• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Lagoon OVA
Wow, Rock has become dark and manipulative.
Surprised this ended well for Garcia and his maids. Well as well as it could have ended with multiple fingers and an arm was lost. In the end, Rock's devilish plan failed to bring justice. I liked the theme of regret of one's past in this OVA.

Defuser

The pilot's love song END
RIP Suguha 2.0. When will Ayana Taketatsu ever get a non imouto role that won't get the short of the stick?

Jebus, even in its final episode it's plague with terrible animation.

Love the style five one.
BkEM4M8CYAACO0I.jpg:large

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gundam Build Fighters -fin-

Fuck I'm a mess right now. Best finale of the season by far. Tears were shed from start to finish. So happy that
Aila got her wish.

Legitimately the best Gundam TV series ever made. Honestly nothing is even close. AOTY. Not a doubt in my mind. God I'll miss this show.

CorvoSol

Speaking of Corvo and Cats, have you seen Dark Cat?

Yeah, that's the one where the guy's girlfriend turns into a penis monster and swallows him whole and he's like, high at the time and the entire moment is presented as being very romantic, right? I saw that.

You brought this on yourself, my raven friend

Definitely not blaming anyone for it. I made this bed and I am lying in it of my own choice. Just wondering if I could've used different sheets at one point.

Macross 7 16

This is continuing to entertain. Some of it is so Kawamori that I can't help but like it. Corvo seems to hate Basara, but he's making the show for me. There's something about the self-absorbed artist and the way he acts like an ass that amuses me.
I think he might be the best Macross protagonist.

I mean, if him being a self-absorbed asshole is entertaining to you then we're on the same page with his character, just reading it differently. I'm definitely enjoying Mylene, though, cuz I can sympathize with her putting up with his crap. But I mean, I've hated lots of characters early on and changed my opinion of 'em, so I'm hoping in the next 40 episodes I'll change my opinion of Basara.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Madoka Rebellion (again)
THAT FULL TEAM HOLY QUINTET TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE
Best part!

As if it wasn't possible to hate Kyubey even more...
And finally, firehawk12 mentioned earlier about how
Urobuchi originally wanted a happy ending until Shinbo and one of the producers pushed him into the more open ending
. Again, while I can understand,
I do fall into the group that's not particularly thrilled with it, though not to the point of anger. More just disappointed, I suppose
At least you're not aggravated! lol

Pilot's What Is Love Baby Don't Hurt Me Song 13: End

I was afraid this was gonna happen. After the discussion yesterday of lackluster endings (Toradora) I knew I was going to jinx at least one of the shows that had yet to end of the season.

For the most part this suffered from open ending for Superman and Claire. Everybody else got their own resolution to their respective story/romance.
Ari's love story ends on a sad note since, as typical of Japan, you absolutely cannot have step-siblings around the same age in anime without at least one of them having unrequited love feelings for the other. It didn't bother me as much this show since honestly the romance aspect of hers wasn't pushed until the last 2-3 episodes. Still I shed some beer for my homies, and her final scene was pretty sad.
As to my complaints for the Claire/Superman resolution
the implication they're fighting a war to get her back is nice and Kal doing his best and all, but they never actually met back up. When you have a show that won't get a second season nor a movie and you end it with 'we're gonna fight a war to get her back' you better have a timeskip to once you succeed. Ending it with 'I'll get you back I promise' is bullshit for me after this many episodes and considering this was central to the plot, unlike the other stories that got their resolution and only had a few scenes/episodes at most

Outside of this complaints, this show had a brilliant idea behind it but just an ok execution. When I first read the premise when it was coming out I was looking forward to it. But it ended up being just ok. I mean a premise of a former prince seeking revenge but finding redemption and friendship sounds great on paper, but the execution of typical [blank] high school show was underwhelming. I mean they even managed to sneak in a festival and a pool episode, in the middle of fucking war. Animation wasn't that great either.

Pilot's Love Song gets a 7/10. If I finish a show it tends to mean I still enjoyed it enough to not drop it.

Buddy Complex 13 Season 1: End

This show isn't perfect. But it has managed to keep me watching and care about the characters, so it has done its job right in that aspect. At first when I heard of this and saw the first couple of episodes I thought it was going to turn into DTL: The Anime. But it didn't, which I appreciate. For the episode itself I was glad and surprised that
they didn't continue the loop but immediately recognized it as such and broke it off now, which means that as Aoba says 'nobody knows the future'. While it isn't necessarily bad to know what's going to happen at the end for many shows, for this one it was since it would've been a time loop
. I also appreciated how
Hina and Aoba are as close as they are, which means this next season will probably revolve around them getting closer together with the occasional love triangle hijinx from the other girl we all know won't win

Looking forward to the next season, a break in between them is just enough for me to regain interest. Also looking forward to how DTL will twist that last friendly banter between Aoba and Dio for his Buddy Complex fanfiction.

Buddy Complex Season 1 gets a 7.5/10

Hajime no ippo 24

So much heart so much sadness damn the shit nekota-san and yukie are going through is dark, it's uplifting how they don't let the card fate dealt them keep there spirits down.

Nekota is one crazy badass mofo and theses fights & everything in this flash back arc is brutal.

Hajime no ippo 25

That was fucking insane what an Incredibly beautiful ending to a Season.

Best season ending episode ever.

rib_raper_by_aims773-d7cb5wb.gif

Insane animation

Rising sound track is really good epic stuff, sawano and iwasaki fans need to go wash out there ears and listen to some real ost's.

Finisher- such an epic track it even makes this steak am eating taste even better

Trickster- sounds like it's africa up in here

Delusion

Home

He's from the US

Looking over you

that 30mb gif... so good.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sounds like SHAFT is doing gods work by making Nisekoi interesting. Guess I won't ever touch the manga after the series is over. I hope they really don't do a read the manga type of ending then.

you know, its really hard to judge height of characters in anime.

artistic flair + the lack of care in environment + no one gets perspective.

toilet.jpg

Articalys

Best part!
I was kind of laughing/impressed at the individual transformations, but when they did the team pose and name call at the end was what really made it. Especially with Mami as the group leader.
At least you're not aggravated! lol
The funny thing is,
I'm actually more irritated about what Homura did to Sayaka at the end rather than Madoka! Though I'll admit I'm still working to piece together all the events that eventually led to Homura's decision to steal Madoka's power and recreate the world again, since she seemed okay with just fighting to protect Madoka's world at the end of the TV series. Unless being trapped by the Incubators and meeting the Madoka in the labyrinth broke her that much?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
you know, its really hard to judge height of characters in anime.

artistic flair + the lack of care in environment + no one gets perspective.
There's a nicely done scene in Sailor Moon episode 25 where Makoto stands up from the arcade machine to greet Ami and Rei, and both of them show an immediate reaction to the fact that she stood up to be a head taller than them.

fertygo

Hajime no Ippo : Rising new track for the OST is pretty much shit the hell you talking about cwarrior, some track with opera singer is very off putting.

Thanks god the one time they use it in flashback arc is rather nice.

If Nisekoi ends with an anime original ending, let me know as I'll watch it in a heartbeat. I mean unless it sucks just as bad as how the manga is handling it.

Gundam Build Fighters 25: End

The show actually went there. I've been waiting for it the whole season. Unlike you Gundam fans who were enjoying the battles, which I did as well, the thing I was looking forward to the most is for the children's hobby joke to reach epic levels. And so it did.

"My god, the
fabric of space and time is breaking apart and we have to fight a new evil
! QUICKLY. EVERYBODY ASSEMBLE YOUR TOYS. It ain't over till my plastic toy is no longer able to move!" thank you anime Jesus.

As to the battles, they were pretty great. I especially liked the master and Ral whooping ass. The relationship between the two leads is damn close to Gon and Killua's relationship at the mid point of the series. Where they're still best friends but not practically to DTL levels. I loved how
Aila got her wish at the end to stay with Reiji
. The show ended the way I was expecting it to. Not with a definitive ending, but with one that ends the current show's premise but leaves it open enough to where a second season could come if necessary. I mean as far as I hear it won't, but at least they had the decency to tie off most of the plots.
I mean Sei and China's and the Italian dude with the idol's plot weren't entirely resolved but we know they like their respective other. Now it's just a point of imagining that they do get together eventually

edit: oh forgot to give it a score. I enjoyed it, but I feel I'm in the minority that didn't think it was that mindblowing since for the most part I don't care that much for mech shows. Gundam Build Fighters gets an 8/10

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo : Rising new track for the OST is pretty much shit the hell you talking about cwarrior, some track with opera singer is very off putting.

Yeah, not only is it a mess in terms of content as it is unnecessarily varied, but in its use as well. Complete right straight to the immersion

That said, I kinda liked Weight of My Pride and how it was used during the scene where Ippo revealed his improved Dempsey Roll

There's a nicely done scene in Sailor Moon episode 25 where Makoto stands up from the arcade machine to greet Ami and Rei, and both of them show an immediate reaction to the fact that she stood up to be a head taller than them.
I feel like you really want me to continue Sailor Moon.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If Nisekoi ends with an anime original ending, let me know as I'll watch it in a heartbeat. I mean unless it sucks just as bad as how the manga is handling it.

Gundam Build Fighters 25: End

The show actually went there. I've been waiting for it the whole season. Unlike you Gundam fans who were enjoying the battles, which I did as well, the thing I was looking forward to the most is for the children's hobby joke to reach epic levels. And so it did.

"My god, the
fabric of space and time is breaking apart and we have to fight a new evil
! QUICKLY. EVERYBODY ASSEMBLE YOUR TOYS. It ain't over till my plastic toy is no longer able to move!" thank you anime Jesus.

As to the battles, they were pretty great. I especially liked the master and Ral whooping ass. The relationship between the two leads is damn close to Gon and Killua's relationship at the mid point of the series. Where they're still best friends but not practically to DTL levels. I loved how
Aila got her wish at the end to stay with Reiji
. The show ended the way I was expecting it to. Not with a definitive ending, but with one that ends the current show's premise but leaves it open enough to where a second season could come if necessary. I mean as far as I hear it won't, but at least they had the decency to tie off most of the plots.
I mean Sei and China's and the Italian dude with the idol's plot weren't entirely resolved but we know they like their respective other. Now it's just a point of imagining that they do get together eventually

I don't know man,
they even show Fellini going to Kirara's concert.
Why the hell would he do that if it wasnt LOVE? Thats as definitive as it gets.

Aila and Reiji
being the OTP of the series really came through here as they got the most climatic finish out of every couple in the series and boy there were a -lot- of them. Love for everybody!

I was kind of laughing/impressed at the individual transformations, but when they did the team pose and name call at the end was what really made it. Especially with Mami as the group leader.

The funny thing is,
I'm actually more irritated about what Homura did to Sayaka at the end rather than Madoka! Though I'll admit I'm still working to piece together all the events that eventually led to Homura's decision to steal Madoka's power and recreate the world again, since she seemed okay with just fighting to protect Madoka's world at the end of the TV series. Unless being trapped by the Incubators and meeting the Madoka in the labyrinth broke her that much?

From what I gathered (after taking a couple hours thinking it over too haha) Homura
went to create her own world to 'save' Madoka which still aligned with her original mission. The scene in which Homura and Madoka were conversing in the field lead Homura to think that Madoka shouldn't be a god because that's not what Madoka as a person pre-magical girl (Madoka saying that she was weak/cowardly/etc. something along those lines, can't recall it off the top of my head). It was shown again at the very end where Homura asked Madoka if she treasured a normal world with stability/order (a nice little throwback to the TV series).

fertygo

Yeah, not only is it a mess in terms of content as it is unnecessarily varied, but in its use as well. Complete right straight to the immersion

That said, I kinda liked Weight of My Pride and how it was used during the scene where Ippo revealed his improved Dempsey Roll

Yeah, this season OST is even worse than New Challenger's its hard to believe, the placement for the track can also very absurd.

First season OST is still the king in term of quality and placement.

OST simply not a thing that I gonna praise from Rising.

omlet

So I finally got to see Rebellion last night. I can finally come out of my cocoon and visit online anime discussion now that I managed to avoid pretty much all spoilers for the movie for the past months.

What a ride.

What.
A.
Ride.

This was me last night: (linked out of courtesy even though not really spoiler) http://i.imgur.com/keuZ2yz.jpg

Initial non-spoiler impression is that, well, it's a fitting ending. It's such a logical "next step" (twice, even!) that I can't complain about the twists, even if I would have been "more" content to see the movie end without the last big one. I need to see it again to let the whole thing sink in a bit more, but, yeah, in the same way that the end of the series didn't end how I expected, but I grew to like the ending, I think the same thing might apply here, at least I think so as of now.

Narag

Himitsu no Akko-chan (1989) movies 1-2

Toei-produced classic-style magical girl show directed by Hiroki Shibata, who also was an episode director for Sailor Moon later on. These movies are basically just well-produced episodes attached to other movies in their theatrical release. Overall, I liked them. The main conceit is the protagonist can transform into anything and is used to good effect, and this kind of thing played a notable part in Doremi too. The cast was lively, and speaking of which, there is a girl obsessed with getting "big scoops" that is incredibly similar to the photographer girl in Doremi.

May have to watch these as I really liked that director's eps.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not only did it look great, but the fact that it was a medley of themes was perfect as well.

The funny thing is,
I took it to be a vow to never let herself spiral into depression ever again. You look at the post-credits sequence and the fact that QB has been... well, not tortured, but certainly not the cute looking mascot we know him as, and you see that Homura has taken agency of not just all of their lives, but the whole paradigm of the natural universe as a whole.

Shaft needs to do a normal magical girl show
so we can get more of dem transformations
Well, apparently people are demanding another season of Magica, so... lol

Cwarrior

Okay okay I admit it's certainly not even on the same level at season 1 but most of soundtrack from season 1 where present in rising plus new additions(stuff like finisher and trickster is top tier stuff )

So the track arsenal was better then any season in rising but the use of it wasn't any where near as strong.

I had no problem with opera stuff but I did hate that one rock track yuck.

It's definitely better then any swano kill la kill bullshit that gets mentioned here.

Narag

Hyouka 2

hBqWBBvl.jpg
NgDKIVtl.jpg
75TzAKWl.jpg

Love how there's no shortage of interesting visuals for me to pause and examine.

V5E4rjYl.jpg

Some more interesting than others!

man, that's a bullshit way to end an ep. Really like this though as I can somewhat relate to Oreki. It's early though but I fully appreciate how grounded the show is, gives it a more realistic quality I find most shows to lack.

Hyouka 2

man, that's a bullshit way to end an ep. Really like this though as I can somewhat relate to Oreki. It's early though but I fully appreciate how grounded the show is, gives it a more realistic quality I find most shows to lack.

I really appreciated how the show didn't pretend these high school kids were all of a sudden gonna go and solve a murder mystery. It gave you logical 'cases' for a social detective club to solve.

image.php

Articalys

Hyouka 2

That's also one of the things that I love about it. Even for series set in the "real world", i.e. with zero fantasy elements, it feels like they still run along a sort of scale based on how plausibly I believe the characters and situations could exist in real life, and for me Hyouka still lands pretty close to the more realistic end of even that measure.

Narag

That's also one of the things that I love about it. Even for series set in the "real world", i.e. with zero fantasy elements, it feels like they still run along a sort of scale based on how plausibly I believe the characters and situations could exist in real life, and for me Hyouka still lands pretty close to the more realistic end of even that measure.

Oreki irritated at having to wait for the librarian while the other three chatted it up hit close to home for me. good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom