• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

BweYu3P.jpg

Meer Campbell is the greatest Space Diva ever.

Nordicus

Gintama 8

Okay, this was it. The first episode that felt consistently funny throughout its duration. The Shinsengumi are funny, Gintoki showed that he's actually being his most underhanded whenever his "honorable samurai" routine goes on long enough, and Shinpachi is a pretty decent tsukkomi that mixes up his responses and can at times do something other than retort as well. In my opinion, a lot of Japanese comedies are often ruined by either one-note, ignored or unnatural tsukkomi.

Like, Tsuda from Seitokai Yakuindomo has really started to bore me recently because the "tsukkomi Tsuda" acts and speaks so differently from normal Tsuda, and his retorts never get a reply. They might as well be Youtube annotations or a laughtrack for how little they're acknowledged.

Hoping the show can keep being this funny

Gazoinks

Gintama 8

Okay, this was it. The first episode that felt consistently funny throughout its duration. The Shinsengumi are funny, Gintoki showed that he's actually being his most underhanded whenever his "honorable samurai" routine goes on long enough, and Shinpachi is a pretty decent tsukkomi that mixes up his responses and can at times do something other than retort as well. In my opinion, a lot of Japanese comedies are often ruined by either one-note, ignored or unnatural tsukkomi.

Like, Tsuda from Seitokai Yakuindomo has really started to bore me recently because the "tsukkomi Tsuda" acts and speaks so differently from normal Tsuda, and his retorts never get a reply. They might as well be Youtube annotations or a laughtrack for how little they're acknowledged.

It doesn't keep being this funny.

It gets much, much funnier.

CorvoSol

Come the hell on Corvo, you can't be praising fucking Meer.. even if you joking.

I actually liked Meer. Like, using her was the only reasonable part of the villain's entire plan in that show, and clingy as she was, and there was a modicum of subtlety involved with how fucked up she was. Which is waaaaaaaay more than you can say about any main character introduced in Destiny.

Midonin

Seitokai Yakuindomo* 13 + Final Thoughts

From the start to the finish, this season delivered exactly what I was expecting from it. Yoko Hikasa and Satomi Satou talking dirty. There was no shortage of that, and on that front, I'm satisfied. There's very little visual fanservice, but it's still one of the lewder things I've seen air on TV. Aria remains my favorite character, because of the wide variety of fetishes she brings to the table, but everyone has their charming points, especially Mutsumi, the purest of them all. I'm surprised the show had enough episodes for a second season before it actually got a second season. The one thing I really noticed that was different was that Uomi had a more prominent role - and more Chiwa Saito is always welcome. It was enjoyable, even if it was one of those shows hit by the delay. I hope that doesn't happen this season.

And kudos to the translators for keeping all of those puns into similarly dirty English equivalents.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gintama 8

Oh, if you want a perfect example of how lack of real interaction will kill a comedy, look at Yuri Seijin Naoko-san. Naoko does crazy stuff. Straight girl says why it's crazy every single time, but Naoko takes no notice or heed and continues to do next crazy thing. Repeat until credits. It completely sucks any potential humor it might have had, because nothing is allowed to simply be funny. I must also be spoonfed each joke punchline.

On the other hand, one of the reasons why Hare nochi Guu works as well as it does is that there's a genuine back and forth, primarily because Guu is trolling the fuck out of Hare at very opportunity.

cajunator

Banned
*looks up biscuits and gravy*

- biscuits that look nothing like biscuits
- gravy that looks nothing like gravy
- meal that looks about as appetising as vomit

Yeah, I don't think I will ever understand Americans.

Well first off that is a terrible example of it. Secondly, a lot of amazingly delicious food looks awful. Curry is a great example.

Date a Live is a battle anime? I thought it was just about those cute girls being cute.

Not really. There are a few fights in it but mostly between the girls before they know the MC
or Kurumi

No April Fool's but Humikane DA GAWD drew everyone's favorite Finnish cutie.
PXvoGJe.jpg

So goooooooood.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nah she did not at the time, still great though!

Thats oki. mirai is a cutie in any circumstance.

The newest Mahouka wallpaper is the best, Leo! Meaning the final ones will undoubtably have to be Chiba Erika, Miyuki, then Tatsuya.

This looks pretty bad.

Holy crap Space Bros is awesome. On Episode 4 right now and I'm really liking it. Probably will finish it this week...

Its 100 episodes. you know that right?
Worth seeing but it will require some dedication.

You only have shit taste if you think you have shit taste.

It's like a mental thing or something...

This is 100% truth.
My taste in anime is impeccable.

Deadly serious, man.

Impressive!

CorvoSol

Nice joke , Corvo ...nice joke

good new characters in Destiny

Ah ah ah

Unlike many, I actually enjoyed Destiny. I know it's bad, but it was my 2nd Gundam show after Wing, so I have some weird opinions on it.

Im on the final episode of Seed HD. Soon.

Get on that! If anyone other than me will like Destiny, it'll be you, and it'd be nice to not be the only person to like Destiny.

fertygo

I actually liked Meer. Like, using her was the only reasonable part of the villain's entire plan in that show, and clingy as she was, and there was a modicum of subtlety involved with how fucked up she was. Which is waaaaaaaay more than you can say about any main character introduced in Destiny.

Maybe I need an rewatch (oh god.. but I do have a plan since I'm not completely watching the show and watching with local dub back then) but Lacus replacement subplot is fucking dumb from what I remember, like the rest of Destiny.

Narag

Oh, if you want a perfect example of how lack of real interaction will kill a comedy, look at Yuri Seijin Naoko-san. Naoko does crazy stuff. Straight girl says why it's crazy every single time, but Naoko takes no notice or heed and continues to do next crazy thing. Repeat until credits. It completely sucks any potential humor it might have had, because nothing is allowed to simply be funny. I must also be spoonfed each joke punchline.

On the other hand, one of the reasons why Hare nochi Guu works as well as it does is that there's a genuine back and forth, primarily because Guu is trolling the fuck out of Hare at very opportunity.

Still think that functioned far better as a 3 minute short rather than the 30 minute ep.

CorvoSol

Maybe I need an rewatch (oh god.. but I do have a plan since I'm not completely watching the show and watching with local dub back then) but Lacus replacement subplot is fucking dumb from what I remember, like the rest of Destiny.

I'm not saying Destiny is a good show, just that it made sense. Actually what doesn't make sense is that nobody tries to do what the villain does in Macross. If you have someone as influential as Lynn Minmay you don't let her ride off into the sunset. You hold her hostage, make her sing about how great your government is, and you build your fucking regime on that till the day she dies. Harnessing the Idol's power over an incredibly stupid populous was the one good idea in the whole show.

fertygo

I'm not saying Destiny is a good show, just that it made sense. Actually what doesn't make sense is that nobody tries to do what the villain does in Macross. If you have someone as influential as Lynn Minmay you don't let her ride off into the sunset. You hold her hostage, make her sing about how great your government is, and you build your fucking regime on that till the day she dies. Harnessing the Idol's power over an incredibly stupid populous was the one good idea in the whole show.

They kinda does that in DYRL, bunt we all know Zentradi is fucking dumb on Macross TV.

And that's not addressing Meer's shittiness, her "Forget Lacus" act to Athrun and everyone is bad for your stomach while watching Destiny.

Nordicus

*nods*

Yeah, a lazy tsukkomi essentially makes me feel like this:

Now, watching the first minutes of Gintama 9, I'm already giggling as Gintoki hears Shinpachi and Kagura's inner monologue/narration and accuses them of feigning mental illness in middle of a burp match. Oh man.

CorvoSol

They kinda does that in DYRL, bunt we all know Zentradi is fucking dumb on Macross TV.

And that's not addressing Meer's shittiness, her "Forget Lacus" act to Athrun and everyone is bad for your stomach while watching Destiny.

Yeah but I felt bad for her when
she got killed.
Like, 15 year old me bought right into that. PLUS it was fun to see Athrun have ladies hang off of him. Athrun deserved so much better than what he got in that show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Deadly serious, man.
Well then. lol

I liked the part during that scene where the girl said "we're not bullying them, just making them follow the rules." Most bullies don't actually think of themselves that way, but as "enforcers" of the "rules."

And yes the bullies not getting punished is sadly realistic, other than
the one guy who went too far and basically forced them to suspend him.
Yeah, it's more that bitchy girl basically gets to be a bitch and have nothing happen to her. Even a
suicide attempt
places the blame on the victim and not on the circumstances around that event. Hell, you have girls in real life who are choosing to kill themselves because of bullying, and no one is being held responsible whatsoever.

Soma

Hyouka 3

man, i love Oreki. Work smarter, not harder. Also seemed to get a little more serious business for a bit there but still not outside the realm of plausibility. feels good.

Loved that entire cafe scene. It was at that point where the show completely sold me.

Hyouka 3
man, i love Oreki. Work smarter, not harder. Also seemed to get a little more serious business for a bit there but still not outside the realm of plausibility. feels good.

Oreki and Kyon are like my two favorite KyoAni leads. Just the complete opposite of what you'd expect of modern kyoani, or highschool shows for that matter. I think Hyouka is what got me interested in high school detective/noir genre, which is what lead me to watching Brick.

Unrelated to the above, have you guys seen the fake P5 trailer with all the random anime scenes? I especially love the Another footage.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've never read that and now I have and can't unread it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom