• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future

MarkusRJR

I picked this game up with my Vita yesterday. I haven't played too much of it yet, but it looks gorgeous. I've never played a Wipeout game before so it's all really new to me. I've been using the default "racer" control type. I find it pretty easy to control compared to the other types. My PSP's x button got worn down to the point where it would stick and I don't want that happening to my Vita, so using the "racer" control type adds another plus (although now I'm scared I'll wear down my R button). Are there any disadvantages I'll be having by playing this way?

jlevel13

I feel like the framerate in races sometimes isn't very good - there's so much visual info on the screen I'm getting lost. The framerate, at least for me, seems to make racing smoothly harder than it should be - maybe I just need to play more and adjust to it. Things seem much better just doing time trials or zone. I'd be happy just playing those modes, which is why I'm starting to really miss the racebox. I've only unlocked one zone mode track so far...

jlevel13

Beat sp campaign last night. M first ever for a wipeout game.

Either this game is too easy or i've gotten a lot better

Were you playing with assists on? I noticed the default set up has 'em. I haven't played a ton, but I did notice the goals you have to achieve this time around seem way toned down, like come in 5th place or better, instead of win to unlock the next event & the early time trials I've done all let you make plenty of mistakes / have a very generous goal time...

Just started the game today, notice the 1.01 update says it reduced load times, they still seem quite long, how bad were they before this update?

This game is excellent. I love me some Wipeout, and it feels good to be back.

For the first time in the history of the series I find myself switching between digital and analogue. Never really liked the feel of previous games using the analogue stick, but the Vita stick feels good for this game.

Everyone with the machine should at least check this out!

jlevel13

Is there any place in the game to see your total playtime? That's a feature I loved in the psp games and that they eventually added to the ps3 version too. If it's not in, maybe they are adding more stats back, with some of the other missing features, like the AR stuff?

So is this iteration better or worse than wipeout hd?

This is my take on it.

+
+Tracks are gorgeous! Some really nice layouts too. Love the new Sol track.
+I like the different ship classes Speed/Fighter/Agility
+Love the way speed laps are integrated. Can see friends lap times during the race.
+Notifications when a friend beats your lap time
+Ships look gorgeous. And I like the unlocking progression.
+Multi-player campaign is a nice addition

-
-Only 30fps, And drops lower than that at time. HD is 60fps not to mention 1080p.
-Music selection is not as good. Reuses some Wipeout HD music.
-Wipeout HD has amazing 5.1 music + audio this does not.
-Sounds are weird in this game.
-No racebox
-Online is still a bit buggy
-Bad loading times
-I like Zone mode in Wipeout HD better. I don't like the new color schemes nearly as much. Way too busy looking. HD was much more "Zen".

This is my take on it.

+
+Tracks are gorgeous! Some really nice layouts too. Love the new Sol track.
+I like the different ship classes Speed/Fighter/Agility
+Love the way speed laps are integrated. Can see friends lap times during the race.
+Notifications when a friend beats your lap time
+Ships look gorgeous. And I like the unlocking progression.
+Multi-player campaign is a nice addition

-
-Only 30fps, And drops lower than that at time. HD is 60fps not to mention 1080p.
-Music selection is not as good. Reuses some Wipeout HD music.
-Wipeout HD has amazing 5.1 music + audio this does not.
-Sounds are weird in this game.
-No racebox
-Online is still a bit buggy
-Bad loading times
-I like Zone mode in Wipeout HD better. I don't like the new color schemes nearly as much. Way too busy looking. HD was much more "Zen".

These. These the most. Music has too much wub wub. HD had a lot of better stuff.

Also, you mention the sounds... the weird... engine? sound? It's so annoying..

WWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-pew...WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER...PEWWW

I'm like wut?!

And yes, the load times do suck =/

Oh thing I love though?

The track Sol. Good god. I hit that map and then I blew my load everywhere.

jlevel13

I actually really like the sound effects... Since it's a prequel, everything has a much more primitive, raw feel soundwise, more pops and explosions. The soundtrack I can live without (actually I've turned it off). Does it support custom soundtracks?

KillerAJD

Got the game today and am having a blast with it so far. My only real complaint is the tracks are extremely busy, so it takes me a race or two to get used to the track.

JVIDICAN

Just like with Wipeout HD, no pillot assist is the way to go. Air brakes feel useless (and cause more crashes than they prevent) with it on. :p

These. These the most. Music has too much wub wub. HD had a lot of better stuff.

Also, you mention the sounds... the weird... engine? sound? It's so annoying..

WWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-pew...WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER...PEWWW

I'm like wut?!

And yes, the load times do suck =/

Oh thing I love though?

The track Sol. Good god. I hit that map and then I blew my load everywhere.

I actually quite like the engine sound. Every Wipeout game prior has sounded very similar, so it's nice to have a change.

I also thought the soundtrack to HD (and Pulse) wasn't up to the standard of previous Wipeout entries, but this has some good stuff on it.

The Vita doesn't sound loud enough with my headphones in any case, so I'll mostly be playing with Vita sound off listening to my iPod anyway.

ZeroAKA

I just remembered how bad I was at Wipeout HD, but I suppose I'll figure out the secret some day...

Add me, I need more Vita friends.
ZeroAKA (GAF) - AbstractChaos (PSN) - EST

Number45

I actually really like the sound effects... Since it's a prequel, everything has a much more primitive, raw feel soundwise, more pops and explosions. The soundtrack I can live without (actually I've turned it off). Does it support custom soundtracks?
Just stop the music in the game and play whatever you have on your music player and voilà you have your custom soundtrack.

Cracked this open last night. I'm going to try and elite everything before I move on... didn't get far! :(

Posted this in the General Vita thread but figured i should put it here in case anyone else has had similar problems:

God i was trying this morning to top up my Vodafone sim card and i just couldnt get the damn thing to work. It wouldnt let me log into my vodafone account on the vita (created on pc just before) as it said my log in details were wrong, then when i try to do it on the pc it says my card number is wrong for my type of card?!

All i want to do is get Wipeout and then move onot a different provider.

Number45

Posted this in the General Vita thread but figured i should put it here in case anyone else has had similar problems:

You're trying with a Visa debit card? You need to choose Visa Electron from the list if so, Vodafone seem to think they're one and the same.

You're trying with a Visa debit card? You need to choose Visa Electron from the list if so, Vodafone seem to think they're one and the same.

Thanks, just tried it out and it finally lets me past that stage, only problem is now my work pc is blocking its attempt :(

At least i can finally get it when i go online at home later, thanks again.

I still can't get over that I'm playing this game on a portable, it's definitely for me the most mind-blowing of the launch games I've played so far. The frame drops are definitely a bit annoying sometimes, and I agree that the visual changes to Zone mode are for the worse, but overall I'm really having a blast with this. I find the relaxed difficulty of some of the goals to be good, as I've never been a hardcore Wipeout player and it's good to have some reasonable goals and progress with the chance to go back and get Elite goals for replay.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
On elite difficulty?

- F

I've elite passed all the events in the first section, only a couple time trials and one combat event gave me much trouble. Time trails because I didn't really know the tracks too well yet, and the combat one because it has a totally different feel than Eliminator on HD. Points are harder to come across and weapons seem to do less damage.

Learning curve doesn't seem anywhere near as steep as HD, but maybe that was tougher since I hadn't played a Wipeout game in 10 years.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RE: the connection errors, the Wipeout peeps tweeted this:

getting C2-12828-1 errors? ensure that for this port range (10060-10080) port forwarding is enabled (UDP&TCP) in your router

I don't know what any of that means, but maybe it will help.

Flashback_Jack said:
On elite difficulty?

I was getting elite passes, but then I remembered that pilot assist was on. That burst my bubble, but I just need a few races to adjust (haven't had the time to play more yet).

T.O.P

Banned
Just realized that the online pass doesen't work on my EU store (bought the NA version of the game) fuuuu

But loving the sp, amazing visual and the new tracks are pretty damn fun

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, Zone mode is amazing. It puts me into a trance. Only problem is I keep stopping to take shots, it makes races take forever.

good game

amrod

Egfx1.jpg

I get this error... no error code when I try to play online

My wifi works because i just downloaded the game using it

Have you got any tips for the combat events ?
I think those events are very random and more based on luck than skill. Maybe I do something wrong and there are techniques I'm not aware off.

I don't know why they keep trying to develop the combat side of Wipeout, it's exactly as you say, random. I hate that i have to play events i dont like, way more times than even events i do like, just because it's virtually skill-free to get an Elite Pass on them. Even worse, those events always have the shittiest framerate cause of all the craft and explosions going on.

Chorazin

Sweet baby jesus, whoever chose to make bumping the right stick turn your ship around in Combat Events never actually held a Vita. These high point races are more difficult than they need to be because of it.

Top Bottom