• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Is the art really that bad? lol

It won't physically harm your eyes because unlike TV shows, they can afford to put a minimal amount of polish into the layouts and stuff.
But it's still pretty bad anyway.

edit: whoops didn't even realize I wasn't editing the above post OTL

Jarmel

Banned
Man when I first came to this thread I wonder if there was an alternate, branched path where CorvoSol became associated with good things and good shows.

There are no alternate universes where that happens. In the rest, you're associated with produce.

Nobunagun end

Was fun. Manga added to backlog.

Man when I first came to this thread I wonder if there was an alternate, branched path where CorvoSol became associated with good things and good shows.

I don't think :corvo is being associated with inherently bad things. Just things that would elicit a hilarious reaction from you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I thought the "R" stood for "Returns"? I assumed the new anime would be based of the latest manga, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R. I'd love it if it was a reboot though.

Oh yeah, you're right. I feel stupid now.

I'll still probably watch it anyway; I don't think the original series is translated so I can't exactly go back to it for reference even if I want to.

jman2050

nisekoi 12

i liked this episode. maybe i've been trapped with the show too long. maybe shitty shaft rip-offs like sakura trick have increased my appreciation for the real thing. somehow i didn't really care that much that the plot stalled as soon as anything progressed because this was pretty fun.

One of us. One of us.

I take it back. People who liked Endless Eight do indeed have Stockholm Syndrome, but people like me who like Nisekoi have it worse. :(

dumbyugi

Oh yeah, you're right. I feel stupid now.

I'll still probably watch it anyway; I don't think the original series is translated so I can't exactly go back to it for reference even if I want to.

I'm sure the new series will introduce the important characters again anyway. I'm looking foward to it quite a bit so I hope it's not bad.

Articalys

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Rebellion Story

Well, that was certainly... something else.

Mixed emotions for the time being -- gonna need some time to sort things out -- but if nothing else I can also now understand how some people are really, really pissed off at it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Witch Craft Works Episode 12(end)
Honestly? This was for the most part a fun and lighthearted characters, the story isnt great but it still had me interested in the world, so im gonna read the manga, the characters I honestly really liked, I first thought it was gonna be a harem, thank god it wasent.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
magi s2 25
LffNMyW.jpg

the entire world is about to be destroyed but at least i found this cat
the action was all terrible because everyone turned into super heroes, but this finale at least saw a few major characters to the end of their arc in an appropriately emotional and conclusive fashion. visually it kind of lacked major moments to really tie everything together, but i guess i stopped expecting that.

NeonZ

Speaking of which, is there ANYONE here who managed to make it to the end of Saint Seiya Omega? It should be finished or about to finish and apparently Toei has decided not to continue with more seasons, but it was apparently sub Doki-tier by all accounts and I'd like to know if there was actually anyone who had the willpower to see it through.

I actually enjoyed a lot of the stuff they did in the second season, like attempting to focus on the entire army, rather than just the 6 protagonists. The main issue is that Umakoshi didn't return, so the show lost pretty much its only stand out animation team, even if he never worked that much in the show in the first place. Also, after a new main director was added in the second half of season 2 (supposedly co-working with season 2's original main director), it kind of seemed like the staff completely lost interest in the protagonists.

It resulted in a situation where people like Integra, Paradox, Harbinger, Fudou, Seiya, Subaru and even Emma all got episodes with decent to great development focused on them, with battles built around their background and personality, but the nominal protagonists, the ones taking out the most important villains, became completely bland, just giving generic speeches about friendship (without tying in into any specific events)... while beating the strongest villains in really unsatisfying ways.

The protagonists got super special "Omega" cloths that were supposed to be better than any other one, but, aside from Kouga, each Saint only used one special technique through all the episodes they were wearing them. And I mean that they only used a technique while wearing them once not that they kept using the same attack over and over again. It's just weird, they weren't pushed to the sidelines in spite of the team handling the anime losing their interest in them, they still kept trying to make them look like the protagonists, but they did little with their characters. It ends up resulting in a situation where you've got these now uncharismatic characters seemingly unfairly gaining power over the characters who actually got episodes dedicated to them in the final part of the series.

For what's worth, the final episode was decently executed, both in animation and script, and they executed the friendship stuff there better than in previous episodes, because they at least attempted to tie it with past events, rather than just generic speeches, but, it doesn't really make up for everything that came before, and it still was just a better execution of a bad idea.

Symphogear 4-9

I'm not sure how much more I can take. Its just so incredibly average and ok that it has no memorable feature outside of Tsubasa bleeding from her eyeballs. Its just so boring.

Almost forgot. The intro song is all right I guess.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Rebellion
Story

Well, that was certainly... something else.

Mixed emotions for the time being -- gonna need some time to sort things out -- but if nothing else I can also now understand how some people are really, really pissed off at it.

Personally loved the ending but yeah I can see how people can be pissed off at it.
Keeping in mind what Homura went through and her conversation with Madoka in the film it made sense.

Articalys

Madoka Rebellion (again)

So after I tracked down and read the Shinbo and Urobuchi interview translations, I think I understand things a bit more. It's still going to be on my mind for a while, but I'm confident enough now to say that I overall liked the movie, even taking everything into account.

Some stuff:

First, a general comment:
I had known going in about Devil Homura (from promotional material for the BD) and that Nagisa was Bebe/Charlotte (not actually spoiled for me, but something that should have been painfully obvious to most), though nothing about their actual roles in the story, which was nice to discover. Especially since I'd also heard stuff about Homura becoming a witch, but I'd assumed it had to do with her devil form -- so when she did go witch normally, since I wasn't paying attention to the running time, I figured I must have heard some stuff wrong, making that final swerve and her actual devil transformation a surprise still.

And now a few specifics, in vaguely faux-chronological-reaction order:

THAT FULL TEAM HOLY QUINTET TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE

As if it wasn't possible to hate Kyubey even more...

THE ENTIRE BATTLE WITH WITCH HOMURA
EVERYTHING ABOUT IT
ULTRA-BADASS SAYAKA WIELDING THE POWER OF OKTAVIA LIKE A GODDAMN STAND
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That Kyubey destruction in the rain of arrows was so satisfying

So this is what enraged a good chunk of the audience.

And finally, firehawk12 mentioned earlier about how
Urobuchi originally wanted a happy ending until Shinbo and one of the producers pushed him into the more open ending
. Again, while I can understand,
I do fall into the group that's not particularly thrilled with it, though not to the point of anger. More just disappointed, I suppose

Macross 7 16

This is continuing to entertain. Some of it is so Kawamori that I can't help but like it. Corvo seems to hate Basara, but he's making the show for me. There's something about the self-absorbed artist and the way he acts like an ass that amuses me.
I think he might be the best Macross protagonist.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Angel Beats! 2

Man this setting is dumb. I guess I can only hope that stuff gets explained a little more beyond just their words but right now it just seems so...off. Like
why the fuck are they even still wasting their time trying to kill Tenshi? It really seems like a fool's errand. Everything that's been established is that you can't kill her or really do any harm to her. No matter what you do, it's a delay tactic. And, maybe I missed it, but is there really any confirmation of obliteration or successfully leaving actually being possible? Are they fighting for a wild goose chase? Because right now it seems like their best is nothing but shooting spitballs at a battleship. And they way they so in such an earnest manner with all their little toys that do nothing is so...odd to me.
Idk, maybe it will get explained, we'll see.

wonzo

Banned
GBF 23-24

While Episode 23 was everything I love about this series distilled into one episode with the enthusiasm and joy that comes from making and battling tiny mecha, 24 was everything wrong about due to indulgence in the stupidity of taking toys so seriously to the point of cheating and putting kids lives at risk. And don't even get me started on Build Knuckle… ugh.

Looks like the last episode will have
BEARGUY III
tho so all is redeemed!

GBF 23-24

While Episode 23 was everything I love about this series distilled into one episode with the enthusiasm and joy that comes from making and battling tiny mecha, 24 was everything wrong about due to indulgence in the stupidity of taking toys so seriously to the point of cheating and putting kids lives at risk. And don't even get me started on Build Knuckle… ugh.

Yeah. GBF is a strange testament to how writers can get so much right, and then undermine all the good work they've done by putting in needless bullshit to create drama when they've already established something far more interesting.

fertygo

Yeah. GBF is a strange testament to how writers can get so much right, and then undermine all the good work they've done by putting in needless bullshit to create drama when they've already established something far more interesting.

At first I was like "ugh" too, but I thought the payoff is incredible.. so much intensity at the 2nd half, so I think its not useless.

Angel Beats! 2

Man this setting is dumb. I guess I can only hope that stuff gets explained a little more beyond just their words but right now it just seems so...off. Like
why the fuck are they even still wasting their time trying to kill Tenshi? It really seems like a fool's errand. Everything that's been established is that you can't kill her or really do any harm to her. No matter what you do, it's a delay tactic. And, maybe I missed it, but is there really any confirmation of obliteration or successfully leaving actually being possible? Are they fighting for a wild goose chase? Because right now it seems like their best is nothing but shooting spitballs at a battleship. And they way they so in such an earnest manner with all their little toys that do nothing is so...odd to me.
Idk, maybe it will get explained, we'll see.

It's explained. Don't worry.

As for what obliteration is... watch the next episode.

But it's been established that they
are trying to avoid being obliterated. Hence why they are fighting Angel. She wants them to move on but everyone in Battlefront and had "unfair" lives. So they want to find "God" for various reasons but mostly to find answers for why their previous lives were the way they were. If Angel catches them they are afraid she will obliterate them
. Hope that clears up some stuff. Some episodes have scenes after the ED. So make sure to stay and watch those as some of them are quite important.

At first I was like "ugh" too, but I thought the payoff is incredible.. so much intensity at the 2nd half, so I think its not useless.

They fucked up. They spent the entire series building up to that fight, all they had to do was play it straight and give it to us. Instead they added stupid drama and cheating and gave us what was a pretty underwhelming battle that I immediately lost my investment in because of how they handled it. I felt cheated after watching that episode.

Theonik

His penis is honoring her.
Standing in attention is considered a sign of respect!

RIP Makoto's puchi, you're cuteness will be your downfall as you'll be smothered to death by your overloving owner.
Makoto is love so it's only natural that this would happen.

I'll have no internet when JoJo airs :(
Do you have fax?

Sekai Seifuku 12-
This was without a doubt, the stupidest thing I've seen all season. Without a fucking doubt.

My mind is full of fucks and wuts. I lost some brain cells with this.
Conquest of Jarmel: Underway.

wonzo

Banned
Nandaka Velonica 6

Not only did this do the vacuum cleaner love story before Space Dandy but it did it better too.

They fucked up. They spent the entire series building up to that fight, all they had to do was play it straight and give it to us. Instead they added stupid drama and cheating and gave us what was a pretty underwhelming battle that I immediately lost my investment in because of how they handled it. I felt cheated after watching that episode.
Yeah, I wanted something that'd top episode 6 (or was that 5? idk) and this sure as hell wasn't it. :(

fertygo

Underwhelming? certainly not for me the climax is insane and production value goes through the roof.. and the way its ended was great. Even let say the plot is at fault here, the execution is still great.. and I don't think there's to point out aside that.

The main complaint of the sub-plot is not making device for good fight at all, so if I'm satisfied with the fight.. there's nothing to complaint, its also an excuse to give us better color palette for Amazing Exia.

Btw its also their 3rd fight, Its not my preferred scenario but I certainly not have issue they try to playing thing differently.. if not its just redux for their previous fight. The build-up is exactly same as eps 6 fight and also the spirit if they do that. So I think even if eps 24 disappoint me, I can't say I'll feel that negative because I'm already seeing that fight before.
Do you have fax?

Do they still sell that thing?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Air 3

Definitely feeling like much more a KEY show than Angel Beats.

Having spent the first two episodes largely getting introduced to the cast and even more so to main girl Misuzu, it's time to get started on our first arc:
Kano

Being pretty vague on information, but I guess that's to be expected.

God, I hate this little red-haired twintail girl.

Dang, that's one way to end on a cliff hanger.

Started FMA again to help me go to sleep 3 hours ago. Still awake. Probably not the best decision I've ever made. It's now almost 4am on the west coast....

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Log Horizon 01

This might be the most ridiculously awful/awesome OP I have ever seen in anime. Episode was okay. I think I'll enjoy this more than SAO but that bar isn't even off the ground.

cajunator

Banned
bodacious space pirates > star trek OG.

