• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout 2048 |OT| Back to the Future

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet baby jesus, whoever chose to make bumping the right stick turn your ship around in Combat Events never actually held a Vita. These high point races are more difficult than they need to be because of it.

I can't get 75 points on the Subway for the life of me. Being able to actually turn around would probably help a little.

Edit: Got it after posting this, somehow :lol

robot

For some reason my zone score isn't loading to the leaderboards, nor am I getting the trophy for hitting elite in the event. Tried 3 times now and nothing. Anyone have an issue like this before?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Sweet baby jesus, whoever chose to make bumping the right stick turn your ship around in Combat Events never actually held a Vita. These high point races are more difficult than they need to be because of it.

Hahhaa, bumping the stick happened to me for the first time last night and then I'm racing off, tralalalalala, ahahaha look at that guy going the wrong way and that one and him, hang on a second. Nek minnit - Turn around wrong way.

I wish we could customize controls ourselves :/

Currently using racer controls (feels good, even after playing Wpieout HD for ages) but I can't get over the fact that I have to use X to fire weapons... I'd rather swap [] and X in racer mode.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Cor. Impressed by several tracks, but the drop before the cityscape is gobsmacking. First go at the photo mode:
hwqVL.jpg

kgZSd.jpg

XO6p5.jpg

eks6s.jpg

Hard goddam track though.

Shito

Have you got any tips for the combat events ?
I think those events are very random and more based on luck than skill. Maybe I do something wrong and there are techniques I'm not aware off.
I find those soooo easy to do, probably the ones that give me the less trouble to elite.
All you have to do is follow the game's advice: don't try to race. Just follow the pack, not going too quick so to stay behind the majority of your opponents, take every weapon pad you can find and go crazy on them. And, of course, use a combat ship.

That subway combat 75 was utter random bullshit! Even after beating it, the fact that it was by sheer miracle and luck of the draw sapped any satisfaction i might have had. But at least there was frustrated relief that i will never, ever click its icon again! Not looking forward to next round of combat in 2050 season! Altima and Sol tracks are awesome though!!

I'm making my way through the 2050 season now and I'm really enjoying the game. I do wish there were more race events though, they are by far the most fun.

Number45

I'm a time trial man myself. Quick question, can I go back to the 2048 races (for elites) even after I've moved onto later seasons?

I'm a time trial man myself. Quick question, can I go back to the 2048 races (for elites) even after I've moved onto later seasons?
Yeah, all of the events and seasons are shown on the same map. You can just scroll back over to older events from previous seasons if you want to go back to them.

So, if I can't get the game to work online, I should transfer it to my PC, delete it from my Vita, rename/delete the patch folder on the PC and transfer it back to the Vita?

I'm really disappointed how short the single player is, only 3 years? you can breeze through it in a couple hours.

Kind of seems like an expansion pack if anything

Curufinwe

I'm sticking with Wipeout, just rolling my thumb up/across for hitting square and circle.

In Wipeout HD I have thrust on O, and I can easily reach my thumb down or up to press either X or /\ without having to take it off thrust.

Studio Liverpool really dropped the ball with the controls in 2048.

Got my free copy the other day and so far have really been enjoying it, im not that much into racers but the Wipeout series always feels different enough to keep me coming back :)

On a side note, how do you use the near features for this such as posting challenges ect as i have no idea? Do you have to do it in game (as i havent seen anything relating to it) or through Near (which i also havent seen anything for it)?

Man

XO6p5.jpg

Why haven't I seen condensation (traffic) strips in Sci-fi before? Makes sense that they would be there.

So, if I can't get the game to work online, I should transfer it to my PC, delete it from my Vita, rename/delete the patch folder on the PC and transfer it back to the Vita?

Well, it isn't working. Guess I have to delete everything, redownload the game, redownload the online pass and THEN patch the game.

Oh, and start over.

What the fuck Team Liverpool -_-

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Apparently they'll be patching in some things they didn't get finished in time for launch, as well as producing DLC. Also mentions that a chunk of the studio is moving on to 'something else' now.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-get-new-features-new-ways-to-play-in-future/

"We're looking into other things to enhance the toolset of the game. So we're looking on to custom controls, potentially some kind of multiplayer extension," said Jones.

"New features are going to be added, new ways to play. I can't really talk about that now but the AR museum is a good example. We've shown it, it is coming, we just didn't have to get it nailed before release. It's just one of those things - you've got a list of so many thing you've got to do before a certain time and there's a cut off point."

He continued by stating that the team was now "moving on to something else" but there's "still a fairly substantial team there looking after, not only this game, but potential future projects in the same area."

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Because Wipeout has always seemingly thought A LOT about the world that surrounds their futuristic racer, a helluva lot more than most science fiction devs. Working the tracks around real cities, actually charting how and where the technology behind the ships all evolved from, giving the Team's varied history...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently they'll be patching in some things they didn't get finished in time for launch, as well as producing DLC. Also mentions that a chunk of the studio is moving on to 'something else' now.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-get-new-features-new-ways-to-play-in-future/

I'd like to see an expansion with more new content. Not just the HD/Fury tracks, though those will be nice (especially since I'll apparently be getting them "Free").

Racebox mode would be very nice too, I imagine something like that is probably coming.

Number45

In Wipeout HD I have thrust on O, and I can easily reach my thumb down or up to press either X or /\ without having to take it off thrust.

Studio Liverpool really dropped the ball with the controls in 2048.

I'm not having too much trouble at the moment, but I'm pretty early in at the moment. Agreed though, seems like an oversight (as it all too often is these days) not to allow fully customisable controls. :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Yeah, as much as I'm enjoying the game, it's clear that they had to rush a few things to get it out in time for launch. The lack of Racebox makes no sense, there's no downside to including it and it seems like it something that isn't terribly difficult to implement. It should be added in a free patch, but I'd pay for it as DLC if it's reasonably price.

kerrak

I enjoy this game, and want to enjoy it more, but I suck so bad at it.

Anyone have any tips?

Don't overdo it. Try to make subtle direction changes. It's progressive and relatively responsive even at minimum tweaks.
I recommend "Wipeout" control method as it is easier to control the air brakes.
Make sure you step on acceleration pads as much as you can and also use the air jump.
With practice and practice the game will soon "click", and you'll be able to enjoy more the game, specially zone mode.

Deadstar

I was playing combat on Sol and got killed after going over a jump. I continued to spawn in mid air between with no road underneath me. I just kept falling until the match was over. Hopefully that will be patched out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was playing combat on Sol and got killed after going over a jump. I continued to spawn in mid air between with no road underneath me. I just kept falling until the match was over. Hopefully that will be patched out.

This isn't quite as drastic, but I was playing Zone on one of the new maps (can't remember the name), and I accidentally flew off the side of a bridge when it got too fast. It respawned me on the bridge, but pointing at an angle where I'd fly off the side of the no matter what. I kept respawning and flying off the bridge until the ship blew up. It was hilarious, but frustrating at the time.

I like Studio Liverpool, I really do, but this is getting waaay too frustrating.

The game just won't work online for me! I tried deleting everything, redownloading and installing the game, the online pass and then the patch and nothing. I also tried reusing my old save and while the save works fine, I still can't play online at all!!

"You have been signed out of PlayStation Network."

I'm really starting to regret buying this game off PSN. What the fuck is wrong with it? And most important, what the hell can I do?

CAVE343

Which camera view are you guys using? I can't seem to choose between close and far.
Since this is the first time I'm really into Wipeout, which camera view is seen as best?

Or does it boil down to preference?

SkylineRKR

I use the default one, and the controls at Wipeout setting.

This game is SO freaking good. I love Race, Time trails and Zone. Combat I enjoy from time to time.

Any chance for Gare d Europa and Valparaiso making the cut as DLC?

CLEEK

If you use normal breaks in a Wipeout game, you're doing it wrong.

Think of them like sliding in Mario Kart. They let you take corners at a much tighter angle, without reducing your speed. Let's say you're approaching a sharp right turn. Turn right on the stick as normal, then tap R1 to increase your turning angle.

It's a skill to get the balance between lock on the left stick and the use of airbreaks. If you use airbreaks, you probably don't want full lock on the stick or you'll turn too tightly. Zone mode is the best place to practice using airbreaks.

The secondary use of air-breaks is the side move. Double tap the airbreak and you lurch quickly to the slide in that direction (double tap L1 to move left etc). Useful if you're about to twat into the side, or you quickly want to line up for a speed/weapon pad. You don't change direction when doing the sideways move, so whichever way you were pointing stays the same.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just played the first few event and I'm very impressed. Dem grfx, and the controls are smooth as butter.

SteeloDMZ is the username if someone wants to add me!

The secondary use of air-breaks is the side move. Double tap the airbreak and you lurch quickly to the slide in that direction (double tap L1 to move left etc). Useful if you're about to twat into the side, or you quickly want to line up for a speed/weapon pad. You don't change direction when doing the sideways move, so whichever way you were pointing stays the same.

Good information, will definitely use in the future. It's weird coming into the Vita after missing out on so many now classic franchises (for me, namely Lumines and Wip3out). Some of the controls or mechanics that are mostly considered common knowledge by fans of the series are lost on me, and it's a bit of steep learning curve for some of the games. That being said, I've been enjoying the game so far, and can't wait to sink a larger chunk of time with it this weekend and hopefully try out some multiplayer.

btkadams

Anyone is able to play this online?

i haven't had any problems connecting, but a couple days ago i went on to find that all of my progress in the online campaign was wiped... i still am at the same rank so i still have the xp i earned from the online campaign. so weird. i don't know why they have fucked up the online so much for people.

timnich

Should I be easing up on the acceleration at any point of going into corners, or should I be relying entirely on the air brakes?

Playing this game without the driving assist is so hard, but I actually feel in control of the aircraft. The driving assist makes it feel like its on autopilot. Did the PSP games have the option to turn off the assists as well?

btkadams

Should I be easing up on the acceleration at any point of going into corners, or should I be relying entirely on the air brakes?

Playing this game without the driving assist is so hard, but I actually feel in control of the aircraft. The driving assist makes it feel like its on autopilot. Did the PSP games have the option to turn off the assists as well?

i don't even remember the pilot assist option in the psp games. i was pretty sure that was introduced in wipeout hd (could be wrong).

If you use normal breaks in a Wipeout game, you're doing it wrong.

Think of them like sliding in Mario Kart. They let you take corners at a much tighter angle, without reducing your speed. Let's say you're approaching a sharp right turn. Turn right on the stick as normal, then tap R1 to increase your turning angle.

It's a skill to get the balance between lock on the left stick and the use of airbreaks. If you use airbreaks, you probably don't want full lock on the stick or you'll turn too tightly. Zone mode is the best place to practice using airbreaks.

Thanks, switched to wipeout controls

Man, those A+ challenges are just stupid. You would think that 10 laps is plenty of time to reach first, but the AI just doesn't let you get anywhere.

Other than to say I have the PSN version and I get online without fuss (I haven't played any online campaign though, just the leaderboard stuff), no. Sorry. :(

The thing is, the leaderboards work perfectly fine... but when I enter any menu that isn't single player campaign it kicks me out after a few seconds or after I touch the first event icon :/ I really don't get it.

Top Bottom