• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember that where Wing's fights are flashy war machines going to town on one another, G's fights are martial arts matches. Sort of. Also that G is Wing's predecessor, so Wing has the benefit of learning from G in some areas.

I'm not saying Relena isn't like, the worst girl in Wing, just that after seeing how bad Gundam girls can really be, Relena's a pretty low-tier drag. PLUS she has that one good moment in the movie.

Oh I know that. I won't hold it against G Gundam. Wouldn't be fair given when it was made and in the context of what was going on.

Still can't deny those Wing fights though. And the first time I saw the Gundam transformed into an air fighter my 10 year old mind was blown

Speaking of which, is there ANYONE here who managed to make it to the end of Saint Seiya Omega? It should be finished or about to finish and apparently Toei has decided not to continue with more seasons, but it was apparently sub Doki-tier by all accounts and I'd like to know if there was actually anyone who had the willpower to see it through.

I did. I thought I'd given up at some point, but watching Heartcatch Precure somehow ended up being therapeutic enough for me to suffer through the rest of it(as ironic as that is).

I think there's one episode left. Or at the very least, the climax to this (final)arc should be next episode.

KumaJG

Would you mind going into a little more detail, spoilers are fine I'm just curious. I've watched the anime, I'll probably read the manga instead now instead of being lazy.

Anime downplayed much of the violence seen in the manga, completely erasing any blood from tense battles such as Toriko vs. Starjun's GT Robo. Toriko vs Tommyrod, and Sani vs Tommyrod to name few.

Toriko/Four Heavenly Kings vs Joa never happens

Teppi does not 2v1 Jirou/Setsuno in the manga because he is no where near that strong.

Midora and Ichiryuu specials abilities dismissed.

Ichiryuu was still alive because of the filler episode unlike the manga

Coco goes missing for days, losses to Grinpatch

Toriko losses to Starjun and Komatsu gets kidnapped.

Human World almost destroyed by Midora

Just watched the first Harumi Endless Eight episode. I was all "hey this is pretty cool I wonder why people hate it"

Then I read the synopsis of the next episode

and the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

Fuck that shit. Skipping Endless Eight. CERTAIN RECENT RPG SPOILERS
Bravely Harumi.

Just watched the first Harumi Endless Eight episode. I was all "hey this is pretty cool I wonder why people hate it"

and the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

Bravely Harumi.

Don't listen to anyone telling you to watch them all. The Endless Eight is just an exercise is wasteful self-indulgence, there's zero reason to watch more than two episodes of it.

Instro

Anime downplayed much of the violence seen in the manga, completely erasing any blood from tense battles such as Toriko vs. Starjun's GT Robo. Toriko vs Tommyrod, and Sani vs Tommyrod to name few.

Toriko/Four Heavenly Kings vs Joa never happens

Teppi does not 2v1 Jirou/Setsuno in the manga because he is no where near that strong.

Midora and Ichiryuu specials abilities dismissed.

Ichiryuu was still alive because of the filler episode unlike the manga

Coco goes missing for days, losses to Grinpatch

Toriko losses to Starjun and Komatsu gets kidnapped.

Human World almost destroyed by Midora

lol I kind of figured, but its amusing non the less. The censoring is obvious of course. Gonna go ahead and spoiler tag that in case anyone minds.

jman2050

Endless Eight is a terrible terrible thing and if you liked it you were an unfortunate victim of Stockholm Syndrome. Seek help immediately.

wonzo

Banned
There's always Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R if you're feeling Toei-curious next season. It's basically a reboot of a 90s detective anime that ran for like three years.
Wait, I was under the impression it was a sequel to the old TV series? If it actually is a reboot then I may just check it out when I've cleared of some stuff from my backlog.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

and the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

Bravely Harumi.

Endless Eight is like a sports event. If you didn't watch it live, there's literally no point since you can just read the box score.

Gazoinks

Space Battleship Pirate Galaxy Express 999 3
l0Fpu6Gl.jpg

:murica

I like how they can straight-up open a window and stick their head out. Because that's how space works!

Both stories in this episode were pretty good, but a little underdeveloped. I think they both could've been expanded into full episodes and been better off for it.
Especially Titan, which could've been really interesting if delved into farther, but here it was too short to really get into it.

Also let me get this straight.
The Grape Soldiers grab Maetel. They strip her while on a canoe for some reason. Only when they get to land does she finally pull out her gun and shoot them all, at which point she... faints? I guess she didn't want Tetsuro to feel embarrassed about coming all this way to rescue her only for her to be fine.

The Tetsuro kill count increases again. By the end of this series he's going to have a higher body-count than the average villain.

fertygo

Don't listen to anyone telling you to watch them all. The Endless Eight is just an exercise is wasteful self-indulgence, there's zero reason to watch more than two episodes of it.

Unless you're staff whore, there's definitely episode that better than others from the bunch.. I only able to finish 5 though lol..

Branduil

Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai

Have you ever wanted to live in a fantasy world where Chuunibyou was actually good?

This film was based on a light novel by Romeo Tanaka, who also wrote the series Humanity Has Declined. This film also shares the director of the anime adaptation of said series, Seiji Kishi. It might be a good idea for him to only direct Romeo Tanaka material from now on. I guess I should also mention that the prolific Kana Hanazawa voices the main heroine. And if you were upset about the ending to Chuunibyou s2, don't worry,
they kiss in the first twenty minutes

There's a number of reasons this is a much better Chuunibyou than Chuunibyou. For one, there are actual social consequences to acting like a weirdo; the story also doesn't engage in gross false equivalences in order to justify never facing reality. Indeed, the entire purpose of the story, while rightly condemning bullying, is to illustrate that escaping into a complete fantasy is unhealthy and potentially harmful. It does this even while acknowledging in an evenhanded way that a certain amount of escapism is fine and healthy.

That's not to say it's a perfect film by any means. Though not exactly ugly, the layouts still often feel amateur, and the animation often cheap or nonexistent. The characters can still feel a bit too "anime" at times, and I think you all understand what I mean by that. There's also a rather tasteless fanservice scene. And how the heck did she
build that giant fortress of schooldesks?
I guess you could justify by saying it's an exaggeration based on her fantasy, or the old "magical realism" trope, but still. Overall, though, it's a film that should satisfy anyone who actually wanted to like Chuunibyou, but was forced to face the reality of it being an insultingly-written apologetic for delusion.

Also, dat Michiru Oshima score.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's a good comparison, but I weep for you if that's how you see sports events. As monotonous repetition.
I do, mostly because I don't care about any players or teams. Like I can't imagine why you would riot if your sportball team loses a championship.

But my comparison stems from the fact that the excitement of watching Endless Eight is the same as watching a sports match - you don't know what will happen. Once it's over, the only reason you would go back to it is because you are interested in it in some academic manner.

Please tell me the LN's or the novels or w/e the show is based on did it just as bad. If not the little amount of respect I still hold for KyoAni continues to dwindle down if they seriously thought it was cool to do like 7/8 episodes of this bull.

They should've taken a note from
Space Dandy.
That's how you do these type of episodes right.

I do, mostly because I don't care about any players or teams. Like I can't imagine why you would riot if your sportball team loses a championship.

But my comparison stems from the fact that the excitement of watching Endless Eight is the same as watching a sports match - you don't know what will happen. Once it's over, the only reason you would go back to it is because you are interested in it in some academic manner.

How would you not know what was going to happen after 2 or 3 episodes? The Eight in the title is a dead giveaway.

Jintor

Please tell me the LN's or the novels or w/e the show is based on did it just as bad. If not the little amount of respect I still hold for KyoAni continues to dwindle down if they seriously thought it was cool to do like 7/8 episodes of this bull.

Space Dandy.

hahahahaha

i don't think they thought it was cool. i thought they thought 'fuck it, that's what we want to do', and did it

HappinessCharge Precure 9

fvaI6X3.jpg
uTfDYFC.jpg

This actually happened.

THAT WALK OFF FROM
CURE RHYTHM
. Toei still bros

txFuXkm.gif

Clearly I'm the best girl in town. Madp, Hito and Nafe have some challengers, but Nafe hasn't even pulled out the guns yet!

I mean lets think about it.
I made General Specific/DIO fall for me, and getting Hoshiiwa to sing with me next week
. Shit, I sing about FOOD! How fitting! Lets take it another step
IM ALREADY A CURE BABY! AND THEY DON'T KNOW THAT IT IS I, KIRBYAYOI

NEXT TIME: International Cures aren't a one off, KirbYayoi continues the best girl streak.... and QUALITY

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai

Also, dat Michiru Oshima score.
Hrm... maybe I need to watch this.

Not true at all, otherwise sports movies would never work! Although it does depend on the specific game.
Sports movies != sportsball matches.

If the NFL was like Friday Night Lights, I'd probably buy one of those season pass things. But it's not like they're going to have cameras follow the players every day and tell the story of their personal lives. lol

How would you not know what was going to happen after 2 or 3 episodes? The Eight in the title is a dead giveaway.
I can't remember if you were here when it aired, but people kept saying "They can't really do this for eight episodes?" every week. Even the episode when they troll the fuck out of the audience by having Kyon *almost* break the cycle was glorious because of the frustration it caused.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
HappinessCharge Precure 9

THAT WALK OFF FROM
CURE RHYTHM
. Toei still bros

txFuXkm.gif

Clearly I'm the best girl in town. Madp, Hito and Nafe have some challengers, but Nafe hasn't even pulled out the guns yet!

I mean lets think about it.
I made General Specific/DIO fall for me, and getting Hoshiiwa to sing with me next week
. Shit, I sing about FOOD! How fitting! Lets take it another step
IM ALREADY A CURE BABY! AND THEY DON'T KNOW THAT IT IS I, KIRBYAYOI

NEXT TIME: International Cures aren't a one off, KirbYayoi continues the best girl streak.
Madp and I too busy acting like Usagi. :(

Although the lyrics of that song are very Sammy TV OP.

jman2050

Space Dandy.

It was adapted from one short story in one of the pre-Disappearance novels I think. The story only covered the very last loop and nothing more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was adapted from one short story in one of the pre-Disappearance novels I think. The story only covered the very last loop and nothing more.
Not like there's anyway to do this in book form, short of literally releasing the same short story over and over again in a serial format like a magazine or online or something.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sports movies != sportsball matches.

If the NFL was like Friday Night Lights, I'd probably buy one of those season pass things. But it's not like they're going to have cameras follow the players every day and tell the story of their personal lives. lol
Actually they do! You just need to watch the supplementary materials. For example, in the 2012 season one of the Seattle Seahawks players made weekly youtube videos of locker room talk and interactions.

I was gonna watch Aura but the animation and character design looks so boring that I genuinely couldn't recognize the protagonist when he was put aside two similar people.

Also the topic of bullying/trying to be popular is something that stings for me as I was that kid doing early high school. The geek trying to fit in, doing shit I was ashamed of (I got bullied in junior high though, not high school).

How bad is the bullying Branduil? Enough to make somebody like me cringe at the memories? NO PAPA NO IT'S NOT GOOFY TIME.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Actually they do! You just need to watch the supplementary materials. For example, in the 2012 season one of the Seattle Seahawks players made weekly youtube videos of locker room talk and interactions.
But did that player also document his struggle to get out of poverty in small town Texas and get a college scholarship?!

Do it for Yuu Kobayashi.
She's already dead. :(

Not like there's anyway to do this in book form, short of literally releasing the same short story over and over again in a serial format like a magazine or online or something.

Oh god. I'm dying you have no idea. I'm fucking crying at the thought of the author for the novel.

Author: I need to make a popular novel so this gets picked up for an anime. But so far it's just about kids having fun in the summer....hmmmmm......

Ctrl+A

Ctrl+C

Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V

Critics are calling Haruhi: Endless Eight the biggest novel of the season

"I didn't think he'd do it again. But then he did. Holy shit. My mind is blown"- Andrew Sarris

"The deconstruction of the sci fi genre contained within this pages just springs into action as you feel you are there with Haruhi and co. Wow what a novel" -Pauline Kael

"I got paid to review this positively" -Roger Ebert

"His penis is honoring her" - Youtube commenter

Branduil

Hrm... maybe I need to watch this.

You should! Especially since you're not the type to get hung up on things like the classroom suffering from Accel World bathroom-quantum fluctuations. There's also a Yuu Kobayashi character I guess.

I was gonna watch Aura but the animation and character design looks so boring that I genuinely couldn't recognize the protagonist when he was put aside two similar people.

Also the topic of bullying/trying to be popular is something that stings for me as I was that kid doing early high school. The geek trying to fit in, doing shit I was ashamed of (I got bullied in junior high though, not high school).

How bad is the bullying Branduil? Enough to make somebody like me cringe at the memories? NO PAPA NO IT'S NOT GOOFY TIME.

Hmm I'm not sure how to rate that. There's a little bit of actual physical bullying, but most of it is more psychological. I guess I'd say it's a... moderate amount of bullying?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh god. I'm dying you have no idea. I'm fucking crying at the thought of the author for the novel.

Author: I need to make a popular novel so this gets picked up for an anime. But so far it's just about kids having fun in the summer....hmmmmm......

Ctrl+A

Ctrl+C

Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V Ctrl+V

Critics are calling Haruhi: Endless Eight the biggest novel of the season

"I didn't think he'd do it again. But then he did. Holy shit. My mind is blown"- Andrew Sarris

"The deconstruction of the sci fi genre contained within this pages just springs into action as you feel you are there with Haruhi and co. Wow what a novel" -Pauline Kael

"I got paid to review this positively" -Roger Ebert

"His penis is honoring her" - Youtube commenter

You can skip to the end of a book. You can't do that with a live event outside of taking sleeping pills and waking up at the end or inventing time travel.

You'd have to release the book in a manner that doesn't allow the reader to just "fast forward" through the repetitions and short of serializing it, I don't know if there's a way to do it.

Maybe you release seven different covers and explain how there are minor differences in each version and ask the super hardcore to buy them all to find the differences, then release the final version of the book with the ending a month later? I dunno.

Shergal

It's not the kind of overblown bullying you see in other "bullying" media (lol). A good thing it has going for it is that it manages to keep things relatively grounded and even-handed for the standards of this kind of movie, but that's also the reason the climactic scene feels so retarded. It really does undercut a perfectly decent character piece, though not enough that it ruins the whole thing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
nisekoi 12
i liked this episode. maybe i've been trapped with the show too long. maybe shitty shaft rip-offs like sakura trick have increased my appreciation for the real thing. somehow i didn't really care that much that the plot stalled as soon as anything progressed because this was pretty fun.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wait, I was under the impression it was a sequel to the old TV series? If it actually is a reboot then I may just check it out when I've cleared of some stuff from my backlog.

Yeah, I got my wires crossed. It's a sequel.

When you were talking about Aura, I thought you were talking about the 80s mecha and I was confused. Hmm, so it's another Kishi/Romeo Tanaka combination? I think I might watch this.

Though after I/O, I'm not sure I'm ready for more Tanaka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom