• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurky

Winter 2014 Vol. 1 Rankings, updated for last week's sales:

New entries bolded.

Additionally, the first Blu-ray box for Gundam Build Fighters sells 3,845.

BD cutoff of 3,394 this week, so anything below that will have to wait until Thursday.

How can loli conquest and sakura trick make such little sales? This confirms that japan hates good things...

New entries bolded. There are some possible event ticket effects, but we'll have to wait for vol.2+ to know for sure.

BD cutoff of 3,394 this week, so anything below that will have to wait until Thursday.

If we ever needed to be reminded about how terrible Japan's taste is, here's more proof... the best season in some time, and sales are that terrible? This is why we don't get fun shows all that often...

And on that note, D-Frag is great and one of the best comedy animes in a while. It deserves success! Not even charting... kind of tragic. The show needs more seasons badly, but it'll never get them, will it. Awful. Sakura Trick too of course; it charted, but not high, obviously. That show is proof that zero budget can still be great with the right subject matter. At least Saki S2 did okay, but even that could be better than those numbers... same for SYD.

New entries bolded. There are some possible event ticket effects, but we'll have to wait for vol.2+ to know for sure.

I guess Nisekoi sold quite well for an endless shounen jump show.

But the season is pretty subpar saleswise.

cnet128

Banned
Nisekoi 11

Looks like we will find some resolution... maybe in the next episode...

"Nisekoi"..."resolution"...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oreimo 4 was great, Kirino is great, Ayase is great, Kuroneko is great. I even like the protagonist, whatever the fuck his name is.

I approve of the bolded. And the rest, but the bolded is most important.

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 12

Final verdict: Why was this made? Why did I watch this? Why am I planning on watching season 2?

Because it is wonderful, because it is wonderful, and because you need to see how deep the rabbit hole of bizarreness and idiocy goes.

Spoilers: It goes so deep. You are not even close to prepared.

Mushishi Special

The montage of all the people Ginko helped watching the eclipse near the start of the episode was pretty nice though.

Was it actually possible to tell any of them apart?

Free was better than Tamako Market. Tamako Market was always boring.

Even just watching episode 3 of Tamako Market 12 times would be more enjoyable than watching all of Free!

(I didn't even think Free was all that bad, but this is still accurate.)

fertygo

I thought Witchcraft gonna does better than that ;_;
Oh well, bomba season.. Even Nisekoi result not gonna make WSJ thinking twice for the manga that doing poor in their poll, good.. original ending pls

Articalys

Prelim sales list for March 24-30:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1155

Final averages:
- High School DxD New finishes up six volumes with a 9,001 BD+DVD average.
- Hyperdimension Neptunia clears its seventh volume for a 4,681 BD+DVD average.
- Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ takes a 4,245 BD+DVD average after six volumes, nano de.
- Silver Spoon S1 is still waiting for BD numbers on its sixth volume, but for now it's at a 2,098 average.
- Attack on Titan is just under a 50k average and should cross it with BD numbers from the full list.

Other notes:
- The Code Geass R2 BD-Box sells 12,135, better than the first season's box.
- Oddly, Kuroko's Basketball v3 debuts slightly better than either v1 or v2, so who knows what's going on there.
- Apologies for confusion about the GBF box numbers earlier, those are for the Gunpla-bundle LE only. The regular version should contribute another 2-3k sales in the full list.

fertygo

Gundam Build Fighters v1 sells 3,845 LE BD boxes. The RE box should sell like 3k I’d guess. Not coming anywhere near the 10k that seemed possible at one point, but should be a solid 6k+. I need to figure out how to calculate v1 totals… maybe take the average of the first four DVDs? It doesn’t even line up nicely as a 4/4, with 9 DVDs but 2 BD boxes. Complications argh. I guess I’ll go with that though, which will put it at 545 + 3845 + whatever RE box does.

This not sound too bad for GBF, plus they releasing some gunpla from the show.

S2 pls

BluWacky

Noragami and Inari bombed.....fuck Japan man.

Did you like either show enough that you would pay US$66 per disc to watch them again?

It has nothing to do with the quality of a show, IMO. Although Anime Shouritsu seems to have stopped updating since 2012, according to the last sets of data he was recording roughly the same audience share watched a megabomb like From The New World as any other late night anime. The question is:

i) Is there anything you want to see again from the show in particular - whether cool action or fan service or whatever;
ii) Does whatever comes with the BluRay justify the purchase i.e. fan event tickets etc.?

Noragami and Inari, regardless of quality or otherwise, have no such hooks. They're just solid-to-good shows that will be forgotten in a few years' (months'?) time like so many others. Is there anything from either show you want to rewatch in future?

This not sound too bad for GBF, plus they releasing some gunpla from the show.

S2 pls

Isn't that still kinda bomba disc sales for a Gundam series? 00 sold over 30k per volume and we don't even have to mention SEED... AGE was epic bomba though. Of course for GBF gunpla sales are the most important money generator though.

"Nisekoi"..."resolution"...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah, yeah. Now I see why some were laughing when I said that.

Be nice if we can have resolution someday. That would be cool. Just like how I wish they reached a decent stopping point in Air Gear but that never happened. :/

fertygo

Isn't that still kinda bomba disc sales for a Gundam series? 00 sold over 30k per volume and we don't even have to mention SEED... AGE was epic bomba though. Of course for GBF gunpla sales are the most important money generator though.

Yeah, but its not placed as flagship titlte with how its airing on TV Tokyo instead TBS/MBS
and aiming smaller audience, I think they would happy with it considering that,

Thoraxes

Additionally, the first Blu-ray box for Gundam Build Fighters sells 3,845 limited edition (w/gunpla).

No Wizard Barristers?

Edit: Oh, I think that doesn't release till April 2nd. Vol. 1 isn't out yet I think.

duckroll

It's not always comparable. The fact that it was released in box sets instead of single blu-ray volumes already indicates that they don't expect the same sort of sales as series targeted at older audiences with more serious content. The anime retail market is generally such a niche market that it is impossible to do casual comparisons to determine if something is successful. It requires understanding the business reasons for why a show exists to begin with, and sometimes that has nothing at all to do with the sales of home video releases at all.

Yeah, but its not placed as flagship titlte with how its airing on TV Tokyo instead TBS/MBS
and aiming smaller audience, I think they would happy with it considering that,

Oh. Didn't know that. Well then it seems that those are pretty solid sales especially if they sold tons of gunpla.

It's not always comparable. The fact that it was released in box sets instead of single blu-ray volumes already indicates that they don't expect the same sort of sales as series targeted at older audiences with more serious content. The anime retail market is generally such a niche market that it is impossible to do casual comparisons to determine if something is successful. It requires understanding the business reasons for why a show exists to begin with, and sometimes that has nothing at all to do with the sales of home video releases at all.

Oh. I definitely knew that home video sales are not everything with many shows (those based on manga or those with a lot of mechandise like GBF). But yeah those sales for GBF make more sense after yours and fertygo's explanations.

duckroll

I'm also surprised that anyone thinks that Noragami is a "bomb" in any sense. The cut off for the BDs this week is above 3k. Noragami certainly wouldn't have sold 0 BD copies, and based on pre-release tracking it looks likely to have sold 2-3k in BD. Adding that to the 3k in DVDs which actually made the DVD list this week, that's about 5-6k. It's not great for home video sales, but taking into consideration that the anime is sponsored to promote the manga, and that manga sales have doubled since the start of the anime, it's hard to see the series as anything but a commercial success.

Quasar

Did you like either show enough that you would pay US$66 per disc to watch them again?

Man has yet to make anything in terms of video that I'd pay that much for. But then my desire for physical media is pretty damn low these days, at any price.

CAJUN

48267322ziuhv.jpg

DRINK WITH ME, MY BROTHER

phaze

Why would you watch FSN at this point?

Might as well and wait to see if ufotable can somehow manage to salvage that garbage and turn it into a good show.

Why not just wait for the Ufotable version?

Oh geeze why are you watching this? Wait for Ufotable's remake of F/SN.

Oh God son what are you doing? Wait for the Ufotable adaption, DEEN managed to make an interesting character like Shirou into the worst, most pathetic protagonist ever. Never go DEEN.

KuGsj.gif
Well after F/Z I was just hungry for more. Lots of time till the fall as well.

Wanted to see if its as big a trainwreck as people say it is too.

To the harem comment= not sure if the anime covers it but in the VN, each path basically nets you a different girl. So it's a harem of sorts, I think anime covers the main/saber's path, but I'm sure they'll have Rin being tsundere ojousama all jealous and shit.

welp

In spite of being based on a Shounen Jump manga, Nisekoi is a late night anime, so those numbers aren't that good.

Well, outselling 3/4 of all anime titles is pretty okayish I guess.

I don't believe that the production committee is unhappy with the anime sales or the 100% boost of the manga sales since the anime anouncement.

I dunno who started it but all I know is that non-Americans in general tend to a.) think it looks weird or b.) assume we're talking about the same thickened beef/chicken stock that goes on potatoes. I remember being at a hotel breakfast once and having to explain what sausage gravy was to a couple of old French ladies who asked me why I was putting "white sauce" on my biscuits.

explaining gravy always sucks lol. on paper, shit is the most disgusting sounding shit ever.... but gravy is king.

DiGiKerot

If we ever needed to be reminded about how terrible Japan's taste is, here's more proof... the best season in some time, and sales are that terrible? This is why we don't get fun shows all that often...

Build Fighters isn't an otaku show, though - it doesn't air late at night, and actually selling disks isn't really the main intention behind it. The fact that it's shifting model kits by the truckload, particularly after the beyond lacklustre performance of Age in that regard, makes it about as successful, if not more-so, than it needed to be.

Folks need to be careful about reading too much into just pure sales numbers - I realise there's a temptation to use it as a barometer of success simply because it's the one metric that we actually get to see, but there's some shows which are never really expected to actually shift in significant numbers. Releasing the BD version of your kids show directly as an enormously expensive box set is a pretty clear signal that they were never expecting it to shift disks. Also see Precure, and note how they continue to make that show year-on-year even though the BD sets do nothing.

Sure, if something only sells a Fractale, and it's a shows that's difficult to otherwise merchandise, then it's probably a problem, but sales figures alone rarely actually tell the full story.

cajunator

Banned
So I'm currently playing
Homura's Crimson Squad's storyline
in Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus and got to the part where
Mirai is washing everyone's laundry in a river, but before she does Haruka and Hikage's load she decides to try on their underwear.

Still unwashed mind you.

tyACYDn.gif

This gaaaaaaaaame!

Mirai did that?
Did she have cat ears at the time?

The concept of gravy for breakfast always grossed me out. Like those disturbed heathens who put ketchup on their scrambled eggs.

biscuits with sausage gravy is pretty amazing. One of the most filling things you can eat for breakfast.

Have you read the book or in any other way experienced The Count of Monte Cristo? I'm kinda curious to know what it's like to experience it this way for the first time. Also is this Gankutsuo, where the Count is blue and such? Cuz I really liked that.

Oranges > The Devil's Breakfast

Biscuits n Gravy is good. Ketchup on scrambled eggs is heresy.

tabasco sauce on eggs is great.

So much wrong in this thread. Clearly the best breakfast to have is some sunny side eggs with buttered toast on the side. Add to that a helping of golden brown hash browns with orange juice or milk.

Boom! Perfect breakfast.

The Waffle house breakfast is ok but can do much better.

Perfectly bland.

Thick fluffy pancakes with pure maple syrup.
Nice thick french toast with the same.
Corned beef hash omelet.
Biscuits and sausage gravy.
Country fried steak and eggs.
Scrambled eggs with hot sausage on rice.

Nice choices here. Add also crawfish omelette, crawfish grits, boudin and cracklins, cafe au lait and New Orleans style beignets with powdered sugar, and wheat starch dumplings

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Additionally, the first Blu-ray box for Gundam Build Fighters sells 3,845 limited edition (w/gunpla).

Whoo for Nisekoi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom