• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Macross: Do you remember love?

Our main hero Hikaru wastes no time picking who he likes. He makes a choice, and sticks with it with no regrets. There's no long drawn-out angst scene where he's torn between the two loves of his life that would do nothing but waste time. (at least here they don't do that, I'm not sure how the anime itself handles it).

Would you believe the film's handling of it is the exact opposite of the TV series' handling of it? In the TV show Hikaru strings Misa and Minmay along for years after Minmay has strung him along for a long time and that kiss she has with her brother? That's a full-fledged relationship in the show that also gets drug out for YEARS.

I loved DYRL for cleaning that mess up so well.

Yeah, I'm going to tackle it next. I'm totally open to being depressed or sad (or angry), as long as the ending is powerful and well written. That's all I ask for. To be clear, I think it's because I connected so much with Toradora, that I feel so upset right now. I legitimately loved this show. When I was watching it, I honestly felt like it was one of the best things I had seen (with anime). I just loved everything about.

So regardless of the ending, I was always going to feel kind of bummed. Just because it was over, and I would feel sad that the story of these characters is over. BUT, the ending really just made that feeling 10x worse, as I went away feeling empty/unsatisfied.

That's a fair point
about her head butting him.
I just hated that THIS WAS the last scene we get with them. It just made me so angry. :(

Oh I see. Yeah like I said that was not how those characters deserved to go out. I knew it was the last episode and it felt like it was proceeding along fine but the writer wanted to throw in one last wrench into the works. Don't know why she felt that she needed to throw in that twist but she did it. There were many routes the author could've taken.

But all in all it was a great show with a memorable cast. The ending won't change my mind about the other brilliant 24 1/2 episodes that happened. But having that last half would've really been the cherry on top to a great show.

That's life for ya. Very few romance anime have satisfying endings. And those that do, 95% of the time it's a 'x many years later' where they're married and you see a quick glimpse into their daily lives. I tend to prefer these. They might be cliche at this point but at least I know they're living a normal happy life, so I don't tend to need more and can end the series there

I have like 10 shows I want to watch for spring, but I still have around 5 shows to finish, 4 shows to catch up on, at least 3 shows from my backlog I want to start on soon, 2 that I need to restart on, and 1 movie I still need to watch.

And I've haven't had time to watch anything these past few days.

Sad.gif

Mononoke

Banned
That's life for ya. Very few romance anime have satisfying endings. And those that do, 95% of the time it's a 'x many years later' where they're married and you see a quick glimpse into their daily lives. I tend to prefer these. They might be cliche at this point but at least I know they're living a normal happy life, so I don't tend to need more and can end the series there

Yeah, Honestly, I would have been happy if they just ended it with them being
Grandparents house, and them kissing as they practice their wedding or whatever. When it cuts to the stars after that moment, and that's also after the whole section about being apart of a family. That would by no means by a good ending, as it would feel rushed and abrupt. But it wouldn't have left me as hollow as them having her run out on him. And then the rest of the episode being about the school sulking about her being gone, and then randomly having her show back at his graduation for 4 seconds.

I personally don't like ending on confession or some other non conclusive ending. After Story spoiled me too much with how it proceeds after the confession and/or first kiss.

The situation you present I like. It's a shame so few anime have that but it's the defining thing that most don't have. It makes the ending satisfying.

Nordicus

Finishing so many shows in succession this weekend, I figured I should pick up something to watch over a long period.

Gintama 1-2

This... yeah, not the strongest opening (double)episode. Not really all that funny and the use of in medias res was sorta weird. I had to go to Gintama Wiki to make sure I actually was watching the first episodes. I have heard this show gets better as the episode count reached double digits, and I've not ragequit yet, so I'll see how this develops. Interesting little world though.

Gintama 3

Hmm, already a slight improvement. However, the cast will need to expand a bit. I'm interested in the Shinsegumi group that the double episode had, especially since ya know, Kazuya Nakai makes for excellent tsukkomi imo.

That's a fair point
about her head butting him.
I just hated that THIS WAS the last scene we get with them. It just made me so angry. :( It made me feel like, there was no growth between them, and it all fell back to where they started. And given she wanted to "get stronger" (and granted, I get that had more to do with her family), I just thought it was bullshit that she runs out on him, then finally sees him and reverts back to IMO her weak self. I don't see her actions as being any stronger.

IMO I think we're just supposed to assume this was shock and that they went back to where they were once things settled down
I mean they're both still together and in love with each other, assuming they'll go back within a couple of days to how they were isn't far fetched

And do what I do when I'm presented with an anime that ends with a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. Watch something that ends better/in a good way and has good characters. Here are some shows I highly recommend if you haven't seen some of them*:

Sakamichi no Apollon
Lamune
Toshokan Sensou (watch movie as well as it ends it all properly)
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Nodame Cantabile
Aishiteruze baby

*Some of these shows end similarly. I won't tell you which but I will tell you that the resolution is done much better.

Finishing so many shows in succession this weekend, I figured I should pick up something to watch over a long period.

Gintama 1-2

This... yeah, not the strongest opening (double)episode. Not really all that funny and the use of in medias res was sorta weird. I had to go to Gintama Wiki to make sure I actually was watching the first episodes. I have heard this show gets better as the episode count reached double digits, and I've not ragequit yet, so I'll see how this develops. Interesting little world though.

Gintama 3

I've said it to others and I'll say it again. The show doesn't reach amazing levels until the late 20's. I know it's not a good thing to hear but it's a 200+ episode anime, so that means 9/10'ths of the whole show are amazing. By the late 20's they'll have introduced the majority of the cast and it's just constant laughs and occasional serious arc. Right now they're still characterizing the current characters and slowly introducing other cast members.

I personally don't like ending on confession or some other non conclusive ending. After Story spoiled me too much with how it proceeds after the confession and/or first kiss.

The situation you present I like. It's a shame so few anime have that but it's the defining thing that most don't have. It makes the ending satisfying.

Look at the anime I listed above, Ano Natsu de Matteru and Aishiteruze Baby have relationships that go past the confession/first kiss. While they don't go to the same degree of post- anime x time later, they do end in a satisfying fashion... well at least the anime for Ano Natsu does.

Aishiteruze Baby should be continued off in the manga. Also if you haven't read it I can't recommend enough Ai Yori Aoshi and Kare Kano (the manga for both) as they are also about building a relationship that starts fairly early on.

Theonik

Space Dandy 13 (Final Dandy?)
iIBq4b8L1Esd4.png

Narag what are you doing, Narag stahp.
This episode answers the universe's greatest questions like "Can love bloom on the battlefield" "Can Androids drink Java"
It also proved that QT's heart can in fact grow 10 times its normal size.
Also proved that BONES hasn't forgotten how to mecha after E7AO.

Look at the anime I listed above, Ano Natsu de Matteru and Aishiteruze Baby have relationships that go past the confession/first kiss. While they don't go to the same degree of post- anime x time later, they do end in a satisfying fashion... well at least the anime for Ano Natsu does.

Aishiteruze Baby should be continued off in the manga. Also if you haven't read it I can't recommend enough Ai Yori Aoshi and Kare Kano (the manga for both) as they are also about building a relationship that starts fairly early on.

If can PM me some of the recommended anime you have listed I will get around to them after I get to some of the anime I promised others to watch. Spring season looks boring so I should have a few months to catch up. Thanks.

Gintama 1-2

First two were pretty much filler episodes anyway.

If can PM me some of the recommended anime you have listed I will get around to them after I get to some of the anime I promised others to watch. Spring season looks boring so I should have a few months to catch up. Thanks.

Go ahead and finish off your shows, then once you're done I'll list you some of my favorite romcoms/romantic dramas that end in a satisfying fashion.

Though some of my favorites didn't even have romance at the forefront, such as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
SDBurton
  • questionable taste in anime
  • permaglue yuri goggles

duckroll
  • questionable taste in anime
  • 3DCG apostle
  • beloved-franchise-now-on-mobile apostle
  • will protect everyone

I think I'll go with the former thanks

Amen to that!

SamFlam 22

Well this show was a lot of fun to watch. Ending episode was really sweet although I'm disappointing they didn't totally embrace the
D-T-L
there. Of course that was in stark contrast to the
SDBurton
that unfortunately happened just sporadically in the series. Boo.

So many insane twists and turns, honestly the show felt like 5 different series in one and yet at its core it still stays true to its themes of HEROISM.

Go ahead and finish off your shows, then once you're done I'll list you some of my favorite romcoms/romantic dramas that end in a satisfying fashion.

Though some of my favorites didn't even have romance at the forefront, such as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Is it weird that I like the original FMA more than Brotherhood?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also not to go all PshycoNinja but Clannad After Story is pretty much the best romance anime ever made.

Other personal favorites include Touch and Maison Ikkoku.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Be straight with me. Does it scratch that crazy geass itch?

It's nowhere near as legitimately good as Geass nor does it have the twists but its honestly as close as you'll get. Not really that close, because nothing is like Geass. But SamFlam definitely caters to those same appeals.

Also not to go all PshycoNinja but Clannad After Story is pretty much the best romance anime ever made.

Did you just use a my name as an adjective? Lol!!!!

But yes you are correct. Not to overhype it to everyone but it is a TruthFact. :p

Midonin

School Rumble OVAs

I was looking for something short, and since I never saw S2, I watched the thing that bridged the gap. Even several years separated from when I first finished, I remembered enough, and it was as enjoyable as I remembered, misunderstandings and love charts and all. The thing that stood out the most was the CGI mammoth fight scene. I do like how the ghost girl and Yoshidamaya stories were present in both.

cajunator

Banned

This is the best compromise to an actual ending. A lot of shows will end the series and show how life goes forward during the credits. I can think of Planetes as a good example of that.

It's nowhere near as legitimately good as Geass nor does it have the twists but its honestly as close as you'll get. Not really that close, because nothing is like Geass. But SamFlam definitely caters to those same appeals.

I like that description.

Is it weird that I like the original FMA more than Brotherhood?

Not necessarily. I liked them both for what they brought to the table, but I liked FMAB more due to the animation and the ending for the romantic aspect.

FMA's decision to
make one of the homunculus the spitting image of their mother and them struggling to fight her
was brilliant though. In fact I liked the homunculus cast better in the first one outside of wrath in FMA. They're both worth watching but only if you're a die hard fan of FMA. If somebody decides to watch only one of the shows, I'd still recommend to start with FMA until they reach the city and become state licensed alchemists, then continue off in FMAB. Because FMA does the intro so much better

cnet128

Banned
Nobunagun 13

WOOOOOO!
Jack x Nobunagun wins!!!

ò____ó

Buddy Complex 13 END PART ONE

A damn good end to the first cour. I was kind of hoping that
they would set up the time loop in this episode
, but they went one step further and
broke the time loop as well
! So now we finally have
Dio, Aoba and Hina united on the same side. Well, assuming their higher-ups are willing to accept a former enemy soldier into their ranks, that is. But considering how quick they were to accept a mystery boy who claimed he was from the past, I daresay there shouldn't be too much trouble there. She is, after all, a valuable potential Coupler just like Aoba was!

And luls @ that scene after the credits.
The best villains are always the unhinged ones, and you don't get more unhinged than a Bizon who has apparently been letting his obsessive hatred for Aoba fester for over seventy years >.>
Looking forward to the second season!

Haven't heard of touch, adding to list now. Though once again it's another anime with an overwhelming amount of episodes at first so it might be left for the summer as I tend to watch anime to finish it in one week or so during the regular year.

To those who have seen Maison Ikkoku I have a burning question that needs to be answered. Is it similar to the other works of the same author where it's a constant stream of tsundere will they/wont drama until the very end where they finally get together? Or do they get together at some point during the show?

Not that I mind THAT much if it's the former, I mean I'm used to it for anime, but it'd be nice to get a surprise from this author. I don't mind being spoiled a bit.

Not necessarily. I liked them both for what they brought to the table, but I liked FMAB more due to the animation and the ending for the romantic aspect.

FMA's decision to
make one of the homunculus the spitting image of their mother and them struggling to fight her
was brilliant though. In fact I liked the homunculus cast better in the first one outside of wrath in FMA. They're both worth watching but only if you're a die hard fan of FMA. If somebody decides to watch only one of the shows, I'd still recommend to start with FMA until they reach the city and become state licensed alchemists, then continue off in FMAB. Because FMA does the intro so much better

I just think I liked FMA more because it was much darker in tone and even animation. Brotherhood felt more restrained. I know brotherhood follows the manga better (or do I have that wrong?) but I just liked FMA for it's far darker tones.
The warehouse, Dr Tucker and his daughter, Rose being raped

It was dark and I thought it made for a more tense and provocative anime. But I totally see your point and can see why people would like Brotherhood. I just didn't like Brotherhood's opening episodes and the "softer" animation. Both can be watched and feel completely different because of how much the two stories diverge. Which I thought was pretty cool.

Jex

Anyway, flicking through earlier episodes of Kill la Kill I've come to the conclusion that the story was heavily re-written part of the way in, as per my posts in the main thread here, here and here. Just in case you weren't looking in there because it's been devoted to shipping characters for a few pages.

For once, I'm not just bitching about the show because of the animation of the writing. For real!

FMA does have a darker tone to it I won't deny that. FMAB suffered for me because it introduced that unnecessary loli and her stupid chibi panda, but at least it did action so right. And yes FMAB follows the manga more closely.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fuck you, Mei is awesome, and so is panda.

Both Ling and Mei were there to develop Xing's aristocracy and only Mei could introduce Xingese alchemical concepts to the Elric brothers.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker episode 126 (engDub)
BkAemEdCAAAncf9.png

Finally it addressed the Link Joker part potentially. The Crossbreakride was incredible especially with the Eradicator, Vowing Saber Dragon, Яeverse. I just want to buy this card today as its maybe the best Narukami clan card thus far. Naoki was plain incredible with it and then everyones response when FINAL TURN.

If Aichi had lost and Naoki became their antagonist to get back to the path of good, would have been good. I wonder who will be targeted next, or if Kai or so since he seems to be going into a darkish realm next episode

jgminto

Space Dandy 13

Wow, what an amazing end to the season. I feel like every time the show has tried to do something different, it has absolutely nailed it.

The more I read about Touch the more I have Kimagure Orange Road thoughts.Where it boiled down to a crapload of episodes of a guy who is too much of a wuss to confess his true feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom