• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Thanks guys. I jumped the gun and just reinstalled the entire fucking game, so it's downloading now (150mbit internet, so not a bother).

That said, glad to know I'm not alone. I'll try these solutions once it's reinstalled.

Where in GeForce experience is that? I disabled "Automatically scan for games daily" and "Recommend optimal settings", but can't see a preference to disable auto-setting optimal settings.

It's below that in Preferences, there's a submenu called Games then 'Automatically apply optimal settings'

finalflame

It's below that in Preferences, there's a submenu called Games then 'Automatically apply optimal settings'

This doesn't fix it :/ This piece of shit game still reverts to Borderless Fullscreen EVERY time I try to set full screen. I have no clue what's going on, this is literally one of the most infuriating things I have ever dealt with.

Dinda

What an absolute Shitshow this game has been since launch. At the beginning I was at least able to play for like 2 hours, since then it only takes like 10 seconds till it crashes, if it decides to let me start it at all.
Tried god knows how many settings etc. Think i'm done with it for now. Let's wait for the next patch. They are lucky that i can't sell my Steam games otherwise i would probably just do that.

finalflame

So moving my resolution to 1920x1080 and then making it fullscreen works. I can then set 2560x1440 and it stays in fullscreen. But if I alt+tab out of and back into the game, or restart the game, it's back to fucking borderless fullscreen.

Borderless fullscreen butchers about 10-20fps in the game for me. This is driving me mad. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Kevin

My GTX 590 runs this game like crap. I was getting about 40 frames maxed on Witcher 2 and now I'm getting between 10-20 frames in the intro area of the game. Not sure if SLI is working or not with my card (probably not). Anyone have any suggestions? What settings can I try to change without majorly sacrificing the visuals?

Ostinatto

witcher-bench-1080-u.jpg

This is without gameworks am i right?

finalflame

witcher-bench-1080-u.jpg

This is without gameworks am i right?

Probably. Just tested and, in the same exact spot, I am getting 108fps at Ultra w/o HairWorks, but everything else absolutely maxed, 1080p.

89fps with HairWorks set to "On", everything else the same.

i5-4670K, 16gb RAM, 2xGTX 980 SLi stock clocks.

Ostinatto

Probably. Just tested and, in the same exact spot, I am getting 108fps at Ultra w/o HairWorks, but everything else absolutely maxed, 1080p.

89fps with HairWorks set to "On", everything else the same.

i5-4670K, 16gb RAM, 2xGTX 980 SLi stock clocks.

To get solid 60 fps 1080p uber w/gameworks i would need a titan x then?

finalflame

Ultra is as high as the game goes, apart from from custom .INI tweaks that are not yet well documented.

A TitanX could probably run the game w/ HairWorks at 1080p relatively close to 60. SLi 980s, I believe, perform about 20-40% better than a single TitanX depending on the application.

That is almost definitely *with* Hairworks.

I dunno, I have the exact same setup with 16gb of RAM and an i5 instead of an i7, and in a non-demanding scene with HairWorks on I get ~90fps. I really doubt this includes HairWorks. My processor/RAM difference would not generate a significant difference from the test system they used.

Kama_1082

Banned
I am extremely happy with the visuals and performance on my 970 GTX with i5 4690:

Running at a solid 60fps @ 1080p

HBAO+
AA on
Bloom on
DOF:eek:ff
Detail: ultra
Grass: High
light shafts: High
background NPCs: High
hairworks: off
Shadows: high
terrain: ultra
texture: high
water: ultra

At 2560x1080 with an i5 4670k and 970, I've had a surprisingly difficult time staying at even high settings at a fairly stable 60fps. It's not THAT much of a resolution increase, but jeez.

So Borderless Windowed or Fullscreen? What do you recommend?
AFAIK, BW gives you Triple Buffering, right?
Running a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, SSD, Win 8.1

KingKong

I've been running the game pretty well so far but I just got to the big city and it's a lot more laggy. Which settings should I turn down to improve this? I tried population density but it didn't seem to do anything

heringer

I am extremely happy with the visuals and performance on my 970 GTX with i5 4690:

Running at a solid 60fps @ 1080p

HBAO+
AA on
Bloom on
DOF:eek:ff
Detail: ultra
Grass: High
light shafts: High
background NPCs: High
hairworks: off
Shadows: high
terrain: ultra
texture: high
water: ultra

You can go higher than that. Leaving hairworks off, shadows and foliage distance on high is enough for you.

finalflame

I don't have any noticeable frame time issues in Fullscreen, and it gives me ~15fps more than Borderless WIndowed. I really dislike BW for the performance hit.

Kama_1082

Banned

Im running full screen with the settings i posted above. I'm very happy with how the game performs.

I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm getting from my 770 4gb and FX 8350. Hairworks if off and everything is just about on ultra. It was getting around 35ish fps, but I just went ahead and locked it to 30 fps.

heringer

Made my peace with:

1440p
30fps lock
Everything on ultra but shadows (high)
Hairworks on
GrassDensity 3600
Hairworks AA: 4x (doesn't help much, but I can't tell the difference from 4x to 8x anyway)

Never goes below 30f fps, and the game looks amazing. The higher resolution really helps to smooth all the foliage.

i5 4460, gtx 970, 8 GB.

higher on which settings? My monitor is only 1080p

Every setting with the exception of shadows and foliage distance, which should stay on high. And hairworks off, of course. 1080p is about right for 60 fps.

TheTurboFD

has anyone messed with the engine settings?

I've tried

Setting Ubersampling = 1
maxtexturesize = 4096 instead of 2048
allowMSAA= 1
MSAAsample = 1

and I haven't seen a difference really :/ Ubersampling and MSAA were set to 0 but switching them to 1 made no difference.

You have an AMD card which are notorious for performing horribly in games that support Nvidia Gameworks. There is no point in asking when we have no idea. Yes you will be able to play the game with that setup, how well we don't know.
Came across a level 15 bear as a level 5. Decided to challenge him, was an epic fight that lasted at least a few minutes.

For some reason I decided to turn hairworks on in the middle of the fight to see how the bear looked. WELP, there goes my 60fps. It looks so freaking incredible. I feel like I need to have this on. ..

Xyber

has anyone messed with the engine settings?

I've tried

Setting Ubersampling = 1
maxtexturesize = 4096 instead of 2048
allowMSAA= 1
MSAAsample = 1

and I haven't seen a difference really :/ Ubersampling and MSAA were set to 0 but switching them to 1 made no difference.

Think they said they haven't activated ubersampling yet and will do so sometime in the future. And MSAA should be set to 2 (or 4 and 8) but I think that isn't working either. The only MSAA that is functional right now is the hairworks one I believe.

GOG Galaxy really isn't vey good. Decided to download to my laptop to give the game a try (not expecting much) and then clicked install. GOG then decided to re-download the game for some unknown reason. I found the folder and clicked the install application there instead. Why the hell did it want to re-download 26GB of data when I simply needed to install the game from the data I had? Didn't have this problem on my desktop.

shandy706

Alright, very surprised how well the game ran on my ancient secondary Rig.

1600x900
GTX 460 2GB
X4 925 @2.8Ghz
4GB DDR3

Everything off/low except....

All of my shots have the frame-rate in one of the corners.

Average was 29-30fps with some dips, but not bad even out and about in the open world, and when fighting 4 creatures at once. However, this dropped into an average of 22-24fps in a town.

More shots on the above settings. The game is still well above average looking even at these settings.

Because the towns caused trouble in the mid-low 20s, I dropped everything to low.

This brought the framerate up to an "acceptable" level if one really wanted to play it. No file tweaking here, just the in-game settings.

Here is the game, everything off/low in town. There were still fluctuations in the 26-32fps range, but the game held around 34-40fps more often than not.

If you don't mind 1600x900 and everything turned down, then you can certainly run the game. I don't have my old rig hooked up to a 1080p set, so I wasn't able to test that. At 1360x768 the game approached the 45-50fps range (for those interested).

This doesn't fix it :/ This piece of shit game still reverts to Borderless Fullscreen EVERY time I try to set full screen. I have no clue what's going on, this is literally one of the most infuriating things I have ever dealt with.
It will only stay on full screen with a capped resolution choice not unlimited

dEvAnGeL

I've read most of this thread and i have to consider myself lucky, the only time i had a crash was when i OCed my GPU, 1 time, when back to stock and never again, have played for over 20 hours and not a single bug or problem, have a 980 and a i7 2600k @4.2, i have mostly everything on ultra, shadows and foliage distance are on high and hairworks is off, i get s rock solid 60, i tried and tested everywhere to bring it down and nothing, solid 60, ended up turning fraps off and started enjoying the game, i love it, it will be hard to play another open world rpg without comparing it to witcher 3, game is indeed phenomenal

M.D

G1 970X - slightly overclocked
16GB ram
1680&1050 resolution

I'm playing with HBAO+, Hairworks turned off and everything on ultra except for foliage distance (read in this thread that it doesn't make a real difference in-game but does for frame-rate, correct me if I'm wrong)

Game feels really great! Got to the inn and rode my horse around, so far no sign of slow downs or anything of that sort.
It's definitely 60 fps or more, the game is incredibly smooth.

Any tips on how to maximize performance with my rig? any way to turn on Hairworks while still maintaining the same graphics quality and 60 fps?

blado

Been playing for since the patch and had no crashes until just now. I was hoping that the crashes were behind me, but it looks like they're not all gone. It was another driver crash with the audio still running. I guess I'll downclock my video card even more.

PFD

Oh wow, only just now I discovered that the 1.03 patch had reset my texture setting to low, apparently I was playing the game for at least 3 hours on low texture settings, without realizing it!

Same thing happened to me. I noticed it by accident when I went to change the resolution.

VashTS

I don't have any noticeable frame time issues in Fullscreen, and it gives me ~15fps more than Borderless WIndowed. I really dislike BW for the performance hit.

Did you not attempt my fix????

Alt tab out of the game and then click icon in taskbar back in. then switch to fullscreen mode in options.

PROFIT

JJKillaNOLE

Neo Member

From my personal experience I have the game completely maxed out, with hairworks on, and never dip below the 60fps mark. This is on a single Titan X @ 1080p. I do have vsync on at the moment until my replacement monitor comes in.

Edit: system specs are

5960x @ 4.0 ghz
Titan X @1400 MHz boost clock
32gb ram

Skyzard

Banned
Checking a problem on my end:

People using the latest chrome and nvidia drivers...
Do you see a difference between the two halves of this image (lack of black crush on the right should be super clear in comparison):
O7onSLn.jpg

For me on chrome, both look like the left side. Was thinking it might be since the new drivers or something as there were some issues with chrome and crashing recently...

TheTurboFD

Think they said they haven't activated ubersampling yet and will do so sometime in the future. And MSAA should be set to 2 (or 4 and 8) but I think that isn't working either. The only MSAA that is functional right now is the hairworks one I believe.

Hmm no wonder. Tried all those and my nvidia drivers instantly crashed.

Blitzhex

G1 970X - slightly overclocked
16GB ram
1680&1050 resolution

I'm playing with HBAO+, Hairworks turned off and everything on ultra except for foliage distance (read in this thread that it doesn't make a real difference in-game but does for frame-rate, correct me if I'm wrong)

Game feels really great! Got to the inn and rode my horse around, so far no sign of slow downs or anything of that sort.
It's definitely 60 fps or more, the game is incredibly smooth.

Any tips on how to maximize performance with my rig? any way to turn on Hairworks while still maintaining the same graphics quality and 60 fps?

Ultra foliage distance makes a huge difference for me. It adds shadows to trees/bushes and increases the number of trees/bushes even a few meters away from you. It adds a lot of depth to the forests and swamps, I turned off hairworks so I could set foliage distance to ultra, they're both very expensive.
Hairworks is kinda wonky even if you lower its AAdetail. Zoom in to Geralts face and fps tanks with hairworks on a 970 while maintaining ultra graphics. It's possible to get 60 fps with random huge drops if you do high shadows, high foliage distance and hairworks on with AAdetail reduced though.

Seanspeed

Banned

Do you see a difference between the two halves of this image (lack of black crush on the right should be super clear in comparison):
O7onSLn.jpg

For me on chrome, both look like the left side. Was thinking it might be since the new drivers or something as there were some issues with chrome and crashing recently...
Two images are definitely different. Black crush on left, fine on right.

Hmm no wonder. Tried all those and my nvidia drivers instantly crashed.
Ubersampling I believe is already used for in-engine 'cutscenes', and I think is otherwise quite useless as we have driver-based downsampling now from both AMD and Nvidia.

O7onSLn.jpg

Yup definite difference.

These new Nvidia drivers have been a disaster. BSOD'ed the shit out of my computer before i reverted back to the GTAV drivers and not had a problem since.

x3sphere

From my personal experience I have the game completely maxed out, with hairworks on, and never dip below the 60fps mark. This is on a single Titan X @ 1080p. I do have vsync on at the moment until my replacement monitor comes in.

Edit: system specs are

5960x @ 4.0 ghz
Titan X @1400 MHz boost clock
32gb ram

Same here. Titan X at 1300 MHz, never dips below 60 at 1080p

Random_Stranger

Neo Member
What an absolute Shitshow this game has been since launch. At the beginning I was at least able to play for like 2 hours, since then it only takes like 10 seconds till it crashes, if it decides to let me start it at all.
Tried god knows how many settings etc. Think i'm done with it for now. Let's wait for the next patch. They are lucky that i can't sell my Steam games otherwise i would probably just do that.

Having the same feeling. If I could return this game I would, but I got it for free with the 970. I have spend days trying to get this to work correctly.

M.D

Ultra foliage distance makes a huge difference for me. It adds shadows to trees/bushes and increases the number of trees/bushes even a few meters away from you. It adds a lot of depth to the forests and swamps, I turned off hairworks so I could set foliage distance to ultra, they're both very expensive.
Hairworks is kinda wonky even if you lower its AAdetail. Zoom in to Geralts face and fps tanks with hairworks on a 970 while maintaining ultra graphics. It's possible to get 60 fps with random huge drops if you do high shadows, high foliage distance and hairworks on with AAdetail reduced though.

Are you able to keep 60 FPS with foliage distance on ultra tho? anything I might need to lower to maintain the frame-rate?

Shame about Hairworks.. looks pretty amazing on monsters from the gifs I saw, but will it do without

anyone else have annoying stutter sometimes? 970 gtx sli i7 4790k 16gb ram

Oh yeah, totally forget to mention... got terrible stuttering during all the cut scenes, whats that all about?

Got the same rig as yours

Corpekata

Banned
The cut scenes are bad for everyone, even console. Reminds me of Alien Isolation in that regard. Seems like something that should be easily patched at least.

Skyzard

Banned
Two images are definitely different. Black crush on left, fine on right.

Yup definite difference.

These new Nvidia drivers have been a disaster. BSOD'ed the shit out of my computer before i reverted back to the GTAV drivers and not had a problem since.

Thanks again guys, I rolled back and it's still the same with a fresh install of chrome, no extensions and totally reset. Firefox ain't the worst anyway.

anyone else have annoying stutter sometimes? 970 gtx sli i7 4790k 16gb ram

Have you set pre-rendered frames to 1 in the control panel? I assume this isn't because of fps dips.

Blitzhex

Are you able to keep 60 FPS with foliage distance on ultra tho? anything I might need to lower to maintain the frame-rate?

Shame about Hairworks.. looks pretty amazing on monsters from the gifs I saw, but will it do without

Oh yeah, totally forget to mention... got terrible stuttering during all the cut scenes, whats that all about?

Got the same rig as yours

Yeah turn down shadows to high for ultra foliage distance, I have an average of 66 fps lowest 58, although my 970 has more than a slight overclock. The difference between high and ultra shadows is negligible and frees up 5 fps or more.
For stuttering set max pre-rendered frames to 1 in driver settings and set game to fullscreen mode.

did you ever set the config ini to read only?

Top Bottom