So true. And thats being a star trek fan too.

HappinessCharge Precure 9

THAT WALK OFF FROM
CURE RHYTHM
. Toei still bros

txFuXkm.gif

Clearly I'm the best girl in town. Madp, Hito and Nafe have some challengers, but Nafe hasn't even pulled out the guns yet!

I mean lets think about it.
I made General Specific/DIO fall for me, and getting Hoshiiwa to sing with me next week
. Shit, I sing about FOOD! How fitting! Lets take it another step
IM ALREADY A CURE BABY! AND THEY DON'T KNOW THAT IT IS I, KIRBYAYOI

NEXT TIME: International Cures aren't a one off, KirbYayoi continues the best girl streak.... and QUALITY

Hapcha looks so cute. I will have to get back into it before I fall way behind again.

Cat Soup

My mind is fucked.

This is a Corvo anime if I've ever seen one.

Oh man. cat Soup is a special kind of fucked up but somehow it kind of makes sense!

Log Horizon 01

This might be the most ridiculously awful/awesome OP I have ever seen in anime. Episode was okay. I think I'll enjoy this more than SAO but that bar isn't even off the ground.

that goddamned OP will never leave. Its definitely a way better show than SAO.

cnet128

Banned
Nisekoi 3

I already have this ending pegged.

Nisekoi 7

I see the seeds being planted for this shows eventual end.

"Nisekoi"..."end"...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Tokyo Ravens 24

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET,
Hishamaru is so gorgeous!

Nononononono. Kon is so gorgeous.
Hishamaru is admittedly cool but nonetheless an abomination who needs to go the fuck away so we can have real Kon back.

tokyo ravens worth catching up?

stopped around... 14 or so?

Yes.

lol i actually kinda enjoyed the romcom yet serious stuff was just way over my head :X

This was me. This was exactly me. But the final arc actually managed to make the action/serious stuff finally feel (mostly) comprehensible and worthwhile, while also providing some pretty satisfying development on the relationship front.

do the protags ever get anything done or is it just the baller old dudes?

They get stuff done.

Please tell me the LN's or the novels or w/e the show is based on did it just as bad. If not the little amount of respect I still hold for KyoAni continues to dwindle down if they seriously thought it was cool to do like 7/8 episodes of this bull.

Nope, the trolling here is entirely KyoAni's doing. In the original novel it was a single short story that only covered a single loop. So for people who had read (or were spoiled on) the novel events, it was actually extra trollworthy, since we initially expected Endless Eight to be just one episode and spent the whole of the first episode expecting someone to notice that there was a loop going on, only for it to play out as an ordinary slice-of-life episode where nothing was amiss.

So we were all like "oh, that's kind of fun I guess, they're going to make it a two-parter." And indeed, in the second episode everything played out exactly the same as in the book, with the gang finding out about the loop partway in and then lots of drama about escaping. Right up to the final moment where they didn't manage. That was when we started laughing/crying ourselves to sleep.

I actually enjoyed Endless Eight in the end as an experience, because the direction in some of the episodes was really cool - there was one that played it really heavy with Kyon's sense of deja vu, some that included some weird imagery, and as I recall one where all the VAs were overacting. But yeah, at the end of the day it was a massive troll and I wouldn't ask anyone to watch more than episodes 1, 2 and 8 if they didn't want to.

As for why they did it, I did a post a while back illustrating how I suspect that happened.

How would you not know what was going to happen after 2 or 3 episodes? The Eight in the title is a dead giveaway.

Well, the arc was called Endless Eight in the original novels as well, but only one loop was shown there. So people assumed the "eight" was just a reference to the month, not the episode count. Plus it just seemed insane that they would actually drag it out for that long. Once they got to five or six loops, then I think everyone was pretty much resigned to the fact that yeah, it was probably going to be eight.

I wish I was a fan of One Piece since every bloody thing in Japan is One Piece branded.

It's never too late to start =D

Gbraga

Nononononono. Kon is so gorgeous.
Hishamaru is admittedly cool but nonetheless an abomination who needs to go the fuck away so we can have real Kon back.

I just want to see
Bakatora touching her tail again, this might be really interestnig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom