• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

image.php
image.php
image.php

Narag

Record of Lodoss War 2

Never really liked this ep too much. Lots of Parn & Etoh (who suck) . Everything is on point except for the art which is really inconsistent, especially compared to that first episode. It gets better, of course, but this one is always a bummer to sit through.

Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou (the sumo anime) CM

Not much animation but at least the art is fairly pleasing.

No but I was actually interested in the Sumo thing that was replacing it until I learned it had basically the same staff working on it. rip

Completely wrong (besides Toei, of course). The staff is:

Series Director: Yukio Kaizawa (Digimon Tamers)
Series Composition: Akatsuki Yamatoya (Gintama)
Character Design: Noboru Koizumi (One Piece)
Art Director: Shinzo Yuki (Ojamajo Doremi)
Animation Production: Toei Animation

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters 25 FIN

Everything I could have asked for and more. So many wonderful homages making me feel like I was a damn kid again.

===

10/10 series, probably the best thing to come out of this franchise alongside 0080 and Turn A, something everyone should check out etc.

Nordicus

RahXephon 8

Oh, oh my. This episode definitely could have potentially ended on a tragic note, and it's a Christmas episode no less! I'm a sucker for monsters that bring out the dark sides in individual characters, though it might've been purely coincidental in this case.

I like how this show puts an emphasis on exploring all the different main/side characters and their relationships, even if the web of romances looks to be so complicated that it's getting to School Rumble levels of love chart.

Mature

Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou (the sumo anime) CM

Not much animation but at least the art is fairly pleasing.

Completely wrong (besides Toei, of course). The staff is:

Series Director: Yukio Kaizawa (Digimon Tamers)
Series Composition: Akatsuki Yamatoya (Gintama)
Character Design: Noboru Koizumi (One Piece)
Art Director: Shinzo Yuki (Ojamajo Doremi)
Animation Production: Toei Animation
Wow, this looks pretty interesting. Especially the design. Guess I'll be checking out quite a few sports anime this coming season.

Dynedom

RahXephon 8

Oh, oh my. This episode definitely could have potentially ended on a tragic note, and it's a Christmas episode no less! I'm a sucker for monsters that bring out the dark sides in individual characters, though it might've been purely coincidental in this case.

I like how this show puts an emphasis on exploring all the different main/side characters and their relationships, even if the web of romances looks to be so complicated that it's getting to School Rumble levels of love chart.

This is seriously making me want to do a re-watch of Rah. I haven't watched it in a while.

Wizard Barristers 12
Well I got my Ace Attorney ending. Pretty solid turnabout. Moyo has gotten much stranger since she was revealed to be Lucifer

Mononoke

Banned
Despite my negative feelings about Toradora's final episode, I STARTED IT ALL OVER AGAIN. lol I've told you guys before, but I have no one in my life I can talk to about Anime. You guys have been so amazing, and so kind. I really have had so much guidance and help from you guys. I really am forever thankful. I however, recently have been trying to get my family into Anime as well. So slowly, I've been showing TV series. My family thought Toradora sounded great after I ranted and raved about it. And sure enough, they were hooked by episode 1. We watched 11 episodes yesterday alone!

I think this is a really good show to introduce to them, because of the humor and style. They've really been enjoying it. So it's really cool to get my family more into something I care about. Just because it's nice to have people in real life too, that you can share this stuff with.

Anyways, sorry for ranting. Was just kind of excited. I actually stared Clannad too. But had to stop 6 episodes in, because my family wants to finish Toradora. I'm trying to spend time with them too, because I'm leaving for Japan in just 5 days.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Pilot's Love Song
dlQdQZsl.jpg

:Kanna

IZaRtvCl.jpg

Hey look, a dog fight. lol

That ending was something else. They conclude with a final infodump that really does nothing to answer any questions. If anything, unless there are more books or something, one wonders why they even bothered to have this reveal in the first place. In fact, it probably only makes sense if there's more books to sell.

Still, so many problems are just swept under the rug to get the characters to where they are. For one, the whole idea of class seems to have just gone out the window, as all the asshole classmates from the early part of the show are just gone. The whole resolution of the pseudo-dual Superman love triangle felt a bit unearned as well. I appreciate the sentiment of forgiveness, but he just goes from catatonic to essentially leading a war against the people who were about to destroy them in a matter of two episodes. It just becomes silly.

And I probably missed this, but I don't even know the point of the original rebellion in the first place.

I dunno, I feel like there were bits and pieces here that were interesting. At the very least it didn't drag people along like a lot of SyFy bullshit shounen series out there, nor did it pull some twist out of its ass Gargantia-style. But all the pieces never really felt like they came together into a cohesive piece, leading to a show that felt disconnected at best.

I quite enjoyed the atmosphere of the movie at least, and I think it just goes to show that sometimes less is more when it comes to science fiction world building.

---

Buddy Complex
mCy44zll.jpg

lol

So I'll admit that this is a scrub show to me, mostly because the actual show is kind of terrible but I was enticed by the original Terminator premise. And I will say, I wasn't disappointed with the reveal at the of this episode and how they resolved that entire time travel arc, even if you suddenly have a weird grandfather paradox that inexplicably hasn't resolved itself.

Assuming that time travel does not resort to different dimensions or whatever, then Aoba should have disappeared when the cycle was broken
. Then there's the final twist which makes doubly less sense, considering the entire events of the series, but I guess they needed a VVV-style dumb cliffhanger to keep things exciting for the next cour.

But now that the whole mystery of the first episode is over, I think I'm done with the show. Beyond the very thick yaoi goggles you need to wear, there's just not that much in this show that makes it anything other than a generic mecha show. It doesn't even have the stupidity of VVV, for the most part, and with the initial premise of a time travelling dude being forced to become a mech pilot gone, it is really nothing more than just another show about two generic factions of humans killing each other in flying robots.

Madao

Speaking of which, is there ANYONE here who managed to make it to the end of Saint Seiya Omega? It should be finished or about to finish and apparently Toei has decided not to continue with more seasons, but it was apparently sub Doki-tier by all accounts and I'd like to know if there was actually anyone who had the willpower to see it through.

i need a badge because i made it to the end. i watched weekly since it began.

but then, i never drop a show. that's why i'm reluctant to start watching new ones since i know i'll have to watch until the end. i watched SSO because i had watched all the old series and it was one of the big series of my childhood.

Gbraga

Despite my negative feelings about Toradora's final episode, I STARTED IT ALL OVER AGAIN. lol I've told you guys before, but I have no one in my life I can talk to about Anime. You guys have been so amazing, and so kind. I really have had so much guidance and help from you guys. I really am forever thankful. I however, recently have been trying to get my family into Anime as well. So slowly, I've been showing TV series. My family thought Toradora sounded great after I ranted and raved about it. And sure enough, they were hooked by episode 1. We watched 11 episodes yesterday alone!

I think this is a really good show to introduce to them, because of the humor and style. They've really been enjoying it. So it's really cool to get my family more into something I care about. Just because it's nice to have people in real life too, that you can share this stuff with.

Anyways, sorry for ranting. Was just kind of excited. I actually stared Clannad too. But had to stop 6 episodes in, because my family wants to finish Toradora. I'm trying to spend time with them too, because I'm leaving for Japan in just 5 days.

awwww, I love you too.

phaze

[B
Also, there are some really awesome action sequences. If I were a gifmaker, I'd share some with you.

If I had to find issue with this film over the others, I'd complain that the fifth film was a confusing mess and I didn't know what was going on so I didn't care about anything. But I'd have to be an idiot to actually get that lost. This movie is on an entirely different level compared to the ones that come before it.

I'd say it's worth a shot if you loved Fate/Zero. I found 1-3 (especially 2) to be grating because of the ridiculous setting-related Nasubabble, but they all have the same sense of a hidden world of magic inside modern society and some pretty sweet action. Of course, you could just skip to 5 and save time.

In my own opinion, this is honestly not a very good idea. I did that and was massively disappointed. It looks nice, but the writing is not good. Especially if you're expecting characters nearly as good as F/Z. That being said, a lot of people seem to like them more than I did, so it's probably worth giving them a go.

Still need to watch the fifth movie though!

I'm a bit late to the party. But I feel like I need to add my opinion here:

Personally I [Ulove[/U] Fate Zero, easily among my top 10 anime.The Kara No Kyoukai movies are good, but they're nowhere near that level. As far as my understanding goes, KnK is one of, if not the, earliest works of Type Moon. This means some of the writing is left ambiguous. In fact I'd say this work shares a universe/similarity with another type moon work, the one with the kid in the glasses and the vampires as it shares the same knife mechanics.

Getting back to point though, this is Ufotable so if you liked Fate Zero due to its gloomy noir feeling at points, these movies have that entirely. If you liked the grimdark setting, then this also has a feeling such as that. If you liked the great characters, then this might not be your fit.

See Kara no Kyokai in the long-run is a very bizarre love story that sees little development on screen. Each movie basically has a one or two central plots that are specified for that film. Then the main characters each go to do their share of the job. For the most part they work together but for long stretches it might be them working with/against one of the movie's new characters. Then a bunch of confirmations/affirmations that the two leads are indeed very close.

I really like the films but I'm an Ufotable fanboy and really love the Type Moon works, flaws and all. Fate Zero is the best type moon property because it doesn't decide to get brought down by anime character tropes which other type moon works have (tsundere, brother complex borderlining on incest, loli, harem-esque settings, etc...). Kara No Kyokai only really has the tsundere and brother complex aspect, but it was enough to bring it down for me a bit from FZ.

tl;dr watch it if you want, but don't expect anywhere near the same quality as FZ.

Thanks for the answers guys. Much appreciated. I'll keep my expectations in check. I'm a sucker for some quality sakuga moments so even if I won't like it much, there will be that as least.

Fate/Stay Night 1-3

"Girls shouldn't swing weapons around like that." Shirou pls she just saved your life.

Well the protagonist is indeed an annoying prat so far but the rest wasn't so bad. I just hope it won't turn into straight up harem.

Sakura seems surprisingly sane considering her F/Zero persona. (Though I'm not sure if the apparently constant cooking for Shirou can be considered sane.)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Hey Azula, I don't know if you saw, but I replied to you as well (it was at a weird time, like 2AM or something, so maybe you didn't see it).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yamato 2199 1-26:
I had a hard time really getting into this because I'm too much of a hard sci-fi nerd so there were a lot of little things bothering me. There's not much for me to say. It was a very solid show, overall, with a strong cast and writing, but no single thing particularly stood out, except for maybe the quality of the waifus. So on that note, RANKING TIME:

Waifus:
Brown > Alien > NotAlien > Blue > Glasses > Witch > Nurse > Radio

Husbandos:
Hoshina > Sanada > Fraken > Domel > Dessler > Shinohara > Kodai > Shima

Ships:
Brown/Kodai > Brown/Blue > Hoshina/Radio > Kodai/NotAlien > Space-Submarine > Yamato > Dessler/Starsha Glasses/Oldai

People who needed to die, but didn't:
Sanada > NotAlien > Kodai > Dessler 2 > Dessler 1

Bullshit:
Resupply > Domel Jobbing > Ending > Sanada surviving > Dessler pulling a Lelouch three times > ZA WARUDO > Iscandar in general > Ace human pilots > Okita's masterful strategy of "charge forward"

Matsumoto™ Women:
Okita's daughter > Alien > NotAlien > AlienSis > DeadAlien

That is all.

Branduil

Thanks for the answers guys. Much appreciated. I'll keep my expectations in check. I'm a sucker for some quality sakuga moments so even if I won't like it much, there will be that as least.

Fate/Stay Night 1-3

"Girls shouldn't swing weapons around like that." Shirou pls she just saved your life.

Well the protagonist is indeed an annoying prat so far but the rest wasn't so bad. I just hope it won't turn into straight up harem.

Sakura seems surprisingly sane considering her F/Zero persona. (Though I'm not sure if the apparently constant cooking for Shirou can be considered sane.)

Why not just wait for the Ufotable version?

Awww. We love you too Azula.

Been thinking of doing the same with my family but they don't have a BD player for some reason and most of my anime is on BD so that sucks. But I have a bunch of friends, cousins, nephews and other siblings that love anime. So I am in pretty good company. Nice to hear you somewhat started Clannad. Looking forward to see what you think about the show once you reach After Story's end. But you've gotten farther then both Branduil and Corvo so far. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yamato 2199 1-26:
I had a hard time really getting into this because I'm too much of a hard sci-fi nerd so there were a lot of little things bothering me. There's not much for me to say. It was a very solid show, overall, with a strong cast and writing, but no single thing particularly stood out, except for maybe the quality of the waifus. So on that note, RANKING TIME:

Waifus:
Brown > Alien > NotAlien > Blue > Glasses > Witch > Nurse > Radio

Husbandos:
Hoshina > Sanada > Fraken > Domel > Dessler > Shinohara > Kodai > Shima

Ships:
Brown/Kodai > Brown/Blue > Hoshina/Radio > Kodai/NotAlien > Space-Submarine > Yamato > Dessler/Starsha Glasses/Oldai

People who needed to die, but didn't:
Sanada > NotAlien > Kodai > Dessler 2 > Dessler 1

Bullshit:
Resupply > Domel Jobbing > Ending > Sanada surviving > Dessler pulling a Lelouch three times > ZA WARUDO > Iscandar in general > Ace human pilots > Okita's masterful strategy of "charge forward"

Matsumoto™ Women:
Okita's daughter > Alien > NotAlien > AlienSis > DeadAlien

That is all.

Melda > your favourite waifu.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why would you watch FSN at this point?

Might as well and wait to see if ufotable can somehow manage to salvage that garbage and turn it into a good show.

Samurai Flamenco 03-04

I wish Red Axe was a real tokusatsu show. I'd watch the hell out of it. That aside: Flamenco Girl is fun... even if she does get carried away. I don't think Masayoshi's gonna put up with this "arrangement" for too much longer though.

Gbraga

Samurai Flamenco 03-04

I wish Red Axe was a real tokusatsu show. I'd watch the hell out of it. That aside: Flamenco Girl is fun... even if she does get carried away. I don't think Masayoshi's gonna put up with this "arrangement" for too much longer though.

Almost there

The Pilot's Love Song - 13

...In the end they never showed me Fana and that pilot from her army...fucking
"our adventure is just beginning end", they must have more books to adaptsell

(ノºдº)ノ~Claire

Yowamushi Pedal - 25
The FUCK! His ABS have personalities, this is getting dumber than Kuroko no Basket. Out whit this silly "powers", O-xy-gen! is dumb too.

Puchimas!! - 01

It's back! Where's BGBW to gif this?
I have already saw my share of momotarou stories, one more to the list. That's a lot of dogs...

Jex

Yamato 2199 1-26:

Bullshit:
Resupply > Domel Jobbing > Ending > Sanada surviving > Dessler pulling a Lelouch three times > ZA WARUDO > Iscandar in general > Ace human pilots > Okita's masterful strategy of "charge forward".

Heh, sounds like you'd have a hard time with certain things one is expected to accept on their face.

Fate/Stay Night 1-3

Oh geeze why are you watching this? Wait for Ufotable's remake of F/SN.

cnet128

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal 25

So much hard-work-blood-and-tears flashbacks. So much drama. And all this over the first section of the first race in the tournament. This inter-high is going to last quiiiiite a while, isn't it XD

That texting in the post-credits scene was more impressive than anything in the actual episode, though xp

Articalys

Happiness Charge Precure ep.9

Nine episodes and Seiji's still a relevant character! Is there hope in this world after all? On the other hand,
god help them if Honey is relegated to a support role only

To the harem comment= not sure if the anime covers it but in the VN, each path basically nets you a different girl. So it's a harem of sorts, I think anime covers the main/saber's path, but I'm sure they'll have Rin being tsundere ojousama all jealous and shit.

As to Sakura's comment
I don't think they cover her mental state in the anime, just in her route in the VN. Which is incidentally considered the true ending

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Heh, sounds like you'd have a hard time with certain things one is expected to accept on their face.
I accepted the ass in my face, if nothing else.
Melda > your favourite waifu.
Wrong.
Waifu wars in Yamato are pointless considering it has better husbandos than waifus anyway.
Kira Yamato of Yamato, should've Died
generic father figure, got his ship stolen twice
only there so the brown girl can end up with the brown guy and they wouldn't need to deal with mixed babies, DEEEEEEEEEEEEED
fuck this kid, jobber
jobberer, jobberest

He's a hard scifi nerd who doesn't like 2001. :(
I liked the bits of 2001 that were hard scifi. Thematically, it wasn't very hard.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

cajunator

Banned

One of my favorite PVs. <3 Poplar

Shaft needs to do a normal magical girl show
so we can get more of dem transformations

Prism Nana could have been :(

I feel like you really want me to continue Sailor Moon.

He does. Where did you stop?

Hyouka 2

man, that's a bullshit way to end an ep. Really like this though as I can somewhat relate to Oreki. It's early though but I fully appreciate how grounded the show is, gives it a more realistic quality I find most shows to lack.

That was a great scene I will admit!

Step

Welp all of the animes I was watching ended, is there anything currently airing that I should be watching?

I love Slice of life and Magical Girls animes~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom