• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're gonna get snow I'd rather it be a big deal than a nothing amount, so bring it on!

You in particular get three inches of snow.

And people acting like one inch was not going to affect them driving.

And people not prepared for snow or jack asses thinking they're safe with awd...

Also true. When I grew up in Idaho, while it snowed often and a lot, people knew how to drive in the snow, so it was kept to a minimum.

If you don't, well...

Hindl

Looks like Boston isn't getting much. Thank god, ever since finishing school that shit has been a nightmare. I can work from home too, so no chance of a snow day. So the less snow I gotta deal with in the week the better

You need to buy a battery backup. I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5RV14Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It can charge an iPhone 6 six or seven times over. You can even charge two devices at the same time.

I got one of these bad boys before the portable battery market took off

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002K8M9HC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's overkill but only has 1 USB port. The idea was that you get a bunch of charger tips for free (just pay shipping) but now that most things are USB, you can just use that instead. Won't charge an iPad though, even in the 10V plug. Something about Apple being proprietary.

I also have 2 of the "roll of coins" style chargers.

Tobor

I have something like this with even a little more capacity and it wasn't close to $40. I'd look for something a little cheaper, but your point stands that it is a great device to have.

Yeah, the main thing is to have one. I also have a 21w portable solar charger, and I can always use the inverter in my truck. I'm prepared. :)

Well, 2 are in the house that aren't mine (belong to my ex's kids), and 3 are mine - I bought each zelda edition and never sold the old one after I upgraded - still have the latest zelda one boxed up and haven't used it yet.

This is the one time I wish I had more than one, lol. But then again there's my Vita, PSP and 3 GBA's (1 micro and two SP's).

kaskade

Anker makes some great stuff. They are probably a little more expensive now that some other ones on the market but they have great warranty and service if you have any issues. They're one of those no questions replacement companies.

Has this been posted?

PLVpzYu.png

So fucked. Flying in to Dulles on Sunday for a week, working in DC. Commuting each day via car.

I wouldn't count on that flight getting in. You have to worry more about that than what the roads will be like during the week I think. After a day or two most of the major roads should be fine.

Socreges

Banned
That's not happening anymore. I'd be flabbergasted if any flights come in to dulles on sunday.

I wouldn't count on that flight getting in. You have to worry more about that than what the roads will be like during the week I think. After a day or two most of the major roads should be fine.

lol. Good luck!
I'm hoping they just postpone the event to the following week, but I wonder if they'll just have us fly on Monday. Hope not. Zero interest in travelling under these circumstances.

Selner

I went to shovel the "not quite an inch" of snow off the driveway this morning, and I realized my snow shovel is kind of broken.

My 4-yr old son could push the little bit of snow around, but if I try and fling large amounts of snow around it's not going to work.

I imagine hardware stores are currently experiencing a run on shovels? Will stop by after work and see if any are left.

Currently in Fairfax Co, so I expect hardware stores and groceries to be in near full-panic mode.

georly

I went to shovel the "not quite an inch" of snow off the driveway this morning, and I realized my snow shovel is kind of broken.

My 4-yr old son could push the little bit of snow around, but if I try and fling large amounts of snow around it's not going to work.

I imagine hardware stores are currently experiencing a run on shovels? Will stop by after work and see if any are left.

Currently in Fairfax Co, so I expect hardware stores and groceries to be in near full-panic mode.

Yeah, I went to home depot on tuesday and they were out of shovels, salt, and sleds :/

What do you guys think the most reliable weather site is to keep up to date with this, and what time frame are these predictions usually considered pretty solid?

I have to figure out whether or not I should work from home tomorrow, so the time frame this thing is supposed to start in the Philly area would be awesome

UGH. Why can't this storm be two days later? Flying from Abu Dhabi to JFK, landing about 4p Saturday. Then supposed to catch a 7p flight to Raleigh, NC.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What do you guys think the most reliable weather site is to keep up to date with this, and what time frame are these predictions usually considered pretty solid?

I have to figure out whether or not I should work from home tomorrow, so the time frame this thing is supposed to start in the Philly area would be awesome

The gaf poster Mully.

Best information will be from your state's NWS site. For Philly, here is the current briefing : http://www.weather.gov/media/phi/current_briefing.pdf

And here is the site : http://www.weather.gov/phi/

UGH. Why can't this storm be two days later? Flying from Abu Dhabi to JFK, landing about 4p Saturday. Then supposed to catch a 7p flight to Raleigh, NC.
Good luck. I'm hoping to get into Raleigh tomorrow by 6pm. Gonna wager that JFK - > RDU on Saturday is fucked.

I wish the storm was at least 24 hours later too but if my wishes came true I'd have won the powerball last week.

Lamel

Banned
We have animals that live outside all the time like the bears, elk, deer, bision, yak, etc.

For other animals we have houses for them, heated ones. When we close the park, one of our missions is to get certain animals housed up for the winter, like the zebra, ostrich, emu, etc so they don't end up doing something stupid and go into or walk in a pond when snow falls on and the ground and get themselves stuck and drown.

Yeah okay makes sense, I was thinking about the african animals.

Latest warning from Baltimore/DC National Weather Service is out. Sorry about the caps but that's how the NWS put out these things.

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM FRIDAY TO 6 AM EST
SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
FROM 1 PM FRIDAY TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO
LONGER IN EFFECT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND WIND WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING
SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 30 INCHES...WITH THE
HIGHEST ACCUMULATIONS IN THE CENTRAL PIEDMONT SURROUNDING
CULPEPER.

* TIMING...HEAVY SNOW WILL DEVELOP FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE THROUGH
SATURDAY NIGHT. CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO DETERIORATE FRIDAY
AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW... STRONGEST WINDS...AND
POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT
THROUGH SATURDAY.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS
CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY. TRAVEL IS
EXPECTED TO BE SEVERELY LIMITED IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE DURING THE
HEIGHT OF THE STORM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY.
VISIBILITY WILL BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS.

georly

Yeah maybe I should've gotten some food...

Yeah, i'll see what the store has left. I have a bit of stuff to COOK, but if there's no power, I need food I can eat without cooking. Oh well. Hopefully i'm just snowed in, warm and cozy, playing videogames all weekend :/

Blizzard Warning posted for Baltimore/Washington area.

... Blizzard Warning in effect from 3 PM Friday to 6 am EST
Sunday...

The National Weather Service in Baltimore MD/Washington has
issued a Blizzard Warning... which is in effect from 3 PM Friday
to 6 am EST Sunday. The blizzard watch is no longer in effect.

* Hazard types... heavy snow and wind with blowing and drifting
snow Friday afternoon through Saturday night. Sleet may mix with
the snow Friday night into Saturday morning east of Interstate
95 before changing back to all snow by Saturday afternoon.

* Accumulations... snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches in the
eastern suburbs of Washington DC... and 24 to 30 inches in the
western suburbs. The city of Washington DC is expected to
receive around 24 inches.

* Timing... heavy snow will develop late Friday afternoon and
continue through Saturday night. Conditions are expected to
deteriorate Friday afternoon with the heaviest snow... strongest
winds... and potential life threatening conditions expected
Friday night through Saturday.

* Impacts... heavy snow and blowing snow will cause dangerous
conditions and will be a threat to life and property. Travel
is expected to be severely limited if not impossible during
the height of the storm Friday night and Saturday. Visibility
will be reduced to near zero at times in whiteout conditions.

* Winds... northeast 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50
mph... becoming north Saturday.

* Temperatures... mid to upper 20s.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout
conditions... making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If
you must travel... have a winter survival kit with you. If you get
stranded... stay with your vehicle. Prepare for the possibility of
power outages during snowy and cold conditions.

Good luck. I'm hoping to get into Raleigh tomorrow by 6pm. Gonna wager that JFK - > RDU on Saturday is fucked.

I wish the storm was at least 24 hours later too but if my wishes came true I'd have won the powerball last week.

Yeah, my only hope is the plane doesn't leave Abu Dhabi for fears of JFK closing and being diverted, then I can at least enjoy that for a while. With my luck I'll end up overnighting in JFK. Good luck to you, Friday is a bit dicey but you'll hopefully be fine!

Holy carp. I am not ready for this amount of shoveling. I can't wait until I have a house with a garage and don't have to clean two cars and 2 parking spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom