• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The mom's in the same place all the action scenes in ep11 went.

8kSsKGz.png

cnet128

Banned
So in the end, how did the show end up using the earthquake. And apparently 9/11, as another poster suggested?

It was nothing particularly notable. The asshole I-1 president guy just opened the big idol contest with a speech where he made a point about his view of entertainment through an anecdote about some show that almost got cancelled in the wake of 9-11, but ended up going ahead because it was exactly what the people needed or whatever.

duckroll

Can anyone post noitamina schedule for 2014 again?

Spring - Ping Pong / Nanana's Buried Treasure

Summer - Zankyo no Terror / Psycho-Pass Remix (1 hour long episodes!)

Fall - Psycho-Pass 2 / Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Winter - Saenai Kanojo no Sodate Kata / Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Soma

Madoka Magica Rebellion Movie Thing

In which Homura is basically this guy for most of the movie.

I was actually on board with this movie up until the last fourth where it kinda got weird and dumb with the whole
NO MADOKA I AM THE DEMONS
. The movie already had some weird moments with
random cake songs, breakdancing transformations and a creepy Charlotte character that keeps repeatedly talking about cheese
. I guess it was bad enough that I felt like the movie was dragging on at this point and certainly didn't help that I thought the series was conclusive and kiiiiiiiiiinda didn't need this film in the first place.

One thing I will say was that this was definitely a beautiful looking movie. That weird Russian/Czech inspired art design adopted for the Witch realms seemed to have been increased tenfold for the setting and creates this heavy dream-like atmosphere that's constantly present in nearly every scene of the movie. The movie sized budget really brought the setting to life and the result is a visual feast for the eyes. The OST is also as strong as ever too. Even if Kajiura's music has gotten to the point where it's started to sound samey, her work for Madoka Magica is still one of my favorites.

So I dunno. I didn't hate it at all like I thought I would but I still feel that it's really unnecessary. There's some cool moments and I'd say it's almost worth watching for the visuals alone.

fertygo

Is Hajime no Ippo Rising worth watching on its own, or should one watch the original series first?

Iddeally you'd want the previous season first, but I really want more people watch last 4 episode of Rising because its a masterpiece.

Its also pretty standalone if you "force" it, if there's people that suggest this for Kara no Kyoukai then why not for Kamogawa arc of Rising that its time investment for following the entire series will scare more people.

fertygo

Spring - Ping Pong / Nanana's Buried Treasure

Summer - Zankyo no Terror / Psycho-Pass Remix (1 hour long episodes!)

Fall - Psycho-Pass 2 / Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Winter - Saenai Kanojo no Sodate Kata / Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

That magical chair show isn't for this year or a movie? :(

I'm sad...

EDIT: oops double post, sorry.

Midonin

Saki The Nationals 12

Himematsu
moves ahead. So much for the mikos and Mayayan, but it was a good final match. Saki showed why she's the boss, and the character interactions afterward were nice. I'm surprised there's still one more episode, and it looks to finally close the gap between parent series and spinoff. Nodoka's meeting with the girls of Achiga shall come to pass.

Space Dandy 13 and Season 1 Thoughts
mwieQ46.jpg

Love hurts, love scars, love wounds
And mars, any heart
Not tough or strong enough
To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud
Holds a lot of rain
Love hurts......ooh, ooh love hurts

What a beautiful episode. The Daft Punk love song was amazing. The action at the end was great. And
the broken heart
of a vacuum cleaner brought feels unimaginable to many. QT, you are a trooper. And that is my final Dandy.

Space Dandy didn't start out strong, outside of the animation department. In fact, a little below half of the total episodes of the first season have humor that fail for the most part. But as an experimentation, Space Dandy thrived. Sure there are characters I'd love to see come back, such as the little girl alien who opened Dandy's heart. I absolutely cannot wait for season 2, I hope they continue the trend of the heart-tugging episodes as those have been the best. I'll see you this July Dandy crew.

IzEIUA1.jpg

You're Gonna Carry That Weight

Midonin

Tonari no Seki-kun 13

I'm not sure if I should give a final thoughts for this one, since the DVDs list 21 episodes, but Syoboi says that today was the last one, and CR still has it in its "continuing simulcasts" spot. I'll see for sure next week.

For a final(?) episode, the return of Poptimus Prime was much appreciated. A pool is such a public arena that the chance of Seki pulling anything off seems slim, and somehow, he still managed to do it.

G Gundam - 1

All righty, lets see what we got here:
1. Badass awesome OP? Check.
2. Guy who's got Kallen's hairdo and is badass outside of a Gundam as well? Check.
3. Awesome finishing move? Check.

Yeah this is definetly gonna be a good ride.

Like I said, Gundam knows how to start their shows with a bang.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Tonari no Seki-kun 13 END...???

And with that, for the first time in a long time, my "Watching" list on MAL is completely empty. Pretty good episode, and it was nice to see
robot family
return.

As for the show itself, it's not actually over, as there's 8 more episodes that I think CR is going to stream? Either way, there's still more Seki to come!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Space Dandy 13:

Astonishing. Absolutely astonishing. When this show finally gained emotional substance and an awareness of its own artistic freedom a few episodes ago it's been nothing but a huge upward trajectory of technical and directorial spectacle, character experimentation, and great writing, and this episode was a fantastic punctuation mark for the show to end its first season on because it took all of its wild creative energy and channeled it into a fairly simple and familiar literary concept instead. Like episode 10, it's a story that's powerful because it remains the same when transplanted to an alien world; in fact, most of Space Dandy has been devoted to the idea that humans are only superficially different from aliens and that, ultimately, we desire the same things and experience the same emotions, but now more than ever the show has the maturity and confidence to explore these ideas without leaning too much on its goofball crutch. I loved this episode, and I couldn't be happier to see this show finally achieving its potential. Hopefully S2 hits the ground running instead of reverting to early S1 as a "reintroduction".

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Why did i just laugh out loud in front of my computer ..

Because you're awesome, that's why!

Oh, and I got back into playing Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus. Had to reformat my Vita so I could download the DLC from the JPN PSN (wanted Daidouji and Rin so bad) so I'm speeding through it right now to unlock Homura's squad. Will get around to providing best girl ranks when I'm done.

==================

Saki: Zenkoku-hen - 12

1iTeIU1.png

Dat purity

Himematsu made it out of there by the skin of their teeth, and mostly thanks to Saki ending that round as both Miyomori and Eisui had hands at the ready.
What's crazy is that out of this pool filled with people that have ungodly super powers, the one person Saki fears is
Kyouko Suehara, the girl who doesn't have any.
And from what it was hinted at, looks likes she may undergo some intense training to hande
Saki's playstyle

Theonik

Space Dandy 13:
in fact, most of Space Dandy has been devoted to the idea that humans are only superficially different from aliens and that, ultimately, we desire the same things and experience the same emotions,
You could say that "minna onaji ningen da"

Nordicus

Iddeally you'd want the previous season first, but I really want more people watch last 4 episode of Rising because its a masterpiece.
Likewise. Today just earlier, I said to one of my friends "Dude, I'm serious, watch Hajime no Ippo Rising 22-25. Best flashback arc ever, and might sell you on the series"

Man, now I regret dropping Space Dandy early on. Maybe I'll pick it back up.

When did you drop it? Because episodes 4, 5, can't remember which is the one with the dog half, then the last couple were amazing. Like about 1/2 of the total episodes were great. Which isn't a good track record in retrospect, but the other episodes are SO good on an artistic level that it's forgivable when they bring a shitty comedy episode.

My favorite episode, outside of the father-daughter Space Dandy bonding episode, was the one before this one.

Is that your final dandy?

Haibane Renmei 2

The show is quite fascinating. Some really good world building. Those guys at market are pretty scary looking.

Didn't know Corvo was in this. :p
That crow in town and raven in the first episode. Haven't remembered everyone's name yet but I am sure I will by episode 5 or 6. Always takes me a few episodes. There's not really anything I am finding wrong with this show so far. It's a really great effort all around. Thanks for the recommendation Branduil.

Branduil

Haibane Renmei 2

The show is quite fascinating. Some really good world building. Those guys at market are pretty scary looking.

Didn't know Corvo was in this. :p
That crow in town and raven in the first episode. Haven't remembered everyone's name yet but I am sure I will by episode 5 or 6. Always takes me a few episodes. There's not really anything I am finding wrong with this show so far. It's a really great effort all around. Thanks for the recommendation Branduil.

It gets even better.

fertygo

Likewise. Today just earlier, I said to one of my friends "Dude, I'm serious, watch Hajime no Ippo Rising 22-25. Best flashback arc ever, and might sell you on the series"

Yup, its big shame if many people not watch it because they thinking "shoot, I must watch 120 episode first" ;_;
The flashback arc is THAT good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The mom's in the same place all the action scenes in ep11 went.
RIP.

It was nothing particularly notable. The asshole I-1 president guy just opened the big idol contest with a speech where he made a point about his view of entertainment through an anecdote about some show that almost got cancelled in the wake of 9-11, but ended up going ahead because it was exactly what the people needed or whatever.
Ahhh, okay. I thought it would actually show a flashback or something, but no one is that crazy.

So does that mean the show is set during/shortly after the earthquake?

Nordicus

Yup, its big shame if many people not watch it because they thinking "shoot, I must watch 120 episode first" ;_;
The flashback arc is THAT good.
And it doesn't really spoil anything big either (supposing you're not shocked that some titles will be won by 100+th episode). Those 4 episodes are nice and self-contained for the most part

cnet128

Banned
Ahhh, okay. I thought it would actually show a flashback or something, but no one is that crazy.

So does that mean the show is set during/shortly after the earthquake?

Honestly I don't recall any reference to the earthquake in the show. Not sure where that talk came from.

Nafe

For me anyway, it really came down to them not having the time to do the Gintama-esque wacky episodes that are clearly there. The "one off" episodes only existed when they needed to introduce new characters - like Kofuku - but otherwise, it was all Yukine and then all Yato. It feels like a good introduction to a longer running series... or more precisely, an invitation to read the manga.

Much like that Bimbogami-ga anime from a year or so ago, now that I think about it.

Yeah, if it was of the same quality, I would really like it if there was a second season. Normally I don't really read manga but I might see if I can take a look at Noragami.

Another thing I forgot to mention is I like how at least some of the characters actually had a bit of a wardrobe and you would see them in a few different outfits. I like it when shows put in the effort to do that kind of thing.

Wait, you are somehow implying these are bad things.

I mean if you didn't like the movie there are much better disparaging comparisons you could have made!

That comparison is the only thing that soothes the pain and hatred I feel from that movie. But even so:
I never asked for Homura to turn into some devil mastermind to go against Madoka and for Sayaka to...well Sayaka was very Suzaku-ish from the beginning anyway, but it's more apparent because of this movie.

So how's the next sequel going to end? CODE GEASS R2 SPOILERS
Is Homura gonna come up with a master plan that involves Sayaka killing her while Madoka cries over her corpse cutting to a scene of everyone living peaceful lives? That's probably not too far off from the truth. Perhaps Mami and Kyoko will run an orange farm while they're at it!

Because you're awesome, that's why!
We both are :)
Oh, and I got back into playing Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus. Had to reformat my Vita so I could download the DLC from the JPN PSN (wanted Daidouji and Rin so bad) so I'm speeding through it right now to unlock Homura's squad. Will get around to providing best girl ranks when I'm done.
Don't get too long otherwise you'll have to play the game again
when xseed will decide to annonce that they are reasdy for this one.. they are taking too long but given the amount of text Sv has i'm not surprised.
==================

Saki: Zenkoku-hen - 12

Himematsu made it out of there by the skin of their teeth, and mostly thanks to Saki ending that round as both Miyomori and Eisui had hands at the ready.
What's crazy is that out of this pool filled with people that have ungodly super powers, the one person Saki fears is
Kyouko Suehara, the girl who doesn't have any.
And from what it was hinted at, looks likes she may undergo some intense training to hande
Saki's playstyle

Can't wait to see this episode in action.

jman2050

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 9

Why hello... new character who was never introduced at all. Of course she leaves after this episode so she might as well not even be there.

So in this episode our idiots channel the spirits of their dead detective ancestors to solve a crime they were framed for. Of course Cordelia is still the best one. Then an action scene happens and stuff and Sherlock Holmes does awesome things or whatever.

I swear they're steadily making Henrietta's chest bigger with each episode for no reason.

Also Kokoro is basically a mascot character at this point.

Gbraga

Wow, Noragami certainly surprised me. I was ready to start reading the manga, but honestly? I really like the ending. Felt like a great introduction to the world of Noragami but at the same time really gave closure with that last arc. I assume it was a filler arc? I can't see them going back to "case of the week" after something like that happening, that's why I assume it is, but who knows.

Great cast of likable characters (I've read some bad things about Yukine, but I honestly really like him), interesting protagonist and Kofuku, Hiyorin and Bisha are so pretty >_<

I think it's my favorite show this season that is not about cute girls or the absolute stupidity of Samurai Flamenco.

If I had to make a top 3, it would probably be either Mikakunin > Sakura Trick > Noragami or Mikakunin > Sakura Trick > Samurai Flamenco.

Still have to watch the final 4 episodes for Tokyo Ravens though, and given how much I like Suzuka, who knows...

Fuck Imaisihi, cute girls will save anime.

EDIT: Oh, right, forgot to say: Superior BONES show this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom