• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Had some initial crashes, before realising I hadn't updated to the latest nvidia drivers. Doh. Running nicely now though. Fairly steady at 1080p locked 30 fps on a very modest rig of a8 5500 and 750ti mostly medium settings some high. Pretty impressed!

NIN90

Two things to try.

1. Reshade/Sweetfx does NOT work with any overlay programs. This includes Fraps, Rivatuner, RadeonPro, Afterburner, and possibly steam

2. Rename DXGI.DLL to D3d11.DLL and see if that works

Thank you. Turning on Fraps worked. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that myself since that is like the #1 culprit for crashes on startup in any game.

It works now and it even says that it loaded the configuration but I don't see any difference to vanilla W3. :(
Is there a keyboard key I need to hit toggle it on and off?

heringer

Thank you. Turning on Fraps worked. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that myself since that is like the #1 issue for crashes on startup in any game.

It works now and it even says that it loaded the configuration but I don't see any difference to vanilla W3. :(
Is there a keyboard key I need to hit toggle it on and off?

There is a toggle key, but it isn't working with Witcher 3 at the moment.

Try alt tab to see if you can spot the difference (when you alt tab and return to the game, ReShade reloads).

roytheone

Oh wow, only just now I discovered that the 1.03 patch had reset my texture setting to low, apparently I was playing the game for at least 3 hours on low texture settings, without realizing it!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The Witch Hunters outpost is giving me very bad performance, the frame rate is all over the place, whereas I'm getting 60fps locked everywhere else, there's no reason for it as it's inside and there's no one even here.
It's the building where you face Menge

M.D

I'm glad it worked!! I just set it to global and it still downclocks itself when I'm idling so it's not like it's running at high voltage/high clocks all the time, just when there's load on it (at least that's what my MSI Afterburner shows). EDIT: Though I just did some research and people have encountered problems when setting it to global so I guess I'm just going to set it back to "prefer maximum performance" for just the game since I don't want to run into anything strange.

I set it to global at first but it was not far from working at full clock and at 39 temp compared to 30-34 when idling before so I turned it off and set it only for the game again

Hopefully it won't happen again!

God bless you and your reshade, Drogean. This is at 4k. 20 fps :'(.....

17381809473_4fb2c2cc5d_o.png

BUYING 10 FPS! BUYING 10 FPS! ANYONE SELLING?

looks too washed out

MrTexor

Few things to check
Check to make sure it seated in the PCIe slot correctly.
Make sure the PCIe power cables are plugged in to the card.
Install the correct drivers? Google Display Driver Uninstaller, run it, install fresh drivers
Any other dirvers having issues? Check your device manager to see if you have anything labeled "unknown device".

the card is seated correcty in the PCIe slot. the pcie power cables are indeed plugged in to the card. the correct drivers are installed (I ran DDU and reinstalled just to be sure). no other drivers are having issues...

I also installed evga Precision X16. My GPU is stucked at 135MHz. I can make it run at max, but clicking the "kboost" option, but unfortunately once a game starts it goes back to 135 MHz.. I have a 500W Corsair power supply. I'm thinking the cpu is getting all the power and starving the gpu.. maybe :'(

Is the .bak file in my documents the file I want to be messing with primarily? I noticed a bunch of .ini files in the game's directory as well.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else dropping FPS when using bombs? Every time I use Northen Wind for example it jolts down to the low 50s for a split second, it's very jarring.

CHC

I'm giving up. Can't get either SweetFX or ReShade to work.

Sorry if it's been asked but did you install it via Reshade and then rename Reshade64.dll to dxgi.dll? That's the only way it worked for me (plus disable any overlays like Fraps of Rivatuner). Good luck.

NIN90

Sorry if it's been asked but did you install it via Reshade and then rename Reshade64.dll to dxgi.dll? That's the only way it worked for me (plus disable any overlays like Fraps of Rivatuner). Good luck.

Yeah I'm trying to get this preset to work: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164891007&postcount=5323

The contents in the zip file are these:
capture33u4p.png

So it should be just drag and drop in the x64 folder since the dll is already renamed.
I even get the message in the upper left corner that ReShade is loaded but the graphics remain unchanged.

Drogean

Yeah I'm trying to get this preset to work: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164891007&postcount=5323

The contents in the zip file are these:
capture33u4p.png

So it should be just drag and drop in the x64 folder since the dll is already renamed.
I even get the message in the upper left corner that ReShade is loaded but the graphics remain unchanged.

Are you on Windows 8.1 by any chance? Some people are reporting reshade does not work on 8.1

Also try this instead, updated version

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/23/

SinSilla

Could you share your ini settings? I have a 780 Ti, but I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Hairworks is nice especially in the wet but not sure if it's worth the big performance hit.

What ini changes have you made? My settings right now are:

2351x1323
Everything on Ultra except Shadows (High).
30 fps
Hairworks ON
GrassDensity: 3600

I really don't know why people only consider 1440p or 4K when there are a bunch of other resolutions. 1800p should suffice for a lot of people just short of 4K, for example.

I haven't done that much, you can see the changes in bold below. This is how it looks like.

3vhn6A9.jpg

Code:
[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=150
[Hidden]
HasSetup=true
uiVerticalFrameScale=1
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1
[Localization]
SpeechLanguage=DE
TextLanguage=DE
Subtitles=false
[Viewport]
VSync=false
Resolution="2560x1440"
FullScreenMode=2
VSyncThreshold=0
OutputMonitor=-1
[Hud]
HudSize=0
[Budget]
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadowTime=1
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTickedTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedGrass=30000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamic=10
cvMaxAllowedDynMeshes=104857600
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinnedTime=2.5
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesSkinned=100000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSSTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadow=3
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=100
cvMaxAllowedApexTicked=60
cvMaxAllowedActiveEnvProbesTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedStatTextures=314572800
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTree=5000
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadowsTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTreeTime=2.2
cvMaxAllowedChunksStatic=1500
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesStatic=500000
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunks=25
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamicTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadows=40
cvMaxAllowedChunksStaticTime=1.5
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinned=400
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTicked=20
cvMaxAllowedStatMeshes=209715200
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunksTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedApexTickedTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedCharTextures=209715200
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCountTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCount=1000
cvMaxAllowedGrassTime=1.5
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSS=160
[Audio]
Subtitles=false
[LoadingScreen/TCR]
ShowProgress=true
[Game]
DoNotPauseWhileStopped=false
[PostProcess]
SharpenAmount=0
MotionBlurPositionTreshold=0.05
MotionBlurRotationTreshold=1
AllowAntialias=false
SSAOSolution=2
[Input]
PadVibrationEnabled=true
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
InvertCameraXOnMouse=false
InvertCameraYOnMouse=false
CameraAutoRotX=true
InvertCameraX=false
UIMouseSensitivity=0.3
CameraAutoRotY=true
RightStickCameraSensitivity=1
InvertCameraY=false
RightStickAimSensitivity=1
MouseSensitivity=0.3
[DLC]
DlcEnabled_dlc_001_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_002_001=1
[Gameplay]
Difficulty=3
[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=200
DecalsHideDistance=80
DimmerHideDistance=60
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=20
StripeHideDistance=60
[General]
ConfigVersion=1
[LoadingScreen/Editor]
Disabled=false
[LoadingOverlay/TCR]
FadeOutCooldownExtraTime=1
FadeInSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveSpinnerTime=3
FadeOutSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveEndCooldown=1
[Visuals]
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
MovieFramerate=30
GammaValue=1.48
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02
[Rendering]
[B]GrassDensity=3600[/B]
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=64
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1
[B]CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=3[/B]
MaxTextureAnizotropy=8
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000
TextureMemoryBudget=800
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1.5
MeshLODDistanceScale=1
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=1
TerrainReadAheadDistance=200
HairWorksLevel=0
MaxTextureAnisotropy=16
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.6
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
HardwareCursor=true
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=6
CascadeShadowmapSize=3072
[B]CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=2[/B]
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1.5
CascadeShadowQuality=1
[B]CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=2[/B]
[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=true
EnablePan=true
EnableGestures=true
EnablePinch=true
[LoadingScreen]
FadeInTime=3
SkipShowWithAnyKey=true
GameRevealTime=3
SkipHideDelay=3
SkipInputDelay=0.25
FadeOutTime=1.5
SkipAutoshow=false
[Engine]
LimitFPS=0
[Rendering/SpeedTree]
[B]GrassGenerationEfficiency=0.001[/B]
GrassDistanceScale=1.5
FoliageDistanceScale=1.8
[B]FoliageShadowDistanceScale=108[/B]
GrassRingSize=16777216
[Save]
ShowCompatWarning=true
[Kinect]
Kinect=true
[Foliage]
MaxVisibilityDepth=24

finalflame

Guys -- this is driving me insane. The game will NOT let me set it to Fullscreen anymore. I select it, confirm, and it just goes right back to Borderless Window. What the fuck is happening? Has anyone else had this issue? I've tried uninstalling the user.settings, and entirely deleting that folder while keeping my save games, but nothing seems to do it :(

Had some initial crashes, before realising I hadn't updated to the latest nvidia drivers. Doh. Running nicely now though. Fairly steady at 1080p locked 30 fps on a very modest rig of a8 5500 and 750ti mostly medium settings some high. Pretty impressed!

I take that all back. after an hour or so of steady performance, I kept getting freezes constantly and a noise akin to being ripped out of the matrix. Rolling back to the GTA V driver seems to have fixed it though.

VashTS

Guys -- this is driving me insane. The game will NOT let me set it to Fullscreen anymore. I select it, confirm, and it just goes right back to Borderless Window. What the fuck is happening? Has anyone else had this issue? I've tried uninstalling the user.settings, and entirely deleting that folder while keeping my save games, but nothing seems to do it :(

For some reason the window (game exe in taskbar) has to be clicked after launching. It's a strange glitch that needs to be addressed imo.

I am having the same issue. Annoying.

Ok just double checked by disabling SLI: I get the same performance with SLI enabled as I do with it disabled. SLI is completely broken right now.

I'm using the SLI bits from the latest Nvidia update but I'm not using the latest Nvidia drivers because they're so unstable that they BSOD my computer on load up. Not that I think that matters as I tried the game with the latest drivers this morning and had the same problem of SLI not working.

Are you using GeForce Experience? It defaults Witcher III settings back to what it considers optimal at every boot-up. You can go into its Preferences menu to switch it off.

finalflame

I am having the same issue. Annoying.

For some reason the window (game exe in taskbar) has to be clicked after launching. It's a strange glitch that needs to be addressed imo.

Thanks guys. I jumped the gun and just reinstalled the entire fucking game, so it's downloading now (150mbit internet, so not a bother).

That said, glad to know I'm not alone. I'll try these solutions once it's reinstalled.

Are you using GeForce Experience? It defaults Witcher III settings back to what it considers optimal at every boot-up. You can go into its Preferences menu to switch it off.

Where in GeForce experience is that? I disabled "Automatically scan for games daily" and "Recommend optimal settings", but can't see a preference to disable auto-setting optimal settings.

Zakalwe

Banned
Shit I just realized I never installed the latest nvidia drivers that came out around launch.

Think I'll get any performance increase on my 970?

I rolled back my drivers (GTAv set) to try to combat the crashes and got the exact same performance.

970 here too.

I haven't compared them post 1.03 though.

shandy706

Gonna install the game on my secondary, older, gaming rig right now for anyone interested in performance on older stuff.

Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHZ
4GB DDR3
GTX 460 2GB

I know how well my i7/980 handles it..lets try something different.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Guys can anyone give more suggestions on how to eliminate stutter/hitching/judder that occurs during camera or character movement even with above 60 fps on a GSync 144hz monitor and a SLI 980 set up? Game is installed on a SSD. Tried the following without fixing it:

- Disabling Sli
- Enable triple buffering
- Experimenting with different VSync options, GSync still best option
- Tried borderless fullscreen, even worse
- Capping frames at 60
- setting pre-rendered frames to 1 in Nvidia control panel
- Changing all graphics settings to low, fps goes much higher at 144 but judder/stuttering still there
- trying different refresh rates

When I move the camera there is a noticeable ghosting effect/after image that doesn't occur on other games like GTA5 or Ground zeroes and the camera movement doesn't feel smooth, there is a separate issue that causes stutter when moving, I suspect this is related to streaming though... Maybe you all have this but I'm just more sensitive to it?

This might be a better spot to ask this than the OT.

Has anyone installed the DRM free version from GOG, not using Galaxy? How big was the download? Patching require downloading separate .EXEs like the pre-Steam days?

Not sure I want to bother with Galaxy for just one game.

finalflame

Guys can anyone give more suggestions on how to eliminate stutter/hitching/judder that occurs during camera or character movement even with above 60 fps on a GSync 144hz monitor and a SLI 980 set up? Game is installed on a SSD. Tried the following without fixing it:

- Disabling Sli
- Enable triple buffering
- Experimenting with different VSync options, GSync still best option
- Tried borderless fullscreen, even worse
- Capping frames at 60
- setting pre-rendered frames to 1 in Nvidia control panel
- Changing all graphics settings to low, fps goes much higher at 144 but judder/stuttering still there
- trying different refresh rates

When I move the camera there is a noticeable ghosting effect/after image that doesn't occur on other games like GTA5 or Ground zeroes and the camera movement doesn't feel smooth, there is a separate issue that causes stutter when moving, I suspect this is related to streaming though... Maybe you all have this but I'm just more sensitive to it?

I've definitely noticed this on and off. It's a shame you're experiencing it with such a beastly rig. I have the same setup, but instead of a 144hz G-Sync monitor it seems to happen on both a 1080p60 TV and a 1440p/120hz Korean IPS monitor.

I have a feeling it must be there for everyone, and people's sensitivity just varies. I go back and forth between noticing it and not noticing it :/

Edit: Holy FUCKING SHIT. Even after reinstalling the game, deleting the Documents\The Witcher 3 folder, unplugging secondary monitor, shutting down GeForce Experience, and making sure I have selected TW3 icon in the taskbar, I STILL CANNOT FUCKING SET FULLSCREEN. What is happening?!

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I've definitely noticed this on and off. It's a shame you're experiencing it with such a beastly rig. I have the same setup, but instead of a 144hz G-Sync monitor it seems to happen on both a 1080p60 TV and a 1440p/120hz Korean IPS monitor.

I have a feeling it must be there for everyone, and people's sensitivity just varies. I go back and forth between noticing it and not noticing it :/

Arg, it's really frustrating me to no end. I think once you notice you start to focus on it and it just gets worse and worse.

Top Bottom