Congrats, Shio, your strategy was a resounding success. (And Hunter, I guess you deserve some credit as well =p)

Overall, I enjoyed this series a lot more than I thought I would at the beginning. I feel like it's been my big surprise of the season - I'm not usually a fan of these kind of very military-type settings with the focus on big battles against some faceless alien menace, and when I realised what kind of show this was going to be, I felt quite confident it wasn't going to be for me. But somehow, thanks in large part to Shio being such a great main character and her strategic successes being so goddamn satisfying to watch, I actually loved it, even the military elements.

The faceless alien menace, too, turned out to be more interesting than I expected - the whole "evolution" theme that they've got going on has a lot of potential, and I kind of hope we get more seasons of this show just so we can see what kind of forms they develop into next. I could easily see them even evolving into fully sentient human-like beings by the end of the series.

So yeah. I really enjoyed this show and I hope we get a second season. And that in the first episode of that second season, Jack gets killed off. Or at least neutered.

I knew I made the right call. Fuck that show! :T

First off let me say that yes, Toradora is the better work between this and Golden Time. Golden Time wins in the fact it depicted a sweet relationship in college between two people genuinely in love and not caring about what others think, but it failed because the writer felt the need to add what I'll argue is one of my most hated drama points I've seen in a romantic drama outside of sexual abuse backstory. Also GT has the better non-vague ending and ultimate bro in 2D-kun. Toradora just wins in characters in general, and having relatively better drama and development, since GT's Koko and Banri were all over the place.

As to the ending in Toradora, I've seen a bunch of shows since then but I recall the ending pissing me off too. This comes as a surprise to no one but I'm really into romance in anime, and yeah the ending was bullshit. After seeing Golden Time I now know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the writer has problems coming up with proper endings. Whether it's the last volume or the final scene. She doesn't seem to know how to end stuff definitively but on a vague fashion.

Alas
at least in both works the couples stayed together at the end
. As to the change in character in the last scene of Toradora
I think it was more due to her not seeing him for a while and all of a sudden he says it out of nowhere and she didn't know how to reach after it had been so long.

edit: as to your newest comments on disappointing endings, that's anime for you for the most part. Disappointing endings stem from greatly from source materials not being done by the point the anime is about to end. So that means either do original ending or have a vague ending. As to Toradora, that's just the author ending it badly.

Thanks for explaining that to me. That does bring some clarity to it. I just don't understand why she
couldn't tell Ryuuji to his face. Or why she couldn't still visit him from time to time. Honestly, by having the character leave him out of the blue, it just made the final episode feel
really flat and empty. I mean, if this is the couple that the show decided to focus the most on, and what the ending was centered around the most, I just don't get why
they would put distance between them, and then have a short segment where they meet up again, and she head butts him.
I get the intention was that, it was bringing the show back around to the first episode. But given how hollow it was to split them apart in the first place, it just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Everything about it was just so bad for me. Thing is, I would have been more okay if the finale shifted focus to the other characters. I didn't need it to be about Ryuuji and Taiga. But the writers made it so, the entire school was apparently enamored by Taiga, and so it was all about HER and her being gone. I think what bugs me the most about this finale, is that I just felt so hollow. Like, I just wanted to feel something. Even if it was something crazy like someone dying, or them breaking up. AT least I would have felt something. This episode just made me empty.

I know we agree here, so I'm not trying to convince you lol. I just need to get it off my chest. :( Anyways, I agree that the overall show was amazing. I'm by no means saying the finale ruined it. It didn't. But I'm just absolutely baffled by this last episode, and what they were trying to accomplish with it. I think because I fell so in love with the characters, it makes it hard to accept that, that's it. That I'll never see them again, and that's what they ended it with. Not to sound dramatic. I just get really bummed out when, a show really connects with you, and the ending feels so disappointing.

Hahaha. I totally get what you're trying to say. I felt the same exact way. Hopefully Clannad and Clannad After Story can be that anime for you. Everyone is pretty divisive on the ending so I am not sure how you'll feel but it shouldn't leave you feeling empty like Toradora's ending. I know you said Clannad was next after Toradora so hopefully that resonates with you better.

And I know that feeling to talk it out and get an ending like that off your chest. Don't worry I was in your shoes with the show not so long ago so I completely understand and agree.

Also
laser sword FTW
!

Wait you've never watched G Gundam before? Wow, you are in for a treat.

Macross: Do you remember love?

Well I never forgot it but thank you for reminding me anyways Macross.

So this was my first entry into the Macross franchise, and I was genuienly surprised. I liked this. It was great. I think the strength of it comes from the gorgeous animation, the characters, the beautiful soundtrack, and the fact that it was a really interesting love triangle story.

Now, I'm usually not too big a fan of love-triangle stories, but the way they handled it here was really well done. Unlike in School Days(I probably shouldn't even be making this comparison, it's just that I've seen that few love-triangle stories that that's literally the only thing I have to go on, that's how much I don't care for them), the love triangle here is natural and completely understandable. It's how they deal with it afterward is what makes it good though.

Our main hero Hikaru wastes no time picking who he likes. He makes a choice, and sticks with it with no regrets. There's no long drawn-out angst scene where he's torn between the two loves of his life that would do nothing but waste time. (at least here they don't do that, I'm not sure how the anime itself handles it).

I wasn't too into the villains at first, seeing at first glance they just looked like typical green aliens you see in these space movies, but after the whole business with culture is thrown in, I became interested in them too! I loved how they were more than just your typical "KILL EM ALL" aliens.
I love how the whole culture theme played a huge role in the final showdown, and ended up being the huge turning point in the end with that beautiful song.

I'll be honest, I don't want to watch any more Macross after this, I think this feels perfect on his own. Maybe I'll watch Frontier one day, but I feel perfectly fine with how this movie went. What a beautiful film.

Wait you've never watched G Gundam before? Wow, you are in for a treat.

Well I am not a big mecha anime fan and more into RomCom, SoL, Drama type anime. But I did like Gundam Wing and Corvo was willing to watch what I recommended so I figured "hey why not? I liked Wing".

It's pretty cool so far.

Mononoke

Banned
Hahaha. I totally get what you're trying to say. I felt the same exact way. Hopefully Clannad and Clannad After Story can be that anime for you. Everyone is pretty divisive on the ending so I am not sure how you'll feel but it shouldn't leave you feeling empty like Toradora's ending. I know you said Clannad was next after Toradora so hopefully that resonates with you better.

And I know that feeling to talk it out and get an ending like that off your chest. Don't worry I was in your shoes with the show not so long ago so I completely understand and agree.

Yeah, I'm going to tackle it next. I'm totally open to being depressed or sad (or angry), as long as the ending is powerful and well written. That's all I ask for. To be clear, I think it's because I connected so much with Toradora, that I feel so upset right now. I legitimately loved this show. When I was watching it, I honestly felt like it was one of the best things I had seen (with anime). I just loved everything about it.

So regardless of the ending, I was always going to feel kind of bummed. Just because it was over, and I would feel sad that the story of these characters is over. BUT, the ending really just made that feeling 10x worse, as I went away feeling empty/unsatisfied.

First off let me say that yes, Toradora is the better work between this and Golden Time. Golden Time wins in the fact it depicted a sweet relationship in college between two people genuinely in love and not caring about what others think, but it failed because the writer felt the need to add what I'll argue is one of my most hated drama points I've seen in a romantic drama outside of sexual abuse backstory. Also GT has the better non-vague ending and ultimate bro in 2D-kun. Toradora just wins in characters in general, and having relatively better drama and development, since GT's Koko and Banri were all over the place.

As to the ending in Toradora, I've seen a bunch of shows since then but I recall the ending pissing me off too. This comes as a surprise to no one but I'm really into romance in anime, and yeah the ending was bullshit. After seeing Golden Time I now know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the writer has problems coming up with proper endings. Whether it's the last volume or the final scene. She doesn't seem to know how to end stuff definitively but on a vague fashion.

Alas
at least in both works the couples stayed together at the end
. As to the change in character in the last scene of Toradora
I think it was more due to her not seeing him for a while and all of a sudden he says it out of nowhere and she didn't know how to reach after it had been so long.

edit: as to your newest comments on disappointing endings, that's anime for you for the most part. Disappointing endings stem from greatly from source materials not being done by the point the anime is about to end. So that means either do original ending or have a vague ending. As to Toradora, that's just the author ending it badly.

That's a fair point
about her head butting him.
I just hated that THIS WAS the last scene we get with them. It just made me so angry. :( It made me feel like, there was no growth between them, and it all fell back to where they started. And given she wanted to "get stronger" (and granted, I get that had more to do with her family), I just thought it was bullshit that she runs out on him, then finally sees him and reverts back to IMO her weak self. I don't see her actions as being any stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom