• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Tonari no Seki-kun 13

I love the robot family so much. EVERYONE LOVES SCRAMBLED EGGS. I liked how this episode was mostly Yokoi playing by herself. Even though it was a short gag series, it made it feel like it ended in a slightly different place than it started.

This was a fun show that, like Pupipo, was a pleasant surprise. Very charming, very funny, and some surprisingly good music (the ED is great, and Danran Robot Kazoku is the greatest).

Backlog Winter season is now officially over! I am ready for spring! Come on! Bring it!

Is it Jojo time yet.

I'm not actually watching Toriko, but I can only assume that a.) the finale looked like shit, b.) it deviated from the source material in a poor way or c.) had a total non-ending altogether. Possibly all three.

Speaking of which, is there ANYONE here who managed to make it to the end of Saint Seiya Omega? It should be finished or about to finish and apparently Toei has decided not to continue with more seasons, but it was apparently sub Doki-tier by all accounts and I'd like to know if there was actually anyone who had the willpower to see it through.

I think DTL might have suffered through the whole thing.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Tonari no Seki-kun 13 END (?)

This was a cute, fun, little ride. It exuded a very Calvin & Hobbes-like atmosphere the whole time for me. Not the greatest in terms of comedy per-say, with Yokoi explaining every little thing, but the situations that were going on were hilarious and it was a thoroughly enjoyable ride.

Is there gonna be more? The minor change in the OP thinks yeah.

Instro

Speaking of which, is there ANYONE here who managed to make it to the end of Saint Seiya Omega? It should be finished or about to finish and apparently Toei has decided not to continue with more seasons, but it was apparently sub Doki-tier by all accounts and I'd like to know if there was actually anyone who had the willpower to see it through.

I quit after the end of the Mars saga and the intro to ugly blue metal kid. Show sucked for the most part anyway, such a disappointment.

KumaJG

Whats the deal. Not following the manga with its ending or something?

Censorship for one. Toriko is a manga is very violent for a shounen(people constantly getting limbs and hole in their chest). The anime did not have none of that. Then Toei butched the biggest event in Toriko (think One Piece Marineford BIG) by going the complete opposite of the manga.

On a happier note, I like Eden of the East, interesting anime.

cajunator

Banned
Censorship for one. Toriko is a manga is very violent for a shounen(people constantly getting limbs and hole in their chest). The anime did not have none of that. Then Toei butched the biggest event in Toriko (think One Piece Marineford BIG) by going the complete opposite of the manga.

Eden of the east is pretty cool at times.

Instro

Would you mind going into a little more detail, spoilers are fine I'm just curious. I've watched the anime, I'll probably read the manga instead now instead of being lazy.

wonzo

Banned
No but I was actually interested in the Sumo thing that was replacing it until I learned it had basically the same staff working on it. rip

Jarmel

Banned
Sekai Seifuku 12-
ibwTmYw6NjBZXT.jpg
This was without a doubt, the stupidest thing I've seen all season. Without a fucking doubt.

My mind is full of fucks and wuts. I lost some brain cells with this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
No but I was actually interested in the Sumo thing that was replacing it until I learn't it had basically the same staff working on it. rip

There's always Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R if you're feeling Toei-curious next season. It's basically a reboot of a 90s detective anime that ran for like three years.

Nisekoi 7

I actually didn't expect this kind of episode to be honest. Quite a little action mixed in with the usual comedy of the show. I knew from the start that
Tsugumi was a girl. There were to many lines of them emphasizing the sex that I knew that was going for the "oh she's actually a girl" route.
Cliche but it was done well. And she is also pretty cute.

All in all I see the seeds being planted for this shows eventual end. As long as it's not a cop out I think this show will actually be a pretty great RomCom. Good characters, set up and jokes. I like it at this point as much as I enjoyed watching Toradora. Every episode so far has been fun. If it can deliver a decent ending it'll have that one up on Toradora.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember buying P4 Golden from Amazon JP for, like, $40 when the JP version was still at $60 or so. I felt like I stole something :lol
This used to be the case for me too, when the Canadian dollar wasn't junk. Thankfully the book and movie industry is competitive, but games went up 10 bucks across the board so there's less reason to play new games now.

Jintor

Toradora's ending is probably the one major flaw I have for the show that really really drags it down for me. It's just so... ugh. Way to collapse right at the finish line. Thankfully it wasn't irrecoverable, but still

CorvoSol

Really? What do you think of Gundam Wing then?

Wing has the best mechanical designs in the entire franchise. There's a reason the Wing Zero and Epyon are insanely popular. Heero Yuy is worth it just for being the bridge between Chirico and Sousuke, and a sorta sarcastic dick. Zechs does Char's Counter Attack infinitely better than Char's Counter Attack did. Wu Fei is an insufferable bastard. The English dub is the only correct way to enjoy Wing.

I'm kinda split on Wing. On the one hand, it's really derivative of UC, although not nearly as much as SEED, but on the other hand it was my very first Gundam show and I continue to maintain that it is an excellent show for people to start Gundam on specifically because it condenses so much of UC and yet still manages to make it its own thing (whereas SEED is pretty much exactly MSG right up until Kira gets the Freedom. At the which point it's still pretty darn MSG, but not exactly the same.)

zeroshiki

Wing has the best mechanical designs in the entire franchise. There's a reason the Wing Zero and Epyon are insanely popular. Heero Yuy is worth it just for being the bridge between Chirico and Sousuke, and a sorta sarcastic dick. Zechs does Char's Counter Attack infinitely better than Char's Counter Attack did. Wu Fei is an insufferable bastard. The English dub is the only correct way to enjoy Wing.

I'm kinda split on Wing. On the one hand, it's really derivative of UC, although not nearly as much as SEED, but on the other hand it was my very first Gundam show and I continue to maintain that it is an excellent show for people to start Gundam on specifically because it condenses so much of UC and yet still manages to make it its own thing (whereas SEED is pretty much exactly MSG right up until Kira gets the Freedom. At the which point it's still pretty darn MSG, but not exactly the same.)

The secret evil organization being controlled by the secret evil organization being controlled by the secret evil organization thing grew old really quick.

Toradora's ending is probably the one major flaw I have for the show that really really drags it down for me. It's just so... ugh. Way to collapse right at the finish line. Thankfully it wasn't irrecoverable, but still

I don't hold it against the other great 24 episodes, but the way it flubbed at the finish line was pretty bad. Still kind of irks me only because everything else was so well done.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I don't hold it against the other great 24 episodes, but the way it flubbed at the finish line was pretty bad. Still kind of irks me only because everything else was so well done.

Now imagine the ending spread across an entire 24 episode series and that precisely explains how I felt about Golden Time. :(

jman2050

I can't say I really had a problem with Toradora's ending, or that may just be me subconsciously substituting the novel's version for what the anime did.

Also Relina single-handedly drags down Gundam Wing.

Now imagine the ending spread across an entire 24 episode series and that precisely explains how I felt about Golden Time. :(

I've only watched 3 episodes of Golden Time so far. So I am not able to really argue any points yet other than the first 3 episodes showed a lot of promise and was fun. Plus I like the fact that for once there's a RomCom that doesn't take place in High School. Other then that I can't really comment on anything else.

Gazoinks

Mushishi 13

Well that was profoundly depressing!

I like the episodes like this one and the depressing suicide one where Ginko fails. It makes him feel much more like a human than a lot of the protags of this kind of show.

I've only watched 3 episodes of Golden Time so far. So I am not able to really argue any points yet other than the first 3 episodes showed a lot of promise and was fun. Plus I like the fact that for once there's a RomCom that doesn't take place in High School. Other then that I can't really comment on anything else.

Watch Nodame Cantabile! It takes place in a music college!

I didn't watch all of Golden Time, but it definitely suffers from romance syndrome where it desperately flails around kicking up drama wherever it can to extend the series. Which is a shame, because I liked parts of the show, but it got too much for me.

Jarmel

Banned
I also didn't have much of a problem with Toradora's ending. I'm fine with drama if it's at the climax of an arc/show and it's not overbearing.

Jintor

I can't say I really had a problem with Toradora's ending, or that may just be me subconsciously substituting the novel's version for what the anime did.

I just think the
disappearing thing, however long it is,
comes as such a huge swerve, even though it makes thematic and characteristic sense, it feels like it completely throws off the... momentum? pacing? of that final stretch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, I liked the opening episodes too.

Hmmm. That's interesting. Then I was probably a good thing that it was my first Gundam and that I did indeed watch it dubbed. Ha!

I might be able to stand Wing if Relena didn't talk so god damn much.

That she does. Good thing the fights are a good distraction from her. I am going to have to watch more G Gundam but so far Wing's fights are still some of my favorite mech fights.

jman2050

I just think the
comes as such a huge swerve, even though it makes thematic and characteristic sense, it feels like it completely throws off the... momentum? pacing? of that final stretch.

Well I mean, the
kissing/fake marriage scene is essentially the climatic resolution of the entire story.
From that point you're winding things down.

It's certainly not a perfect ending, that's for sure.

CorvoSol

The secret evil organization being controlled by the secret evil organization being controlled by the secret evil organization thing grew old really quick.

Hahaha, fair enough, but Wing had some cool moments, too, like Treize standing their in the TGII as King of Earth to challenge Zechs' Epyon, or Quattre freaking out under the control of what was basically Venom if Venom wasn't a crap 90s villain and was instead a Gundam.

I might be able to stand Wing if Relena didn't talk so god damn much.

I used to hate Relena. Then I experienced the likes of Beltorchika Irma, Reccoa Londe, Sarah Zabiarov, Quess Paraya, Katejina Loos, Shakti, Princess Marina Ismail, Nena Trinity, Stella Lousier, Gerardo Spriggan and whoever Nena's replacement was in the movie. Relena is chump change compared to those women.

Flip side is Wing gives us Noin and Une. And Sally Po. I guess. I dunno what her deal ever was.

Again, Relena wasn't great by any means, but relatively speaking she's nowhere near the worst woman in Gundam.

jman2050

Again, Relena wasn't great by any means, but relatively speaking she's nowhere near the worst woman in Gundam.

Hey if I were actually a Gundam fan (G Gundam is the best Gundam precisely because it isn't really a Gundam series) I'd give Relena the benefit of being graded on a curve, but as is, I'm just calling it like I see it.

Watch Nodame Cantabile! It takes place in a music college!

I didn't watch all of Golden Time, but it definitely suffers from romance syndrome where it desperately flails around kicking up drama wherever it can to extend the series. Which is a shame, because I liked parts of the show, but it got too much for me.

So many anime recommendations this week. My goodness....

I just think the

Basically this. I understood why she did it but it didn't help that it happened in the last 7 minutes of the show. It was on track and at the end it fell off the track. To put it in sports terms, it was like me watching my Patriots having their perfect season only to lose at the Super Bowl. They did fantastic all season and I won't forget it, but I didn't like the end result.

Oh, I liked the opening episodes too.

Oh boy...

CorvoSol

I am going to have to watch more G Gundam but so far Wing's fights are still some of my favorite mech fights.

Just remember that where Wing's fights are flashy war machines going to town on one another, G's fights are martial arts matches. Sort of. Also that G is Wing's predecessor, so Wing has the benefit of learning from G in some areas.

Hey if I were actually a Gundam fan (G Gundam is the best Gundam precisely because it isn't really a Gundam series) I'd give Relena the benefit of being graded on a curve, but as is, I'm just calling it like I see it.

I'm not saying Relena isn't like, the worst girl in Wing, just that after seeing how bad Gundam girls can really be, Relena's a pretty low-tier drag. PLUS she has that one good moment in the movie.

Well I mean, the
kissing/fake marriage scene is essentially the climatic resolution of the entire story.
From that point you're winding things down.

It's certainly not a perfect ending, that's for sure.

And that's the problem in a nutshell. It was supposed to be winding down/ having it's falling action at that moment. Problem was after that scene the author threw in that twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom