• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

mintyice

Just a few screenshots from my rig.

i5 4670k @ 4.4ghz
EVGA GTX 760 2GB SC ACX
8GB RAM

Settings:
Motion Blur: On
Blur: On
Anti-aliasing: Off
Bloom: On
Sharpening: Off
Ambient Occlusion: SSAO
DoF: On
Chromatic Aberration: On
Vignetting: Off
Light Shafts: On

VSync: Off
Maximum FPS: Unlimited
1920x1080
Full Screen
NVIDIA HairWorks: Off
# of Background characters: Medium
Shadow Quality: Low
Terrain Quality: Medium
Water Quality; High
Grass Density: Low
Texture Quality: High
Foliage Visibility Range: Low
Detail Level: High

auYXn5g.jpg

JIIQePz.jpg

lwjcvVk.jpg

Out in the world I typically get between 45-55 FPS
In Novigrad it sinks to ~35 FPS
Combat is a good mix of ~35-50FPS

Doesn't run badly with these settings for a 760, but it could be prettier. I just hate capped 30FPS though.

Is there anything I could raise in my settings to boost fidelity without sacrificing too much FPS?

Kevin

Anyone play this with a GTX 590? Getting poor performance and was wondering if anyone had any useful tips? Is there a problem with SLI between my card and this game? Witcher 2 got over 40 frames maxed out. I get around 10-20 here. Not much better with hairworks, anti aliasing, etc turned off.

Anyone play this with a GTX 590? Getting poor performance and was wondering if anyone had any useful tips? Is there a problem with SLI between my card and this game? Witcher 2 got over 40 frames maxed out. I get around 10-20 here. Not much better with hairworks, anti aliasing, etc turned off.

Put your textures to low.

The game runs well enough on my 770... not enough to get 60fps without dramatically reducing the settings, so I've capped it at 30 and moved most things to Ultra. It stays smooth there and there's no other major issues.

Is the thing about Kepler performance for real though? A 960 besting the 780 seems way off. I wonder if I should be getting much better performance than I am.

Skyzard

Banned
What does this do technically speaking? How many pre-rendered frames does TW3 do by default? Why would reducing it to 1 offer a smoother experience? I'm asking because I see this mentioned a lot.

It tells you in the nvidia control panel when you select the setting, max frames cpu can prepare before being processed by gpu. Means input response improvements by decreasing the number too.

scitek

Is there a ultra high-end config out there yet that like doubles draw distance or anything? Wanna see how far I can push it.

Guys want to play witcher 3 on PC. My current specs : amd phenom ii x4 black edition 3.4 GHz, 8gb DDR3 RAM, nvidia gtx 760. I am looking for 60+ fps high to ultra settings. I play with vsync off. I like getting as high fps a possible. Also I usually go with my monitor native resolution 1920x1080. How much will it cost me yo upgrade my PC?

Gold Member
Performance has been pretty good for me on my 980 so far. Running everything at max, except sharpening on low and chromatic aberration off. Getting 40 odd FPS @ 1440p which is fine on my G-Sync monitor.

I'm getting a really annoying stuttering when panning the camera with the controller though. Seems fine using the mouse but the controller seems to stutter like mad. Hopefully I'll work that out tomorrow :)

Game is great though!

UnrealEck

Is the thing about Kepler performance for real though? A 960 besting the 780 seems way off. I wonder if I should be getting much better performance than I am.

See for yourself. Test your card against a 960.
nVidia have admitted there's issues with Kepler and Witcher 3.

I'm not just looking forward to seeing if they'll actually fix it, I'm looking forward to seeing the actual reason (and nVidia's reason if it's different) the cards don't perform as well as Maxwell.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
What does this do technically speaking? How many pre-rendered frames does TW3 do by default? Why would reducing it to 1 offer a smoother experience? I'm asking because I see this mentioned a lot.

No this is bad advice and doesn't work, stop telling people to set the pre-rendered frames to 1. I have SLI 980s and get the judder/stutter too. See my previous posts on this thread. Doesn't seem to be a solution.

viveks86

I'm still using your ReShade settings as well. It's been amazing, thanks.
Have you tweaked anything on your settings since then?

You are welcome! Haven't touched anything since. I change color grading occasionally for taking a specific shot but still using the original settings for gameplay. The shots above are untouched as well.

Skyzard

Banned
Finally see your screenshots properly :) It's similar to a realism one I tried earlier today which looked great but just took a bit of the fun out of it with the dialed back vibrancy. It looks really good in those shots though.

Although:

I can count the rain drops with my fingers - not that it's your a fault on your end.

--I finally saw a scene with pretty full rain!

viveks86

Finally see your screenshots properly :) It's similar to a realism one I tried earlier today which looked great but just took a bit of the fun out of it with the dialed back vibrancy. It looks really good in those shots though.

Yeah I personally didn't like some of the realistic ones out there as they were either way too desaturated, too bright or too dark. Really drained out the art from the game. So I tried balancing it a bit. Think I'm going to stick with it going forward.

viveks86

I like it, only thing I would change is turn up the saturation JUST a teenie tiny bit. Your grass looks like it's all dying for water, if I understood how SweetFX worked I would play around with it.

SweetFX doesn't have a configurator does it?

edit - Just found this http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/

Yup. You just need to increase the monochrome setting by .05 or .1 to get the look you desire. I kept going back and forth and decided to settle for this one. Depending on where you are and ToD, the grass can look very green. Here are some earlier shots with the same settings

witcher32015-05-2200-26-51.png

witcher32015-05-2119-28-10.png

Yup. You just need to increase the monochrome setting by .05 or .1 to get the look you desire. I kept going back and forth and decided to settle for this one. Depending on where you are and ToD, the grass can look very green. Here are some earlier shots with the same settings

witcher32015-05-2200-26-51.png

witcher32015-05-2119-28-10.png
Do you have to quit out to get the settings to show in game? I'm not seeing the difference in settings as I adjust when I alt-tab.

Those photo's look really nice, I agree that they look more green and must just depend on the area/TOD etc

BlackEyes

yes, I have this issue and it's driving me nuts. I have everything set to ultra settings and I get 70-80 fps but the game feels like it's playing sub 30 thanks to judder/stutter.

Here is a 5 page thread on the CDPR forums about the issue: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/37181-Strange-movement-camera-judder-effect-on-PC

yea, i'm using a controller as well, when i hold A and make geralt move it just seems like the game stutters, but it's 60 fps , idk how to explain it it's damn weird.

SliChillax

Just reverted back to the GTA V drivers after the 20th crash, wasn't even playing just web browsing. My PC just froze twice 5 minutes ago and it completely crashed after causing me to shut it down the hard way because it wasn't responding.

x3sphere

No this is bad advice and doesn't work, stop telling people to set the pre-rendered frames to 1. I have SLI 980s and get the judder/stutter too. See my previous posts on this thread. Doesn't seem to be a solution.

It worked for me (for reducing input lag). The setting doesn't do anything if you have SLI though.

I suspected as much. It just doesn't make sense that it would make anything smoother, only decrease lag. If anything, wouldn't increasing the number make things smoother? I'm not suggesting people do that, but I honestly wonder how many of the suggested quick fixes are legit, or if a lot of it is placebo.

x3sphere

I suspected as much. It just doesn't make sense that it would make anything smoother, only decrease lag. If anything, wouldn't increasing the number make things smoother? I'm not suggesting people do that, but I honestly wonder how many of the suggested quick fixes are legit, or if a lot of it is placebo.

I dunno about smoothness, feels the same in that regard, running at locked 60 though. But it definitely decreased input lag, my controls feel noticeably more sluggish at the default setting.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

This problem is happening to everyone, it's just that some people are not sensitive enough to perceive it. See thread here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Thread-Share-your-info?p=1693339#post1693339

For once I must have really lucked out on Witcher 3 on my PC. I have zero issues. Only frame rate drop I've had was when I fought off 6 wolves at once (hairworks). No stutter, no crashes (only time I had either was when the game defaulted to windowed borderless - obviously something wrong with that dispkay option). I'd like to increase the LoD slightly and NPC's have a tendancy to magically appear before me (usually in placed like Novigrad) but that just requires some tweaking I think. So yeah, a PC game that actually works virtually flawlessly out the box! A rare thing!

finalflame

For once I must have really lucked out on Witcher 3 on my PC. I have zero issues. Only frame rate drop I've had was when I fought off 6 wolves at once (hairworks). No stutter, no crashes (only time I had either was when the game defaulted to windowed borderless - obviously something wrong with that dispkay option). I'd like to increase the LoD slightly and NPC's have a tendancy to magically appear before me (usually in placed like Novigrad) but that just requires some tweaking I think. So yeah, a PC game that actually works virtually flawlessly out the box! A rare thing!

Always nice to hear some people are having a nice experience out of the box. What's your setup like?

viveks86

Do you have to quit out to get the settings to show in game? I'm not seeing the difference in settings as I adjust when I alt-tab.

Those photo's look really nice, I agree that they look more green and must just depend on the area/TOD etc

It should change as you alt-tab. Every time you alt-tab, you will momentarily notice some reshade messages on the top left that indicates that it picked up your changes. If you aren't seeing that, then perhaps reshade isn't running at all.

dreamfall

I put it at Ultra at 1440p, capped it at 30fps, Hairworks on. Titan X, i7 3770k, 8GB RAM.

What's with the Sharpening option? I'm can't decide if keeping it turned all the way up is to my liking. Also, turned off Bloom and Blur.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
I put it at Ultra at 1440p, capped it at 30fps, Hairworks on. Titan X, i7 3770k, 8GB RAM.

What's with the Sharpening option? I'm can't decide of keeping it turned all the way up is to my liking. Also, turned off Bloom and Blur.

I've heard some people claim it looks better the higher resolution you play at but I'm not sure about that.

At 1080p the High setting is much too sharp for my tastes. Positive note textures are sharpened and generally look, but aren't, higher resolution. At low, the difference over Off is very small, but that's where I keep it.

The game runs well enough on my 770... not enough to get 60fps without dramatically reducing the settings, so I've capped it at 30 and moved most things to Ultra. It stays smooth there and there's no other major issues.

Yes. Nvidia has addressed the issue and a new driver is going to be released for Kepler cards.

This problem is happening to everyone, it's just that some people are not sensitive enough to perceive it. See thread here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Thread-Share-your-info?p=1693339#post1693339

Everyone? Not sure about that. I'm not saying it isn't happening to people. But there are variables people can do to mitigate it, or even eliminate it altogether. If people can't maintain a locked framerate, that's just going to happen, unless they have g-sync or something like that.

Yes, however I had changed it back. Inexplicably my settings seem to have sticked now, but it'll probably break again. Also, all settings stuck except full screen/border less windowed.

Just an FYI. I had changed the settings in Nvidia Control Panel for scaling so that it would not scale. I just changed it back to "Aspect Ratio" and now I'm having no issue going to Fullscreen. It runs much better too.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Everyone? Not sure about that. I'm not saying it isn't happening to people. But there are variables people can do to mitigate it, or even eliminate it altogether. If people can't maintain a locked framerate, that's just going to happen, unless they have g-sync or something like that.

Many of us have GSync and the issue is happening. I suggest you read the main thread on CDPR's forum.

JackHerer

Many of us have GSync and the issue is happening. I suggest you read the main thread on CDPR's forum.

I can confirm that even with gsync and high frame rates the problem is noticeable. I thought maybe it was an SLI issue but I guess not. That thread is very consistent with my experience. The stutter almost completely goes away if the game is controlling the camera (e.g. horse-riding).

I found the .ini tweaks to make stuttering worse so I got rid of most of them. I am playing with all ultra + hair works etc. (I have dual Titan X)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I can confirm that even with gsync and high frame rates the problem is noticeable. I thought maybe it was an SLI issue but I guess not. That thread is very consistent with my experience. The stutter almost completely goes away if the game is controlling the camera (e.g. horse-riding).

I found the .ini tweaks to make stuttering worse so I got rid of most of them. I am playing with all ultra + hair works etc. (I have dual Titan X)

One guy said that he messaged CDPR and they said they are looking into the issue. I am shelving the game until this issue is fixed. It's a real strain to my eyes.

I tried Reshade/SweetFX 2.0, loaded my save file and the game crashed as soon as I started playing/loaded into the world. GEMFX doesn't work at all too.

I don't know about making nights darker. The most visually effective way is to use HDR and lift-gamma-gain, but the former is a huge FPS hog.

finalflame

Just an FYI. I had changed the settings in Nvidia Control Panel for scaling so that it would not scale. I just changed it back to "Aspect Ratio" and now I'm having no issue going to Fullscreen. It runs much better too.

Hmmm..you might be on to something. I messed with my custom resolutions in NVCPL at some point, and it's possible doing that set it back to "Aspect Ratio". Has been solid since. Thanks for bringing that up!

Skyzard

Banned

It says in the control panel pre-rendered frames setting doesn't affect SLI, right at the bottom:

ofY2jow.png

If you keep the right stick locked, there is no stutter. If you move it ever so slightly, the panning changes speed and it seems to start and stop very quickly. It's very sensitive even at the low inputs. If you aren't on SLI, give pre-rendered frames a try. I can pan at a (fixed) low speed with no judder at all.

CHC

I tried Reshade/SweetFX 2.0, loaded my save file and the game crashed as soon as I started playing/loaded into the world. GEMFX doesn't work at all too.

What other software is running in the background? Most post processing injectors are disastrous when mixed with other overlays (Fraps, Rivatuner, sometimes Steam overlay, etc)

Always nice to hear some people are having a nice experience out of the box. What's your setup like?
i73770k@4.5ghz
GTX 980 Windforce OC 7000MHz GDDR5, GPU 1178MHz, Boost 1279MHz
8GB RAM@2400mhz
Like I said only Hairworks hits my frame rate and I have 0 judder/stutter (using a 360 controller too). Shadows and Foilage at High as well. But I turned Hairworks off, put everything to Ultra and went to 1440p(DSR) and still maintaind 60fps 95% of the time with 0 stutter. It just works really well.
I've had some nightmare games in the past that either had bad performance issues or crashes. But Witcher 3 has been fantastic.

Is anyone else getting never-ending loading screens? I tried to go back from Velen to White Orchard, and after more than 5 minutes of the loading screen I had to pull the plug on my PC. Alt+tabbing wouldn't work, nor could I get task manager to load.

This is patch 1.03 with the latest nvidia drivers. GTX 980.

Is anyone else getting never-ending loading screens? I tried to go back from Velen to White Orchard, and after more than 5 minutes of the loading screen I had to pull the plug on my PC. Alt+tabbing wouldn't work, nor could I get task manager to load.

This is patch 1.03 with the latest nvidia drivers. GTX 980.
Yes. It may be that any save pre patch 1.03 will not load, which is a bummer. I didn't have to restart my PC luckily but I had to Alt-Tab-Delete out to get to Task Manager to close it down.

Top Bottom