• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Isn't this the first episode of a new show that just aired today? I know I'm like the last person to the JoJo party but I thought that that was sort of a big change from last season and worth marking since, again, first episode of a new show?

I get that the manga is old but I figured that maybe there were people like me who didn't know and didn't want to be spoiled on an episode that came out today. I got chewed out for posting gifs from a fight in GBF the day it aired, so I figured I would not repeat this mistake today.

I can understand the idea behind not wanting to spoil things for others and that is laudable. However in this case, the mere existence of Stands is something that's permeated into the popular culture. Between the original OVA's, the original fighting games, the new fighting games, the trailers for this series which mention/show Stands and the OP of the thread which is dedicated to this new season which mentions Stands, I think it's fair to say that Stands are a known factor. Indeed, the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Series is most famous for it's invention of the Stand, an idea so cool that it can be found all over the place e.g. Blue Dragon, Persona.

Midonin

And CR's also streaming the new Fairy Tail. Don't know what's going on that's causing these Funi/CR doublecasts - especially when there's plenty of other shows that haven't had an announcement yet.

But the more people they can reach, the better.

Edit: Daimidaler, too.

Andrew J.

People used to try to explain continuity errors instead of using them to lord over content creators. You could even win a no-prize from Stan Lee!

Articalys

I'd really like Trigger to talk about their original plans for the show at some point.

I really want to know what the original Kill la Kill story was.
I know he wasn't one of the leads on the show, but Yoshinari's going to be at the Animazement convention in North Carolina at the end of May. He might still know a thing or two about the path production took, and now that the show's complete maybe he'll be able to talk about it... who knows.

Good bit of contradiction hunting by Jexhius as well.

Yonafunu

I really want to know what the original Kill la Kill story was.

I think Senketsu was supposed to have a closer connection to Isshin, maybe have his lifeforce or something. In the final story Senketsu looks just like Isshin because no reason. It went nowhere, not even symbolically. Mohawk Man was totally Ryuko's uncle. I'd also like to think Satsuki would've remained the final antagonist. Aikuro would've been Satsuki's uncle or something, I dunno.

Jex

jex

stop

you don't have to hurt yourself anymore

dota has poisoned your soul :(

Don't worry, I'm not literally watching the show again. I just remembered a point where I imagined there'd be a continuity problem, and I was right! I mean, I can't help it, when I start thinking about stuff that makes no sense I have to write about it.

For example: why do life fibres give you power? This literally makes no sense give their supposed backstory - it actually runs contrary to their plan. Early on it makes sense because Satsuki is making life fibres to create an army and rule her city, so of course they make you strong. The higher the percentage of life fibres, the stronger the outfit! Only Satsuki and Ryouko can wear outfits of 100% life fibre though because it's just too much. Except that, as we're told much later, all clothing used to be 100% life fibre. Argggh it makes no sense!

I have however got a post to write about the 5th episode, but that's for very different reasons.

Soma

Still hoping for a film treatment for Kill la Kill a la the Gurren-Hen movies.

Condensing the plot (maybe showcasing what it was originally) and having a movie-sized budget would do wonders for it I think.

CorvoSol

What didn't you like about it? It starts out a bit slow but it's pretty consistent all the way through.

I kinda was not a fan of the ships. Like I'm CG averse anyway but every space opera I ever watched has lead me to believe battle ships are big and slow and fighters are small and fast so seeing these ships whizz around real fast was kinda wrong in my eyes. Beyond that the episode was mostly just stage setting, which I can appreciate as a first episode, but it didn't feel like there was anything really strong to hook me in.

I can understand the idea behind not wanting to spoil things for others and that is laudable. However in this case, the mere existence of Stands is something that's permeated into the popular culture. Between the original OVA's, the original fighting games, the new fighting games, the trailers for this series which mention/show Stands and the OP of the thread which is dedicated to this new season which mentions Stands, I think it's fair to say that Stands are a known factor. Indeed, the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Series is most famous for it's invention of the Stand, an idea so cool that it can be found all over the place e.g. Blue Dragon, Persona.

I didn't even know what JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was until a month ago. How was I going to know that Stands are some well-known thing?

Soma

I kinda was not a fan of the ships. Like I'm CG averse anyway but every space opera I ever watched has lead me to believe battle ships are big and slow and fighters are small and fast so seeing these ships whizz around real fast was kinda wrong in my eyes. Beyond that the episode was mostly just stage setting, which I can appreciate as a first episode, but it didn't feel like there was anything really strong to hook me in.

That actually improves as the show goes on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Okay, well, that's one thing that never changes. The battleships are just fast enough to dodge lasers when they need to dodge lasers, then move like molasses when they need to be hit. The CG does get better though, or at least, less worse.

cnet128

Banned
JOJO Pt 3 - 1

Joseph getting the plot device ability.
:(

This is clearly a necessary evil because as we all know, Joseph doesn't need any newfangled Stands to kick people's asses.

If his Stand could also kick people's asses, then Jotaro would be obsolete in his own series before he even got started.

Jojo's Part 3 - 1
As someone that knows quite a bit about the franchise and its characters through games, a handful of episodes from the recent anime, and internet osmosis, this is really entertaining finally understanding the context of this part.

If I am understanding this correctly and you haven't watched the whole of Parts 1 and 2, then you are doing it wrong, my friend. Correct this oversight posthaste.

I mean episode 1 and 2 are meant to be watched back to back anyways since they're the same arc, aka the 'prologue'. Give it a few more episodes, but don't judge the show based on the set-up.

That'd be like judging a game based on its tutorial level. As to the physics of the ship, they 'improve' later on, but if you're going to be fighting with one ship you can't exactly have it being super slow considering it's one ship vs a million.

Also they explain later on why the Yamato is so OP in speed and power. The battles are pretty amazing, don't let the little details bother you. Consider the fact it's unanimously loved in here, it must be for a reason.

Gbraga

Oreimo S2 - 12

Why does this show keep making me suffer? WHY??? TT_TT

Kyousuke and Kirino better go nuts together to compensate for all those major losses.

Why does this show make you fall in love with Kuroneko and Ayase and then MURDER THEIR DREAMS? Not even full dere Kirino can make up for it now. And I really love Kirino too, but stop doing this to me, Kyousuke. I guess I have to acknowledge his passion, I'd fall in love with the first to declare to me, I'm like that.

PLEASE LOCALIZE THE OREIMO GAMES, SOMEONE! XSEED PLS?

Jex

I didn't even know what JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was until a month ago. How was I going to know that Stands are some well-known thing?
Even not knowing the history of the series, as I mentioned in my earlier post, they appear in all the promotional material and are even present in the OP of the main thread in Off-Topic.

If I am understanding this correctly and you haven't watched the whole of Parts 1 and 2, then you are doing it wrong, my friend. Correct this oversight posthaste.

Yeah, never got around to watching it in full. I plan to later though. For now, I felt completely comfortable with watching Part 3.

This is clearly a necessary evil because as we all know, Joseph doesn't need any newfangled Stands to kick people's asses.

If his Stand could also kick people's asses, then Jotaro would be obsolete in his own series before he even got started.

I would have been ok with Josephs Bizarre Adventure pt 2

cnet128

Banned
Even not knowing the history of the series, as I mentioned in my earlier post, they appear in all the promotional material and are even present in the OP of the main thread in Off-Topic.

Of course, by that logic you could say practically nothing about Part 3 should be considered spoilers, since many of the most memetic moments of it that everyone and their mother has heard of (including the one referenced in the title of said series OT) are from the very endgame =p

(But yeah, spoiling Stands does seem a bit pointless and I have no idea how Corvo managed to go in knowing nothing about them. That's actually pretty impressive.)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 1

DAT JOJO
I was so taken back by Jotaro calling his own mother a bitch I couldnt help but laugh.
I also thought part 3 took place in the 70s but it looks like it takes place in the 80s, didnt know it was that modern, with that said I cant wait til the second episode and cant wait to see what the Op and ED is!

Dresden

I would have been ok with Josephs Bizarre Adventure pt 2

as we move into the post-part-2 era of JoJo anime adaptations, it's important to keep in mind that the protagonist of each series no longer gets the kind of focus that Joseph or Jonathan did in the first two parts. We'll see this in part 3, where the rest of the cast shines and Jotaro takes on a more background role until the end.

tl;dr version: dudes need to stop worrying about Joseph because Old Joseph rocks

CorvoSol

I haven't seen any of the promo material and I avoid the JoJo's OP because I know I'd get spoiled on something. Everything I know about JoJo I know from what I saw on the show and that's it. I am as unaware of JoJo stuff as someone who watches the show can be. I didn't even know there was an OVA series covering the show until after I'd finished Battle Tendency. I dunno what to say other than that I don't follow anime closely enough to have ever heard of JoJo's until last month.

Andrew J.

FMP The Second Raid 04

See, this is why military communications should be in ciphers as much as practical. And don't let non-essential personnel know your ciphers, either!

Aww, what's the matter? Betraying a super-advanced PMC not going as smoothly as you thought?

Having Sousuke train specifically in using the Lambda Driver is something I thought Mithril would have done by now.

Oreimo S2 - 12

Why does this show keep making me suffer? WHY??? TT_TT

Kyousuke and Kirino better go nuts together to compensate for all those major losses.

Why does this show make you fall in love with Kuroneko and Ayase and then MURDER THEIR DREAMS? Not even full dere Kirino can make up for it now. And I really love Kirino too, but stop doing this to me, Kyousuke. I guess I have to acknowledge his passion, I'd fall in love with the first to declare to me, I'm like that.

PLEASE LOCALIZE THE OREIMO GAMES, SOMEONE! XSEED PLS?

This was the post I was waiting for. All these delicious tears taste even better because
I knew Kirino was going to win from the start.

They still have life counseling at the end so take that as you will.

Gbraga

This was the post I was waiting for. All these delicious tears taste even better because
I knew Kirino was going to win from the start.

They still have life counseling at the end so take that as you will.

I DON'T GET IT MAN,
I was rooting for Kyou X Kirino at first, I loved them and wanted it to happen, but the show makes you fall in love with everyone else while it ignores Kirino and then say HEY FUCK YOU, KIRINO IS BACK, THOSE GIRLS DON'T STAND A CHANCE.

People warned me about incest and whatnot, and I was like "pfff whatever, I like this shit", but I wasn't expecting it hurt me like this.

Still really enjoying it, it's more of a fanboy rant because of my girls. First season was more compelling so far (still need to watch one more episode and the OVAs for season 2), but the second one was also pretty good. Oreimo is great.

....Still really enjoying it, it's more of a fanboy rant because of my girls. First season was more compelling so far (still need to watch one more episode and the OVAs for season 2), but the second one was also pretty good. Oreimo is great.

FzdbTYS.gif

I DON'T GET IT MAN,
I was rooting for Kyou X Kirino at first, I loved them and wanted it to happen, but the show makes you fall in love with everyone else while it ignores Kirino and then say HEY FUCK YOU, KIRINO IS BACK, THOSE GIRLS DON'T STAND A CHANCE.

People warned me about incest and whatnot, and I was like "pfff whatever, I like this shit", but I wasn't expecting it hurt me like this.

Still really enjoying it, it's more of a fanboy rant because of my girls. First season was more compelling so far (still need to watch one more episode and the OVAs for season 2), but the second one was also pretty good. Oreimo is great.

Yep. You should have seen the outrage while it was airing. Hilarious.

Edit: Also you said OreImo is great. Prepare for backlash.

You know what the best part of Oreimo was?

When
the brother didn't see his sister as anything more than a sister and dated one of her friends and was super in love with her

You want to know what the worst part of the series is?
everything that happened post-break up with the friend

Seriously. Fuck you creators. You sick bastards.

Gbraga

Telling it like it is.

BROS FOR LIFE

You know what the best part of Oreimo was?

When
the brother didn't see his sister as anything more than a sister and dated one of her friends and was super in love with her

You want to know what the worst part of the series is?
everything that happened post-break up with the friend

Seriously. Fuck you creators. You sick bastards.

TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEEEHIIIIIIIIIIIIND

Kirino da best.

I would agree if I was still on season 1 before the OVAs, but Kuroneko really, REALLY messed with my heart.

I don't even know anymore. I became vulnerable due to this internal dispute and Ayase also got her a place there.

It's usually very simple to me to decide which girl is best girl, but Oreimo is hard.

It's a mixture of butthurt and disgust. Like when the doctor is looking for hemorrhoids and makes you his/her plaything. I should've expected it when I first watched the show, but after the development I was all "hey maybe the show won't go down the route I was expecting" and I was pleased. Then LOL NOPE ANIME

Clannad 3

b6gAm3N.png

Tsundad is basically the only character I like so far, but the only actual complaint I came here to make is that this show is introducing way too many characters. I'm not at all a fan of massive casts.

Akio is the best. Good thing his role grows as the show goes on.

And I know there's a lot of people but don't sweat it. Everyone is introduced early in the show but you get to really know them as the show goes on. It won't leave you hanging.

Jarmel

Banned
Don't worry, I'm not literally watching the show again. I just remembered a point where I imagined there'd be a continuity problem, and I was right! I mean, I can't help it, when I start thinking about stuff that makes no sense I have to write about it.

For example: why do life fibres give you power? This literally makes no sense give their supposed backstory - it actually runs contrary to their plan. Early on it makes sense because Satsuki is making life fibres to create an army and rule her city, so of course they make you strong. The higher the percentage of life fibres, the stronger the outfit! Only Satsuki and Ryouko can wear outfits of 100% life fibre though because it's just too much. Except that, as we're told much later, all clothing used to be 100% life fibre. Argggh it makes no sense!

I have however got a post to write about the 5th episode, but that's for very different reasons.

I would love to know what happened in the writing room. Since we'll never find out, it's best to let it go and just say that it was poorly written and Nakashima should have known better.

There are a lot of faults with KLK and they should be laid at the feet of Imaishi and Nakashima.

Andrew J.

FMP The Second Raid 05

The wacky hijinks level is much lower this season. The opening scene felt really perfunctory.

I'm no native speaker, but this Italian sounds...not bad?

Mao's surprisingly good at this espionage/undercover stuff. I'd thought of her as a combat-happy meathead up til now.

Is it just me, or is Sousuke becoming increasingly incompetent even at military communication?

Gate is hanging poolside in an Eastern European winter. Yep.

Sousuke really shouldn't be humoring Chidori like this. She probably wouldn't feel quite as ignored if he just explained he was in the middle of a firefight and that he'd get back to her later instead of dividing his attention.

It's a mixture of butthurt and disgust. Like when the doctor is looking for hemorrhoids and makes you his/her plaything. I should've expected it when I first watched the show, but after the development I was all "hey maybe the show won't go down the route I was expecting" and I was pleased. Then LOL NOPE ANIME

The title of the anime didn't give you a clue?

Gbraga

Took me a minute to get this, heh.

I still have no idea of what it means. >_<

That really surprised me too.
Maybe going in after the complaints makes me biased, but the title, the fact that it starts with Kyousuke wishing he had a kawaii imouto to take care of him like a siscon would and then early on he finding out that he actually does were really huge flags. I mean, it's ok to be surprised that they actually went that far, but to be surprised it's even there?

You know how many shows there are with 'My Little Sister' out there? Either ways this show was watched a while back ago and it helped me keep the fuck away from similar shows. Call it the 'eye opener'.

Onee-chan Ga Kita is the only sister show for me. They managed to take this iffy topic and make it cute/funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom