• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that 90% of the shows I care about still aren't announced for spring. Guess this means I cans safely ignore most says of the week outside of friday and sunday until my shows get announced.

CorvoSol

Not making a new thread means I have no idea what's new this season is what it means. I'm only just finding out that JoJo's has resumed.

CorvoSol

That just sounds like you haven't been paying attention.

I haven't. Because I normally expect there to be this helpful list of pictures and summaries when a new season begins which I can peruse and select shows I think I might like. It's neat, organized, and saves me from having to read news stories about shows I don't even know if I'll want to watch.

And I'm certain there are others who rely on that summary post at the beginning of a new season to make their choices as well.

Articalys

I feel like not making a new thread makes these threads even more insular than they were before.
Well, once the OP gets all the new show info overviews in there, if we just change the thread title to "Spring (formerly Winter)" and change the subtitle too it should get attention.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only thing good about this is Eva-style intertitles.
So the ending was right, the flash animator really is shit!

Genshiken Nidaime 2

Aah, Yajimacchi's getting on Hato's case for crossdressing and for being better than her in a lot of things she cares about. I also find it rather funny how it looks like the main cast shrunk 3 feet whenever an average build or heavier guy appears in the show.

And so it begins!
http://i.imgur.com/HYlpXFU.jpg

Anything's good when it's Genshiken
The problem with Nidaime is that it has this gender-queer character that they have absolutely no idea what they're doing with.

Theonik

Nichijou 18
ibyDv1EZzZsYof.png

And this screen
Coffee gag v2 good. Princess not being amused good. Rest of the episode I've almost forgotten already. Well except for the tsundere part. That was also good, but that's a given.

Branduil

Well, once the OP gets all the new show info overviews in there, if we just change the thread title to "Spring (formerly Winter)" and change the subtitle too it should get attention.

Sure, but it's still going to be a thread that already has 10,000 posts in it and thus more "intimidating" to people who want to talk about the new season.

The first two Madoka movies are recap of the series right? Am I supposed to watch the Rebellion movie directly? it continues the end of the tv series, or is a continuation of a new continuity of the movies?

Gazoinks

JJBA Stardust Crusaders 1

Woah, animation!

Anyway, good opening episode. Hit the notes that I expected, remained as stylish and faaaabulous as the last season. Minor complaint is Crunchy translating the sound effects. It's not really necessary since they're all just various forms of BAM, and you get the same effect just by them showing up dramatically.

Making us wait a week for the OP and ED is just mean though.

The first two Madoka movies are recap of the series right? Am I supposed to watch the Rebellion movie directly? it continues the end of the tv series, or is a continuation of a new continuity of the movies?

You can just watch Rebellion directly. The first two movies are only recaps that don't add anything new.

You don't want to watch Rebellion. Don't do it. Your soul won't handle it!

e_i

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou episode 1

Best obasan? BEST OBASAN. Uufufufufufufufufufu!

I just wish Satomi Arai could've done the voice. But then the universe would blow up from the awesomeness of it.

survivor

Banned
Kantoku Fuyukitodoki 1
Yeah, I think I just rather read the manga by Moyoco Anno which I should be getting soon. From what I can tell outside of the quick comedic scenes, she wrote few essays which I'm very interested in reading and I think the other Anno contributed as well. And really I don't see how this short flash anime can even show those parts. They will probably stick with the references and quick jokes.

You can just watch Rebellion directly. The first two movies are only recaps that don't add anything new.

You don't want to watch Rebellion. Don't do it. Your soul won't handle it!

In all these months I couldn't avoid all the spoilers, I know that
Homura is evil / goes to the dark side / something bad happens. I just don't know exactly what, how or why.

CorvoSol

I feel like the more people say that Rebellion shouldn't be watched, the more people end up enjoying it.

Those poor misguided souls.

In all honesty the movie was only mildly unnecessary until the end, and then it went into some bad places for no reason. It was still a visually attractive film, though.

phaze

Fate/Stay Night 10-14

Think I'll leave it here when it's on a relatively strong note. No idea who Archer
was supposed to be.

No sign of Gilga or Waver, barely a sighting of Zouken and Kirei. Shame, I'd imagine they're saving at least the latter two for the end string of eps.

cnet128

Banned
selector infected WIXOSS 1

Feels a bit too early to judge this one, but my gut feeling is that I like it. It definitely does feel like it's just begging to be compared to both Gen'ei Taiyou and Fantasista Doll, but at the same time it feels more promising than either of them.

Though this show has clear grimdark elements, it doesn't feel like it's overdoing them and trying too hard in the same way that Gen'ei Taiyou did. It could still go either way - there's no denying that the whole nightmare scene and the weird analogy with the building as a Tetris block ready to annihilate the city felt a bit out there, but they could certainly turn out to be meaningful imagery rather than just weird dark stuff for the sake of it. And unlike Gen'ei Taiyou, the weird dark imagery felt decently balanced with the more laid-back normal life segments, instead of the whole show feeling like one big mess of depression, chaos and obfuscation.

And on the Fantasista Doll side of things, though this show has a similar battling-rivals-using-girls-in-cards setup, it feels a lot more focused, both in terms of the plot feeling like it might actually go somewhere and in terms of each character having one card avatar girl to deal with instead of an entire freaking harem. In fact, that's something this show seems to have over both Fantasista and Gen'ei - both of those shows piled on more characters than they knew what to do with right from the very start, whereas this one so far seems to be restricting itself to a cast it can actually handle.

Also Tama is really really cute. Like, wow. Cajun get over here.

