• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future

mo1518

Neo Member
Cross Play working yet? This morning my Vita would pretend its loading then exit out to the menu screen.

This happens to me every time I try to play either online mode. I got into a few races last night, haven't been able to get back online yet. Anyone else?

This happens to me every time I try to play either online mode. I got into a few races last night, haven't been able to get back online yet. Anyone else?

Just mentioned this last page but it got lost in a sea of responses. Give me an "error connecting to server" response. Don't have any idea what the problem could be.

ReconPeon

Add me to your friends list so we can get a game goin :) ReconPeon. And yea, I cant connect to any internet games either... its weird.

mo1518

Neo Member
According to one of the dev's twitter, they've upgraded the servers, and the online connection problems should be fixed. Just spent 45 minutes doing online races, and it's running smooth as butter now.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I think it's pretty likely that the Wipeout HD/Fury "DLC" is already present on 2048 because it's the same models and tracks that they use for CrossPlay right?

Ken

Welp, picked up the game off the PSN. Which controls are best for beginner? I went with the L/R for L/R brakes, X for accelerate, square for weapons, and O for absorb pickup?

Are the L/R brakes for making tight turns? I don't play many racing games so I'm not sure.

Also, I'll add a few PST people later so if you get a PSN request from nya_08, it's me. :x

I played the demo a few more times and the "Wipeout" control scheme makes all the difference. I have no idea why that isn't the default. But once I started using it, winning the race wasn't an issue. Whereas before I really struggled to place.

Anyway, already have a copy of 2048 and it sits there mocking me as I wait for Wednesday to arrive.

Welp, picked up the game off the PSN. Which controls are best for beginner? I went with the L/R for L/R brakes, X for accelerate, square for weapons, and O for absorb pickup?

Are the L/R brakes for making tight turns? I don't play many racing games so I'm not sure.

Also, I'll add a few PST people later so if you get a PSN request from nya_08, it's me. :x

L/R are used for making better turns. It's a bit like getting the rear of a car out to make a drift. In the end it just makes your ship turn faster. You still need to use the directional controls too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Has anyone else had issues connecting online? I had success on the first day, but since then it simply doesn't work. When I select multiplayer and press on an event it loads for 10 seconds and then drops me back to the main menu.

How's the sense of progression in this game? Are there a ton of things to unlock?
It feels great to me. Wipeout Pure through HD never grabbed me in that regard. It felt like a grind especially when chunks of races were stuck together.

The map system here, however, is large and enjoyable to navigate. There's no medals this time, rather, two completion grades (regular and elite). Each hex is a single event and there are branching paths that lead to events marked with trophies or new ships. It just flows really nicely. It reminds me a bit of the Explorer from Ridge Racer 6 but even better as the touch interface works really well.

You also level up and unlock new ships. Multiplayer events, which I've had issues getting to due to connection errors, are actually really neat as well, from what I can tell. There is an event grid like single player and each event has its own objectives that you have to complete each race. So even if you do not finish first, you can still finish the event and move on. It feels like a hybrid of single player and multiplayer.

Also, while the loading for a race is typically lengthy, once you're finished with an event it immediately jumps back to the menu and menu navigation is load free so the game still manages to feel polished.

This is my favorite Wipeout game thus far. As much as I loved the PSP games and HD I actually prefer the types of tracks presented here as they are longer, more dramatic, and actually play well with the scenery. That was one element of Wipeout Fusion that I enjoyed but this plays much nicer than Fusion.

C-Jo

I haven't been able to get online at all. It connects to a lobby and just says the race is in progress with no indication of how long it'll take for it to end.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
my eyes...

Are you stuck with Feisar for the first few races? Cant quite workout why it wont let me select others.

KAOS

Does anybody know if there is difference in loading times between the digital version and the card one?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gah, I have this with me at work. I'm trying to play a quick race with the Vita hidden in my desk drawer. This is the first Vita game I've played and it looks pretty damn good.

Jeff-DSA

I still can't connect to PSN through this game. It's the only one I have. Every time I try, i get a network error. To call it frustrating is a huge understatement.

Anybody else have issues?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Zone tracks. Dat OLED. Headphones on.

hnnnnnnnnnngh. How do you unlock the AR stuff I saw in a trailer?

this is driving me nuts guys! where are the secret events?

and where is the ar mode?

Secret events get unlocked when you progress further into the game, both in the campaign as well as in rank. Don't waste your time scanning the background until you receive notification that new secret events are available.

As for the AR mode, I don't know. I've never seen it and I've had the game since day one... just over a month now.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Posted my details earlier but they didn't go into the OP so here they are again :

Gaf: julls
PSN: ollie_pooch
Timezone GMT+10

btkadams

Secret events get unlocked when you progress further into the game, both in the campaign as well as in rank. Don't waste your time scanning the background until you receive notification that new secret events are available.

As for the AR mode, I don't know. I've never seen it and I've had the game since day one... just over a month now.

but i have completed all of the events...(not the side events on the left-bottom corner though). do the speed events on the bottom left unlock them?

i posted my details before and they are also not int he op.
Gaf: btkadams
PSN: btkadams
Timezone MST -7

Ragnarok Odyssey is fun as hell and needs to be localized.

Yes it is, but wrong thread. lol

Anyway, I didn't know we had a PSN name list in the OP. Add me, please? PSN is Revolutionary. EST

but i have completed all of the events...(not the side events on the left-bottom corner though). do the speed events on the bottom left unlock them?
Well, you've unlocked prototype challenges have you not? Those count as secret events! lol
I think the A+ secret challenges start to pop up around rank 20-25, can't remember for sure.

The events on the bottom left are purely for speed lap purposes and competing with friends - they don't have anything to do with unlocks, as far as I know. I may be wrong though because I've barely touched them.

btkadams

Yes it is, but wrong thread. lol

Anyway, I didn't know we had a PSN name list in the OP. Add me, please? PSN is Revolutionary. EST

Well, you've unlocked prototype challenges have you not? Those count as secret events! lol
I think the A+ secret challenges start to pop up around rank 20-25, can't remember for sure.

The events on the bottom left are purely for speed lap purposes and competing with friends - they don't have anything to do with unlocks, as far as I know. I may be wrong though because I've barely touched them.

i only unlocked the first prototype event that is touching the wiepout 2048 logo. i'm looking for the others and nothing has popped up since. i've completed the campaign and everything ughhhhh AHHHHHHHHHH GAHHHH UGH.

maybe it is tied to your rank. mine is only 19. i'll start playing some online.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This explains the AR mode situation:

ObKD3.png

It's not in the game!...well, yet.

Oppo

Ok who's playin' this. I buckled like a cheap belt like I always do for Wipeout and am downloading it now.

PSN: Nerfgun

jlevel13

I feel like the online isn't very well thought out. Frustrating that it just dumps you in a room, doesn't say how long a race will last, just that it's ongoing. Took forever to get into that first race, then it's the combat mode (which feels blah and takes ages with just the four other people spread out all over the rather long track). Dumps you back into the lobby after the race, people slowly quit out as nobody is getting put in the lobby and there aren't enough players to start the next race...

Was a bit aggrieved with the initial controls until I found the "wipeout" option in settings and got things back to normal.

Disabled pilot assist as well, so now I'm in the "ping-pong" phase as I learn the tracks. Maybe I'm getting too old for wipeout, but I'm getting my ass kicked at the moment.

Love the way the game looks though. It's certainly an impressive launch title for the vita, and it feels like wipeout. The more "retro" aesthetic as the world is going through the AG change is nice as well, flying over normal roads (and grass!), as well as the initial steps towards the wipeout track layouts. Really nice design.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game is so badass so far. I'm creaming all of the earlier stages but the tracks, the ost and the handling are classic wipeout. The framerate seems to be steady, it's not 60FPS which sucks but at least it runs at a solid 30FPS without drops most of the time.

Top Bottom