• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

What is the difference between borderless windowed mode and fullscreen in the in game options? Is there a reason fullscreen would be better? Kind of looks exactly the same and I'm assuming BWM is less taxing

Appreciate it, but I'm not a big 'tweaker' myself. I like to leave that to people who know what they're doing. :)

I will make a "darker nights" preset with more natural colors (SweetFX or GEMFX), but I will not include any lighting/bloom tweaks. Oh yeah; HDR and bloom have a noticeable performance hit, so I wouldn't advice people to use them in The Witcher 3 unless their machines are way above the 60fps mark in the game.

Messing around with lift-gamma-gain is better performance-wise.

What is the difference between borderless windowed mode and fullscreen in the in game options? Is there a reason fullscreen would be better? Kind of looks exactly the same and I'm assuming BWM is less taxing

Fullscreen has varied frame-timing, so it produces screen-tearing and stuttering.

Derp

Borderless window will give you automatic triple buffering, eliminate tearing, and give you the alt-tabbing speed of the gods.

Hahaha "OCD save". I love it.
I really try not to do it, but I can't help myself. Before I tried the controller quick save I would forget to save for periods of time.

It's weird, I prefer playing with KB+M on almost everything else in the game, but I like combat with the controller better.

Qassim

Whilst the game runs acceptably with generally 60-70fps for me all maxed out (excluding hairworks), I have decided to push Foliage distance down to high, it seemingly removes those instances where it drops below the 60s and stays there and is often now in the 80s-90s. It keeps the frametimes more consistent too, which is crucial. I probably even have spare headroom for Hairworks now, but I'm waiting for a way to disable it for Geralt but have it for the monsters/animals.

oxidax

Does the grass catch fire when the fire sign is used? I cant remember if I saw that on the trailer and I just noticed that I think im missing that fx. or not..

Does anyone know ideal settings for 30fps on gtx670 and i7-2700k?

Seems like draw distance, hairworks, and grass settings need to be lower but a lot of things can be set to ultra, right?

Derp

haha, so why the hell would anyone use fullscreen?
Well I use fullscreen because I have a 4k monitor. Since borderless window forces you to play at your monitor's native resolution (otherwise it'll be a smaller window that doesn't cover the screen, since it doesn't fill the screen like fullscreen does), which would be 4k for me, which would give me 20 fps, which is not fun.

The other problem is that DSR won't work with borderless window since it's running the game at a resolution higher than your native res, so the window will be bigger than your screen (someone had this problem just then, on this page somewhere).

I really try not to do it, but I can't help myself. Before I tried the controller quick save I would forget to save for periods of time.

It's weird, I prefer playing with KB+M on almost everything else in the game, but I like combat with the controller better.
I do the same though. I save so much at so many points it's crazy. Like halfway to a destination I'll save. Then just before i arrive I'll save. And then right after doing something I'll save. Loot something. Save. Kill something. Save. Talk to npc. Save.

It's literally a habit now.

Qassim

Some technologies like SLI/Crossfire and G-Sync/Freesync only work in full screen. But then with stuff like G-Sync and Freesync, you wouldn't need to put it in windowed mode anyway, you just miss out on being able to alt-tab super quickly.

That's why I don't use borderless windowed anyway except for things like Civilization, where I don't need SLI and G-Sync isn't necessary, so as a turn based game I like to be able to alt-tab out quickly.

SinSilla

Okay, i just made the move from:

1080p/30fps/ultra+ini/Hairworks On
to
1440p/30fps/ultra+ini/Hairworks Off

Running on a single 970 g1 and an i5 2500k@4,2GHz. No headroom left at all, dips to 31fps in worst case.

Even though i really love what hairworks does to creatures and i was sure to keep it i gotta say the extra resolution with that much foliage on screen is nicer.

The default hair looks good as well, doesnt hurt so much.

Seanspeed

Banned
I will make a "darker nights" preset with more natural colors (SweetFX or GEMFX), but I will not include any lighting/bloom tweaks. Oh yeah; HDR and bloom have a noticeable performance hit, so I wouldn't advice people to use them in The Witcher 3 unless their machines are way above the 60fps mark in the game.

Messing around with lift-gamma-gain is better performance-wise.
That'd be cool. :)

Because fullscreen often has general higher performance. Higher just doesn't always equal better in certain cases.

For me, I stick with fullscreen unless I cant get vsync to work properly.

I would love to play this game in 4K, but my single 980 just isn't enough for that. I don't really care about HairWorks, but I DO want every slider at Ultra. I you really want 4K and Ultra settings I'd think you'd need at least a 980 SLI setup. Or a Titan X? All I know is my single 980 isn't enough.

Right now I'm playing at 2804 x 1577, all Ultra settings and no HairWorks on a 1440p monitor. Looks great and grants me a capped 40 fps (G-sync).

4K Ultra* 30pfs is possible if you are willing to compromise in a couple of sliders. That's what I am playing at and looks better to me than an upscaled 1080p with all on Ultra and Hairworks on.

SinSilla

Whats the hottest sweetfx preset around so far? Is there something without excessive use of sharpening and crushed shadows?

Jimrpg

I'm on a i5-4690k (stock 3.5Ghz) and GTX 970 G1 and 16gb Ram

I'm using 1440p, high settings across the board, hairworks off and turned off pretty much all post processing effects. It looks amazing (though not as amazing as ultra).

Getting between 60-70fps.

I guess its a $350 graphics card for high, or $1000 Titan X for Ultra at 1440p. :(

Do you guys think overclocking CPU and GPU would bring tangible benefits? I ask cause I'm really pressed for time to play the game, so I'd much rather be playing the game than actually stuffing around with overclocking for now.

Derp

to

Running on a single 970 g1 and an i5 2500k@4,2GHz. No headroom left at all, dips to 31fps in worst case.

Even though i really love what hairworks does to creatures and i was sure to keep it i gotta say the extra resolution with that much foliage on screen is nicer.

That's what I'm on. 780 Ti here. Only difference is I've got foliage distance scaling on high.

I was hoping I'd get 4k 30 fps, but there's no chance. I've tried all sorts of stuff to get the fps up while not impacting IQ and graphics that much, but nothing has given me enough of a boost (I need to gain like 10 fps somehow).

SinSilla

That's what I'm on. 780 Ti here. Only difference is I've got foliage distance scaling on high.

I was hoping I'd get 4k 30 fps, but there's no chance. I've tried all sorts of stuff to get the fps up while not impacting IQ and graphics that much, but nothing has given me enough of a boost (I need to gain like 10 fps somehow).

Well, shadow quality high still looks very good and should give a nice boost. Getting rid of post processing adds a couple fps as well if you havent already.

a7jwh5jp.jpg

This is how it looks on my laptop.

It rarely drops below 30 FPS, so its locked stable 30 FPS.

GTX 850M
i5 4210U
8 GB

Settings:

medium draw distance, low shadow quality, everything else high, textures max

Every Post Processing setting on.

1366x768.

I'm also surprised my CPU isn't the bottleneck. In CPU limit it can do 50-60 FPS in the wild, and 40-50 FPS in towns. Impressive.

IMACOMPUTA

I can't even play this game at 1440p with 780ti. I can't stand the constant drops to 30/40 fps. The only way I can get rid of them is with all post process off and settings on low. Its driving me insane. I'm waiting for a driver.

Soi-Fong

to

Could you share your ini settings? I have a 780 Ti, but I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Hairworks is nice especially in the wet but not sure if it's worth the big performance hit.

Derp

Well, shadow quality high still looks very good and should give a nice boost. Getting rid of post processing adds a couple fps as well if you havent already.
The only things I'm willing to sacrifice for 4k are shadows (to medium), foliage distance (high - which it is already), HairWorks (off - which it is already), AA (off - which it is already) and everything else maxed. So the only thing I can do is bring shadows to medium, which I've tried, but I'm still pretty far off from 30 fps (like I said before I'd need another 10 fps after changing these settings to be at a constant 30).

All I can do is pray for the upcoming driver update that fixes the Kepler's poor performance. But there's no way in hell that will give me more than 5 fps. So um.... I give up.

I'm on a i5-4690k (stock 3.5Ghz) and GTX 970 G1 and 16gb Ram

I'm using 1440p, high settings across the board, hairworks off and turned off pretty much all post processing effects. It looks amazing (though not as amazing as ultra).

Getting between 60-70fps.

I guess its a $350 graphics card for high, or $1000 Titan X for Ultra at 1440p. :(

Do you guys think overclocking CPU and GPU would bring tangible benefits? I ask cause I'm really pressed for time to play the game, so I'd much rather be playing the game than actually stuffing around with overclocking for now.

Sorry for double post.

CPU won't benefit much more. Check out Durante's post on PC Gamer (http://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-witcher-3-analysis-the-alchemy-of-smoothness), where he shows that it scales well with multiple cores (up to 4), but anything past 2.2ghz doesn't help.

In terms of OCing your graphics card, it seems that the game crashes frequently when there's any instability with the GPU. Once again, Durante touches on this in his article.

TL;DR - over clocking CPU won't help you, and over clocking GPU will cause the game to crash.

tuxfool

Banned
The other problem is that DSR won't work with borderless window since it's running the game at a resolution higher than your native res, so the window will be bigger than your screen (someone had this problem just then, on this page somewhere).

Just change your desktop resolution. Then borderless should be fine.

heringer

to

What ini changes have you made? My settings right now are:

2351x1323
Everything on Ultra except Shadows (High).
30 fps
Hairworks ON
GrassDensity: 3600

I really don't know why people only consider 1440p or 4K when there are a bunch of other resolutions. 1800p should suffice for a lot of people just short of 4K, for example.

Derp

Just change your desktop resolution. Then borderless should be fine.
I've always thought of doing that but I wouldnt like having to change back and forth when I want to play or stop playing. Not just that though, I very often like switching to 4k to take screenshots or to just walk around drooling over scenery. Foliage at 4k is just... Holy shit. Wish I had just 10 extra fps :p

Drogean

I just did that now (renamed the x64 dll to dxgi.dll) and the game keeps crashing as soon as I start it.

Two things to try.

1. Reshade/Sweetfx does NOT work with any overlay programs. This includes Fraps, Rivatuner, RadeonPro, Afterburner, and possibly steam

2. Rename DXGI.DLL to D3d11.DLL and see if that works

Top Bottom