• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

The hell. I've just got my new 970, from a 770 and the performance in seeing is not as good as I thought. I was getting solid 30fps and now I hit it the 50-60 fps with the same gfx settings. I was hoping for a locked 60 to be honest!

What overclocking software are peeps using for their 970s?

See the link to the guide above you.

Unfortunately, the LOD scaling only seems to be effective with foliage. Other assets don't seem to scale much.

Thanks,

[LevelOfDetail]
DecalsHideDistance= [Ultra value: 80]
DynamicDecalsHideDistance= [Default value: 20]
DimmerHideDistance= [Default value: 60]
StripeHideDistance= [Default value: 60]
SwarmHideDistance= [Default value: 200]

DeacalsHideDistance would impact things like tattoos maybe? It's strange because it seems that the LOD settings during cutscenes is more conservative, swapping out models that are quite close.

The hell. I've just got my new 970, from a 770 and the performance in seeing is not as good as I thought. I was getting solid 30fps and now I hit it the 50-60 fps with the same gfx settings. I was hoping for a locked 60 to be honest!

I'm looking at benchmarks for the Witcher 3 and that is the precisely the improvement you should have expected. There are a lot of people here using GTX 970 that can give you some settings suggestions to hit that performance target I think.

JustinBB7

I keep crashing randomly, the game continues and I keep hearing the audio, but it tabs me out to desktop while the game keeps going. But I can't tab back in. Is there a fix for this yet?

Running latest nvidia drivers on a 970, all settings on ultra and hairworks off.

Thanks,

[LevelOfDetail]
DecalsHideDistance= [Ultra value: 80]
DynamicDecalsHideDistance= [Default value: 20]
DimmerHideDistance= [Default value: 60]
StripeHideDistance= [Default value: 60]
SwarmHideDistance= [Default value: 200]

DeacalsHideDistance would impact things like tattoos maybe? It's strange because it seems that the LOD settings during cutscenes is more conservative, swapping out models that are quite close.

I'm looking at benchmarks for the Witcher 3 and that is the precisely the improvement you should have expected. There are a lot of people here using GTX 970 that can give you some settings suggestions to hit that performance target I think.

That can't be right. Because if I unlocked my frame rate on my 770 I was getting 45-50 fps most the time apart from novigrad. And to upgrade to a 970 and not be able to even hit 60fps doesn't seem right to me.

GHG

Any 770/780/780Ti owners that can comment if new drivers helped at all?

660 sli (kelper) here. New drivers and new patch have really smoothed things out. I'm getting far fewer dips below 30fps (it's very rare that it even happens now during gameplay) and the stuttering is pretty much non existent now.

Maxed out at 1080p with hairworks on btw.

Zakalwe

Banned
That can't be right. Because if I unlocked my frame rate on my 770 I was getting 45-50 fps most the time apart from novigrad. And to upgrade to a 970 and not be able to even hit 60fps doesn't seem right to me.

What settings?

A 970 will produce results like:

Hair works off
All post processing on
Everything ultra except shadows, foliage, grass on high
50-60fps

So if your setings are close to those you're about right.

What settings?

Hair works off
All post processing on
50-60fps

I have all thoae settings apart from a few post processing option off like vignette, sharpening and blur/motion blur. And yeah getting 50-60fps. Just expected more I guess considering the performance I was getting with my 770.

What settings?

Hair works off
All post processing on
50-60fps

I run with full hairworks on, all PP, everything ultra except shadows on medium and get 50-60 fps on a 970. On some very rare scenes it drops to 45 for a few seconds.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have all thoae settings apart from a few post processing option off like vignette, sharpening and blur/motion blur. And yeah getting 50-60fps. Just expected more I guess considering the performance I was getting with my 770.

If you want to lock it then try overclocking your gpu. Seen reports suggesting it's possible at these settings.

I run with full hairworks on, all PP, everything ultra except shadows on medium and get 50-60 fps on a 970. On some very rare scenes it drops to 45 for a few seconds.

Not tried hairworks post patch, but it was dropping below 50 for me fairly regularly before with it enabled. With grass and foliage ultra it would dip lower more often for sure., 35-40 lows.

Improved that much since the update?

The past few patches have given me a decent FPS increase.

Just played in Velen for about 2 hours, 53-59 the entire time.

Everything on Ultra + Hairworks.

Running 2x78Ti @ 1440p (With G-Sync). Full screen, frame counter set to unlimited.

Not tried hairworks post patch, but it was dropping below 50 for me fairly regularly before with it enabled. With grass and foliage ultra it would dip lower more often for sure., 35-40 lows.

Improved that much since the update?

I've had these settings since launch and haven't really noticed any improvements since the patch.

Axial

Recent Nvidia drivers and the 1.05 patch made the game shine on my GTX770. Running everything on high, all postfx turned on with hbao+ @1080p and for the most part the game stays at a pleasant 60fps with the occasional drop of a couple fps in some more demanding/dense areas. Even the notorious stutter in villages and bigger cities is gone.

Ragus

Banned
Recent Nvidia drivers and the 1.05 patch made the game shine on my GTX770. Running everything on high, all postfx turned on with hbao+ @1080p and for the most part the game stays at a pleasant 60fps with the occasional drop of a couple fps in some more demanding/dense areas. Even the notorious stutter in villages and bigger cities is gone.

770 4gb or 2 gb? What cpu?

Sevenfold

HA, just tried around a little and found something interesting:

When I open up the Game-Menu (the one you select inventory or map or whatever from) and Alt-Tab out of this screen, the CPU-Usage shoots up to 60+% while on the desktop

If I, on the other hand, pause the game (esc) and then Alt-Tab out the CPU-Usage stays down at around 22% but my GPU goes all the way up to 99% even to it was around 65% holding the 60fps in the pause-menu.

With Inventory-Screen up before Alt-Tabbing:
CPU-Usage_Witcher3_Alt_Tabbed.png

With Pause-Menu up before Alt-Tabbing:
CPU-Usage_Witcher3_Alt_Tabbed_from_gameplay.png

I've been opening the map before alt tabbing. Seems to be better.

SnowDrops

I've been opening the map before alt tabbing. Seems to be better.

Just tested that and it didn't make any difference to Inventory, since patch 1.05 my CPU usage goes up to over 60% no matter from where of that Game-Menu I Alt-Tab from.

So its eighter CPU at 60% or GPU at 99%, I'll just have to go with CPU then :/

Ace 8095

I keep crashing randomly, the game continues and I keep hearing the audio, but it tabs me out to desktop while the game keeps going. But I can't tab back in. Is there a fix for this yet?

Running latest nvidia drivers on a 970, all settings on ultra and hairworks off.
I believe the solution is to downclock your card. Durante wrote this

A topic that has come up quite a bit are game crashes. I’ve luckily not experienced these first hand, but out of curiosity I tried a very minor overclock on my GPU, one which works without issues in other titles. With just 50 Mhz above the default of my (stock overclocked) 970 I had a driver crash after less than 15 minutes in the game. While it’s unlikely to be the solution to all problems, it does appear that The Witcher 3 is very sensitive to system stability, so if you are overclocking do try to see if it might be the cause of any stability problems you encounter.

Sevenfold

Just tested that and it didn't make any difference to Inventory, since patch 1.05 my CPU usage goes up to over 60% no matter from where of that Game-Menu I Alt-Tab from.

So its eighter CPU at 60% or GPU at 99%, I'll just have to go with CPU then :/

Does it differ if you change the process to high priority?

JustinBB7

I believe the solution is to downclock your card. Durante wrote this

I fixed it just now by turning FPS to unlimited and putting it on fullscreen instead of borderless window mode. Played 2 hours+ without crashing this time. It's always been super random though. But think that fixed it for me.

Salaadin

Latest update made it so that MSI Afterburner and/or RTSS breaks the game. If I have them up, The Witcher 3 just cant get past the initial load. Very annoying.

Latest update made it so that MSI Afterburner and/or RTSS breaks the game. If I have them up, The Witcher 3 just cant get past the initial load. Very annoying.

I've heard a lot of people mention this. I use both and have used both since day one. An unstable oc causes a crash. That's pretty well known though. Once I found a stable oc, I haven't had any issues. I don't run any background programs. I have a 770 and run everything on 8.1. Here are more of my settings in detail.

Qassim

I'm on the latest update of the game and the latest update of Afterburner & RTSS and everything runs perfectly for me so it isn't a blanket 'this update broke x'.

I fixed it just now by turning FPS to unlimited and putting it on fullscreen instead of borderless window mode. Played 2 hours+ without crashing this time. It's always been super random though. But think that fixed it for me.

I think it's always just random. I play fullscreen, framerate unlimited and I will go hours and hours with no crashes only two get two crases within 15 minutes the next time I play the game. No rhyme or reason.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm getting 70-90fps with odd time down to 65 all ultra except shadows on high

What CPU you got?

Without the OC its still like 60-80fps

970?

Lots if people claiming 60-80, I'm at slightly lower settings than that and I'm only getting 50-60 (drops to 45-50 in Novigrad).

I52500k@4.3ghz. I imagine many if you have newer CPUs, but it wouldn't be responsible for such a large hit.

Could you (or anyone with a 970 who's getting similar results) take a video of your settings and frame rates? Would like to see evidence so I can look into it furthe if need be.

970?

Lots if people claiming 60-80, I'm at slightly lower settings than that and I'm only getting 50-60 (drops to 45-50 in Novigrad).

I52500k@4.3ghz. I imagine many if you have newer CPUs, but it wouldn't be responsible for such a large hit.

Could you (or anyone with a 970 who's getting similar results) take a video of your settings and frame rates? Would like to see evidence so I can look into it furthe if need be.

970 with a i7 930 3.8ghz.

Will try a video later on

Salaadin

I've heard a lot of people mention this. I use both and have used both since day one. An unstable oc causes a crash. That's pretty well known though. Once I found a stable oc, I haven't had any issues. I don't run any background programs. I have a 770 and run everything on 8.1. Here are more of my settings in detail.

Ive been using both since Day 1 too. Never had any issues at all. The only change is the new update.

I reset my OC to default and it still crashes. The only way around it is to completely turn off MSI AB and RTSS so something in that latest update doesnt like my system. I dont know.
I guess Ill just live without them.

Any 770/780/780Ti owners that can comment if new drivers helped at all?

I have a 770 2GB. The game is running MUCH better with the 1.05 patch. I used to play @ 768p because I'll take frames over resolution. Now I'm getting a very smooth game @ 1080p with high textures. The only place it got a little frame-y is Novigrad. Even there, it's much better than before.

I'm getting 70-90fps with odd time down to 65 all ultra except shadows on high

What CPU you got?

Without the OC its still like 60-80fps

I was basically getting the same results as you before this patch with my oced 970 and i72600@4.0 but now its more like 50-70 with some dips even to 47-48 (byways around 7pm) with everything on ultra except foliage and shadows on high. Had to lower shadows and foliage to medium to keep it above 60 in all situations.

Does anyone know if theres a way to manually switch back to an olde version of the game?

KiraXD

I have a 770 2GB. The game is running MUCH better with the 1.05 patch. I used to play @ 768p because I'll take frames over resolution. Now I'm getting a very smooth game @ 1080p with high textures. The only place it got a little frame-y is Novigrad. Even there, it's much better than before.

yeah im running AMD R7 260x i was also running in 768p but decided to OC my card (i dont usually mess with OC since im not too much a PC gamer) but i can run the game @1080p with pretty much all high settings @30fps without dips.

kinda cool, because i was sure this card wasnt powerful enough for most of todays games @ high.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Damn...that makes me want to turn on Hairworks. I don't think it gets much longer though.
If you are using the Long&open hairstyle or the ponytail with shaved sides with 2xAA you have nearly no performance drop from Hairworks.
970 with a i7 930 3.8ghz.

Will try a video later on
Please make a video of you running around in the swamps of crookback bog.
I have a hard time believing your claimed frame-rates because on the experiences i made with my GTX980.

mm04

Please make a video of you running around in the swamps of crookback bog.

I have a hard time believing your claimed frame-rates because on the experiences i made with my GTX980.

Yeah, it would be nice to know all settings, resolution etc., when saying I get XX fps in this thread. One or two deviances can make a world of difference in performance.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or are certain areas really bad performance wise, and it's not even the super populated areas, I'll just come to a random places and get frame drops when I'm normally at 60 locked.

Is it just me or are certain areas really bad performance wise, and it's not even the super populated areas, I'll just come to a random places and get frame drops when I'm normally at 60 locked.

The swamps/bog area is nasty. I can get 30+ with fairly high settings on a 7850 nearly all the time, but when in the swamps, it is much lower. Add in rain and combat, and it's not great. I'd have to lower so much that it wouldn't be worth it for that one area.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hmm, thanks for updates.
Yeah some are. Like home base can get kinda janky with nothing going on.

Is the crash where the picture freezes but the audio continues a driver issue or is it only related to this game as I havent had it happen on any other game I'm playing atm?

Top Bottom