In fact, I like the character designs in general so far. The human designs feel very restrained and very much in the "realistic" end of the scale, but nevertheless cute, distinctive and pleasant to look at. Come to think of it, that's another difference from Fantasista Doll, where frankly the human characters wouldn't have looked out of place as Dolls themselves - here there's a much clearer distinction between the down-to-earth human girls and the fantastical avatar girls. And, uh, did I mention that Tama is adorable? Because she really is.

So yeah, the show looks good all round. What's going to make or break it is the actual plot. And though it's too soon to say whether that's going to be good or bad, it certainly has potential. The character introductions so far have been well handled, and the concept of the game, where winning enough times gets you the power to make your dreams come true but losing three times means you're out of the game forever, certainly has potential for some decent drama. It makes me think of things like Madoka and Accel World in the sense that there's a community of "chosen" people out there who would probably get along with one another if not for the tension caused by their need to compete for limited resources. And in the fact that an individual loss isn't necessarily the end of the world, but definitely something to be avoided if at all possible.

jgminto

Yessssssss. This is already so awesome. It did the tone of the intro so much better than the OVA. The animation is better than almost everything from the first season already and it's just so damn freaking stylish! It's everything I want from a full adaption.

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic TSR 01

Not a bad start. Everyones established so we get right into a mission.
The enemy has upped the ante and seems to have their shit together.
No sign of the terrorist from the first series. But is he really dead?
Dontl ike the OP/ED of this series but oh well.

duckroll

Yessssssss. This is already so awesome. It did the tone of the intro so much better than the OVA. The animation is better than almost everything from the first season already and it's just so damn freaking stylish! It's everything I want from a full adaption.

Yeah I think the tone is the biggest thing. Instead of trying to make some serious and cool Jojo by cutting out the silly humor and trying to make stuff "feel" more grounded, they're just adapting Jojo as it is, with all the over the top humor and stuff. It's great. The action also feels much more dynamic and exciting than what the second set of OVAs did for the same material.

Fate/Stay Night 10-14

Think I'll leave it here when it's on a relatively strong note. No idea who Archer
was supposed to be.

No sign of Gilga or Wawer, barely a sighting of Zouken and Kirei. Shame, I'd imagine they're saving at least the latter two for the end string of eps.

I wish she hadn't gone into full onii-chan brother complex mode. I hope they fix that in the new ufotable anime. I know Ufotable doesn't want to take full creative liberties but it wouldn't hurt to tone down the brother loving.

But then again having seen Kara no Kyokai, they probably will but not to the extent I want.

Somebody needs to do a PSA for otakus titled 'real relationships with older/little sisters: why you're a sick bastard'

Crocodile

Mushi-shi Season 2 Episode 1

It's been so long since I'd seen season 1 that I don't remember a lot of specifics but just general feelings and positive impressions. This was a great reintroduction of sorts. I thought the middle dragged a bit as the outsider perspective seemed a bit overemphasized, but the overall message, father-son interaction and world-building just made me happy in a way I can't really explain. Good to have this show back :)

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Episode 1

The Joestar family has a way of stealing the limelight regardless of whichever generation it is and where they are. I LOL'd when the policeman complimented Holly's Japanese - a comment that only makes sense if the overall narrative was actually in the language that it makes sense to be in, English. Jotaro and Holly's relationship is also super weird. My Mom would straight up punch me in the face if I ever spoke to her like that. Also boy did Joesph pull the short straw when it comes to stands, I just pray he doesn't spend the entire series jobbing or something. It was super fun to have him back though :) I gotta say I'm impressed that the animation was actually respectable and dynamic more often than not - I'm just hoping the production values don't drop through the course of the show. All in all a great 1st episode :)

jgminto

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Episode 1

The Joestar family has a way of stealing the limelight regardless of whichever generation it is and where they are. I LOL'd when the policeman complimented Holly's Japanese - a comment that only makes sense if the overall narrative was actually in the language that it makes sense to be in, English. Jotaro and Holly's relationship is also super weird. My Mom would straight up punch me in the face if I ever spoke to her like that. Also boy did Joesph pull the short straw when it comes to stands, I just pray he doesn't spend the entire series jobbing or something. It was super fun to have him back though :) I gotta say I'm impressed that the animation was actually respectable and dynamic more often than not - I'm just hoping the production values don't drop through the course of the show. All in all a great 1st episode :)
lol, I love that he comments on breaking an expensive camera when he uses it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Fate/Stay Night 10-14

was supposed to be.

No sign of Gilga or Waver, barely a sighting of Zouken and Kirei. Shame, I'd imagine they're saving at least the latter two for the end string of eps.

To find clue on who is Archer, watch episode 1 again

Mr.Jeff

Mushishi - ep1
It's like it's never been away. So good. The restrained use of music is still so amazing in this show.
AotY series. I know there's JoJo and Ping Pong and no doubt other amazing things out this year but goddamn, I love this show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 1:

Ah yes, one of the main events of the Spring 2014 has arrived and it feels good to have Jojo back on the air. That being said, there really isn't much to say about this episode since it does waht a lot of first episodes do, provide a shitton of exposition and backstory. We certainty got our fill of that as it is the dawn of a new age
it is the dawn of the stands and the learning of the revival of Dio and his blood connections to the Jojo dynasty..
Anyway, so this look pretty much like it did last season, although it seems they learned a few CGI dynamic camera tricks that were kind of neat. Now that we have gotten started I look forward to a less fill in the audience experience next episode.

I wish she hadn't gone into full onii-chan brother complex mode. I hope they fix that in the new ufotable anime. I know Ufotable doesn't want to take full creative liberties but it wouldn't hurt to tone down the brother loving.

But then again having seen Kara no Kyokai, they probably will but not to the extent I want.

Somebody needs to do a PSA for otakus titled 'real relationships with older/little sisters: why you're a sick bastard'

Well you have to keep in mind the source material doesn't really help in that aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom