• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future

fernoca

Seems loadings while reduced in the patch, mostly depend on the mode and are not as drastic as some might expect.

For examples..
darkresurrection Zone Mode post-patch (February 2012): Around 20 seconds
Random video Zone Mode pre-patch (November 2011): Around 22 seconds

There could be some variation, depending on the track per se though.
darkresurrection Race (February 2012): Around 40 seconds
Random Race (January 2012): Around 45 seconds

Maybe someone can test the actual same tracks/modes and provide exact results.
There's also the differences in loadings between retail and digital.

Overall I still don't mind (heck, I didin't had problems with ModNation on PS3); yeah relative long time.. but the games are more than worth it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Having never seen pre-patch load speeds, I still think that those post-patch load speeds are far too long. Bloomin' eck.
They are still long, which shows how long they were to begin with - it's not a massive reduction, but noticeable. But tbh it hasn't bother me that much either way - the game is fantastic.

Launches tomorrow. =(
Boo. I have to learn patience :p Still, at least the PSN update today will bring me sweet Rayman.

Duffyside

Banned
Any chance those load times are "faster" in that video because the guy was loading Zone Mode, and that doesn't need to load as many assets?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Any chance those load times are "faster" in that video because the guy was loading Zone Mode, and that doesn't need to load as many assets?

Yes, that was the case. Regular races are twice as long.

Ollie Pooch

Yes, that was the case. Regular races are twice as long.
Yes, but they're still improved over the old times. He also posted another video. I just timed the loading of the Downtown track on mine and it was 33 seconds.

And Subway - 43 seconds :p

BAHWAHWAHWAH durdurpirpurrrpruuurrr BAWAH BA bahhhhhhwahwahwah wah

Indeed. Thankfully it's only on the multiplayer menu. Haven't heard it in a race yet. Why the hell is Orbital doing dubstep anyway? I didn't even know they were still around.

Anyway, yeah.. the load times. I didn't want to say anything when the patch went up because I barely noticed a difference at all. Pre-patch, the loading would get stuck at 56% for a few seconds, but now it has a steady pace through the numbers, so I guess it shaves off a few seconds that way. I never really had a problem with it though so whatever, I guess.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just picked up a copy at a Massachusetts Gamestop for $29.99.

Apparently they mislabeled the game or didn't update the MSRP. Either way, I saved $10.

the small improvement in loading times is very disappointing. Here is hoping there is a patch coming. Is the loading the same for the PSN store version?

btkadams

do the people complaining about the loading actually own the game? the loading has been totally fine for me. i must have some god-level patience in comparison to the rest of gaf.

Ollie Pooch

do the people complaining about the loading actually own the game? the loading has been totally fine for me. i must have some god-level patience in comparison to the rest of gaf.
Yeah, same here - it really hasn't been an issue. I do actually think most of the complainers don't own it yet. Loadtime vids always seem worse on Youtube :p

Yeah, same here - it really hasn't been an issue. I do actually think most of the complainers don't own it yet. Loadtime vids always seem worse on Youtube :p

correct! i do not own it, but I will say I was hoping for an immediate restart, and to my knowledge it doesn't have that. did the patch add that? (not sure if being disappointed mean complaining necessarily.)

yencid

So do you guys think the loading times have anything to do with the engine being ported to the Vita from the ps3? (less optimization)

GAF: DarkSoul520
PSN: DarkSoul520
Timezone: EST

Only 1 week till I get to play this. Guaranteed you will see me on for the majority of the night come the 22nd.

I'd like to buy this game with my PSV next week when it launches on 22nd here in the UK. However, while I enjoyed the PS3 version of Wipeout HD/Fury a lot, the screen tearing annoyed me and I personally felt it marred the otherwise lush visuals a bit. Alas, I'm one of those who notices it no matter how slight. :(

I understand the Vita version runs at 30 fps rather than 60 fps but does it have tearing? I thought I saw some during the pre-race cinematic while watching Giant Bomb's quick look video this morning but it may have been the video encode.

Anyone know?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
the game doesn't look or feel like it was rushed at all.
I don't think it was rushed either.

I still wouldn't be surprised if making a near launch game is the cause, however. Perhaps the speed at which assets were loaded from their development units was faster? They may not have anticipated the speed at which the Vita can pull data from the final game media/memory cards and found out too late in the development that loading would be sluggish. If they had known up front where they were limited perhaps they would have changed the way the game reads data? That seems pretty logical to me at least.

the small improvement in loading times is very disappointing. Here is hoping there is a patch coming. Is the loading the same for the PSN store version?
No, it's SLOWER with the PSN version.

DBT85

Apologies if this has been covered already. Anyone in the UK getting the 3G version, I got confirmation about getting Wipeout for free and that you;ll get the download code within 24 hours of topping up unlike those in the US who have to wait 30 days apparently

uk3G.jpg

PaulLFC

Looking forward to picking this up at launch next week. All I'll say about the load times is, I had Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex on PS2, the load times in this cannot be that bad.

Ollie Pooch

correct! i do not own it, but I will say I was hoping for an immediate restart, and to my knowledge it doesn't have that. did the patch add that? (not sure if being disappointed mean complaining necessarily.)
I meant the more vocal complainers ;)

Nah, not immediate restart - its about 5-6 seconds to restart a race I think. Barely noticeable.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got in a couple races yesterday. Really good and no hitches. Fast enough even though 60fps would have been amazing. Load times are bearable post patch too.

I meant the more vocal complainers ;)

Nah, not immediate restart - its about 5-6 seconds to restart a race I think. Barely noticeable.

Yeah, having owned it for the better part of a day now, I will say the load times are not that bad. But as a game I would normally be inclined to pickup and play a quick game or two down the road, I may just not bother cuz it takes a while to start.

Anyway, back to the game at hand, it seems quite good, I just wish there were more room in the Vita analogue stick to really be more finessey with the controls. (meaning i get to the outer edge of the sticks way to quickly).

Ollie Pooch

Yeah, the controls takea bit of getting used to - I've kinda forced myself to do really small movements on the stick, when my instinct is to push further on it.

The notification system is really awesome. Just got a notification that MikeE21286 beat my time on a course. Clicked it, it asks if i want to play the event, click OK. Time beaten ;P

Although i'm really happy with the game, everytime I try to play multiplayer it give me an "An error occured while contacting the server. Please try again" response. Is anyone else having this problem?

LordAlu

Bah, was hoping I could update the copy on my workplace's Vita but since the SEN store isn't up in the UK for Vita yet the update isn't up either. Doesn't show on the Wipeout page :(

Def Jukie

What tracks from HD are included in this and did they change the look of them? I'm curious if they match the look of the new tracks or if they have the same aesthetic as the HD version.

Reclaimer

Wipeout is great! I can already feel the addiction setting in.

Total wipeout virgin here though, so help me out:

What's the "proper" wipeout control scheme and method for playing? The default trigger to accelerate and dual-airbrake are comfortable, but I'm guessing I'll need the triggers for individual left/right air brake later when tracks are tougher, leaving the accel on th X button? Dpad taps seem pretty good now, but should I be training on the analog?

Also...

Gaf: Reclaimer
PSN: ZombisaurusMatt
Time zone: PST

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What tracks from HD are included in this and did they change the look of them? I'm curious if they match the look of the new tracks or if they have the same aesthetic as the HD version.

Did they even put HD tracks in this at launch? I only knew about the DLC port job stated here:

Wipeout 2048 pilots that already own Wipeout HD and its "HD Fury" pack will receive the Vita DLC versions of both at no charge when they're released this spring

That makes it sound like all of them in thier original form.

Ollie Pooch

Wipeout is great! I can already feel the addiction setting in.

Total wipeout virgin here though, so help me out:

What's the "proper" wipeout control scheme and method for playing? The default trigger to accelerate and dual-airbrake are comfortable, but I'm guessing I'll need the triggers for individual left/right air brake later when tracks are tougher, leaving the accel on th X button? Dpad taps seem pretty good now, but should I be training on the analog?

Also...

Gaf: Reclaimer
PSN: ZombisaurusMatt
Time zone: PST

I use the "Wipeout" control settings. L/R for airbrakes, x for accelerate, o for absorb weapon and square to fire.

Top Bottom