• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hajime no ippo: rising 25(end)
DEM IRON FISTS! FUCK YEAH!
That story was so good, im a bit misty eyed right now, I love this series, and a season 4 needs to happen not 4 years later.

Tucker was a straight up disgusting man. I was disgusted with that character through and through. What he did horrified me. To this day my stomach churns when I see his face or think about what he did and Edwards reaction to the situation.

Tucker.png
Ugh

;_;

Funny, one of the biggest reasons why I prefer Brotherhood is because it includes the Xingese characters. Well, moreso Ling than Mei, but Mei is fun too.
I...think you may want to reformulate that sentence.

Lol I'm always doing like 20 things at the same time online. This was simply I started but decided to erase, forgot to do so though.

edit: as to FMA discussions, I especially love the author because she makes it so obvious that she absolutely loves dogs (outside of.. that event).

liZGlp9.gif

Dogs ftw fuck cats.

RoeBear

Legitimate question here. Is this really how the Japanese do their court system or is this exclusive to this series?

A supreme court judge, that was a wizard, found at the scene of the crime is given more credibility than a victim? Seriously "Cecil did it" and everyone is like ohhh man she's guilty, get her. The actual trials in this show were awful. It's like they just throw common sense out the window. Also, they showed a flashback at the hospital. Shouldn't there have been witnesses to support that Cecil died and somehow came back to life? Was I just supposed to turn off my brain while watching this stuff?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Wizard Coffee Maker - 12
I love a good melt-down and this episode delivers! Though this series seems really rushed and had issues, I find myself not regretting it exists so that's a positive.

On a strange note however, is it just me or were there some none speaking characters that were literally shown for the first time this episode getting more camera time than necessary? The last three minutes, I was like "Who's that?... when'd they show up?... wut?... etc."

Tucker was a straight up disgusting man. I was disgusted with that character through and through. What he did horrified me. To this day my stomach churns when I see his face or think about what he did and Edwards reaction to the situation.

Ugh

;_;

It was a great use of a partially developed character designed to endear herself to the viewer. She served her purpose really well on a few different levels :) That kicked my ass too :(

cnet128

Banned
Dogs ftw fuck cats.

brb destroying everything you hold dear.

(Which includes dogs, so hey, two birds one stone!)

Tonari no Seki-kun 13 END (but not really because it lives on through the power of the internets)

Delicious pool episode. And it turns out even pools are better with robots. Who knew?

Crocodile

Anyway, flicking through earlier episodes of Kill la Kill I've come to the conclusion that the story was heavily re-written part of the way in, as per my posts in the main thread here, here and here. Just in case you weren't looking in there because it's been devoted to shipping characters for a few pages.

For once, I'm not just bitching about the show because of the animation of the writing. For real!

Hey! I just wanted to say thanks for doing this. There were some niggling plot threads that were kind of bothering me but I didn't have the time or energy to go back and rewatch some of the earlier episodes to try to put words to my questions/suspicions. I think this shines a big light on the narrative issues of the series has and is probably indicative of mismanagement or some unfortunate circumstances/influences behind the scenes that forced a departure and caused them to run out of time :(

cajunator

Banned
Lol I'm always doing like 20 things at the same time online. This was simply I started but decided to erase, forgot to do so though.

edit: as to FMA discussions, I especially love the author because she makes it so obvious that she absolutely loves dogs (outside of.. that event).

liZGlp9.gif

Dogs ftw fuck cats.

NEAUX

The only time a cat is acceptable is if it is also a humanoid girl.

Maybe...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh yeah I forced myself to catch up and finish Strike the blood turns out I dropped it at episode 13 and started from 14....meh, it got slightly better but not by much

Strike the Blood Episode 24 – Empire of the Dawn II [END]

Well the ending crushes my hopes of ever checking out this series. how could they even make that the canon one, it just doesnt make sense. All the other options out there.
Bah and even making her the child and almost tricking us into thinking Kojou died :( Atrocious end

Alright anime overall, it dragged in lots of places and was easily overshadowed by other magical anime. Additionally it always stayed on the generic level while satisfying many obligations for fanservices and the typical fanservicy scenes no matter how out of place they were. Blood sucking was quite unnecessary and done in a manner to turn me off from it. Felt like they did in the last episode when everyone was awkward looking away. 5/10.

Articalys

I hope this show does absolute shit in sales.
Now, the Amazon Ranking Stalker is by no means an end-all-be-all of sales predictors, and there's still a month to go, and Nobunagun is being released in a unconventional two-box format... but when the current prediction is about 650 BD+DVD combined, it's probably not going to fare too well.

Gbraga

Anyway, flicking through earlier episodes of Kill la Kill I've come to the conclusion that the story was heavily re-written part of the way in, as per my posts in the main thread here, here and here. Just in case you weren't looking in there because it's been devoted to shipping characters for a few pages.

For once, I'm not just bitching about the show because of the animation of the writing. For real!

Nice read, reminded me that I actually believed the "life fibers are a creation of Hitler while experimenting on people". It would be so fucking cool.

Strike the Blood Episode 24 – Empire of the Dawn II [END]

Well the ending crushes my hopes of ever checking out this series. how could they even make that the canon one, it just doesnt make sense. All the other options out there.
Bah and even making her the child and almost tricking us into thinking Kojou died :( Atrocious end

Alright anime overall, it dragged in lots of places and was easily overshadowed by other magical anime. Additionally it always stayed on the generic level while satisfying many obligations for fanservices and the typical fanservicy scenes no matter how out of place they were. Blood sucking was quite unnecessary and done in a manner to turn me off from it. Felt like they did in the last episode when everyone was awkward looking away. 5/10.

i don't understand you this ending confirmed that
both main girl won and the fact that there is an empire and the talks the daughter did last episode implies that it might be more than 2 girl that won. in short it's a confirmed harem ending .. heck even vatler is probably alive 20 years later.
There is nothing to be angry about, this ending is actually the only thing saving those 2 last episodes.

Gbraga

Can't say I'd blame him!

Bummed that the locket will be fixed. Was happy that Onodera will never get to put her key into the hole.

Chitoge and Tsugumi are the best, I agree, but I really can't hate Onodera, she's ridiculously cute >_<

I'm interested in the brown haired girl teased in the ending art.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Now, the Amazon Ranking Stalker is by no means an end-all-be-all of sales predictors, and there's still a month to go, and Nobunagun is being released in a unconventional two-box format... but when the current prediction is about 650 BD+DVD combined, it's probably not going to fare too well.

I have been avenged.

Damn right I am. Tease us with possible yuri in the early episodes only to settle on some vanilla garbage? Your shit deserves to vanish into the depths of obscurity never to be mentioned nor thought of again.

lol

Your character comes full circle!

So rude! :p

CorvoSol

Great Mazinger 19

Well I'll be damned. I really never, ever expected an episode like this out of a show like this. People accuse old school mecha of being sexist, racist, rude, low-brow and crude at times. It can certainly be all of those things, no doubt, but today I want to present an episode to you that proves that of all things, Great Mazinger is actually capable of being much more than that.

z82R3L4.gif

So this episode focuses on Great Mazinger's heroine, Jun. Jun is already an impressive character for being a competent, useful female fighter in a mecha anime. Now, I've seen no shortage of female pilots in my time and they run the gamut, but Jun is impressive specifically because she won't accept that she's second to Tetsuya and Great Mazinger. Jun is always willing to put that extra mile to match Tetsuya, even though she's only somewhat better than Boss at times. Over the last nigh-20 episodes, Jun's been characterized as a fun-loving, competitive, compassionate girl.

This episode decides it's time to really push that limit and explore a facet of her character I really had not expected. Specifically, the episode decides to focus on Jun's race and to a lesser extent her sex.

ACE2a7L.gif

Our episode begins with Jun at a beauty salon, getting her hair done, and these two Japanese ladies prattling on about their complexions, and it isn't until the hag takes this particular dig that you really get what's happening: they're ragging on Jun for being black. And while Jun is a girl who has helped save the Earth numerous times, she still has feelings, and they're pretty clearly hurt. Specifically, Jun spends her time concerned that as a half-black orphan she's unmarriable and as a girl on top of that she feels pretty darn marginalized (ask yourself how many women you have seen in the Science Fortress Lab not named Jun up to this point. Answer: 0).

ibphvmlaAyJqXo.gif

Like, you always hear about how racist Japan is, but you don't often see it touched upon in anime, I think, and even more rarely do you really see it touched on in an old anime that was targeted primarily at kids and families. And they play this as far and as hard as they can in this episode. If the last 18 episodes meant anything for the audience's feelings toward Jun (and they certainly did for me!) then that's what Nagai and his team want as they really dig into you here.

i76WmWSu626ea.gif

s9Cip08.gif

ca5C8bE.png

Why yes, that's an emotionally damaged teenage girl scrubbing her skin until she bleeds to try to make herself whiter. And mind you, this isn't today where she'd at least have some recourse or something to make herself feel better. A black girl in 1970s Japan is just going to suffer, plain and simple, and nobody is going to give a damn. And it's left her a total wreck. Like, what those ladies have said to her have messed poor Jun up and opened pretty much the floodgates of emotions here.

She's so upset, in fact, that she tears up the only picture she has of her biological father. Kenzo Kabuto, her adoptive father, is seen here, holding it and feeling pretty crappy that there's nothing he can do to help his daughter.

oJqI4Z0.png

Of course, Jun isn't actually alone, and the episode makes a point of emphasizing that all of the good men in her life actually do care about her and don't look down on her because of her race. In fact, Tetsuya is so pissed off when he hears that that's why she's down in the dumps that he tries to Bright Slap her out of it.

QxeQnSy.png

That sort of dated method of snapping people out of funks aside, this here is the main character of an insanely popular 1970s Japanese television program telling people that racism is bad. Like, the romance between Tetsuya and Jun was already probably pushing the limits back then, but you really have to hand it to Nagai and his team for having the stones to come out and say this on TV. Like, this is the equivalent of all the stuff X-Men did back in the day.

Mind you, this isn't nearly over, and Jun's not snapping out of it because slapping someone in the face doesn't actually work all that often. She points out moments later to Shiro that there's more to this than just being a black orphan in Japan:

CCKQFFB.png

If Tomino had written this episode, this'd be the part where Jun'd betray the team, join the Emperor of Darkness in the hopes he'd make her a white man, not become a white man, and die needlessly hours later. Since I assume that Nagai, for all his fan-service, is still a better writer than Tomino could ever hope to be, that doesn't happen. What DOES happen is the Mycenae attack and Great Mazinger is sort of tied up by one and its up to Jun to fix it, but as she watches the flames as the city burns, she remembers what incredible douchebags the Japanese were to her, even as a kid, turns her back on their burning city, and leaves.

bi7LvAs.png

Like for reals, basically these people have emotionally tormented this girl since she was a kid, and she can't find it in herself to go and save them. Sickened and terrified, Jun runs away to Father O'Mecha's Church to pray to Jesus Yamato, who died for all Mechakind's sins, for strength. Now, I don't know how many of you are familiar with Mecha and Religion as a subject, but I've been around the block enough times to expect the worst any time a mecha show goes to a Church. Surprisingly, however, Father O'Mecha delivers a very powerful sermon to Jun. He points out to her that her actions are selfish, and that everyone needs her now. That God has granted her the strength to do what everyone who is like her cannot: to fight her oppressors, and stand as a symbol of hope for those who live in fear.

Boss comes in and pleads with Jun, telling her that no matter what was going on the team needed her, and it's really actually endearing. Like, Boss can be a HUGE creep sometimes, most of the time, really, but this one time he comes into this Church and he gets on his knees and he does everything he can to lift Jun's spirits and displays more heart than you'd expect from the guy who single-handedly invented Bulk and Skull.

OQknfk5.gif

Empowered by this revelation, that she can make a difference and help prevent and ease the suffering of others who suffer like she does, Jun mounts up in her robot, gets out there and saves the day. As in Jun, the half-black girl, not Tetsuya, the hot-blooded Japanese kid, goes out there, kicks the asses of the bad guys, and makes them admit that they lost because SHE came and SHE beat them. In a 1970s cartoon show.

The episode concludes with a romantic little sunset that Jun and Tetsuya are gazing out on. As it ignites the snow a fiery red, Professor Kabuto remarks that that burning red is the true color of all mankind, because it's the color of their souls.

CbAINoG.gif

So there it is, a positively marvelous and completely unexpected episode that is hard hitting on its message, delivers an incredible amount of character development--not for the protagonist, but the heroine--and sees her struggle with and overcome issues which were and are incredibly relevant to real people, all dressed up and framed around a conflict between giant robots and alien monsters. That's Mecha at its finest, and if the community will permit me to, that's really anime, television, and fiction at its finest right there. An engaging story with relateable, sympathetic characters framing a thought provoking message in the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom