• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Well, outselling 3/4 of all anime titles is pretty okayish I guess.

I don't believe that the production committee is unhappy with the anime sales or the 100% boost of the manga sales since the anime anouncement.

To love ru did better than that, but its didn't help at all when the series struggling at WSJ polling (which Nisekoi currently in bottom of ToC almost on every week) and got cut, before continuing as monthly serialization.

Nisekoi may follow the same path.

Shueisha seem not interested with keep milking manga that already hit the ceiling for 200-300k per volume even after giving effort wwith making anime, they rather cut it and find another bigger seller potential (see Nurarihyon no Mago)

JoeFu

Banned
Holy crap Space Bros is awesome. On Episode 4 right now and I'm really liking it. Probably will finish it this week...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Hold on.....

..... Okay I am back.

All jokes aside keep going with Angel Beats. It's funny because every time you have a question or complaint about something it gets addressed literally in the next episode. :)

Also my wet dream of a post would've been Clannad After Story and Angel Beats. You guys really don't know me. :p

Well, we see. The interesting parts are the various past rather than this dumb setting.

Already seen After Story

Truly the Attack on Titan of yuri

I liked Kyoukai no Kanata too, especially the idol episode.

Stop saying I have shit taste, AnimeGAF >_<

We're not saying you can't like shows that aren't popular here. Heck I love Psycho-Pass, unlike 90% of AnimeGAF regulars in these seasonal anime threads.

What we're saying is that this guy has consistently bad taste and judgement calls. He only recently was willing to give Cowboy Bebop a second shot after he dropped it because "he was bored early on" and refused to watch it again for years even though people told him it got better. Sure he liked it recently, but to not like it takes a very specific type of person.

Also yes, the fact he liked the humor in Noucume or w/e the fuck it's called and KnK, which the humor consisted of:

"i like glasses chicks, pervy face"

"Sister I want to fuck you"

"I'm so kuudere let me insult you"

"No senpai this is our fight"

over and over and over again, means that his taste in humor is crap. Yes humor is subjective, I know. Opinion is fact.

Well, we see. The interesting parts are the various past rather than this dumb setting.

That's honestly the main problem I have with Angel Beats. The characters are already dead! Why should I care about the development these people go through since one way or another they're all going to end up disappearing in the end?

And I find that really disappointing because I kind of liked these characters and I thought the show's sense of humor was pretty funny!

Anyways, I promised to pick Angel Beats back up again once PshychoNinja starts watching Madoka and/or Gurren Lagann, so my opinion may change on that, who knows.

I found the perfect GIF if Corvo ever attempts to insult me again

N2lL4qY.gif

based google

Macross 7 30
After watching 30 episodes of this the past 2 days I'm not sure whether I love or hate Yoshiki Fukuyama. I actually like the music, but damn, I must have listened to Planet Dance 100 times by now.

The only OTP for Kirito. Bros before hoes.

You can't make me get this game.

Winter 2014 Vol. 1 Rankings, updated for last week's sales:

New entries bolded. There are some possible event ticket effects, but we'll have to wait for vol.2+ to know for sure.

Additionally, the first Blu-ray box for Gundam Build Fighters sells 3,845 limited edition (w/gunpla).

BD cutoff of 3,394 this week, so anything below that will have to wait until Thursday.

So no real breakout star of the season yet.

How the fuck did super sonico sell more than Sakura Trick? Get your shit together Japan.

I think the first volume of Sonico came with a figure. So most people probably bought it for the figure.

Gbraga

Well, that was definitely the best episode. It's a pity about the rest of the...

...Er, yeah, what he said.

I'll definitely agree that it needed more episodes like that instead of... whatever it was doing when it was trying to be serious.

DiGiKerot

GUYS!

I just got my Precure Ending Movie Collection BD in the mail, featuring all the CG-tastic ending credits dances from Fresh Precure through to DokiDoki.

Truly, this is the Blu-Ray the medium was created for. It's no wonder BD sales for the last season have been so poor, because it's totally done now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GUYS!

I just got my Precure Ending Movie Collection BD in the mail, featuring all the CG-tastic ending credits dances from Fresh Precure through to DokiDoki.

Truly, this is the Blu-Ray the medium was created for. It's no wonder BD sales for the last season have been so poor, because it's totally done now.
April Fools? lol

fertygo

I could see movie Minmay but TV Minmay dates her brother for YEARS. And on top of that, her brother is KAIFUN.

Kaifun isn't her brother, anyway that's not related to my pont at all.. I have issue for what she doing in TV series too. I dig her more to the all iconic moment that she had as Space Diva pioneer, yeah even including Macross TV soap opera.

Branduil

*looks up biscuits and gravy*

- biscuits that look nothing like biscuits
- gravy that looks nothing like gravy
- meal that looks about as appetising as vomit

Yeah, I don't think I will ever understand Americans.

You're not British are you? Because I don't want to hear criticism of how our food looks from the British...

CorvoSol

Macross 7 30
After watching 30 episodes of this the past 2 days I'm not sure whether I love or hate Yoshiki Fukuyama. I actually like the music, but damn, I must have listened to Planet Dance 100 times by now.

It's how they reinforce that he's like Minmay, cuz I swear by the end of SDFM I was going mad from hearing KYUN KYUN so many times.

Kaifun isn't her brother, anyway that's not related to my pont at all.. I have issue for what she doing in TV series too. I dig her more to the all iconic moment that she had as Space Diva pioneer, yeah even including Macross TV soap opera.

He's her first cousin who she refers to as her brother. Which is every bit as bad in my book. I'm not saying she doesn't have iconic moments, sure, but daaaamn I couldn't stand her. All that "Oh I have a song about a boyfriend who is a pilot but Hikaru is so not that person!" was horrible. This is why I liked her more in the movie, because they removed all that bullshit leading Hikaru on that she did, and because they axed more or less her entire relationship with Kaifun. But in the show that shit weighed her character down something fierce.

I mean, I liked Minmay at first, but the minute Kaifun entered her life her character became an unsalvageable trainwreck in the show.

Misa is golden the whole way through, though, because she learned from Actual Best Girl Claudia.

Branduil

Aura really is the serious, more compact version of the Chuu2 story. Although I feel like they were trying to do two different things with their characters. Aura is focused much more on bullying and isolation, using delusions as a coping mechanism, and I can see why people would find it more grounded to see social consequences for acting odd in the first place. I do think that regressing to cope with a major loss is an equally viable way to look at this type of character, but that's really a comparison I don't want to get into. lol

I will say that, I found the bullying hard to watch - but in the same way that I found The Bully Project hard to watch - because I can certainly identify with the feeling of isolation and simple injustice that the characters seem to suffer.

And in a way, I'm almost glad that the bullies didn't get punished and were essentially allowed to go on with their lives as if nothing really happened on their end. I don't know if that's just a cynical way to look at the world, but inasmuch as there are really no solutions to bullying, I can understand that focusing on the victim is really the only way to realistically milk a satisfying ending out of this story.

In fact, it reminds me of the end of FapNote, which ends on such a shocking downer that it just fucks with all the characters involved and no one is really held accountable. Because that's just how life is sometimes.

(As a side note, although I do think The Bully Project is problematic in spots (which South Park pilloried in their own bullying parody), the lessons in that movie are just as painful to watch. Bullied victims are always isolated, people in positions of authority ignore root causes and blame the victim, and everyone is fine with looking the other way because it's just easier than getting involved.)

That said, it's not like Aura doesn't have a happy ending proper. I just find it a bit bittersweet. If the message is that you just have to learn to cope with feeling like you are isolated until you are used to it, then I'm not sure how happy that really is. As we see in Aku no Hana, that's another form of social separation that doesn't really work either. It feels as if the solution is to carve your own piece of the world, to find your own place in reality where you can assert some kind of identity without retribution. Certainly that is how a lot of subcultures have learned to cope - and I suppose in Japan, it would be a place like Akiba for nerds.

Maybe that's really the only solution, in the same way that a lot of people (myself included) hated highschool and used College/University as a way to just get away from that bullshit. It's not quite the same as pretending to be a level 99 black mage, but it's still a form of escape. God knows I've heard many stories about people who grew up in small towns who ran away to the city as soon as they could, so it's certainly something people are more than willing to do.

Anyway, I glad I finally watched this

Also dat Kobayashi eyepatch. That scene in the classroom where they are being threatened was so sad.

I liked the part during that scene where the girl said "we're not bullying them, just making them follow the rules." Most bullies don't actually think of themselves that way, but as "enforcers" of the "rules."

And yes the bullies not getting punished is sadly realistic, other than
the one guy who went too far and basically forced them to suspend him.

It's how they reinforce that he's like Minmay, cuz I swear by the end of SDFM I was going mad from hearing KYUN KYUN so many times.

At least the music is better than it was in SDF Macross. If it wasn't the show would be unbearable considering half of it is singing.

Branduil

New entries bolded. There are some possible event ticket effects, but we'll have to wait for vol.2+ to know for sure.

Additionally, the first Blu-ray box for Gundam Build Fighters sells 3,845 limited edition (w/gunpla).

BD cutoff of 3,394 this week, so anything below that will have to wait until Thursday.

The lesson here is to keep making generic, cliched garbage if you want to make money in the anime industry.

Defuser

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ep 13 to 26
Decided to get off my ass and finish the remaining half of it which I put it off for some reason. Fuck, I was fucking blown away, I regretted for not watching this earlier.

Overall, this show is fucking excellent. The visuals, the battles,the fanservice, the characters and the romance which almost everybody have a chance of. And never have I seen a old man have so much greatness.

Truly deserves it's No.1 spot for 2013 AOTY.

DiGiKerot

Are you actually learning the dances with the choreography videos?

Pfft, as if I didn't know the dance routines already!

No, I'm not - honest!

Speaking of Precure, has anyone actually bothered to watch the DokiDoki movie yet? I have a copy of that here also, but now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard anyone say anything about it anyway.

Midonin

Speaking of Precure, has anyone actually bothered to watch the DokiDoki movie yet?
I was not expecting the Doki Doki movie to hit me in the hearstrings as hard as it did. The writers switched out the journey to a magical land for something that, even as it obviously plays for your emotions, does so very successfully. It's the one time I've seen Mana really break down.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
GUYS!

I find that Blu-Ray kind of hurts the old dances because now you can see all of the jaggies in the character models. lol

I was not expecting the Doki Doki movie to hit me in the hearstrings as hard as it did. The writers switched out the journey to a magical land for something that, even as it obviously plays for your emotions, does so very successfully. It's the one time I've seen Mana really break down.

Interest rising.

cajunator

Banned
Guys, lets just agree that the show with the ghost rape and pee & incest fetishism was the worst show of the season.

Yes. ImoCho is awful.

The return of vomit moe

Yotsuba& adapted by Gonzo.

Yes please!

Being psycho makes girls even cuter.

Well, thats true!

Mikakunin doing well :D

CAJUN

48267322ziuhv.jpg

DRINK WITH ME, MY BROTHER

OH FUCK YES.
Why is this pic so small? why arent there gigantic images like this of Kurumi?

That's a strange example to get angry over. Of course Soredemo gets outsold by an adaptation from a vastly more popular source material.

Yeah pretty much. Soredemo is excellent but not very marketable.

Even compared to Ayase? Girl's crazy

When she was being all cute cause her aniki wasn't home >_<

So adorable

Ayase was obviously crazy. Manami gradually went psycho kind of unexpectedly.

fertygo

He's her first cousin who she refers to as her brother. Which is every bit as bad in my book. I'm not saying she doesn't have iconic moments, sure, but daaaamn I couldn't stand her. All that "Oh I have a song about a boyfriend who is a pilot but Hikaru is so not that person!" was horrible. This is why I liked her more in the movie, because they removed all that bullshit leading Hikaru on that she did, and because they axed more or less her entire relationship with Kaifun. But in the show that shit weighed her character down something fierce.

I mean, I liked Minmay at first, but the minute Kaifun entered her life her character became an unsalvageable trainwreck in the show.

Misa is golden the whole way through, though, because she learned from Actual Best Girl Claudia.
I can understand, but the most iconic Space Diva in Cartoon leave stronger impression to me let say the Best Female Cockpit Crew ever.. that's all my point.
I've seen it, but I'll take the music in Macross 7 over any of it.
Ai Oboetteimasuka is my favorite macross song.

And as much I like Aniki/JAM Project, those kind of song isn't what I relate to Macross music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom