• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Seiru

Banned
Bought a GTX 980 specifically for this game...now it runs awesome!

For 5 minutes at a time. And then it crashes. So bummed out.

viveks86

I haven't had a crash in ages. Inventory screen works every time. No idea why, but I'll gladly take it

How can I make the grass LoD better when I'm galloping on Roach? There's a very obvious line that appears ahead of me where the grass changes. Something in the render.ini file I can alter?

Increase GrassDistanceScale. I found 2.5 to hit the sweet spot, though Nvidia recommends 3.

Krakn3Dfx

My game started crashing....

Get a crash once an hour now

any solution?

I'm crashing now more too, in Novigrad, crashed twice today within an hour, and a couple of times when I was playing last night. Whole machine pretty much freezes up, I can move the mouse pointer around, but it won't click on anything and I end up just having to reboot.

Going to dial back to 1.01 and see if the problem goes away.

Edit: Nope, "Save cannot be loaded because it was using a newer version of the game".

Well fuck.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Probably not to easy to answer but I have a 7970 3GB , i2500k @ 4.2 ghz, 16 GB ram.

Will this run/look better at 1080p than the ps4? Thanks in advance for the help!

mintylurb

What kind of crash? black screen then CTD or one where you get a black screen and have to do a hard reboot?

Ive been getting the later and rebooting my computer either before or after witcher 3 play sessions seems to to elminate those.

When you get black screen with sound crash, you can just reboot safely without a hard reboot by pressing start button on the keyboard and press right arrow twice, up and press enter(windows 7).

GHG

Has anyone else got a wired glitch where you can no longer mount roach (the horse) after fast travelling back to white orchard?

Seiru

Banned
Turning off vsync and unlimiting frames seems to have helped my crashing. It was consistent, almost every combat. Hasn't happened since I changed the settings.

Lunar15

I'm sure it's been said countless times, but what's the premier way to inject AA into the game right now? Nvidia or SweetFX? I don't really want to one of the de-saturated SweetFX presets, I like the colors of the game as is.

CHC

I'm sure it's been said countless times, but what's the premier way to inject AA into the game right now? Nvidia or SweetFX? I don't really want to one of the de-saturated SweetFX presets, I like the colors of the game as is.

If you like the colors of the game probably just use Nvidia FXAA. It's pretty good (especially if downsampling) and it's so simple to do, guaranteed to work. SweetFX is simple too but not worth worrying about if all you want is AA.

bbd23

got to novigrad and now my game has started to crash. ugh, it was going so well.
it hangs for a bit then goes black, then closes by itself.

tioslash

Just saw this posted on the Nvidia Forums, and man..that difference in performance from the 760 to the 960...lol.

https://youtu.be/lIbWyg0Qve4

Now I´m definitely waiting for Nvidia release the supposed driver that will fix Kepler performance, obviously expecting 5-10% improvements if any, which in my case using a 760 means 3 fps at best. Yay.

Probably not to easy to answer but I have a 7970 3GB , i2500k @ 4.2 ghz, 16 GB ram.

Will this run/look better at 1080p than the ps4? Thanks in advance for the help!

I have the same CPU at the same speed, 8gb or RAM and a 7850 and it performs and looks much better than the PS4 version. So I would would say definitely yes.

red731

Reasons? I've largely seen people just say a small performance gain. What's negative?

Sorry for not being specific.

7970GHz
16GB RAM
i7 3770k@4.4
7200rpm drive

low-high-med-ultra mix of setting/ SSAO/ ingame AA off
RadeonPro disabled, monitoring via MSIAft, drivers default.

Before the patch I was standing on the coast, overlooking huge amount of water - 60fps(+-0.6)
After the patch I had dropped to around ~54fps.

Then I tried it with RP setting I had before - that caused another drop.
Disabling forced 16xAF mitigated some perf loss. SMAA was on and perf didn't change.
Tesselation on 8x was better then no tesselation settings.

I had more fps when I turned towards the forrest before the patch.
Still tinkering with settings. Again.

ike_

Man I gotta say, I've never had GeForce Experience lowball a game's settings so hard -- for my i5-4570/gtx760 it's optimal settings are: locked at 30fps, medium textures, medium detail, AA off, DoF off.

I've been switching back and forth between this suggestion and high textures, high detail, AA on, DoF on. I'm seeing a pretty noticeable visual improvement and absolutely no performance hit (locked at 30fps).

I think it just wants me to buy a 980.

Red Hood

Banned
By the way, I saw the AMD 15.5 beta driver for Witcher 3 has been available for a day now, how have you experienced it? Any negatives or positives? I'm rather satisfied how I run it now and I don't want to risk downloading a faulty driver.

edit: I'm a doofus, it's literally being discussed at this page. I'll give it a read.

Sorry for not being specific.

[...]

Still tinkering with settings. Again.

No problem. I appreciate the update. After installing mine, I can say I see no change; for better or for worse. Not quite sure what performance gains other people are seeing or where, but I didn't seem to get anything.

I just hope one day I can run my 980 FTW at the stock factory OC without my game crashing. I had to uninstall MSI afterburner and RTSS as well. Each time I start the game, I disable all my running programs, lower my clocks using Nvidia inspector and set fan speed to 55%. Seems to be fine. Still, kind of a hassle.

Just saw this posted on the Nvidia Forums, and man..that difference in performance from the 760 to the 960...lol.

Now I´m definitely waiting for Nvidia release the supposed driver that will fix Kepler performance, obviously expecting 5-10% improvements if any, which in my case using a 760 means 3 fps at best. Yay.

I am waiting for the driver fix too by looking at the prices of used GTX 780 cards; I want to know the appropriate price that I should ask for my GTX 780.

My game started crashing....

Get a crash once an hour now

any solution?

same here.

had logged maybe 20 hours in the game and had my first crash.

now its cherry is busted and it's crashing quite frequently [game will freeze, then go black, then CTD - takes about ~30 seconds to finish this cycle normally].

game also won't begin working again until a reboot [or two].

SaiyanRaoh

My game did no crashing before this latest update. After I uninstall this game , is there a way for me to reinstall and simply not update it? Or does steam include the newest updates when you download the game?

My saves may not work but damn it, at least I could actually play it.

Nothing at all.

Can you send me a link the files you're using? I tried to get 1000x better preset but he's got the reshade files uploaded to nexusmods and that's a pay to join site >:-(

Just use the official build from reshade.me website. It works.
I'm using a beta build which enables on/off toggle, but I don't have the link right now, unfortunately.

jett

D-Member

Such bullshit that the 280X is getting outperformed by the 960.

Nothing at all.

Can you send me a link the files you're using? I tried to get 1000x better preset but he's got the reshade files uploaded to nexusmods and that's a pay to join site >:-(

You can download mods on Nexus without paying anything. You don't even have to register for an account.

Cerity

Nothing at all.

The nexus sites are free to join, they just offer a paid service that gives you better download speeds and whatnot.

Something is wrong with the dude pushing buttons @ geforce experience

My suggsted 970 sli was usually near max settings

it just lowballed it to something like a 760

JohngPR

Anyone using the 15.5 drivers tested the water detail setting? With a 7850, it actually takes a 5+ fps hit around water with this card on ultra vs high, but not with 14.12.

Oddly enough I was getting dips when I was in water anywhere between 8-10fps after 1.04 hit and now after installing 15.5 I get close the 60fps in High water detail like I did before the patch. Whatever caused the decrease in performance when updating to 1.04 seemed to have fixed itself with the new AMD drivers, at least for me.

FLAguy954

Damn, yikes!

The 960 is surprisingly outperforming all the other cards and the 760 didn't stand a chance (sorry 760 owners).

The GeForece Experiance settings suggests I should have everything at Ultra with Hairworks. But I know it'll hit my frame rate (GTX980). Unless sub-60fps was their goal. Also I seem to have a few frame rate hitches post Geforce Experiance update. Can running it at the same time as the game do that? Think I'll turn it off.

kinggroin

Banned
The nexus sites are free to join, they just offer a paid service that gives you better download speeds and whatnot.

You can download mods on Nexus without paying anything. You don't even have to register for an account.

Just use the official build from reshade.me website. It works.
I'm using a beta build which enables on/off toggle, but I don't have the link right now, unfortunately.

Appreciate the help. Its not working.

Shows the initla black screen with the reshade info top left, then CTD.

If I leave the sweetfx_settings that come with the package, the game gets stuck at the compiling effects screen.

Ugh

It worked fine back on Win 7

Soltype

Yep, that's about what my 670FTW is getting.Hope there's an official fix for this .

Top Bottom