• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That would be great. I couldn't believe how bad they were. Not only that, but you have to watch the percentage numbers slowly creep up, which makes it worse.

Edit: Wait, no Assegai? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2207 company.

Damn they couldn't have built a time machine or something?! :( :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Are there any new companies? It would be equally cool to have new teams that didn't survive on the Wipeout circuit for very long.

Great Job on the OT Snuggler! This is the only game I'm getting for the Vita for the time being, so I'm going to be putting quite a few hours on this one.

Also, everyone is talking about a patch to fix the load times, but where are people getting his? From what I've been reading, Studio Liverpool has been pretty much ignoring anybody talking about 2048 in a negative fashion for the time being.

Some Wipeout fans have been posting the following around to try and get Studio Liverpool's attention: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8593

Are there any new companies? It would be equally cool to have new teams that didn't survive on the Wipeout circuit for very long.

Not from the start, but I have a feeling the DLC will end up adding completely new teams to keep with the canon.

Oppo

There was actually a very high level of support in DLC for the PSP Wipeouts.

I'm so close to biting on a Vita because of this game, but I really want to hear that they patch those load times.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm really curious if someone has a legitimate source for this patch talk. Haven't seen anything mentioned since the Japanese release.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Never seen a source on the patch thing, and what little I've seen before this thread was just that they would "try" to patch it to reduce the load times.

Anyway, no Racebox is really disappointing. Haven't really followed this at all since it was a must buy for me, but does that mean you can't do ANY single player stuff that's not in the campaign, or is it just setup differently? That could easily be the most disappointing con.

And the timeline thing is cool. Wallet is ready for the game, and the DLC.

LordAlu

Never seen a source on the patch thing, and what little I've seen before this thread was just that they would "try" to patch it to reduce the load times.

Anyway, no Racebox is really disappointing. Haven't really followed this at all since it's was a must buy for me, but does that mean you can't do ANY single player stuff that's not in the campaign, or is it just setup differently? That could easily be the most disappointing con.

And the timeline thing is cool. Wallet is ready for the game, and the DLC.
From playing it, you can just do the races in order (they branch off a little too), and you can choose any race you've previously done too to try and get an Elite pass on it. But there's no "pick a mode, pick a team/car, pick a track, race" system, just the campaign.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There´s a patch coming for that, IIRC
I'd be curious to know what they could do to patch the game. It seems like the issue is a result of how the game fetches data and how much data it requires for the race. I'd imagine everything is pretty compressed and each race requires the complete track to be loaded into memory.

Unless they implemented some sort of data streaming (in which only a fraction of the data is required at race start) I don't see what else they could do. Just seems like they took the wrong approach to handling their data. I'd imagine this is the result of releasing the game so early in the systems life. When they started building the game they likely made some choices in how data would be loaded that didn't really work out for the final hardware.

nofi

Anyway, no Racebox is really disappointing. Haven't really followed this at all since it was a must buy for me, but does that mean you can't do ANY single player stuff that's not in the campaign, or is it just setup differently? That could easily be the most disappointing con.

More stuff unlocks away from the campaign line the further you get.
Time trials, for example, appear in the bottom left after beating the first season
. I can't say for certain that there's a single race mode, though...

iOejG0GObMOme.gif

Drool

Hoo-doo

Banned
I have always loved everything about the WipEout series. Such an amazing artstyle, great electronic beats and superb gameplay.
If I didn't just have to drop nearly a grand on studybooks, i'd be mighty tempted to pre-order a Vita right away just for this game.

Shame my favourite WipEout HD team isn't represented though. Icaras 4 lyfe!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
More stuff unlocks away from the campaign line the further you get.
Time trials, for example, appear in the bottom left after beating the first season
. I can't say for certain that there's a single race mode, though...

I've killed a ton of time in Eliminator mode on Fury, just picking it up and playing a round or two here and there. Being able to do it on the go with combat mode would be awesome. I'll just have to see what's available when I get the game, some of the campaign challenges might be fine for that.

Koroviev

I've killed a ton of time in Eliminator mode on Fury, just picking it up and playing a round or two here and there. Being able to do it on the go with combat mode would be awesome. I'll just have to see what's available when I get the game, some of the campaign challenges might be fine for that.

I love eliminator mode. I wish more of my friends did, too :(

As for 2048, I'm cautiously optimistic. I love Wipeout, but I'm not excited about the load times and I must admit that HD may have ruined me with its framerate and resolution. We shall see.

Durante

I'd be curious to know what they could do to patch the game. It seems like the issue is a result of how the game fetches data and how much data it requires for the race. I'd imagine everything is pretty compressed and each race requires the complete track to be loaded into memory.
Load times in games are practically never even close to optimal, given the hardware. There are lots of potential reasons for that -- some could be fixed by a small code patch (inefficient loading/unpacking of assets), many more could be fixed for the download version by a redownload (bad data layout in storage), and only a small amount of them could only be fixed by a complete redesign.

It depends on what the specific problems are that have a major impact on the 2048 load times, but as of now I see no reason to doubt that they could be improved greatly in a patch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Load times in games are practically never even close to optimal, given the hardware. There are lots of potential reasons for that -- some could be fixed by a small code patch (inefficient loading/unpacking of assets), many more could be fixed for the download version by a redownload (bad data layout in storage), and only a small amount of them could only be fixed by a complete redesign.

It depends on what the specific problems are that have a major impact on the 2048 load times, but as of now I see no reason to doubt that they could be improved greatly in a patch.
I certainly hope you're right as they are borderline unacceptable right now. Makes the UMD based Wipeout games look speedy by comparison.

Has anyone compared loading of a race with a full grid to one featuring just a single ship? I wonder if that makes a difference.

PGR3 could suffer from load times of up to 75 seconds with a full grid while a single car race could be loaded in half that time, for instance. Might give us some indication as to where the bottleneck lies.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Zone mode is stunning. One thing I do find with the 'regular' tracks is that the colour scheme makes it hard to see turns until you're right on them. Something I'll have to get used to, obviously!

Sweet game. Love the online integration with friends/leaderboards etc from the home screen; and the XP system.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there anyone else who has never been bothered by a load time ever? Especially on a portable. I will just look at Gaf or something.

DBT85

Is there anyone else who has never been bothered by a load time ever? Especially on a portable. I will just look at Gaf or something.

Never bothered me either. Certainly wouldn't stop me playing a game.

Found out just now that I get Wipeout for just £5 with my 3G Vita. Rock and roll baby!

Top Bottom