• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmurphy

Zvezda Plot 11

This is all a thinly-veiled political commentary, isn't it?
I have no knowledge of Japan's national politics.

Looking forward to the battle with the king zombie.

お前はもう死んでいる

Look at the IRC topic maaaan.
Also of course you did I wouldnt' lie to you:

The sequel goes even further. (still haven't done the screens but Soon(TM)

Did you just Fist of the North Star reference me? Nice.

Come on Theoink, you know you like me. Don't be so Tsundere.... ;)

Nafe

I could swear I've seen some. Popularity makes stuff harder to find, I think, especially when there's all sorts of other fetish stuff to clog up a search.

You mean more art of KOSMOS and Telos with the umbrella meme?

See, if you joined twitter you too could embrace the KOS-MOS and Telos art I've been spamming Solune with!

Just PM them to me. ;)

Solune and I should talk more. We haven't really talked much but from his messages that I've read we really seem to be interested in a lot of the same stuff. Almost every time I read one of his posts it's "Solune likes this too?!" kind of reaction,haha. I think he likes Mana Khemia 2 and the only other person here that I know that likes that game is, I think, is RuroniZel.

My comments logged by Nafe. Forever labelled as a deviant due to my :cajun style reaction at blush-faces. Now I'll never be married. :(

Nah, that's innocent and common enough,haha.
It's nothing strange so it doesn't matter to me.

The umbrella meme is really something i can get behind :)

Yeah, most memes I find either aren't funny to begin with or just get run into the ground pretty quick. I like this umbrella one though seeing different people's art or how they can do a couple switching who's blushing and who isn't. It's kind of fun and was surprising how really into it people got.

jman2050

So I thought I'd take a moment to make sure my closing commentary on Princess Tutu was a little more comprehensive than just a silly image. I figure I owe that to Cajun at the very least.

So I felt that it was a very nice show, actually. I enjoyed a fair bit more of it than my grumpy complaining about the lack of ninjas might let on. While I think Mytho wasn't an interesting character in anyway, I did think that Duck, Rue, and especially Drosslemeyer were very interesting.

Well Mytho was basically a walking plot device. Drosselmeyer and the way the story was structured said as much when the show began! I generally don't like characters like this and I certainly don't think Mytho is an interesting character either, but given what the story was trying to do he functions well enough.

Also for posterity's sake, make note of the fact that I made this post months ago. You were warned! Just more evidence that people should always listen to me :p

I also appreciate that they took their theme of ballet and stuck with it in a real way. They demonstrated time and again that ballet isn't easy, that it's really hard work, and that being graceful is a matter of dedication.

I also enjoyed that they chose to use dance as an alternative for combat. I could try to make some silly statement about how I think it meshes neatly with some of the feminist materials I've had to read for school in the sense that dance here is used as an alternative form of communication, expression, and competition to the more masculine concept of battle as such. But I don't really feel comfortable enough to flesh this claim out any further.

Yeah I think personally for me part of the reason this show resonates with me is that I come from sort of a musical background. I think most of all this show did a great job of using music and dance the way it was always supposed to be used: as a method of communicative expression. That applies both in the themes of the work itself and in how the show communicates itself to the audience. The magical girl trappings and other such silliness were just window dressing from my perspective!

I felt that Duck's struggle, however silly the duck-angst bits were, was a sympathetic battle against fate and a struggle between selfishness and selflessness. Like any good show aimed at younger people, I found the coming of age aspect endearing, especially as Duck realized that she could dance and help people to dance without the physical appearance of a graceful princess or a human girl and could be comfortable in who she was and what she was doing.

I liked that it wasn't a story strictly about Duck's struggles in this regard. Fakir and Rue had similar struggles in this regard, and I liked how it was done despite the core message being relatively straightforward.

I note that there was a great deal of commentary on the magical girl/shoujo set up, such as I understand it. The subversions here are, I would think, notably more positive than they were in Utena, but I'm not really certain I could say I grasp them in their fullness because, where I now appreciate Evangelion not as some deep thing but as a subversion of classical Super Robot anime because I am increasingly familiar with classical Super Robot anime, the best I can say is that it seemed to me that Tutu was going to great lengths to comment on Magical Girl/Shoujo anime but since I'm not familiar with the genre at all, I cannot make very specific comments on it.

Yeah I'm no magical girl expert so I feel like some of that was lost on me. On the other hand I never really identified the show as part of that genre as I was watching it anyway, though in retrospect the trappings are incredibly obvious.

Ultimately I think Tutu is a good show. It's got energy, it's quirky, and the cast is memorable enough to carry it on. Misguided or not by false promises of ninjas, if I had to put a finger to my actual dissatisfaction with the series it would only be that "Magical Girls aren't really my thing." Because there wasn't really that much wrong with the show, and I enjoyed and appreciated it for what it was, but at the same time I can't rightly say that what it was was something I would seek to watch more of.

Fair enough, you tried it, you liked it as well as you could have given your genre preferences, that's all I could have asked for. Shame that you got fixated on that misleading image!

elyetis

If we're just going off of VNs that have sex scenes and not eroge being made into hentai:
ef
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
White Album

And a bunch of others I can't name off the top of my head. None of those are yaoi since I have no expertise in the field but you can always ask DTL.
Can also add, Shuffle, Green Green ( i think ), Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru ( had to look up for the name, only remembered the synopsis ). There is still probably more.

Narag

You mean more art of KOSMOS and Telos with the umbrella meme?.

I'm woefully inexperienced in this character pairing department, only familiar with the avatar you rolled with for a while there. I concluded it was The Best™ and looked no further.

cajunator

Banned
Summer of BL, eh? I miss the Winter of Yuri already xp

Well Fujoshis have a right to enjoy anime too. We just got a fair share of yuri so now they get their turn.

INTO MY VEINS

So I thought I'd take a moment to make sure my closing commentary on Princess Tutu was a little more comprehensive than just a silly image. I figure I owe that to Cajun at the very least.

So I felt that it was a very nice show, actually. I enjoyed a fair bit more of it than my grumpy complaining about the lack of ninjas might let on. While I think Mytho wasn't an interesting character in anyway, I did think that Duck, Rue, and especially Drosslemeyer were very interesting.

I also appreciate that they took their theme of ballet and stuck with it in a real way. They demonstrated time and again that ballet isn't easy, that it's really hard work, and that being graceful is a matter of dedication.

I also enjoyed that they chose to use dance as an alternative for combat. I could try to make some silly statement about how I think it meshes neatly with some of the feminist materials I've had to read for school in the sense that dance here is used as an alternative form of communication, expression, and competition to the more masculine concept of battle as such. But I don't really feel comfortable enough to flesh this claim out any further.

I felt that Duck's struggle, however silly the duck-angst bits were, was a sympathetic battle against fate and a struggle between selfishness and selflessness. Like any good show aimed at younger people, I found the coming of age aspect endearing, especially as Duck realized that she could dance and help people to dance without the physical appearance of a graceful princess or a human girl and could be comfortable in who she was and what she was doing.

I note that there was a great deal of commentary on the magical girl/shoujo set up, such as I understand it. The subversions here are, I would think, notably more positive than they were in Utena, but I'm not really certain I could say I grasp them in their fullness because, where I now appreciate Evangelion not as some deep thing but as a subversion of classical Super Robot anime because I am increasingly familiar with classical Super Robot anime, the best I can say is that it seemed to me that Tutu was going to great lengths to comment on Magical Girl/Shoujo anime but since I'm not familiar with the genre at all, I cannot make very specific comments on it.

Ultimately I think Tutu is a good show. It's got energy, it's quirky, and the cast is memorable enough to carry it on. Misguided or not by false promises of ninjas, if I had to put a finger to my actual dissatisfaction with the series it would only be that "Magical Girls aren't really my thing." Because there wasn't really that much wrong with the show, and I enjoyed and appreciated it for what it was, but at the same time I can't rightly say that what it was was something I would seek to watch more of.

Thanks Corvy. I know magical girl genre really isnt your thing but appreciated you giving this show a try and obtaining some enjoyment from it despite that. It really is a great series for the genre, and one with a lot of heart. Lots of feels in this one and Luci pulled off the emotions and little quirks of Duck so beautifully. Its a special show and that is obvious in the fact that you could enjoy it despite not liking the genre at all.

HA
ibuovndgvz0oOH.png

Excellent! Please continue.

News from the Anime Boston Aniplex USA panel: release date for Servant x Service is set for May 27. DVD-only, preorders start Monday.

They've got the streaming license (as expected) for four shows from the coming season.

Mahouka, Nanana's Buried Treasure, Mushishi Zoku Shou, and Mekaku City Actors.

ANN summary link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...t-magic-high-school-mushishi/the-next-chapter

Q&A: no comment when asked about KnK Mirai Fukuin and Idolmaster.

YES Servant X Service! Im never gonna stop buying shows at this rate ._.

For Theonik

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=42415546

Also a twitter buddy of mine livetweeting the Aniplex USA announcements: https://twitter.com/Kurotsuki the website links are on the slides he took photos of.

See? Drop the passive aggressiveness and just post Makoto. that is the secret to happiness.

Nafe

I'm woefully inexperienced in this character pairing department, only familiar with the avatar you rolled with for a while there. I concluded it was The Best™ and looked no further.

Ah, I don't know what's all out there either but that's a good one,yeah.

Kuroko's Basketball 2 Episode 49
BjWmJFiCMAAtSt8.png

So glad this match will be over, largely not entertaining still though
Kagami moves are mindblowing. Murasakibara being shut down FTW!

Ill miss vice captain.

OK, I think I'm done.

Todays Mahouka video with Mayumi and Juumonji of StuCO fame.

Mayumi the best.

Liked the song.

Not sure about everything else.

Looks subpar.

Another one I'll be cautiously optimistic about.

"Noiz"

lolno.

Ren looked cute.

Log Horizon - 25

A nice finale with new char reveal. There is no closure here unfortunately but then Season 2 was announce so ALL IS GOOD.

Time to say goodbye to Database for now.

Gazoinks

Kemonozume 7

Relationships are breaking down.
Kazuma is turning into a Flesh Eater and becoming disillusioned on going public, putting everyone in danger. Yuka is drinking and maybe pregnant, and Toshihiko is becoming distant and wishy-washy. Rie is trying to get in on the action, and that Flesh Eater dude (Yuka's father? Boyfriend? Don't remember) showed up to further ruin everything.
Hoorah!

The fight between Yuka and Rie was the only real funny bit in this one, although it was still kind of a downer! It was also probably the most anime thing to happen in this show. :p

The animation in this episode was super choppy and, given the general style of this show, I have no idea if it was on purpose or not.

cajunator

Banned
This sounds good. Hope it actually is good too.

I was thinking the same. Im not sure what reminds me of Kinmoza but Im glad it does.

I hope Aniplex USA will now pick up the Blu-ray rights for the first season of Mushi-shi, along with licensing the TV-special that aired earlier this year.

Hopefully, but someone needs to rescue Haibane Renmei with a bluray release in the US!

Another DVD set. Aniplex why do you hate us? Ill buy it because I need it but man, move on from fucking DVD.

This is exactly why one doesn't have to stalk or read people's twitter or facebook or whatever. People just post their interests right here in the thread. ;p

Haha. Actually taking a look and it doesn't seem like there's really any nekomimi or animal ear/tail type fan art of the Sailor Moon girls. It seems pretty strange with how so many people seem to give them to all the different anime characters and with the show being popular and around as long as it has.

Well, actually...It was one of the first things I drew when I started anime (hence the bad proportions and sloppy artwork)
It made perfect sense to me. I love cat ears. I love Sailor Moon. Combine them together and you get joy.
http://innotech.deviantart.com/art/catgirl-senshi-3954502

Mushishi youre back! I missed you ;_;

Speaking of fan art,there was that meme that kind of exploded with the couples under the umbrella and being interviewed. Well, as someone who actually likes the Xenosaga franchise despite its problems and the characters KOS-MOS and Telos, I came across this fan art for the meme and I personally like it and hadn't seen it yet.

This meme is one of the few that I dont hate and dont mind seeing occasionally.

Well it does has akatsuki that have received a cajunator seal of cute approval if my memory is right.

She certainly does!!

If we're just going off of VNs that have sex scenes and not eroge being made into hentai:
ef
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
White Album

And a bunch of others I can't name off the top of my head. None of those are yaoi since I have no expertise in the field but you can always ask DTL.

Other VN's (not yaoi):

Popotan
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

Hum
Aside from henrietta / akatsuki , a relationship far from anything ( even with military grade yuri googles ) subtential ..i think that we're far from the garden.
Actually everyone is paired with another , with the exception of the main character ( shiroe ) and soujiro ( both living the dream as harem managers )

Focus of the next arc ( in season 2 obviously ) is mainly akatsuki , 90% of the story is told through her eyes and she is the main character in that arc , in short it's an akatsuki arc.

Im loving this already!

K-On! 14

And so it ends.
Well... The first season at least.

Their first gig outside of the school. It's something to get really nervous over, but both old friends and new ones helps out. Another success for the After-school Teatime, now with a logo too.

So... Listening to the dub was weird at first, but I got used to it and enjoyed the show just as much as I did when I watched it dubbed.

It's just as funny, cute and slightly emotional at times as the first time I watched it. Therefore I give it the same score as the first time I saw it. 4/5 instruments:

RtzQL5U.png
AlRhaWL.png
8gvmta0.png
t2YSV7f.png
dFIL1hK.png

It's been how long since it aired and its just not coming to bluray and DVD?

The anime aired last summer season, and the last single BD/DVD of the Japanese releases came out in February.

From the Anime Boston Funimation panel:

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/03/22/announcements-at-anime-boston/

They have the DVD home video rights to A Certain Scientific Railgun S (coming in two parts this summer) and announced the dub cast for Red Data Girl. Guess they'll announce the Eren voice right before the screening.

Should have figured it would just be DVD for Railgun S. Still hoping for Blu-ray rights for this and the first season sometime in the future, but I will be ordering the DVDs come summer.

Hopefully, but someone needs to rescue Haibane Renmei with a bluray release in the US!

I wouldn't mind owning Haibane Renmei on Blu-ray, but wasn't the Japanese BD-box for the series a terrible job of an upscale? Doesn't look like FUNimation is doing a Blu-ray release yet either.

jman2050

Nisekoi 11

It's amazing to what lengths Onodera and Raku will go to not say anything. No wonder Ruri seems so pissed all the time, she must be just as frustrated as the audience!

Tsugumi and Chitoge being best as usual.
Raku finally discovers there are two keyblade wielders.

Also I don't know what Shaft did to Chitoge's house but I like it.

CorvoSol

. Shame that you got fixated on that misleading image!

I'd say it's more that I got bombarded by that image. I mean, how many times was that posted in the discussion leading up to watching the show? Several, at the very least. You can only be told to expect ninjas wielding guitars so many times before you come to expect ninjas wielding guitars.

Thanks Corvy. I know magical girl genre really isnt your thing but appreciated you giving this show a try and obtaining some enjoyment from it despite that. It really is a great series for the genre, and one with a lot of heart. Lots of feels in this one and Luci pulled off the emotions and little quirks of Duck so beautifully. Its a special show and that is obvious in the fact that you could enjoy it despite not liking the genre at all.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that I think the English voice cast did a fantastic job. I mean, several of them I'd known from FMP and that made 'em personal favorites of mine, but they did a great job. Luci really nailed the goofy, hyper, awkward feeling of Duck and whoever that was playing Drosselmeyer was CLEARLY into being an enormous ham.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket S2 24

lol at Kise going in on Kagami for depending on the Zone. Great animation throughout the episode from
Himuro's moves to Kagami owning Murasakibara.

Only 1 more episode left for the season.

Taruranto

According to ANN, the writer for Aldnoah Zero is the writer for Boku no Pico.

Ahah, poor guy should have gone under another name.

Curiosity enough, you got directors like Shinbo who worked in the Hentai industry for years or Urubuchi who wrote the hero scenes in Saya no Uta, but It doesn't seem to be an issue for people.

Theonik

Just PM them to me. ;)

Solune and I should talk more. We haven't really talked much but from his messages that I've read we really seem to be interested in a lot of the same stuff. Almost every time I read one of his posts it's "Solune likes this too?!" kind of reaction,haha. I think he likes Mana Khemia 2 and the only other person here that I know that likes that game is, I think, is RuroniZel.
I can't go around making exceptions!
Also: Solune has quit GAF but can easily be reached on twitter. HOW CONVENIENT!

Ohhhhh shit! Will get on that soon, very soon!
!

Midonin

ImoCho 12 + Final Thoughts

It was clear from the start the series was all about finding the lewdest situations possible, but I found myself getting attached to the character drama that was playing out underneath it. This was one of the more awkward integrations into a family I've seen in anime (Hiyori didn't help), so it gave the characters a bit of gravitas to their situation. Hiyori did cross the line at several points, and even Yui Ogura's cuteness can't make up for the strange mascot character version of Hiyori that was in the ending theme, but I never found it a bad series. It accomplished what it set out to do, and I thought it handled it very well. Struck a decent balance between lewdness and character drama - it certainly had more of the latter than, say, Maken-Ki!

The season of finales and simulcast announcements rolls on.

cajunator

Banned
It's been how long since it aired and its just not coming to bluray and DVD?

Aniplex just seems to hate bluray unless its a $400 set. I dunno why.

Yay for Makoto!

mk2.jpg

:D

No. But you can have more Makoto!

tumblr_mtj8ybB0xo1r7c87xo1_500.gif

I love this cut from the movie promos! And we at least got one good spread a while back.

:D :D

Probably because this is coming out in two months and the last BD volume in Japan was released only a few weeks ago.

