• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

To Heart 01-04

I said I wanted something happier, and this is pretty happy. Also older than a lot of what I go with for my backlog. Ayako Kawasumi's been in the VA game for quite a while, and watching this is a realization of that. While the animation does rely on a lot of pastel-ish stills, and the pacing is a lot slower than similar shows of its ilk today, the basics of a romantic comedy haven't changed. The childhood friend, the strange occult club, everything is there.

The first episode devoted what felt like a lot of time to assigning new seat numbers. And Hiroyuki feels more aloof than I'd expect from one of these leads. He doesn't hate people, and he's not quite apathetic, given how he gets involved with Aoi and Serika pretty easily, but he's kind of abrasive. All the girls are cute, but if I had to pick a favorite so far, it's Lemmy. Japan's love of crazy foreigners never gets old.

So I'm watching Fate stay night and well, its kind of mediocre. Was all the hype and praise for this? I am disappoint. Its not bad but its not particularly good either .

jman2050

So I'm watching Fate stay night and well, its kind of mediocre. Was all the hype and praise for this? I am disappoint. Its not bad but its not particularly good either .

Any "hype and praise" you see for FSN is specifically for the VN. The anime is nearly universally hated.

To celebrate the series finale of Golden Time, I'm having a contest. I'll be giving away two limited edition silkscreen printed posters that I commissioned. Here are the details:

Golden Time by Hebitsukai ( http://hebi.soragoto.net )

500GoldenTime_2_2forweb_zpseb8e8a6f.jpg

13"x10" 5 colors screenprint on China White Colorplan paper + iridescent gold varnish layer. Hand-Numbered Limited Edition of 16.

This piece is part of the Fancy-Poster GAF thread ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441170 ) and previously did the Paprika ( http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/Celzero/IMG959114_zps2c83bfc5.jpg ) and Metal Gear Solid Commissions ( http://ashthorp.tumblr.com/post/72114494519/here-is-the-gray-fox-print-final-art-there-will ) there.

How to enter to win a poster:

1. Send me a PM with the answer to the following: Kaga Koko or Hayashida Nana? (deadline 3/26/2014).
2. Post a series review after the series finale airs next Thursday in this forum and pm me with the link.

There will be one winner from each category.

I also hope to do a Toradora commission in the future, in order to complement Golden Time.

Here are the winners of the two posters!

1. Thoraxes
2. firehawk12

Congrats!!! I hope to do one for Toradora! down the line as well. Until then!

Quasar

Seitokai Yakuindomo fin

Anyway, perhaps I'm in the minority now, but I still quite enjoy the show for what it is. As a sitcom, I like the jokes and a lot of their delivery (this episode got a few laughs out of me) and that's all I can really ask for in a comedy.

I hope they find a way to do more, whether that means OADs or another eason. Either way, I will miss girls going wild. I guess it's back to blushing and handholding as the defacto anime standard for romance now. lol

I'm surprised they actually put what seems like a hard stop. Didn't expect that given the knowledge of the manga still going. Though I guess they could just fast forward to being in college together.

I liked its sitcom nature...just that I wanted more of an underlying story I think.

Any hype it gets is for the VN, which isn't half bad. It still has some retarded shit like "you can only save her with your penis", and all the harem portions, and the imouto/taiga sections. I didn't mind that the little sister when she was serious, but then she goes all ONII-CHAN and I just... no. And I never liked Taiga. She was there as a constant reminder that this had a lighter high school harem aspect.

Hopefully the Ufotable FSN combines the darkest shit of all three paths into one.

As to the anime, people die if they are killed. Also yes wrong show. Fate Zero is the one people always dick ride.

The order is Fate/Zero > Fate Stay Night VN > Everything else in the FSN universe/continuity >>>>>>>>>>> FSN anime

WTF is this???????????

Tohka is undisputed second best girl.

And this is coming from a fellow Kurumi fan.
Kidding aside, I don't have any real dislike for Tohka, other than her being main girl rather than Kurumi. Hell, I still haven't watched DAL, I don't have strong opinions on any of the characters that don't have heterochromia.

cajunator

Banned

Fate Zero is the popular one. FSN in its time was fairly popular but has been effectively replaced by FZ.

In fact, Japanese homosexual fantasies usually end in one of two ways: a tragic romantic finale where the two are forever separated, or a pseudo-exile where the two are forced to leave their homes and society to find somewhere more accepting.

He must not have read any decent doujins.

To love ru did better than that, but its didn't help at all when the series struggling at WSJ polling (which Nisekoi currently in bottom of ToC almost on every week) and got cut, before continuing as monthly serialization.

Only reason TLR got cut was because Yabuki sensei had to end it early during the situation with his then wife.

It had nothing to do with polls.

I was thinking... what a weird thing is Anime.

In one hand, you have tons of fanservice as a staple of anime
iJcVGWC1Yfsdf.gif

In the other hand, another staple of anime is super-beta, wuss type of characters that are allergic to women.
PnDg0l.jpg

You would think that, if anime creators are trying to make a male fantasy with all that fanservice, they would go all the way and make characters that aren't stupid and are normal teenagers (i.e. they want to touch and kiss girls, instead of thinking "wahh indirect kissu!" when they share a drink), but no, they somehow create the most innocent possible males.
I always remember when the MC of Another daydreams him and the girl dancing together while being ignored by their class. Yep, exactly what a male teenager daydreams about the girl he likes...

Narag

Can't help but think the audience for those kinds of shows don't give two shits what the male MC is like but what the variety of girls are.

It's either wuss main character or oblivious fuck or really perverted fuck who will fuck the first thing that moves. That's why when somebody makes an anime with a main male character that isn't one of these but a competent romantic lead, people praise it.

And looking at MAL, it has a average of 7.77 so I'm not sure its as universally hated as some think.

Universally hated by people who know better and aren't going to MAL to ask

"R der mor anime like SAO? With romanz and action"

"No d00d i looked, SAO is liek unique and super awesome but watch Inuyasha dat good 2"

Mature

You would think that, if anime creators are trying to make a male fantasy with all that fanservice, they would go all the way and make characters that aren't stupid and are normal teenagers (i.e. they want to touch and kiss girls, instead of thinking "wahh indirect kissu!" when they share a drink), but no, they somehow create the most innocent possible males.
I always remember when the MC of Another daydreams him and the girl dancing together while being ignored by their class. Yep, exactly what a male teenager daydreams about the girl he likes...
The MC going all the way with a girl would break the self-insert illusion.

cajunator

Banned
Kidding aside, I don't have any real dislike for Tohka, other than her being main girl rather than Kurumi. Hell, I still haven't watched DAL, I don't have strong opinions on any of the characters that don't have heterochromia.

Im still amazed that you love Kurumi so much but havent watched the show (she shows up in episode 7 I think)

Can't help but think the audience for those kinds of shows don't give two shits what the male MC is like but what the variety of girls are.

Yeah thats how I watch those shows. The MC might as well be invisible.

People wonder why SAO is like ultimate male fantasy. Fucker doesn't even try and all the women just fall for him and he goes and hooks up with one and then everybody wants his dick even more.

IT'S SO HARD BEING THE VERY BEST.

As to harems/romances, I watch them in hopes they'll have development so of course I care about whether the MC is a wuss or not.

cnet128

Banned
The order is Fate/Zero > Fate Stay Night VN > Everything else in the FSN universe/continuity >>>>>>>>>>> FSN anime

You missed Prisma Illya right over at the left hand side of that ranking.

...I can say this with complete confidence even though I still haven't seen even one of the series involved yet, lol.

Mushishi 23

That was a nice story. Happy endings continue to please me, although this one certainly had me scared for a moment with the whole
falling from a cliff
thing.
I honestly thought the show might have just killed her off, which would have been the ultimate troll bad end. A completely solvable problem, but thanks to one stupid misstep the cute romance turns to tragedy and the entire village can never be healed. Yeah, that would have sucked.

What route do you think Ufotable are going for in Fate/ Stay Night, the Heavens Route.
And also as much as I like Saber I hope they go for Rin.

Hidamari Sketch x 365 - 1-13

What I liked most about this second season was how assured it felt compared to the first. Right from the get-go the production values were noticeably improved and the use of pattern backgrounds and dot shading were more visually consistent. Moreover, the show seemed like it was trying to break the formula of the first by attempting to do much more with its side characters and episodes. Unlike the first season, there are numerous character specific episodes, origin episodes, more fleshed out side characters, and waaay more sawashiro. All of which, I would say, were handled rather successfully resulting in a more well-rounded, livelier show fitting of its new OP. An improvement in every way.

In one hand, you have tons of fanservice as a staple of anime
iJcVGWC1Yfsdf.gif

In the other hand, another staple of anime is super-beta, wuss type of characters that are allergic to women.
PnDg0l.jpg

Seems like you need to watch something like highschool dxd
Fanservice + a main characters that isn't shy around females

Quasar

Universally hated by people who know better and aren't going to MAL to ask

"R der mor anime like SAO? With romanz and action"

"No d00d i looked, SAO is liek unique and super awesome but watch Inuyasha dat good 2"

I suppose I should have expected anti-MAL hate (and ammusingly my MAL friendlist, who is mostly AnimeGAFers seems to have averaged at around 7, with 5 being the lowest). Though checking other places (Hummingbird, Anime-Planet) it seems its not out of line with those. Not that I'm endorsing those ratings (3.6/5 on hummingbird; 4/5 on AnimePlanet), though as I've said before I liked it (gave it a 6 on MAL).

Gbraga

Crunchyroll lists up to episode 12 for season 1 and 13 for season 2 for Oreimo, but I'm reading talks of Episode 16? Would those be the OVAs?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Waaaaaaaat? Watch it. Like, asap.

CorvoSol

Son this is a medium in which a historical scientist tries to hook up a girl with the wrong guy to bend fate to his will so he can win a giant robot battle and where card games can get you killed by demon dragons and that's just the surface.

cnet128

Banned
Crunchyroll lists up to episode 12 for season 1 and 13 for season 2 for Oreimo, but I'm reading talks of Episode 16? Would those be the OVAs?

The episode 12 of Oreimo S1 that aired on TV is an anime-original ending which plays out a little differently from the canon events. There's also a separate Episode 12 labelled "True Route" which is the canon version of the same events, and the S1 OVA episodes 13-15 continue directly on from that.

Then S2 continues on from the end of the S1 OVA events, and has its own set of three OVA episodes at the end to finish the story.

I suppose I should have expected anti-MAL hate (and ammusingly my MAL friendlist, who is mostly AnimeGAFers seems to have averaged at around 7, with 5 being the lowest). Though checking other places (Hummingbird, Anime-Planet) it seems its not out of line with those. Not that I'm endorsing those ratings (3.6/5 on hummingbird; 4/5 on AnimePlanet), though as I've said before I liked it (gave it a 6 on MAL).

I don't hate on MAL, that's the database [database living in the database] I use and it's very useful to add anime to my list. I just find the forum community very... anime fan stereotypy. Like a bunch of western kids trying to act otaku.

You know when they use words like

"Oh this episode was amazing-desu, the imouto is so kawaii* desu-ne <(^_^)>!!!!"

*Translator's note: Kawaii means cute in Japanese

Whenever somebody talks like that I think they all look and act like this

edit: OH MY FUCKING GOD. NOW THAT I'VE SEEN THE ANIME I RECOGNIZE THE SONG.

NO. MY IMMERSION. FUCK YOU.

Gazoinks

Mushishi 18

A sweet episode with a completely happy ending and even some humor?
Well I mean I guess the guy's family died, but he got over it and ended up happy! Go painter guy!
This just means the next one's going to be darker doesn't it.

CorvoSol

I don't hate on MAL, that's the database [database living in the database] I use and it's very useful to add anime to my list. I just find the forum community very... anime fan stereotypy. Like a bunch of western kids trying to act otaku.

"Oh this episode was amazing-desu, the imouto is so kawaii* desu-ne <(^_^)>!!!!"

Whenever somebody talks like that I think they all look and act like this

edit: OH MY FUCKING GOD. NOW THAT I'VE SEEN THE ANIME I RECOGNIZE THE SONG.

NO. MY IMMERSION. FUCK YOU.

I want a podcast now so I can make translators note jokes about things people are saying.

Hidamari Sketch x 365 - 1-13

What I liked most about this second season was how assured it felt compared to the first. Right from the get-go the production values were noticeably improved and the use of pattern backgrounds and dot shading were more visually consistent. Moreover, the show seemed like it was trying to break the formula of the first by attempting to do much more with its side characters and episodes. Unlike the first season, there are numerous character specific episodes, origin episodes, more fleshed out side characters, and waaay more sawashiro. All of which, I would say, were handled rather successfully resulting in a more well-rounded, livelier show fitting of its new OP. An improvement in every way.
These posts really warm my heart~

I want a podcast now so I can make translators note jokes about things people are saying.

*Translator's note: Corvo is referencing to the Translator Note style of subbing that spawned in popularity due to the Death Note scene where Light Yagami says 'just according to Keikaku**'

**Translator's note: Keikaku means plan***

***Translator's note: help I can't escape****

****Translator's note: KILL ME

Gazoinks

*Translator's note: Corvo is referencing to the Translator Note style of subbing that spawned in popularity due to the Death Note scene where Light Yagami says 'just according to Keikaku**'

The worst part of watching Gintama is the translator notes.

*Note: Arley Davidson refers to Harley Davidson

I AM AWARE THANK YOU.

Quasar

Kind of makes me wish for the equivalent of pop up videos on anime.

cnet128

Banned
Mushishi 18

A sweet episode with a completely happy ending and even some humor?
Well I mean I guess the guy's family died, but he got over it and ended up happy! Go painter guy!
This just means the next one's going to be darker doesn't it.

I would answer this question, but that would spoil the experience.

And that would be awful.

Quasar

Though having just read a certain chapter of the manga Koibana Onsen I'm pretty amused.

And sure I separate the forums from the database. It obviously attracts a certain minority of the community. Just like any site that has a community forum, it does not reflect the whole userbase of said product.

CorvoSol

Translator's notes were fairly helpful when watching Higurashi, though. Usually for explaining concepts that were more distinctly Japanese and which one word approximations might not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom