• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Which gives better AA...Sweetfx FXAA or SMAA?

I have a 280X so no Nv FXAA, unless there's a special injector i dont know about.

If you're downsampling from a super high resolution (4K or higher) then I think FXAA can actually give you smoother results than SMAA. At lower resolutions I would recommend SMAA, I think it does a fantastic job in this game.

Godan

Looking at everyone's GPU clock speeds, I am just now realizing my 980 is "super clocked," or factory OCed.

Base clock is advertised as 1266mhz with a boost clock to 1367mhz, but I swear last time I opened Precision X it said my boost clock was over 1400mhz. I haven't changed the clock speeds at all in any program, they're just set to factory standards. I have a few questions:

1. Can I down clock to a non-overclocked speed, and should I? I'm generally seeing much better performance than people with similar setups on here, and I'm just now realizing it's probably the factory over clocking. I am still having an occasional issue with infinite loading screens.

2. Is it just me or is that an unusually fast clock speed for GPU? Even those of you with Titan X's have lower clock speeds. Is it because those GPU's have more cuda cores? Forgive my general ignorance.

Yeah i think i have the same card as you says the boost should be 1367mhz but in precison X is shows as 1404mhz.

Not sure if its because of this my witcher 3 crashes in the menus now and then.

CHC

Man, reading people's GTX 970 and r290 performance, I am really looking forward to the Kepler update. The 780 used to be similar, if slightly below, those cards but the latest drivers just tanked it hard. Really hope it can be restored, 1440p on high would be a dream come true at this point.

This game is darker at dusk than it is in the middle of the night.

That's actually kinda realistic, I usually have a hard time seeing right after the sun sets and the sky is still illuminated but the ground is not. Once it's dark-dark and the moon is shining your eyes get used to it.

Pooya

I'm really not happy with how water looks like, it's so bad actually :\ I guess I'm spoiled by GTA5 and Watch_Dogs water, here it's so bad next to everything else being so pretty. Ultra water? meeeh. Underwater looks plain ugly.

That's actually kinda realistic, I usually have a hard time seeing right after the sun sets and the sky is still illuminated but the ground is not. Once it's dark-dark and the moon is shining your eyes get used to it.

I guess you're right, but it's pretty jarring after playing arma 3 where you can't see shit at night. I sometimes have to check in game time just to confirm it's night time.

I'm really not happy with how water looks like, it's so bad actually : I guess I'm spoiled by GTA5 and Watch_Dogs water, here it's so bad next to everything else being so pretty. Ultra water? meeeh. Underwater looks plain ugly.

Yeah the water isn't great. The little ripples behind the boat are pretty though.

It's even more realistic if you notice how big is their Moon.

23qwerty

I'm really not happy with how water looks like, it's so bad actually :\ I guess I'm spoiled by GTA5 and Watch_Dogs water, here it's so bad next to everything else being so pretty. Ultra water? meeeh. Underwater looks plain ugly.

yeah, to be fair watch_dogs and gta 5 have absolutely incredible water though

Zushin

Very happy with my performance. 1080 @ locked 60 fps with all settings on ultra bar foliage range (which is at high) and Hairworks off. 970 + i5 4670. Using ReShade game looks amazing.

Yeah i think i have the same card as you says the boost should be 1367mhz but in precison X is shows as 1404mhz.

Not sure if its because of this my witcher 3 crashes in the menus now and then.

What nvidia driver are you using, the older GTA5 drivers or the new Witcher 3 Game Ready drivers?

You've obviously installed the latest patch for the game, yes?

Are you running Shadowplay? Turning that off, and quitting GFE entirely seems to have helped dramatically.

Thankfully I've gotten it to a point where I do not get the inventory freezes or cutscene freezes, but I do get the occasional infinite loading screen. I need to test some more but I think that only happens when I'm changing areas.

Blitzhex

For what it's worth I only get inventory crash/loading freeze and other freezes and crashes when I use the ingame frame limit option or ingame vsync. With them off I haven't crashed for 60 hours now. On a 4.7ghz 4690k and 1440mhz/7800mhz 970gtx.

mm04

So am I the only one who likes HairWorks? I don't care about Geralt's hair. It's the beasts where I can really tell the difference. And since I still stay near 60fps with it on, I keep it on. Now, if it were much lower, I'd probably just turn it off to be fair. Even though my experience has been mostly good, I do run into some issues. Borderless Windowed mode kills my framerate. One time it got stuck on that setting, even though I had set it to fullscreen a few sessions prior, but when I attempted to switch the setting using my mouse (I play the game with my Xbox controller) it actually took after 3 failed attempts or so navigating the menu with my controller. Knock on wood, I haven't had any crashes yet and that's with 2 OC'd 970 Strix GPUs (above the factory overclock). I'm sure when I fire it up this morning, it'll be crash city now.

Evo X

One of the best thing about Hairworks is Geralt's majestic beard, beautifully rendered individual fibers blowing in the wind. I tried turning it off and it looked so ugly, I couldn't stand it.

I am so dumb, I am so dumb. SLI somehow turned itself off so I went from 35-45 FPS to 55-60 FPS constant with everything on max except the vegetation draw.

Sanjay

Just tried it out, I avg 45fps and 30fps during cut-scenes with everything on and maxed, running at 1440p with a GTX 980/ i5 3570K @ 4.6ghz. Happy witch the performance I'm getting.

Qassim

I am so dumb, I am so dumb. SLI somehow turned itself off so I went from 35-45 FPS to 55-60 FPS constant with everything on max except the vegetation draw.

I presume it's from when you updated your drivers to the latest. Every time you update your drivers it disables SLI, I've made this mistake a few times and forgot to re-enable SLI.

mm04

I presume it's from when you updated your drivers to the latest. Every time you update your drivers it disables SLI, I've made this mistake a few times and forgot to re-enable SLI.

Yep, me too. First time I played this game it was just after the driver change and it was pretty disappointing how it was performing on Ultra settings for me. Then I noticed on the Nvidia Control Panel SLI was disabled. Brand new world after that.

SliChillax

Hah, reminds me when I had 560Ti's in Sli and Battlefield 3 came out. Updated the drivers and played with Sli off for almost 2 months without realising.

Man, reading people's GTX 970 and r290 performance, I am really looking forward to the Kepler update. The 780 used to be similar, if slightly below, those cards but the latest drivers just tanked it hard. Really hope it can be restored, 1440p on high would be a dream come true at this point.

Did the new drivers screw up performance for the card itself, or did they just optimize the drivers for 900 series cards while neglecting the 700 series?

CHC

Did the new drivers screw up performance for the card itself, or did they just optimize the drivers for 900 series cards while neglecting the 700 series?

I think it's more the second one, they're just not optimized. I went back to 347.88 but didn't notice any major gains. Nvidia has at least acknowledged that an update is coming to boost Kepler performance since they found "a couple issues" affecting the series. 780 should be running simarly to a 970 and right now it's at least a good 10-20 FPS behind.

PC Gamers can I ask you a honest question,

Do you guys like buying games and then spending forever tweaking and monitoring FPS etc

Or for most likely the majority realising you need to upgrade etc?

I ask this because my friend is one of these mad PC gamers who monitors temperatures etc and panics if it's running slightly high.

His latest panic was his processor speed slightly dropped on one of the scan utilities and he spent weeks trying to get that variation back

Are you all like that?

M.D

Do you guys like buying games and then spending forever tweaking and monitoring FPS etc

I ask this because my friend is one of these mad PC gamers who monitors temperatures etc and panics if it's running slightly high.

His latest panic was his processor speed slightly dropped on one of the scan utilities and he spent weeks trying to get that variation back

Are you all like that?

nah your friend is crazy

Are you all like that?

No. Your friend has issues.

Skelter

Banned

Are you all like that?

I don't even bother INI tweaking because I'm lazy as hell. As long as my PC isn't crashing, having problems, or my games are running at 60FPS I don't really care.

Though I am kind of interested in tweaking The Witcher 3.

Corpsepyre

Banned

Are you all like that?

Yes, that is true for many PC gamers I know. A friend of mine monitors his temps on a second monitor while gaming. Another friend has HWmonitor open while gaming, and he's monitoring it as well.

I myself, atleast in the more demanding games, have FRAPS open while gaming. It's all psychological. If I had the option of monitoring it in console games, I'd do that as well.

I don't freak out though.

kinggroin

Banned

Are you all like that?

First, I think you're full of shit.

Second, yes, we are.

I think the game can be very dark at times. When I play on full screen borderless the gamma is obviously off, while on the desktop it is perfect according to the Lagom test. Black levels always suck when there's any daylight, that's crappy but is there for everyone (especially on an MVA monitor).

But I'm rambling; I'm looking for something in a swamp but I can't see anything because of how dark it is. Monitor brightness and contrast are on 100 percent and so is the ingame gamma now. Still can barely see stuff. Quite annoying since the lagom test shows the gamma is fine and gta is fine as well :p
Is this just the trade off for having real blacks?

Seanspeed

Banned

Are you all like that?
I think the closest I've ever come to anxiety over performance monitoring was with GTA V, and largely because it came with 10,000,000 different settings and performed quite differently based on location and conditions.

Otherwise, I'm actually quite relaxed about it and after finding some settings I'm happy with, I leave them alone and rarely ever turn on any FPS counter or monitoring software again. If I do find myself tweaking anything again, it's usually for fun, to test out high resolutions or whatever, not serious work or anything.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think the game can be very dark at times. When I play on full screen borderless the gamma is obviously off, while on the desktop it is perfect according to the Lagom test. Black levels always suck when there's any daylight, that's crappy but is there for everyone (especially on an MVA monitor).

But I'm rambling; I'm looking for something in a swamp but I can't see anything because of how dark it is. Monitor brightness and contrast are on 100 percent and so is the ingame gamma now. Still can barely see stuff. Quite annoying since the lagom test shows the gamma is fine and gta is fine as well :p
Is this just the trade off for having real blacks?

Game IS dark. At times, even at 8 AM, the game is super dark for that time of day.

Indoors, it's very dark as well in places. Caves are a whole different thing. Need a torch at all times in darker areas.

CHC

I only get crazy and neurotic with tweaking and FPS monitoring when I can't get the game to run perfectly at max settings. In most games I just set it and forget it but in the case of the Witcher 3 it's been a situation of trying to figure out the best visual / performance compromise as well as troubleshoot issues like stuttering and lower-than-expected FPS.

So yes secretly I kind of enjoy the problem-solving exercise of getting a game all set up, but only if it's not running how I like it to in the first place.

Also your friend is crazy, I've never monitored my CPU performance because guess what I don't give a fuck - it's either working or it isn't.

Game IS dark. At times, even at 8 AM, the game is super dark for that time of day.

Indoors, it's very dark as well in places. Caves are a whole different thing. Need a torch at all times in darker areas.

So I'm not going mad. That's good. Torches are awesome, but give limited sight. Cat is awesome but meh black and white. I guess we should give the devs some applause for actually using all the black levels they can use.

So am I the only one who likes HairWorks? I don't care about Geralt's hair. It's the beasts where I can really tell the difference. And since I still stay near 60fps with it on, I keep it on. Now, if it were much lower, I'd probably just turn it off to be fair. Even though my experience has been mostly good, I do run into some issues. Borderless Windowed mode kills my framerate. One time it got stuck on that setting, even though I had set it to fullscreen a few sessions prior, but when I attempted to switch the setting using my mouse (I play the game with my Xbox controller) it actually took after 3 failed attempts or so navigating the menu with my controller. Knock on wood, I haven't had any crashes yet and that's with 2 OC'd 970 Strix GPUs (above the factory overclock). I'm sure when I fire it up this morning, it'll be crash city now.

One of the best thing about Hairworks is Geralt's majestic beard, beautifully rendered individual fibers blowing in the wind. I tried turning it off and it looked so ugly, I couldn't stand it.

I am hoping that either CD Projekt or modders can split the Hairworks setting up into its individual parts. I would love to have it just for Geralt's beard and creatures but not his hair.

CHC

So PC version with a 2500k and a 750ti would be a better experience than on the Bone?

Honestly man it's kind of a toss up. You're not gonna get great settings on that setup (mostly medium to low) so while it may look marginally better than Xbox you might be better served just getting the console version since you can just... play it and not worry about tweaking performance and stuff like that.

Here's a comparison:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=yp7VrLjNpRA

johntown

Banned

Weird I don't find it that dark at all. I use a plasma screen too which almost makes every game too dark.

There is even enough ambient light in caves for me to see without a torch. For reference The Witcher1 I had to use a torch.

Using default settings too. No sweet fx or reshade.

Anyone have suggestions on some stuff that can easily be turned down and not reduce the visual quality that bad?

I'm on an i5 and GTX780, and with mostly ultra settings I'm really flying around between like 40 and 60 fps. I'd like to try and get consistent 60 without turning the important stuff down.

Right now everything is maxed to the right except hairworks is off, character density is high, and foliage visibility range is high.

johntown

Banned
Anyone have suggestions on some stuff that can easily be turned down and not reduce the visual quality that bad?

I'm on an i5 and GTX780, and with mostly ultra settings I'm really flying around between like 40 and 60 fps. I'd like to try and get consistent 60 without turning the important stuff down.

Right now everything is maxed to the right except hairworks is off, character density is high, and foliage visibility range is high.
Put shadows on high the difference is negligible.

CHC

What?

Yeah, less options is "better".

Well it's the PC performance thread so I expect most people will disagree but in some cases I think it's better to play the game pre-configured and just sink into it rather than have to constantly fiddle with settings and lower everything to get it to run how I want. Just my opinion, I like tweaking as much as the next guy, but I think in some cases a closed system that is "ready to go" has advantages.

Well it's the PC performance thread so I expect most people will disagree but in some cases I think it's better to play the game pre-configured and just sink into it rather than have to constantly fiddle with settings and lower everything to get it to run how I want. Just my opinion, I like tweaking as much as the next guy, but I think in some cases a closed system that is "ready to go" has advantages.

Presumably you can just use geforce experience to get near optimal settings, or copy settings from the digital foundry article. That, plus adaptive vsync should at least give you a decent starting point. If you're going to be spending upwards of 40h in a game, then a little bit of tweaking beforehand isn't so bad

I think it's more the second one, they're just not optimized. I went back to 347.88 but didn't notice any major gains. Nvidia has at least acknowledged that an update is coming to boost Kepler performance since they found "a couple issues" affecting the series. 780 should be running simarly to a 970 and right now it's at least a good 10-20 FPS behind.

Makes sense. Performance is shit on my 770. Even with no post-process effects and absolutely everything at low, with resolution an 1080p, the framerate still drops below 60 constantly. And GPU usage is perpetually stuck at 90-99%, so it's sure as hell not a CPU issue.

Skyzard

Banned
Nice, thanks for that, bet your a lovely person in real life!

Full quote seems more like a joke :p

I spend the first few hours playing a large open world game keeping an eye on things and making sure I've optimised the settings for my system including finding the hotspots to limit framerate for a smooth playthrough for the next 30hours +.

Thankfully in this game you don't need to restart, it's very quick changing settings.

It's either that or going through slowdowns and optimising it later on instead, because I'm not okay with having it happen often. Very brief slowdown in a demanding situation is one thing, but walk over there and massive slowdown or stuttering ensues (and lasts for more than a brief moment) is something I tweak to prevent and there are a few hotspots like that in TW3. Sometimes fights take place there too.

---=-=-=-=-=-
I would (and have) set shadows to medium for the performance savings in some areas. Ultra foliage destroys rigs.

Top Bottom