• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
So is Mushishi likely going to require S1 knowledge?

It doesn't require S1 knowledge, because all the episodes in Mushishi are essentially stand-alone stories.

However, you would be making a huge mistake if you decided not to watch S1 because it's amazing.

CorvoSol

Nagisa's parents are the best characters in the whole show. Literally the only reason one would ever theoretically choose her is to have her parents as in-laws.

As to your comments on a huge cast, most characters don't play a prominent role. Clannad has the guy, the blonde douche, and the girls surrounding them as the main players and truly the only ones that matter. Clannad AS focuses on even less characters. Shame you hate huge casts though, as some of the greater shows have expansive casts. Gintama for example, but to keep it western there's also the Simpsons.

The problem I have with larger casts is that it tends to spread character development and relationships too far. Gundam does this way too often and it can really backfire when you're suddenly left trying to keep track of a thousand unimportant characters. 00's greatest sin was perhaps this. It just kept introducing characters and I never knew who was important and who wasn't and it detracted significantly from developing the characters of the Meister's without really adding anything in return.

This is why shows with smaller or more tightly knit casts appeal to me: because character development is clearer, a hierarchy of characters is evident, and because it's easier to keep track of 4 or 7 main characters than it is 27 or 30.

I should like to point out at this time that I abandoned the Simpsons years ago, but having 25 years to develop your cast is significantly different from having 25 episodes to do it.

Quasar

I doubt many people here have watched Korra. That said, Pierrot did some good work. Mir did a much better job though.

Mir is a great studio as a whole. They couldn't work on all of Season 2 as Mir was working on another show at the time(Boondocks S4?). Mir to my understanding is doing all of S3 and S4.

I watched and liked season 1, even despite never watching Avatar. Really need to make time to watch more of Korra. This season might be it with how little anime seems interesting to me.

Quasar

It doesn't require S1 knowledge, because all the episodes in Mushishi are essentially stand-alone stories.

However, you would be making a huge mistake if you decided not to watch S1 because it's amazing.

I watched a few a few months back, just that I never got around to watching it all.

Jintor

I watched and liked season 1, even despite never watching Avatar. Really need to make time to watch more of Korra. This season might be it with how little anime seems interesting to me.

Korra is okay (ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh) but ATLA is truly godlike, though they don't quite stick the landing.

The problem I have with larger casts is that it tends to spread character development and relationships too far. Gundam does this way too often and it can really backfire when you're suddenly left trying to keep track of a thousand unimportant characters. 00's greatest sin was perhaps this. It just kept introducing characters and I never knew who was important and who wasn't and it detracted significantly from developing the characters of the Meister's without really adding anything in return.

This is why shows with smaller or more tightly knit casts appeal to me: because character development is clearer, a hierarchy of characters is evident, and because it's easier to keep track of 4 or 7 main characters than it is 27 or 30.

I should like to point out at this time that I abandoned the Simpsons years ago, but having 25 years to develop your cast is significantly different from having 25 episodes to do it.

Oh I by no means still watch the Simpsons besides the occasional episode. But I guess that's true. If your issue is to have a huge cast list with a small amount of episodes, then if you ever get to something like Gintama that's not an issue since it has 200+ episodes.

Dresden

Korra was way better than Avatar.

homerwhy.png

Midonin

The other Thursday show I haven't seen is Akuma no Riddle. I wonder who's going to pick that one up. From the vibe I'm getting (assassins, dark action), it feels like the kind of thing Funimation would want. But CR's gotten shows like that too, so it's anybody's game.

CorvoSol

Why are you spoiler-tagging Stands?

Is this spoiler culture?

Isn't this the first episode of a new show that just aired today? I know I'm like the last person to the JoJo party but I thought that that was sort of a big change from last season and worth marking since, again, first episode of a new show?

I get that the manga is old but I figured that maybe there were people like me who didn't know and didn't want to be spoiled on an episode that came out today. I got chewed out for posting gifs from a fight in GBF the day it aired, so I figured I would not repeat this mistake today.

jgminto

I'm surprised that there are any people that know of Jojo but not of Stands. It's THE thing of the series.

So is Mushishi likely going to require S1 knowledge?

I'd recommend watching the first season. You could probably get by but there will be a few references here and there.

Nordicus

It's the Sakura Trick problem. The author has no idea what the character is supposed to be, other than a "trap" who is inexplicably haunted by a girl ghost.
What, visually represented manifestation of the female/feminine labeled parts of his id? (apologies for butchering psychology)

I honestly think comparing to Sakura Trick might be pushing it a bit
I was fine with Hato. Hell that was my favourite part of Nidaime and I liked it overall.
Same.

Welp. There goes me ever recommending Fairy Tail to you again. That show has a HUGE cast of colorful characters that I love.

I honestly love shows with lots of characters. The more characters you have, the more you can develop the world they live in. I love a show that has good world-building.

Kansoku

蟲師 続章 - 1

I love the new OP. Really chill and fitting.
As for the episode, a good introductory episode. The use of music was great in the scene they were preparing to fill their flask. Everything is still great.

I am so sorry I offended the fucking spoiler police. Lock me up and throw me in
jail.

You're such a giant piece of sh
ampoo

Korra was way better than Avatar. IN MY OPINION.

God I can't believe people in here got me to watch that dredge.

I need to hear your reasoning as to why, because love angst, shitty first season ending, shitty half second season and full retard ending to season 2 do not a better a show make for me.

New shows time woo!

Mushishi S2 - 1

This show is really the best and it's really an exemplary example of how an episodic series can and should be handled. It just gives you a feeling of having been thrown into a living, breathing world that reveals just a little bit of its mystery with every episode.

The start of season 2 fits neatly with the tone and narrative that we've come to expect from Mushi-shi - it's that tranquil step into the unknown and the equal parts wonder and fear that comes with a world that ends up much larger and more rich than initially thought. Welcome back.

selector infected - 1

It's a card game show with production values that put it above most card game shows, pretty much what I got out of the first episode at least. Though there are definitely some surface side comparisons to be made between this and Black Rock Shooter (with one character in particular looking like it was stripped straight from BRS) selector seems to be pushing more of a closer relationship between person and alternate reality persona than BRS ever bothered with. I was actually surprised with the presentation values here as well, again the art style and general production values don't make it seem like something you'd find in this genre but it (and creepy dream sequence) is definitely enough for me to be interested enough to continue on with the series.

My only nitpick is the hilarious battle sequence in which protagonist takes a totally incomprehensible set of instructions and just starts kicking ass 2 seconds into her first battle against someone seemingly far more experienced. Shounen gonna shounen.

7cWwSov.gif

JOJO Pt 3 - 1

Joseph getting the plot device ability.
:(

Mushishi S2 - 1
This episode and the recent OVA special are great signs that Nagahama and co. at Artland haven't skipped a beat with bringing this series back close to a decade later. This worked well as an introductory without feeling like it was bogged down by retreading ideas that we've already seen. The music is still as top notch as I remember it was. I also like the hatching that their using for shading characters, which I don't remember being used much before.

And that new OP! I was incredibly giddy when it started playing. Can't stop listening to it.

Jojo's Part 3 - 1
As someone that knows quite a bit about the franchise and its characters through games, a handful of episodes from the recent anime, and internet osmosis, this is really entertaining finally understanding the context of this part. It's all as appropriately goofy and fabulous as I'd imagined but with an added humor that's clicking for me. Really fun episode.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You're such a giant piece of sh
ampoo

I need to hear your reasoning as to why, because love angst, shitty first season ending, shitty half second season and full retard ending to season 2 do not a better a show make for me.

I was never a fan of Avatar. I thought Korra was a much more realistic character than Aang. I'm not really a fan of either show but I did not enjoy my time with Avatar in the slightest.

Also what SDBurton said.

Jex

Spoilers for Kill la KIll - The whole show!

I warned you!

SPOILERZZZ

So, as I've mentioned over in the Kill la Kill OT, I've been flicking back and forth through the series and noting points where it appears that, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, the story underwent a re-write from the original vision. I only originally picked up on this because people mentioned that there were a few dangling plot points left over from the Nudist Beach storyline but, upon closer inspection, these seemed to point towards a more fundamental change.

I've recently come upon some more evidence of this. Take the first scene from the third episode, where Satsuki is reflecting to herself (this is pretty important) about the first time she laid eyes on Junketsu. Once again, this is just her reflecting by herself:

But later on, in episode 18, this scene gets revisited as Satsuki explains it to Ragyo:

These two flashbacks are mutually exclusive. In the first, Satsuki is reflecting upon her childlike innocence and how, after first seeing Junketsu, she was really excited to wear it. This longing appears to have gone on for some time as referenced by the "I yearned for it single mindedly". Finally, Satsuki reflects on her innocence and naivety.

None of this matches with the second flashback, where it's explicitly stated that the moment she saw Junketsu her father told her about the horrors that would await the wearer of the item, and about the task that she would then have to undertake. None of this matches with the "ignorant little girl" in the first flashback at all, suggesting that this scene was changed to fit the later developments in the writing of the show.

Another thing to note about this scene is how Satsuki's father is portrayed in episode 3 and episode 18. While you can't see his face in episode 3, from the back he's clearly not the same design based on his hairstyle alone. Moreover, in episode 3 he's some guy in a fancy suit. In episode 18 they re-draw him in to include a Revocs logo because they've made him into a scientist to fit the story, so it wouldn't make sense for him to be wearing a standard suit.

CorvoSol

Can anyone tell me if Yamato has a warm up period? Or if I wasn't too keen on the first episode is it all more of the same after that?

Gazoinks

Spoilers for Kill la KIll - The whole show!

Oh wow, some really good catches here. I hadn't even thought about the reiteration of this particular plot point. I'd really like Trigger to talk about their original plans for the show at some point.

Can anyone tell me if Yamato has a warm up period? Or if I wasn't too keen on the first episode is it all more of the same after that?

Give it till ep 3 at least. It only really gets going when the ship launches at the end of 2.

I was never a fan of Avatar. I thought Korra was a much more realistic character than Aang. I'm not really a fan of either show but I did not enjoy my time with Avatar in the slightest.

Also what SDBurton said.

Shame, considering that the first season has amazing characters.

We all know who the protagonist of Korra should be.

4toejG5.gif

NUCK-TUCKITY!

oL20xeh.gif

Once the ship takes off. I believe episode 1 and 2 are still in earth, then episode 3 onward it's when it turns into Battle Star Trek Galactica.

Also it has Kodai with his waifu. OTP.

Jex

I really want to know what the original Kill la Kill story was.

If there's one thing that re-watching this show has taught me, apparently you can completely change key-plot points in a series and no-one will notice if it's been like 13 weeks since they came up!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

What didn't you like about it? It starts out a bit slow but it's pretty consistent all the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom