• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Giant Robo final thoughts

So this series was a treat, guys. Like, I really, really enjoyed it. Imagawa does a great job directing Super Robot series. He's practically a king of escalation of intensity in these kinds of shows. The mechanical animations were superb, with this glorious indulgence in places and rings and cords and bolts and nuts which sometimes didn't even need to be there but were anyway.

Like Shin Mazinger Z, Imagawa seems to draw from multiple unrelated sources to craft the story. In this case we had a bunch of samurai running around in a giant robot story with a kid who looks like Mega Man in short pants. There were so many awesome, heroic sacrifice movements throughout the work, too. I dunno what it is but nobody gets my eye juice flowing like Imagawa does. Whether it be G Gundam, Shin Mazinger Z or Giant Robo, dude always wrings my eyes dry.

Episode 5 was my favorite, I think. Tetsukyu has this ridiculously manly moment where he confronts Ginya that put me in goosebumps. Episode 7 is a close second, though. There were so many ridiculously cool points there, from
Shocking Alberto's return
to Daisaku deciding to actually pilot Robo. Ginya's
breakdown after discovering he'd murdered his sister and completely misunderstood his father's vision
was amazing, and Frenchie McFrench dude was hilarious the whole way through.

Like Shin Z, though, Giant Robo ended on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. Kinda tears my heart out. I need me some more Imagawa after that ride, though. If you're a fan of giant robots and haven't seen Giant Robo yet, I recommend this one for sure. Excellent show.

and thats why google safe search is always on when looking at images. I remember the time when I searched xaolin showdown on google images when I was younger. Sometimes I hate the internet.

cnet128

Banned
And now for something completely different!

Love Live! 1

It's depressing how much better this show looks than Wake Up, Girls in the visuals department. And of course it has a few hundred times more cheerfulness and positivity, but that's to be expected. Not every idol anime can be gritty cynical idol anime.

Also, these girls could teach the Sakura Trick cast a thing or two. If you don't like your school getting shut down, STOP it from getting shut down! Yeah!

CorvoSol

I mean I had an inkling that it was sexual, google just confirmed it. The part of "usually between people of the same sex" meant that indeed it is :DTL

Once upon a time, instead of using & or x to indicate a pairing people used /. Since all fanfiction is written by 14 year old girls who are deeply into yaoi, / became most commonly associated with that. Therefore "slash" came to be the slang for yaoi fanfics.

I know this because I read it online and definitely not because I hail from a bygone era in which fanfiction was a popular thing on the internet.

Once upon a time, instead of using & or x to indicate a pairing people used /. Since all fanfiction is written by 14 year old girls who are deeply into yaoi, / became most commonly associated with that. Therefore "slash" came to be the slang for yaoi fanfics.

I know this because I read it online and definitely not because I hail from a bygone era in which fanfiction was a popular thing on the internet.

rT5GiJ4.jpg

Birds of A Feather Fornicate Together- A fictional tale of lost love by Corvo.

Link Man

Banned
Toradora 25

Well, that felt like manufactured drama, all for nothing more than toying with the emotions of the viewer. I mean, what was the point of all that?

The rest of the show was pretty good, though. But the ending really sours the experience.

Since when has pixiv had this upgraded comment system that lets you use a reaction image sticker if you're too lazy to actually type out a response? Somehow I only just noticed it now...
For a couple months now, on some popular artists's new work there's usually about a dozen of the nosebleed girls in a row and it's hilarious.

Link Man

Banned
Toradora FINAL VERDICT

This was an enjoyable show, with cute characters and situations. It was also an exercise in frustration, and relied way too much on emotional whiplash. The characters were really well-developed, though, so you almost felt like you knew them and could occasionally understand their motivations. Overall, I'd recommend it if you like slice-of-life or romance with a dash of comedy, but don't expect to find it satisfying overall. It's pretty much the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. of anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does that make Ryuuji the Chandler Bing of anime??

Midonin

To Heart 05-07

ga5hQeal.jpg

American modernism!

One thing I've noticed in this first handful of episodes is that the end of episode narrations are delivered by Akari instead of Hiroyuki. While he's at the center of events, she's sharing protagonist duties, and I can appreciate that. Of the girls intro'd today, I like Rio a little more than Kotone with her clumsy nature, though Kotone having psychic powers is already a sign that this world isn't quite the normal high school life it appears to be. It mostly is, but there are a few wrinkles of the extraordinary.

I've seen plenty of sports festival episodes, and this one was pretty enjoyable. The main characters don't win, but it's an admirable effort at least. Everything is familiar, but it's not bad. It's almost certain the director's chosen the Akari route for this one, because going with someone other than the main girl is a rarity. (Or going with nobody.)

PjPylDD.png

Need to do a write-up for the series. I have tears in my eyes, what a great heart-warming show. Two episodes in particular are just impossible to not cry on.

I would like to have cat like Nyanko sensei. How great it would be to drink booze with your cat. Not to mention that he could transform to cute girl. Damn.

Theonik

Kaiji S2 13-26 -END-
Yeah I stand by my "The Bog" assessment. It took them 6 fucking episodes or more to actually get any shit done after this screenshot was taken and the actual fight took even longer. The last few episodes were just PAIN. AWESOME pain mind you but pain nonetheless.
And maaaaaaaaaaaaan I can't believe how Kaiji even does this shit. How does he end up like that at the end how?!
He even lost his last 600k on pachinko in a night? You have got to be shitting me.

So yeah, S1 made its point about gambling a lot better I feel and having all this end like it did kinda feels like a pisstake at this point. So S1 > S2. And did Kaiji ever tell
Ishihara how his father met his doom?

Moonphase 12-14
The fight with Kinkel was pretty exciting.
A vampire without the obvious weakness to the sun is a very interesting fight.
Hazuki's special skill being a daywalker is neat and Elfriede becoming a part of the regular cast is very good.
The two personalities melding is kind of confusing. Man i forgot that Kouhei so dumbly said that it was a favor. At the very least say she your friend.

Narag

Hyouka 5

Extremely satisfying arc conclusion. So many great things in there too like the librarian's life being counted backwards or the student protest flashbacks. Also that pun really was super lame but holy shit did it work in context. :lol

I'd say I wish I'd watched this earlier but I think I did right by waiting for the right mood to sit down and give it a chance. Lovely show so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom