• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

thuway

Such bullshit that the 280X is getting outperformed by the 960.

Yeah I'm never buying another AMD card again. This shit is awful. Omega drivers were pretty cool, but Nvidia has been taking AMD's lunch for the last two years on nearly every major game. Batman will be no different. :/

x3sphere

Yeah I'm never buying another AMD card again. This shit is awful. Omega drivers were pretty cool, but Nvidia has been taking AMD's lunch for the last two years on nearly every major game. Batman will be no different. :/
You should take a look at performance of the previous GTX 700 series... 780 is only matching a 280X. Maxwell performs great but Nvidia totally ditched Kepler in this game, supposedly a driver update is coming to fix it but we will see.

Wag

You should take a look at performance of the previous GTX 700 series... 780 is only matching a 280X. Maxwell performs great but Nvidia totally ditched Kepler in this game, supposedly a driver update is coming to fix it but we will see.

I seriously have doubts about a Kepler update, especially with the 980Ti coming out. The best we can hope for is a performance increase if DX12 support is added to the game.

fastmower

Are people up in arms about this? I haven't paid close enough attention, I suppose.

prophecy0

Is there a trick to unlocking the locked bindings in the options menu? I can't seem to click or interact with the text that says "Unlock bindings".

yami4ct

has anybody else using DS4WINDOWS tried setting up macros on touch pad swipes to instantly use your signs?

It's awesome.

I'm actually fine with sign usage (especially given most of their large charge ups). The macro that made the game way better me was setting the map open to to the touch pad click. It only saves a couple button presses, but given how much I open the map it really saves my sanity.

Schlomo

has anybody else using DS4WINDOWS tried setting up macros on touch pad swipes to instantly use your signs?

It's awesome.

I made a shift button configuration for the 360 pad, but that sounds potentially even better. Can you still charge the signs with that configuration?

x3sphere

Are people up in arms about this? I haven't paid close enough attention, I suppose.

There's been a lot of uproar about it over on the Nvidia forums, that's what got them to investigate in the first place. I find it strange this went overlooked considering it's an NV sponsored title... but then again, if you dig deeper there's actually numerous games Kepler performance has went down relative to AMD's R9 series and the newer Maxwell cards. TW3 is just one of the more drastic examples.

I'm actually fine with sign usage (especially given most of their large charge ups). The macro that made the game way better me was setting the map open to to the touch pad click. It only saves a couple button presses, but given how much I open the map it really saves my sanity.

If you want to free up one of your DS4 buttons for another macro you can actually access the map from a controller with just one button press. Just press and hold the start button (Options if using a DS4 controller) and it will take you directly to the map!

Kezen

Banned
The game can be very CPU bound sometimes :
1.04 CPU benchmarks :

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_v.1.04-test-witcher3_proz.jpg

Bandito

Neo Member
Started playing last night and its absolutely excellent but sadly I'm getting some stutter when panning the camera. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it a case that I've to wait for next patch and pray

Brakus

Banned
Well I've finally fixed the crashing while ocing, I've had to put the clock speed from +241 to +81, I've had around 5 hours of crashless gaming, so it is possible to OC, just can't go very high at all! I guess it helps smooth out some dips, defintely smoother than at stock speeds.

sgs2008

What is the problem with it?

According to Nvidia's guide there's no difference between levels of terrain detail at the moment. Apparently its supposed to adjust levels of tessellation. As far as I can tell there is very little to no tesselation on most things like buildings. Right now it only seems to be used for water.

If you want to free up one of your DS4 buttons for another macro you can actually access the map from a controller with just one button press. Just press and hold the start button (Options if using a DS4 controller) and it will take you directly to the map!

Didn't know that, thanks.

Durante

There was a way better graph in the PC Gamer article by Durante. Essentially: If you have quadcore CPU with more then 2.2 GHz, you are fine.
To be fair, that was 4 Haswell-E cores. (the "E" part doesn't matter much, but it makes a minor difference in cache). I very much doubt that you could expect 60 FPS from 4 older Intel or AMD cores at that frequency.

It is interesting that 1.04 seems far more CPU bound than earlier versions in GameGPU's own benchmarks:
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Retro-The_Witcher_2_Assassins_of_Kings-test-witcher3_proz.jpg

What happened?

Edit:
Hmm, one is labeled "VHQ" and one "HQ".

jorimt

According to Nvidia's guide there's no difference between levels of terrain detail at the moment. Apparently its supposed to adjust levels of tessellation. As far as I can tell there is very little to no tesselation on most things like buildings. Right now it only seems to be used for water.

I took a look at the rendering.xml file located in "The Witcher 3\bin\config\r4game\user_config_matrix\pc," which lists all the preset differences between graphical settings, and found this:

<Var id="Virtual_TerrainOptionVar" displayName="terrain" displayType="OPTIONS" tags="refreshEngine">
<OptionsArray>
<Option id="0" displayName="low">
<Entry varId="TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier" value="30"/>
<Entry varId="TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold" value="4.0"/>
</Option>
<Option id="1" displayName="medium">
<Entry varId="TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier" value="20"/>
<Entry varId="TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold" value="3.0"/>
</Option>
<Option id="2" displayName="high">
<Entry varId="TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier" value="10"/>
<Entry varId="TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold" value="2.0"/>
</Option>
<Option id="3" displayName="uber">
<Entry varId="TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier" value="6"/>
<Entry varId="TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold" value="1.6"/>
</Option>
</OptionsArray>
</Var>

So it definitely looks like it's doing something, just maybe not what most assumed it was supposed to do.

To be fair, that was 4 Haswell-E cores. (the "E" part doesn't matter much, but it makes a minor difference in cache). I very much doubt that you could expect 60 FPS from 4 older Intel or AMD cores at that frequency.

It is interesting that 1.04 seems far more CPU bound than earlier versions in GameGPU's own benchmarks:
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Retro-The_Witcher_2_Assassins_of_Kings-test-witcher3_proz.jpg

What happened?

Edit:
Hmm, one is labeled "VHQ" and one "HQ".

VHQ is where it matters most apparently.

pestul

Just saw this posted on the Nvidia Forums, and man..that difference in performance from the 760 to the 960...lol.

https://youtu.be/lIbWyg0Qve4

Now I´m definitely waiting for Nvidia release the supposed driver that will fix Kepler performance, obviously expecting 5-10% improvements if any, which in my case using a 760 means 3 fps at best. Yay.
I love the way that test is presented. Simple, but very effective. Thanks, I subscribed to the channel.

Blitzhex

1.04 CPU benchmarks :

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_v.1.04-test-witcher3_proz.jpg

Wow, what a huge difference between stock sandy 2500k and haswell 4670k, didn't expect that. I wonder where my 4690k@4.7ghz falls on that chart, although cpu usage never goes above 75% using all ultra settings minus hairworks.

jett

D-Member
If you're on AMD DEFINITELY do not play anything but the proper full-screen mode. The difference in smoothness is astounding.

1.04 CPU benchmarks :

I don't understand how is this chart accurate.

I have a 4670k. Overclocking it to 4.2 did jackshit for my framerate. I mean, not even a single additional frame.

Kezen

Banned
If you're on AMD DEFINITELY do not play anything but the proper full-screen mode. The difference in smoothness is astounding.

I have a 4670k. Overclocking it to 4.2 did jackshit for my framerate. I mean, not even a single additional frame.

It can easily be explained by the fact that you may have benchmarked a difference location. Their CPU bench video is posted, take a look.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Started playing last night and its absolutely excellent but sadly I'm getting some stutter when panning the camera. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it a case that I've to wait for next patch and pray

Everyone has tried everything possible to fix it, and nothing works.

CDPROJEKT hasn't even acknowledged it as a problem, so it may never get fixed.

I've shelved the game myself because it is so fucking irritating, it saps all enjoyment out of the game for me.

Hoping they will fix it, but it really seems unlikely.

What happened?
I wonder what setting in VHQ causes that huge CPU reliance
Foliage Distance on Ultra should be the CPU intensive one, right?

yes higher foliage distance ... more draw calls would be my guess.

Bandito

Neo Member

I've shelved the game myself because it is so fucking irritating, it saps all enjoyment out of the game for me.

Well then, this is disappointing. I've barely played it specifically because of this and the Kepler issue. Gaaaah

GavinUK86

are geralt's arms disappearing during conversations for anyone else?

update: it only seems to do it with the blue skellige tunic not the black one. weird.

So I take it stutter is just gonna happen in this game?

I have tried in game Vsync, nvidia Vsync, d3d, and the RTSS frame lock method, all produce noticeable stutter when panning the camera.

I still am worried I didn't get the correct method right with RTSS - it was noticeably the worst of the bunch, stuttering constantly despite holding 60fps.

970/i5 2500k with all ultra except hair works off and foliage to high

EDIT: Ha ok, my bad, didn't even see the above convo was exactly this. Well that's a bummer. I was even hoping locking to 30 fps might help, but it doesn't

Wow, what a huge difference between stock sandy 2500k and haswell 4670k, didn't expect that. I wonder where my 4690k@4.7ghz falls on that chart, although cpu usage never goes above 75% using all ultra settings minus hairworks.

I find the I5 2500K -> i7 2600K difference even more interesting. More threads has a huge impact according to that chart.

If your very GPU bound, that would make sense and the other chart indicates that lower than Ultra settings takes the CPU out to of the equation for modern intel i5/i7s.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Thread-Share-your-info?p=1698075#post1698075

They have acknowledged the issue.

Performance is seemingly better with the Catalyst 15.5b drivers on my 6970. Will upgrade videocards after the big announcements next month.

Just downloaded a profile for DS4windows from nexus mods for this game so I can use the swipe functions for inventory and stuff... But for some reason there seems to be a fair amount of controller lag. If that's what it's called?! Anyone else finding this? I haven't played it for a few days and even with my old profile running it just feels a bit, off.

Corsick

Should I hold off on buying a 970 until the new cards are announced? Or should I not assume there will be a price drop? That's one of the reasons I'm holding off until next month, but I'm willing to buy a 970 today after evaluating my options.

s_mirage

So I take it stutter is just gonna happen in this game?

I have tried in game Vsync, nvidia Vsync, d3d, and the RTSS frame lock method, all produce noticeable stutter when panning the camera.

It seems so. The closet I've got to eliminating stuttering is to lock at 30 using half rate adaptive VSync rather than the in game limiter. That got rid of pretty much all of it for me, with the trade off being somewhat laggy menus.

If I lower my settings and run at 60 (most of the time), it's generally okay but tends to enter stutterville periodically (while the framerate is apparently constant).

RTSS hasn't helped me an awful lot.

SliChillax

Should I hold off on buying a 970 until the new cards are announced? Or should I not assume there will be a price drop? That's one of the reasons I'm holding off until next month, but I'm willing to buy a 970 today after evaluating my options.

There was a rumor that with the 980Ti being released the 980 would get a price cut. If the 980 gets a price cut then I assume so will the 970 so just wait one month maximum and then decide.

Salaadin

Anyone with the Nvidia driver crash issue able to fix it by rolling back? I figured Id be able to deal with it but its getting to the point where I cant play now without a crash every hour or so. Infuriating.

Top Bottom