• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is there anyone else who has never been bothered by a load time ever? Especially on a portable. I will just look at Gaf or something.

I'm only bothered by loading when it's a constant interruption, like long load times before random encounters in an RPG. Long loads before races sounds kinda annoying, but tolerable.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
FYI, playing 2048 with the 2097 soundtrack = total win.

Edit: lol, I'm playing MP with QA testers. Awesome.

I couldn't actually figure out how to do a custom soundtrack with it. Where is the option? I'm sure it's something totally obvious...

Is there anyone else who has never been bothered by a load time ever? Especially on a portable. I will just look at Gaf or something.

I have my limits, but I'm a lot less bothered by load times than most. Especially in a racing game where I don't mind downtime between races.

I played the demo for 2048 today. Visually it's fantastic. I wasn't crazy about the control scheme, however. I had to use R1 to accelerate and X to use weapons. It felt so alien. I didn't even know how to use the air brakes.

But overall, it was great. I just hope I can tweak the controls in the final game.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I played the demo for 2048 today. Visually it's fantastic. I wasn't crazy about the control scheme, however. I had to use R1 to accelerate and X to use weapons. It felt so alien. I didn't even know how to use the air brakes.

But overall, it was great. I just hope I can tweak the controls in the final game.

You can. You can actually change them in the demo too :p

You can. You can actually change them in the demo too :p
That's what I figured, that's why it didn't upset me very much. I had very limited time to play so I didn't mess with the settings.

What did bum me out was there was no sound on the Vita I was playing. I have no idea why, the volume was all the way up. (Stupid Gamestop.)

I've never played Wipeout before, but I just picked it up at GameStop as an impulse buy. While I can't play it yet, I am very excited.

Is it anything like f-zero?

I couldn't actually figure out how to do a custom soundtrack with it. Where is the option? I'm sure it's something totally obvious...
The PS3 has conditioned us to look for some archaic method to play our custom music (have to have a playlist, switch over to options, select custom soundtrack, select the playlist, etc.)... that we never considered that it could be as easy as pressing play in the Music app. :p

Don't worry, took me a while too.

Also, hold the PS button for music volume settings and playback control in order to avoid being disconnected if you're in an online game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I usually don't mind, but when I try to Elite Pass a race in Wipeout 2048, which is hard and have to reset a lot, there's more waiting than playing involved.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I usually don't mind, but when I try to Elite Pass a race in Wipeout 2048, which is hard and have to reset a lot, there's more waiting than playing involved.

heavy loads on resets too? Shouldn't all the track data and whatnot already be loaded in?

Brobzoid

no custom controls
no racebox
long load on resets

(ノ ゚д゚)ノ ~┻━┻

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
no custom controls
no racebox
long load on resets

(ノ ゚д゚)ノ ~┻━┻
Yeah, all that and I would still recommend it to every racing games fan out there.

Brobzoid

well yea cuz, like, it's wipeout...

just wish it would be perfect on launch, rather than have to hope for patches/updates ;_;

B.O.O.M

Hey guys a quick question

I have been told that the gamestop kiosks that play the game have a rather worrying amount of load time. Is this true in the final game as well or is this something to do with the demo version?

and also is that pic in the OP, an artwork for the game? It looks beautiful!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hey guys a quick question

I have been told that the gamestop kiosks that play the game have a rather worrying amount of load time. Is this true in the final game as well or is this something to do with the demo version?

and also is that pic in the OP, an artwork for the game? It looks beautiful!
Load times are about the same as in the demo.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
10 seconds?
Haha, no. More like 40-50. There are a few movies on YT showing the load times, so you can get an idea how it looks like.

Edit:
What, I've just noticed the answer for my tweet:
DPuk0.jpg

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

I'm in that club also. I grew up with tapes on the C64 with load times of around 5-7 minutes and anything 1 min or less is fine with me.

I've never played Wipeout before, but I just picked it up at GameStop as an impulse buy. While I can't play it yet, I am very excited.

Is it anything like f-zero?

Wipeout is more about weigth and inertia, and can be hard the first time you get into it, the feeling of the ship hovering is really great and unmatched imho, but can be tough for turning.

Airbrakes are the key.

Eusis

If you played Morrowind Xbox (well, GotY anyway) and still feel that way I'd have to wonder how you can be so tolerant of them! But yeah, usually load times only seriously bug me if they're truly excessive or pop up too often for frequent things like random battles in an RPG or accessing menus. There's also when music/sound effects are out of sync as a result of loading, but that's more a related issue since it's technical problem beyond just waiting longer.

Wipeout is more about weigth and inertia, and can be hard the first time you get into it, the feeling of the ship hovering is really great and unmatched imho, but can be tough for turning.

Airbrakes are the key.

Thanks for your response! I actually downloaded the PS3 demo of Wipeout a few hours after my post. I really enjoyed it. It took me two races to not be one of the last ones to finish the race, but I had a lot of fun. I like the way the ships look and the futuristic setting of the tracks.

Grayman

Thanks for your response! I actually downloaded the PS3 demo of Wipeout a few hours after my post. I really enjoyed it. It took me two races to not be one of the last ones to finish the race, but I had a lot of fun. I like the way the ships look and the futuristic setting of the tracks.
does the demo let you select speeds? the game starts to feel a lot different (imo better) at higher classes. It is not until Flash or even Rapier until the game gives a real flow of the track.

Speaking of speed classes, is the single player in the PSP the same grid system that forces play on lower speeds?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
does the demo let you select speeds? the game starts to feel a lot different (imo better) at higher classes. It is not until Flash or even Rapier until the game gives a real flow of the track.

Speaking of speed classes, is the single player in the PSP the same grid system that forces play on lower speeds?

The demo has one track and vehicle, that's all.

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

Headlight of the PS Vita launch , WipEout 2048 doesnt fail to its promises and reputation. Beautiful (close to a PS3 game) and faster than ever, it confirms its status of technological showcase of the saga, without forgetting the perfectly balanced gameplay. One could certainly criticize his lack of challenge in solo, being too much based on action, and long loadings, but its hard not to fall for this polished episode and the exhilarating sensations, worthy of a centrifuge. After Uncharted Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048 represents the second must-have of the Vita.

+ it's beautiful
+ it's fast
+ it's fun
+ it's perfectly balanced

- too easy in solo
- too much based on action
- the loadings

8/10 (editor's pick)

zoukka

Especially on a portable device dude. That shit killed PSP for me. If you get used to no loading in handhelds for decades, it's impossible to jump in on them now.

I can't believe you even wrote that post :b

Ken

Amazon has this game in stock now and ready for shipping if anyone preordered a copy from them.

This is at odds with the impressions I've read.

Same here. Everything I've read has said that it starts easy and ends hard as hell.

Haha, no. More like 40-50. There are a few movies on YT showing the load times, so you can get an idea how it looks like.

Edit:
What, I've just noticed the answer for my tweet:
DPuk0.jpg

Such a relief, thank you so much for that.

EDIT:
Amazon has this game in stock now and ready for shipping if anyone preordered a copy from them.

Just checked my preorder and is says it hasn't shipped. US amazon store here. I'll keep you guys updated.

Dunan

Good news! I preordered (and even with shipping to Japan, it's still cheaper than buying it in a Japanese store).

Ken

See if you can change your shipping speed? I can apparently get it tomorrow if I choose one day shipping in the next 4 hours.

700fc120.png

See if you can change your shipping speed? I can apparently get it tomorrow if I choose one day shipping in the next 4 hours.

700fc120.png

Interesting, I did this and apparently I will get it tomorrow. Not only that, but I will get my 16GB Memory Card as well.

Interesting, I did this and apparently I will get it tomorrow. Not only that, but I will get my 16GB Memory Card as well.

I just changed mine to 2 day (I had preordered with release date shipping). As soon as I did that, it's saying I'll get it on Saturday.

Not that it really matters I guess.... I won't have a Vita for another week and a half...

I just changed mine to 2 day (I had preordered with release date shipping). As soon as I did that, it's saying I'll get it on Saturday.

Not that it really matters I guess.... I won't have a Vita for another week and a half...

I'm in that same boat so I feel your pain. At least we'll have something to stare at for a week and a half haha.

so its definitely coming out for ps3? I will wait for that version if so...

As of right now, no. Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually ported over the content of 2048 onto HD/Fury as DLC to further the cross-platform compatibility. Or that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

As of right now, no. Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually ported over the content of 2048 onto HD/Fury as DLC to further the cross-platform compatibility. Or that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

well, i went ahead and ordered it. I figure I will be playing it on the go anyhow. hopefully we see it on PS3 as well.

Top Bottom