• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Does anyone else's game look somehow worse after the update? It's like my graphics settings have been lowered a notch or two, except everything is maxed in the menus (no hairworks).

MattyG

Banned
So I'm getting a weird "grid" looking effect in certain scenes and when LOD levels change as I walk towards certain things. I also just got a new GPU, so I'm concerned that it's a problem with that, but I saw it on my old GPU as well so I think it may be the game. This is what I mean (I'll link possibly spoiler-y pictures);

In the green force field

In the wall behind Geralt

In the light on the wall

Again, in the light

What is this? Is it the game or my GPU? Like I said, I saw it on my old 760, but I'm seeing it more on my new 970 after this last patch. It's only in certain scenes, but I'm seeing it more and more.

Edit: Okay, so apparently it's called "dithering". Is this caused by a fault in my GPU, or the game?

So I'm getting a weird "grid" looking effect in certain scenes and when LOD levels change as I walk towards certain things. I also just got a new GPU, so I'm concerned that it's a problem with that, but I saw it on my old GPU as well so I think it may be the game. This is what I mean (I'll link possibly spoiler-y pictures);

In the green force field

In the light on the wall

Again, in the light

What is this? Is it the game or my GPU? Like I said, I saw it on my old 760, but I'm seeing it more on my new 970 after this last patch. It's only in certain scenes, but I'm seeing it more and more.

Edit: Okay, so apparently it's called "dithering". Is this caused by a fault in my GPU, or the game?

It's the game.

In the green force field

In the light on the wall

Again, in the light

yeah, screen-door effect - bunch of us have noticed this, not your hardware no worries!

also full of terrible colour banding - always makes me worry my monitor sucks [which it doesn't!].

Exuro

I hope one of the dlcs is adding content to the devils pit point of interest. Cool area, but you can't actually go into the cave. :( Someone cheatengine'd into it and it looks pretty finished environment wise.

My menu was always capped to what I presume was 30 even though it hovered around 27/28 according to afterburner and fraps. It didn't feel sluggish though so I'm not sure what was going on there. It says 60 now yet it feels the same.

I'm pretty sure it's not capped at all from the beginning.
It was 60 if I set my framerate at 60 before patch, I even had a screenshot of it.

nick nacc

Banned
ohhh myyyy goddddd. I am writing this just incase another poor soul like me hasn't realized it.

Turn sharping to low.

EVERYTHING looks so much more quality now. The trees, grass foliage don't look "cheap" anymore! HNNNGGG this game looks amazing now. Now I just keep switching back and forth with the depth of field.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Please tell me I'm not the only one experiencing stuttering with v-sync on. Frame rate staying at 60fps. Noticeably worse when having the green toxin effect around the screen.

playing on sngle 980 ti and i7 4770k

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
ohhh myyyy goddddd. I am writing this just incase another poor soul like me hasn't realized it.

Turn sharping to low.

EVERYTHING looks so much more quality now. The trees, grass foliage don't look "cheap" anymore! HNNNGGG this game looks amazing now. Now I just keep switching back and forth with the depth of field.

What did you have it on before...?

Ok after carefully inspecting certain areas I can definitely say my fps went down quite a bit with some spots going down to low 50-60 when they normally were in the 70's. Not entirely sure if maybe certain settings weren't working correctly before this patch or not but I can't exactly remember anything looking worse or better now after the patch.

were their any issues with shadows possibly on high not working correctly before the patch? I might have to set it to medium to sustain the same fps before the patch.

970 oc with everything on ultra besides shadows and foliage being set to high.

Please tell me I'm not the only one experiencing stuttering with v-sync on. Frame rate staying at 60fps. Noticeably worse when having the green toxin effect around the screen.

how you v-syncing?

don't use the in-game v-sync [like... ever?].

just force it through nvidia control panel - as well as maximum pre-rendered frames, etc. etc.

Ceebs

Finally tried the game out at 4K on my new 980 ti. Everything on ultra except hairworks and AA. stays a pretty constant 35fps, so I locked it down to 30 and have yet to see a drop while running about in Novigrad. While not ideal, it does look amazing and my be worth it.

MattyG

Banned

I wasn't, but I just hit Skellige and it got really bad.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
Ok after carefully inspecting certain areas I can definitely say my fps went down quite a bit with some spots going down to low 50-60 when they normally were in the 70's. Not entirely sure if maybe certain settings weren't working correctly before this patch or not but I can't exactly remember anything looking worse or better now after the patch.

were their any issues with shadows possibly on high not working correctly before the patch? I might have to set it to medium to sustain the same fps before the patch.

970 oc with everything on ultra besides shadows and foliage being set to high.

That's a pretty big drop.

I've been playing off and on since this afternoon and haven't seen any obvious performance degradation on my OC'd 970 with the new patch. I played normally but I did jump on Roach and spent about 15 minutes travelling a crossed Velen to see if If there was any FPS fluctuation that was out of the ordinary. Nothing jumped out at me.

That's a pretty big drop.

I've been playing off and on since this afternoon and haven't seen any obvious performance degradation on my OC'd 970 with the new patch. I played normally but I did jump on Roach and spent about 15 minutes travelling a crossed Velen to see if If there was any FPS fluctuation that was out of the ordinary. Nothing jumped out at me.

have you been to the Byways in Velen? In this particular village my fps drop down into the 40's at night and 50s during the day until I drop my shadows to medium and only then can I somewhat sustain 60fps.

While in most other areas it seems my fps dropped a bit from shadows being on high.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
how you v-syncing?

don't use the in-game v-sync [like... ever?].

just force it through nvidia control panel - as well as maximum pre-rendered frames, etc. etc.

I forced v sync through nvidia inspector and set to unlimited in game. Can grass density and foliage be a factor?

Neither cpu or gpu are over 70% when it happens

I think im gonna rollback on these drivers, the 352.86, I even somehow managed to get worse performance when trying to get the steam overlay running on the gog version

I figured out what happened for me, after the patch the game put my TextureMipBias settings to -1 which lowered my fps quite a bit so by setting it back to 0 everything was fine once again

edit: actually I take that back, maybe the patch messed with the ini shadow and foliage settings but putting them both on medium with everything else on ultra helped and now the performance matches that of 1.04 high shadow and foliage settings. If only I could revert back to 1.04 to check.

SmartBase

Still can't get Crossfire working properly without the all the flickering and bugged reflections in interiors but the performance scaling is there.

Nah, it's correct. A matter of less than 30 PPI.

EDIT: Here, I'll even show you the numbers. the 34" 3440x1440 has a PPI of 109.68. The 27" 1920x1080 has a PPI of 81.59.

A ~25% difference in PPI isn't exactly a small difference, but whatever. This is silly and is my last post on the matter.

cyen

Game is crashing left and right because of nvidia drivers, even when browsing with chrome the driver crashes multiple times a day, can´t play the game this way. I will either wait for a driver update or rollback to a older driver.

Grechy34

So I been playing on Ultra, locked at 30fps on a 780ti at 1080p and I just can't any more. I need to get 60. What are some of the more demending settings, without a huge visual hit?

I'm so close to just ordering a 980 ti.

Turned the hairworks to just Geralt, NPCs density and foliage on High. Getting high 40's-50 now! Wow, I'm almost there.

Completely turn off hairworks. You've scored 5FPS there.

I seriously don't get what's happening with the game post patch, I even get low 20s on caves, and then outside when travelling smoothness.

I also don't see any advantage to running the game fullscreen, seems like borderless gets better framerate

Game is crashing left and right because of nvidia drivers, even when browsing with chrome the driver crashes multiple times a day, can´t play the game this way. I will either wait for a driver update or rollback to a older driver.

I stuck with the GTA drivers and haven't had a problem since.

tuxfool

Banned
What does it do? The difference?
Why do everyone seem changing it to 0?

In visual terms it means that it uses the more detailed mips closer to the camera. This means that textures will look more detailed and sharper. The side effect is that it leads to more texture aliasing (such that even the decent AA solution in the game cannot compensate for it) and places a heavier load on the gpu.

Whatever level you choose is up to personal preference. I'd say negative numbers are really only better when you use resolutions higher than 1080p.

Qassim

Any 770/780/780Ti owners that can comment if new drivers helped at all?

In the areas where the changing the PhysX to 'CPU' helped (and gave around a 10-15fps increase), the Kepler drivers also helped to the same extent without changing the PhysX to CPU.

2x GTX 780s

In visual terms it means that it uses the more detailed mips closer to the camera. This means that textures will look more detailed and sharper. The side effect is that it leads to more texture aliasing (such that even the decent AA solution in the game cannot compensate for it) and places a heavier load on the gpu.

Whatever level you choose is up to personal preference. I'd say negative numbers are really only better when you use resolutions higher than 1080p.

Great explanation, thanks.
I'll try it out later then.

SnowDrops

Getting some god-awful squealing sound from my pc when alt-tabbing out of full screen mode after the patch. Never heard anything like it.

I noticed my fans spinning up more than they used to before the patch when alt-tabbing so I checked on CPU-Usage, and I just about doubled while Alt-Tabbed out to desktop.
It sat at around 32% on 1.04 and now it goes up to 60+% on 1.05

Awntawn

Managed to get a few hours in without any crashing with my full OC. Doubt it has anything to do with the patch itself, considering what people have been saying.

I did a number of things while waiting for the patch that might have done the trick. I tried this guide for disabling the shield streaming service. Heard this frees up some performance too, so might as well.

Mostly though, I figured that since Chrome keeps crashing the NVIDIA drivers, maybe the game was crashing as a result of that instead of causing the crashes itself. I noticed that Chrome by default allows apps to run in the background even with the browser is closed. I disabled this in Chrome settings (show advanced settings all the way at the bottom). Maybe it'll work for others as well.

Also entirely possible I just got lucky, but I'm pretty encouraged for now. We'll see ;o

How come RTSS doesn't show any frame limiting options?

mhzpH7U.png

I noticed my fans spinning up more than they used to before the patch when alt-tabbing so I checked on CPU-Usage, and I just about doubled while Alt-Tabbed out to desktop.
It sat at around 32% on 1.04 and now it goes up to 60+% on 1.05

Do you just check cpu usage by alt tabbing to the task manager? If so when I check mine it stays around 17%

Wonder if thats the cause of my problems with this new patch.

SnowDrops

Getting some god-awful squealing sound from my pc when alt-tabbing out of full screen mode after the patch. Never heard anything like it.

Do you just check cpu usage by alt tabbing to the task manager? If so when I check mine it stays around 17%

I have the task-manager open on the second screen and graphics-monitoring too

the CPU-usage stays at around 30% while in the wilds in skellige, the second I Alt-Tab out it goes up to twice the CPU usage for no apparent reasons since 1.05.
Haven't been to Novigrad yet since updating to 1.05 so I can't tell if the Ingame CPU usage is that different from Alt-Tabbed usage there too (since usage in Novigrad is at around 60 to 70% anyway)

btw, 4790k @ 4.6GHz

SnowDrops

HA, just tried around a little and found something interesting:

When I open up the Game-Menu (the one you select inventory or map or whatever from) and Alt-Tab out of this screen, the CPU-Usage shoots up to 60+% while on the desktop

If I, on the other hand, pause the game (esc) and then Alt-Tab out the CPU-Usage stays down at around 22% but my GPU goes all the way up to 99% even to it was around 65% holding the 60fps in the pause-menu.

With Inventory-Screen up before Alt-Tabbing:
CPU-Usage_Witcher3_Alt_Tabbed.png

With Pause-Menu up before Alt-Tabbing:
CPU-Usage_Witcher3_Alt_Tabbed_from_gameplay.png

Is there any LOD settings available in the .ini file? I have performance to spare and I'd love to extend the range of higher quality models. Some of the cutscenes seem unnecessarily marred by assets being loaded as the camera turns to a character. Jewelry, tattoos, detailed hair, sometimes take a brief moment to load, which destroys any improved visuals the higher detail model adds.

tuxfool

Banned
Is there any LOD settings available in the .ini file? I have performance to spare and I'd love to extend the range of higher quality models. Some of the cutscenes seem unnecessarily marred by assets being loaded as the camera turns to a character. Jewelry, tattoos, detailed hair, sometimes take a brief moment to load, which destroys any improved visuals the higher detail model adds.

See the link to the guide above you.

Unfortunately, the LOD scaling only seems to be effective with foliage. Other assets don't seem to scale much.

Top Bottom