Using the score to exclude Azusa? How harsh...

Makes sense, but I guess that means Ill be holding off because a bluray is possible.
Im fixated on bluray for reasons of durability and space. They can put more on a bluray and you can lend shows out or watch them without fearing dropping and damaging the disc. I am VERY paranoid about damaging my beloved discs and in a collection of thousands I have maybe 4 or 5 scratched. Thats it. Im fanatical about it.

The anime aired last summer season, and the last single BD/DVD of the Japanese releases came out in February.

Should have figured it would just be DVD for Railgun S. Still hoping for Blu-ray rights for this and the first season sometime in the future, but I will be ordering the DVDs come summer.

I wouldn't mind owning Haibane Renmei on Blu-ray, but wasn't the Japanese BD-box for the series a terrible job of an upscale? Doesn't look like FUNimation is doing a Blu-ray release yet either.

Yes unfortunately according to Sekai No Hajimari, the bluray upscale is of terrible quality and I was advised to just stick with DVD for now.

Link Man

Banned
Zvezda 11

Well, at least Natasha wasn't fondled.

Build-up episode, so not much to say. Nice to see Asuta grow stronger in his resolve, and Goro continues to be the best character, even if only in a flashback.

Yasu :mad:

cajunator

Banned
I'd say it's more that I got bombarded by that image. I mean, how many times was that posted in the discussion leading up to watching the show? Several, at the very least. You can only be told to expect ninjas wielding guitars so many times before you come to expect ninjas wielding guitars.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that I think the English voice cast did a fantastic job. I mean, several of them I'd known from FMP and that made 'em personal favorites of mine, but they did a great job. Luci really nailed the goofy, hyper, awkward feeling of Duck and whoever that was playing Drosselmeyer was CLEARLY into being an enormous ham.

Now that youve seen the show, watch this. Luci is sooooo cute. What a sweetheart.
Spoilersssss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i-UAcYuIwE

For me it was some of the backgrounds (or is it just some artwork?), the singing, there's 2 blonde-ish girls and that purple haired one looks a bit like Aya.

Hehe

Yeah it was the Ayaya lookalike that sold me lol.

Midonin

Tesagure! Bukatsumono Encore 11

Mobuko needs to sit in on more meetings. Having her input there changes the tone of things in a great way. Though there's only one episode left.

e_i

Ahah, poor guy should have gone under another name.

Curiosity enough, you got directors like Shinbo who worked in the Hentai industry for years or Urubuchi who wrote the hero scenes in Saya no Uta, but It doesn't seem to be an issue for people.

Wait...that wasn't a joke?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Golden Time 21-23

Well decided to finally catch up. God damn that was some dorama left and right, really enjoying this show.
Amnesia
sucks.

Honestly though if they just ended the show after episode 23 I would have been content. He and the group finally got the resolution they needed and well its probably going to be the most painful of drama now. I just wanted everybody to have a happy ending, I honestly feel bad for a lot of people in this show but fuck somebody has to lose I guess.

Midonin

Tears to Tiara 05-06

I like Llyr. The crabs return, and it's becoming very, very clear that the Empire are, while not as villainous as the first guy, still not the friendliest people on the continent. They do have Octavia, and while the key visuals already hinted to me that she might defect, that hasn't happened yet.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time 21-23

Well decided to finally catch up. God damn that was some dorama left and right, really enjoying this show.
Amnesia
sucks.

Honestly though if they just ended the show after episode 23 I would have been content. He and the group finally got the resolution they needed and well its probably going to be the most painful of drama now. I just wanted everybody to have a happy ending, I honestly feel bad for a lot of people in this show but fuck somebody has to lose I guess.

The show has certainly become a drama mess. I hope they can resolve it from here in some way that doesnt fuck anyone over too badly. The preview for the last episode is confusing.

Articalys

Nisekoi ep.11

That was more enjoyable than I though it would be, though as others have pointed out Raku and Onodera really try your patience.

By the way, it's interesting how it seems most fans use first names for almost every character except (Seishirou) Tsugumi and (Kosaki) Onodera.

Nisekoi ep.11

By the way, it's intersting how it seems most fans use first names for almost every character except (Seishirou) Tsugumi and (Kosaki) Onodera.
On that note, I don't think I've ever called Kanbaru or Luchinni by their first names, which is strange because I love them!

DominoKid

Kuroko Basketball S2 24

tumblr_n2us4lll7s1qic25lo1_500.gif

In a show chock full of silly ass skills, the Mirage Shot takes the cake.

I hope next season they speed up the pace a bit to get in some more matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom