• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Sure, I'm biased and stuff but I kind of like the VHS picture quality. The washed out colors gave Lodoss the extra old school touch.

youre not alone. theres a charm to the old look

IxK9zs5.gif

Mature

FY2014 begins in Japan, and that could bring an event for the ages if their estimation of the project completion date remains the same (well, in the works and with that provisional time-frame since forever, but it still stands); the grand opening of the long touted Tokyo International Manga Library:

MEIJI UNIVERSITY TOP|Tokyo International Manga Library
http://www.meiji.ac.jp/manga/english/

We keep seeing the same non-committal wording (no specific additional information and same 'promotion') in regards to this upcoming permanent installation, from the recently released Meiji University business plan for the new fiscal year (http://www.meiji.ac.jp/chousaka/plan/6t5h7p00000c6jex-att/2014jigyoukeikaku_all.pdf). This probably means things are to be seen far away on the later months of said fiscal period, but I also think the real wait should begin now along the rising expectation, because the massive museum planned and curated by 'otaku'-dom scholar Kaichirō Morikawa is sure going to be worth of that excitement and much more (should it have been called the 'Otaku Museum', as it was first tentatively named in Mr. Morikawa's 'dōjin' circle cataloguing efforts?), taking into account the fixed exposition of Comiket founding fathers Yoshihiro Yonezawa & Tsuguo Iwata full collections (with parts of them already in exhibition) to be present and also the proper Comiket's committee support cooperation with further availability of its own extensive catalogued stock in the following years!

Truly a new milestone for the broader, "upper" cultural presence of this fandom... I hope they expand on the membership access and subsequent accessible content scanning permits actually in place on their temporary Yoshihiro Yonezawa Memorial Library of Manga and Subculture.

Early-bird advise for you, to start organising your visit on a future trip before making any other travel reservations. :p
First I've heard of this. Looks like it could be fascinating. Also, come back soon /XX/.

Sure, I'm biased and stuff but I kind of like the VHS picture quality. The washed out colors gave Lodoss the extra old school touch.
I can appreciate the old school look. The purest way to watch Cowboy Bebop is through poorly recorded VHS as far as I'm concerned.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seitokai Yakuindomo fin
ynIdjWsl.jpg

One last Kobayashi scream. RIP. :(

mZeUCRrl.jpg

Also, what a sad graduation episode. Better than K-On!! and HidaSketch combined. :(

lol

That was such a glorious troll. Given that they assumed people were expecting it, they really did something clever with the idea of graduation in high school anime and just ran with out.

Anyway, perhaps I'm in the minority now, but I still quite enjoy the show for what it is. As a sitcom, I like the jokes and a lot of their delivery (this episode got a few laughs out of me) and that's all I can really ask for in a comedy.

I hope they find a way to do more, whether that means OADs or another eason. Either way, I will miss girls going wild. I guess it's back to blushing and handholding as the defacto anime standard for romance now. lol

/XX/

I should have made a clarification on why I posted about that future library in this thread about animation if it is a "manga" library, right? Well, the collections acquired and to be shared for that project are so broad that the sheer number of self-published 'genga'/animation cels books, animator's original graphical novel works, and animated series & films parody/homage books is so vast it will become a reference on its own for the Japanese animation industry... and I'm more accustomed to posting everything in here on this thread anyway!

First I've heard of this. Looks like it could be fascinating. Also, come back soon /XX/.
Aww, thanks for the encouragement, Mature... two more months and I'll be free enough again to follow the fast pace of this thread!

I wonder if I can finish Haibane Renmei before the spring thread rolls around? Have to take my car in for some repairs so that should give me some time to get through a few episodes.

Nordicus

Gintama 13

...hey guys. Did I just watch a (half)serious Gintama episode?

...about
drug dealers
?

If any of you had told me to expect this, I wouldn't have believed you.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
The list of anime male characters thirstier than Bizon would be really really short. That man needs Jesus :(

Branduil

The crazy thing about old OVAs like Record of Lodoss War is that they always had that level of crazy detail, but virtually no one besides the artists ever saw it until now.

They literally drew every painfully detailed cel while knowing that their work was destined for release on blurry VHS cassettes. That's surely requires a special kind of obsessive, self-satisfactory madness.

Gbraga

The crazy thing about old OVAs like Record of Lodoss War is that they always had that level of crazy detail, but virtually no one besides the artists ever saw it until now.

They literally drew every painfully detailed cel while knowing that their work was destined for release on blurry VHS cassettes. That's surely requires a special kind of obsessive, self-satisfactory madness.

It's quite common among japanese artists, actually. Just look at screenshots of emulated games, or more recently, Dark Souls on PC after Durante's resolution fix. Even the PC version was never intended to display the ridiculous amount of detail it does, those incredible assets would be forever wasted in the low resolution. The amount of detail that just pops when you emulate a PS2 game is impressive.

It's quite common among japanese artists, actually. Just look at screenshots of emulated games, or more recently, Dark Souls on PC after Durante's resolution fix. Even the PC version was never intended to display the ridiculous amount of detail it does, those incredible assets would be forever wasted in the low resolution. The amount of detail that just pops when you emulate a PS2 game is impressive.

Yeah Kind of like how Polyphony detail the seat belts and leather stitching of car seats when we never see that.

This week's episode to feature a moderated debate between Theonik and Chet on the virtues of Hometown and Life.

Cagalli gets the worst of it out of all the returning cast in Destiny, I think. I lost all respect for her character in that show. The only returning character who may compete on that level is
Mu, since that Neo stuff was so poorly handled.

Yeah Cagalli was almost like different person in Destiny. Even back then when I first time watched Destiny as a teen I was like '''what the hell you have done to my Cagalli Sunrise ?!''.

/XX/

LaserDisc, man! Double the resolution (at a minimum), triple the hoarding obsession...

Branduil

LaserDisc, man! Double the resolution (at a minimum), triple the hoarding obsession...

Yeah, that's a good point. But given the obvious increase in quality that bluray brings, they were still drawing a crazy amount of detail given how much would be apparent in their release format.

Syrinx

Tenchi Muyo! OVA 11

Seems pretty counterproductive to let Zero copy people's emotions along with their memories and physical appearance, though I guess it makes for a more convincing charade. But boy, it sure was inefficient this time. And I guess that mark on her body identifies her as being the doctor's, so it took long enough for Washu to find out what was up.

And then Zero stabs Tenchi in his sleep to focus more on the task at hand. But her developing guilt could also get in the way of that. Also no way Tenchi's dead.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tenchi Muyo! OVA 11

Seems pretty counterproductive to let Zero copy people's emotions along with their memories and physical appearance, though I guess it makes for a more convincing charade. But boy, it sure was inefficient this time. And I guess that mark on her body identifies her as being the doctor's, so it took long enough for Washu to find out what was up.
Heh, she knew instantly.

This always crosses my mind when I watch an OVA. Then I get sad. :(

cnet128

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 123

If this were any other show, switching viewpoint away from the King and Netero's fight and spending an entire episode on a couple of minor characters like this would be frustrating as hell.

But this is Hunter x Hunter, and Ikarugo is the most manly octopus in the goddamn world. So this episode was amazing.

Branduil

This always crosses my mind when I watch an OVA. Then I get sad. :(

That's not sad. What's sad is all the early-digital anime that will forever be frozen at SD resolutions because no one had enough foresight or the budget to spare to render at HD resolutions.

Even today anime still aren't rendered at resolutions equivalent to 35mm film.

Theonik

Guys Lodoss' OST is amazing. All this Lodoss talk.
What's more impressive is how they managed to mostly keep that for the English version as well.

Well it was shot on 35mm film so the artists knew full well what would be captured. They could have very well shot at 14mm like some older anime did for LD. But they did not.

That's not sad. What's sad is all the early-digital anime that will forever be frozen at SD resolutions because no one had enough foresight or the budget to spare to render at HD resolutions.

Even today anime still aren't rendered at resolutions equivalent to 35mm film.

Really? Wow.

Branduil

Well it was shot on 35mm film so the artists knew full well what would be captured. They could have very well shot at 14mm like some older anime did for LD. But they did not.

Sure but there was no guarantee that people would ever see that 35mm film or a nearly-equivalent transfer of it.

Branduil

Really? Wow.

I think KyoAni does the highest resolution work, Hyouka was close to 1080p I believe. Some studios like BONES still work at like, 540p, unless they've changed things recently. Space Dandy is probably higher than that though.

There's some Japanese blog that analyzes anime resolutions but I don't remember the link.

cajunator

Banned

Well back then that was cutting edge tech so they probably didnt mind.
Or even laserdisc.

/XX/

Yeah, that's a good point. But given the obvious increase in quality that bluray brings, they were still drawing a crazy amount of detail given how much would be apparent in their release format.
Of course, yeah! And you know, I always had the idea that sometimes the personal pride of each contributor in striving for a work well done could have been enough reward sometimes, or to compete and impress each other, in their professional and collaborative circle too (hidden messages, inside jokes, you name it).

I suppose being secluded and chained to a desk can make you communicate and be 'personal' through the most strange ways!

There's some Japanese blog that analyzes anime resolutions but I don't remember the link.
Yep, here is a little of RURIN's magic:

あに瓶
http://anibin.blogspot.com

Winter 2014 Vol. 1 Rankings, updated for last week's sales:

New entries bolded. There are some possible event ticket effects, but we'll have to wait for vol.2+ to know for sure.

**,*** *0 Saikin, Imouto no Yosuga Chotto Okashiinda ga. 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD]
**,*** *0 pupa 2014/03/28 [BD/DVD]

Tis a pleasant sight to see.

**,*** *0 D-Frag! 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD]

This is just another case where the anime just could not hold a candle to the superiority of the manga.

Prelim sales list for March 24-30:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1155

Final averages:
- High School DxD New finishes up six volumes with a 9,001 BD+DVD average.

Goodgood.gif

Sure, I just need to see your Kurumi Fan Club ID first. If you don't have one, you can join providing you pass the membership test, which involves writing a 5,000 word essay on why Tohka is shit.
shiiiiiiiit

WTF is this???????????

Tohka is undisputed second best girl.

And this is coming from a fellow Kurumi fan.

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic 13

CAT FIGHT
naturally
Tessa wins
cause she's the best.

Patience young grasshopper. It's another teaser from the new PS3 game, and when it's released in June there's a 99.572% chance the full-sized CGs'll materialise online. Catgirl Kurumi included.

Im sooooo excited

Tis a pleasant sight to see.

This is just another case where the anime just could not hold a candle to the superiority of the manga.

Goodgood.gif

WTF is this???????????

Tohka is undisputed second best girl.

And this is coming from a fellow Kurumi fan.

I agree. Kurumi then Tohka, then whatever.

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi 22

How in the actual crap does the author come up with all these twisted ideas? It's amazing.

Literal rebirth. What a fascinating concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom