• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Oh tell me more?

I have a GT 755M on my laptop, which is kepler based so I'd like to know what the fix is and what it's supposed to do.

It seems to get the GPU to stop trying to do the physx work and let's the CPU do it. Or something like that. I got about 5 fps boost in towns doing it on my 765m

If you want some tips to increase performance try the following in the INI.

[Rendering]
GrassDensity=700 (lower it further if you want)
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=0

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassDistanceScale=1 (can lower to things like 0.5 but pop in gets worse)
FoliageDistanceScale=1 (as above)
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=1 (you will get foliage shadow distance pop in but its a good boost. Try between 4-10 to remove obvious Pop in.

Try that at 720p and see how you get on.

I'm on a better card and can get it at solid 30 with right tweaks. Its still underperforming though so I hope Kepler drivers help.

It won't take a total dive, but you'll probably need to turn things down. I moved Shadows, Foliage Dist, and Grass from Ultra to High. Otherwise I was getting as low as the upper 30s in some bog areas. Even now, I still occasionally dip into the upper 40s, but it's still quite smooth most of the time. (On a 290x as well.)

What kind of settings are you using alongside Hairworks? Medium?

Also, dissapoining to hear the new drivers aren't bringing too much of a performance boost.

Have been running a 290 with everything on ultra plus hairworks (ccc set 8/16 i keep changing it) and the ini tweak to take aa down to 2.

Never dips below 30 im pretty sure it stays in the 40-50s range at 1080p but i dont keep fraps on all time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It seems to get the GPU to stop trying to do the physx work and let's the CPU do it. Or something like that. I got about 5 fps boost in towns doing it on my 765m

If you want some tips to increase performance try the following in the INI.

[Rendering]
GrassDensity=700 (lower it further if you want)
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=0

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassDistanceScale=1 (can lower to things like 0.5 but pop in gets worse)
FoliageDistanceScale=1 (as above)
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=1 (you will get foliage shadow distance pop in but its a good boost. Try between 4-10 to remove obvious Pop in.

Try that at 720p and see how you get on.

I'm on a better card and can get it at solid 30 with right tweaks. Its still underperforming though so I hope Kepler drivers help.

Awesome thanks, I'll give this a shot. I'm running on native with mostly low some mid settings, but I've got vsync on otherwise the screen tearing is truly shit.

I get about 17-25 fps with 30 in some really open calm areas. I run the game at native 1366x768 though because I don't like the black board framing that the game seems to do at lower resolutions.

I'll definitely try your settings out in the .ini though. I haven't messed with it much.

Awesome thanks, I'll give this a shot. I'm running on native with mostly low some mid settings, but I've got vsync on otherwise the screen tearing is truly shit.

I get about 17-25 fps with 30 in some really open calm areas. I run the game at native 1366x768 though because I don't like the black board framing that the game seems to do at lower resolutions.

I'll definitely try your settings out in the .ini though. I haven't messed with it much.

If you can deal with pop up then drop those settings as low as you can bare. Try setting the last 3 i mentioned to 0.5.

If you are getting those frame rates In white orchard they are going to get lower the next area lol. But if you can tweak it right you might get it to something you find acceptable.

Game runs fantastic for me but I've had 3 freezes where the video freezes but the sound continues in 37hrs. I know its not a big deal but its completely random and i dunno what causes it :(

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
If you can deal with pop up then drop those settings as low as you can bare. Try setting the last 3 i mentioned to 0.5.

If you are getting those frame rates In white orchard they are going to get lower the next area lol. But if you can tweak it right you might get it to something you find acceptable.

Lol I actually love Skellige and Noivgrad's fields because I get close to 30 solid in most of the areas there.

The worst place for me is Inn at the Crossroads. I have no idea what effects or things are going on there but that place DESTROYS my frame rate. It's like running at 8 or something.

It runs twice that within novigrad city.

Genio88

What are PC TV gamers aiming for?
60 fps w/o hairworks or 30fps possibly with

I'm playing it with i7 4770k/GTX 980 on a 32" Full HD/60hz LG TV(LG 32LB650V).
I started it with everything on ultra and HairWorks on with 30fps cap, and it was good, but sooner i tried to cap the framerate to 60 and i get about 40/60fps and with Vsync on i've no problems of stuttering or else, so i've been playing the game like that all the time and it runs pretty good and smooth, better than capped on 30fps for sure, i'm about 40 hours in and almost at the end of the main story.

ecosse_011172

I'm playing it with i7 4770k/GTX 980 on a 32" Full HD/60hz LG TV(LG 32LB650V).
I started it with everything on ultra and HairWorks on with 30fps cap, and it was good, but sooner i tried to cap the framerate to 60 and i get about 40/60fps and with Vsync on i've no problems of stuttering or else, so i've been playing the game like that all the time and it runs pretty good and smooth, better than capped on 30fps for sure, i'm about 40 hours in and almost at the end of the main story.

So the drops from 60 to 40 aren't hugely noticable despite the fixed refresh rate?

Landford

Banned
Anybody tried running the game on a Radeon HD 7870? Can I get at least console quality out of it with an i7 4790 and 8GB?

Thinking about buying the PC version but I don't want to have to upgrade my video card right now.

Im playing on a FX 8320e and HD7850 slightly overclocked, and getting almost locked 30fps on Ultra (with shadows on high and foliage distance on medium). Hairworks off, 1080p.

I want to thank the folks who advised me to get this game for the PC over the PS4 version. I was worried that my 670/i7 860 combo might not be enough for a superior experience, but so far I have been pretty pleased.

I'm locking the framerate at 30 and maintaining it easily with many of the postprocessing options cranked up and a general mix of medium and high settings at 1080p.

I should knock on wood, but the game hasn't crashed once for me.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I want to thank the folks who advised me to get this game for the PC over the PS4 version. I was worried that my 670/i7 860 combo might not be enough for a superior experience, but so far I have been pretty pleased.

I'm locking the framerate at 30 and maintaining it easily with many of the postprocessing options cranked up and a general mix of medium and high settings at 1080p.

I should knock on wood, but the game hasn't crashed once for me.

They definitely gave you the right advice. I managed to convince Best Buy to swap out the PS4 version for the PC version and I'm glad I did.

The PS4 version--at least at the time of launch--was an absolute mess that was really turning me off to the game. Glitches and bugs galore, along with a terrible frame rate past White Orchid.

Have been running a 290 with everything on ultra plus hairworks (ccc set 8/16 i keep changing it) and the ini tweak to take aa down to 2.

Never dips below 30 im pretty sure it stays in the 40-50s range at 1080p but i dont keep fraps on all time.

That sounds downright crazy. Are you out of White Orchard? I've seen a dip or two into 30 with everything at Ultra without Hairworks (40-50 most of the rest of the time). With Hairworks? Forget about it. (Unless those Hairworks tweaks make it a negligible addition.)

Lol I actually love Skellige and Noivgrad's fields because I get close to 30 solid in most of the areas there.

The worst place for me is Inn at the Crossroads. I have no idea what effects or things are going on there but that place DESTROYS my frame rate. It's like running at 8 or something.

It runs twice that within novigrad city.

Yes that place is oddly terrible but the delete the certain file fix should help there I think.

FLAguy954

It won't take a total dive, but you'll probably need to turn things down. I moved Shadows, Foliage Dist, and Grass from Ultra to High. Otherwise I was getting as low as the upper 30s in some bog areas. Even now, I still occasionally dip into the upper 40s, but it's still quite smooth most of the time. (On a 290x as well.)

What kind of settings are you using alongside Hairworks? Medium?

Also, dissapoining to hear the new drivers aren't bringing too much of a performance boost.

Here are my settings.

Now I'm playing with Hairworks disabled. I just came across a huge pack or wolves and wargs (like 12+) and my fps tanked to 30 fps. As soon as I disabled Hairworks, my fps shot back up to 55+ fps.

Now I'm getting 55-70 fps with my current settings and the new 15.5 Beta drivers (but with uglier hair).

That sounds downright crazy. Are you out of White Orchard? I've seen a dip or two into 30 with everything at Ultra without Hairworks (40-50 most of the rest of the time). With Hairworks? Forget about it. (Unless those Hairworks tweaks make it a negligible addition.)

Those Hairworks tweaks work great for the most part as I gained a whole 10 fps by using x16 tessellation and reducing the MSAA level to x2.

With a ton of enemies with fur on screen (see earlier in my post) the hit becomes massive :( (it would be even worse with full Hairworks).

I might just enable/disable hairworks depending on the situation *shrugs*.

yeah i am in the middle of velen.

i dont have aa or foilage set all the way up but everything else is. i also have an i7 4790k

bad frames in games have never really bothered me in the past but it runs pretty well. Ill post frap benches later.

Here are my settings.

Now I'm playing with Hairworks disabled. I just came across a huge pack or wolves and wargs (like 12+) and my fps tanked to 30 fps. As soon as I disabled Hairworks, my fps shot back up to 55+ fps.

Now I'm getting 55-70 fps with my current settings and the new 15.5 Beta drivers (but with uglier hair).

Those Hairworks tweaks work great for the most part as I gained a whole 10 fps by using x16 tessellation and reducing the MSAA level to x2.

With a ton of enemies with fur on screen (see earlier in my post) the hit becomes massive :( (it would be even worse with full Hairworks).

I might just enable/disable hairworks depending on the situation *shrugs*.

Thanks for that! That all sounds about in line with my experience then, though I haven't installed the new drivers yet, which I assume would more or less lock me at 60+ with my current settings. Are you doing ini tweaks, or using an external program for some of these settings?

Interesting about those Hairworks tweaks. I'll experiment with them. It's a devil's bargain though. I don't mind 60 or 30 so much, but the big fluctuations when "hair" shows up on screen would definetly bother me.

yeah i am in the middle of velen.

i dont have aa or foilage set all the way up but everything else is. i also have an i7 4790k

bad frames in games have never really bothered me in the past but it runs pretty well. Ill post frap benches later.

Cool, thanks. I'd be curious to see them. That makes a bit more sense to me then as foliage definitely seemed to be a big hit against my fps at ultra. I haven't experimented with aa, so maybe that makes a substantial difference too.

void666

Banned
I gave up on using hairworks. Yes, the effect is pretty cool. Specially on wolves. But everytime the camera zooms on geralt's head i lose 20 fps. And last time i had this huge fight agains bears and wolves and my fps droped to the 30s. Just no.

I can't stand fps variation. I capped the fps (30) turned on hairworks, downsampled. Looks good but i lost the smoothness. Is it worth? Not for me.
Hairworks off and back to unlimited fps. 60 is the minimum. So good.

FLAguy954

Thanks for that! That all sounds about in line with my experience then, though I haven't installed the new drivers yet, which I assume would more or less lock me at 60+ with my current settings. Are you doing ini tweaks, or using an external program for some of these settings?

Interesting about those Hairworks tweaks. I'll experiment with them. It's a devil's bargain though. I don't mind 60 or 30 so much, but the big fluctuations when "hair" shows up on screen would definetly bother me.

If you wanted to run Hairworks then I would recommend a 30 fps lock as I have never seen it drop below that. I'm also using RadeonPro to track my fps and to force custom SMAA into the game.

I did mess with that texturememorybudget ini option (I set it to 2000) but idk if it has made any difference.

JohngPR

Installed the 15.5 Beta drivers on my 7970.

I do indeed get a few extra frames, nothing crazy but appreciated. More importantly, when the game first came out (version 1.02-1.03) the framerate felt smoother than most games that I played that dipped below 60 for some reason. I feel like this was lost when the game updated to 1.04 and feels now like I got it back with these drivers. It's not really something I can quantify, it just feels smooth like it used to when the game was sub-60fps.

FLAguy954

Installed the 15.5 Beta drivers on my 7970.

I do indeed get a few extra frames, nothing crazy but appreciated. More importantly, when the game first came out (version 1.02-1.03) the framerate felt smoother than most games that I played that dipped below 60 for some reason. I feel like this was lost when the game updated to 1.04 and feels now like I got it back with these drivers. It's not really something I can quantify, it just feels smooth like it used to when the game was sub-60fps.

I've had a similar experience. The frame times are much improved. I might post some frame time benches after I do a reinstall of the game (something went wrong with my files :/).

As long as we've got some amd using folks around here... Anyone try downsampling on a 290/290x? I'm assuming that's a necessary 30fps lock, but I'm curious to know how performance is there.

Good news and bad news.

They have a fix for the XP bug.
Unfortunately, the patch will not be available until Monday and it will not retroactively grant XP for quest that were impacted by the bug.

Damn, I was going to really dig into it this weekend. That's probably a bad idea with this nasty bug still present.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/42937-Addressing-the-no-XP-Glitch

Luckily I haven't run into this yet but it definitely stopped me from playing a bunch after work this evening. Maybe I'll just keep clearing out question marks tomorrow and see how things go. That is one heck of a bug to have in your RPG though.

This sounds a little odd:
First of all, it doesn't impact the game balance in any significant way. Also, you will be able to finish the game with your character achieving a level within the threshold we had in mind when we designed the game.

How could you achieve a level within the threshold if you aren't gaining XP at all? Or perhaps he means that after the fix is out you're likely to still fall into that level range?

This sounds a little odd:

How could you achieve a level within the threshold if you aren't gaining XP at all? Or perhaps he means that after the fix is out you're likely to still fall into that level range?

The big only blocks xp on quests that you are 6 levels higher than the recommended level.

my pc: i5-4590, 8GB, R9 290 4GB (15.5 driver with ~11% OC)

getting 28-37fps with everything maxed. i've not left white orchard yet and was fighting some creatures in the swamps which seems to be a really intensive area. turning off hairworks and lowering to SSAO got me 50-60fps.

Anyone using the 15.5 drivers tested the water detail setting? With a 7850, it actually takes a 5+ fps hit around water with this card on ultra vs high, but not with 14.12.

Anyone using the 15.5 drivers tested the water detail setting? With a 7850, it actually takes a 5+ fps hit around water with this card on ultra vs high, but not with 14.12.

I have old drivers on 7850. Was at 30fps on high water. Tried ultra and it hurt my fps noticably,even with no water on screen, unless rain counts.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Nice :)
I thought I had s steady 60fps with my OCed 970 but it dips to low 50s after not too long :-(

OC'd my 980 to:
1400 boost clock
7700 memory clock
power 125
max temp ~ 80
target FPS 60

Reduced Hairworks AA to 2
Hairworks for Geralt only -> love that beard
Foliage to ultra
Shadows to Normal
Everyting on else ultra

1080/60

The only ever so noticable framedrops (to ~50 FPS) are during cutscenes when the camera is litterally hugging Geralt's head from the side or behind.

Love it.

FLAguy954

my pc: i5-4590, 8GB, R9 290 4GB (15.5 driver with ~11% OC)

getting 28-37fps with everything maxed. i've not left white orchard yet and was fighting some creatures in the swamps which seems to be a really intensive area. turning off hairworks and lowering to SSAO got me 50-60fps.

Consider keeping HBAO+ but reducing shadows, grass, and foliage to high.

I have old drivers on 7850. Was at 30fps on high water. Tried ultra and it hurt my fps noticably,even with no water on screen, unless rain counts.

Some of this stuff is so strange. I also read people saying the in game AA solution is costly, but changing it makes zero difference on my system.

You won't get 60fps at /all/ times with everything max on that system.

I have the same CPU/GPU and I have to turn foliage and grass to high to get /almost/ solid 60 with dips to 50 in certain towns or 55-60 in other foliage rich areas.

you are right, i forgot to mention i turned foliage/distance down one notch from ultra. i can't notice a difference really but those extra fps really help

pahamrick

980 worth it for this game or should I buy a 970 (1080p only)

I'm quite happy with a 970 at 1080p, for what that's worth. I have Witcher 3 at Ultra /w hairworks locked at a solid 30fps. If I turned off Hairworks and tweaked some settings I could easily hit 60, but I like hairworks too much.

Razzorn34

I5 3770k @ 4.4
MSI 970 GTX OCed
16GB 1866

Ultra everything except foliage distance. I love the hairworks, but my frames drop into the 40s. So I said screw it and just locked it to 40. It seems to be doing well for me. I tried locking to 30, but I can't stand it.

How can I make the grass LoD better when I'm galloping on Roach? There's a very obvious line that appears ahead of me where the grass changes. Something in the render.ini file I can alter?

AU Tiger

I tried setting PhysX to CPU and only got like maybe 1 or 2 fps difference with hairworks on and everything maxed out.

going to try deleting that dll file and see if that makes any difference.

If you delete that file, does everything still work if you have hairworks on and HBAO+ enabled?

How can I make the grass LoD better when I'm galloping on Roach? There's a very obvious line that appears ahead of me where the grass changes. Something in the render.ini file I can alter?

Force 16x AF in the nvidia control panel?

Had my first crash last night after playing on 15.5, just one and I was able to play for another 2 hours after with none, could have just been a fluke. But I don't really notice a framerate difference between 15.4 and 15.5 on my 7850 though.

AEREC

My game started crashing....

Get a crash once an hour now

any solution?

What kind of crash? black screen then CTD or one where you get a black screen and have to do a hard reboot?

Ive been getting the later and rebooting my computer either before or after witcher 3 play sessions seems to to elminate those.

Top Bottom