• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is the crash where the picture freezes but the audio continues a driver issue or is it only related to this game as I havent had it happen on any other game I'm playing atm?
This game.

Try updating driver/game version if you haven't.

Can also try unlocked FPS/Fullscreen (or whatever setting you aren't on). I haven't run into it in 60 hours since I last had it running uncapped/fullscreen windowed

viveks86

Just tried 1.05. Works exactly like it used to. No issues with OC, precision and sweetfx, Titan X SLI. I've never seen any camera panning stutter so I didn't see a difference. The only periodic stutter I got was when geralt is running or on horseback. That still remains even though framerate is well above 60 at 1620p

Just tried 1.05. Works exactly like it used to. No issues with OC, precision and sweetfx, Titan X SLI. I've never seen any camera panning stutter so I didn't see a difference. The only periodic stutter I got was when geralt is running or on horseback. That still remains even though framerate is well above 60 at 1620p

Yeah, until they recognize those camera animation problems (also happens on footag while running even), it won't be fixed.

I hope they look into that for future patches!

Just for the heck of it, I went back and reinstalled the AMD 14.12 drivers from Dec. 2014 and guess what? There was literally NO difference in performance in The Witcher 3 compared to the 15.5 betas (even with HairWorks turned on and the 8x Tessellation tweak applied in CCC).

(Note: My GPU is an R9 270X just in case you're wondering.)

Is there any different to medium shadows and high shadows?! I can't see one but if I drop from high to medium I can get a completely solid 60fps with no stutter whatsoever. As soon as a put shadows to high I'll get 50-60fps with stutter.

Also, I don't know why, but now having a better card I tried puttting sharpening on high and it looks really good at 60fps. Just looks super crisp and realistic.

Is it just me or are certain areas really bad performance wise, and it's not even the super populated areas, I'll just come to a random places and get frame drops when I'm normally at 60 locked.

this is what I've been experiencing, I'm just not sure if it was this way prior to the patch or not in those specific areas.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
this is what I've been experiencing, I'm just not sure if it was this way prior to the patch or not in those specific areas.

I honestly feel like I'm getting worse overall performance than before the patch, I never used to dip this often.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'll keep it at medium then. Game feels a mile smoother now on my 970

Yep, I dropped shadows and foliage distance to medium on my 970 and it's mostly 60fps, only a few weird dips here and there. Rest on ultra with hairworks off.

Kalm

Getting constant menu-related crashes on the latest Nvidia drivers since 1.05. No problems before now.

Basically the game keeps chugging along but the display is frozen on a menu. Happens with inventory, crafting, map, shop etc.

The only way out of it is to blindly find the "Exit", "Exit to Main Menu", or "Load Game" options using the controller at which point it CTD's. Otherwise, I have to do a hard-reset.

I'm soooooo close to the end too. F*ck.

EDIT: Should also note that with the latest drivers and 1.05, I was able to turn Foilage Distance back up to Ultra and still maintain 60fps on SLI 780 Ti's. This was impossible before so that's something I guess.

red731

Latest update made it so that MSI Afterburner and/or RTSS breaks the game. If I have them up, The Witcher 3 just cant get past the initial load. Very annoying.

Latest update works fine w/ MSI Afterburner + RTSS.
You are propably on Steam, right? Disable Steam overlay and try again. I have GOG ver so can't confirm anything.

If you have another injector like RadeonPro with Witcher 3 profile, then disable that, or MSI A.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Afterburner OSD crashes the game for me so I have to disable it.

Blitzhex

They fixed hud positioning for 21:9 this patch and the wallpaper that shifts around in loading screens is now longer. The hud used to be centered before.

292030_2015-06-07_0006njnr.png

Nice to see some widescreen support from devs, but the dialogue cutscenes still have blackbars though.

970?

Lots if people claiming 60-80, I'm at slightly lower settings than that and I'm only getting 50-60 (drops to 45-50 in Novigrad).

I52500k@4.3ghz. I imagine many if you have newer CPUs, but it wouldn't be responsible for such a large hit.

Could you (or anyone with a 970 who's getting similar results) take a video of your settings and frame rates? Would like to see evidence so I can look into it furthe if need be.

Here's a video of where the screenshots were took. MSI Afterburner video capture makes me lose 10-15 fps so went with foliage range to high. 70-77fps in video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UVkgL4t-s&feature=youtu.be

Without recording its high as 87-90.

Please make a video of you running around in the swamps of crookback bog.
I have a hard time believing your claimed frame-rates because on the experiences i made with my GTX980.

Frame rate I'm referencing are in relation to the screens I posted and talk with others general performance which some are getting the same and some aren't. No bog was talked about but I'll keep a look out for crookback bog

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just for the heck of it, I went back and reinstalled the AMD 14.12 drivers from Dec. 2014 and guess what? There was literally NO difference in performance in The Witcher 3 compared to the 15.5 betas (even with HairWorks turned on and the 8x Tessellation tweak applied in CCC).

(Note: My GPU is an R9 270X just in case you're wondering.)

It's weird. I have the same GPU, and I've never experienced ANY performance gains after the updates for any new games. Do they even optimize for single GPUs anymore? The notes always mention Crossfire setups.

KiraXD

So im Running Sapphire R7 260x OC'd a tad bit...
CPU is an old Core 2 Quad q8300 (lol)
RAM 8GB

Unfortunately Fraps kills FPS during recording and compression in video is terrible...

but it runs at 1080p 30fps with almost all high settings with the exceptions:
shadows and background characters set to medium...
Water - Ultra
SSAO
Hairworks off
Motion Blur off
Sharpening off (i dont like how it looks anyway)

...and i get a solid 30fps (since im not a big PC gamer...and a HUGE console gamer... 30fps is acceptable for me lol.)

you can see in this little clip, its pretty decent, though running fraps kills it (you can see it hiccup when discovering the area) but without fraps... 1080p 30fps is pretty rad for my card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRMLuzK72N0

AxI79Oh.png

leStZbE.png

5Rz3zHx.png

M.J. Doja

Banned
R9 270x Graphics
i5-4590 CPU
6gb RAM
Running everything on high. Vsync.
Hairworks off.

Everything is smooth with little to no jitters. Recently upgraded from an i3 CPU which made a big difference. No complaints at the moment except for the performance tradeoff with Hairworks. I think it looks nice but isn't worth the ~10fps

Blitzhex

I'm getting tearing with fullscreen adaptive vsync (half refresh rate) even though my fps never drops below 30 and I've locked it from increasing with RTSS. Anyone know why that is?

Salaadin

Latest update works fine w/ MSI Afterburner + RTSS.
You are propably on Steam, right? Disable Steam overlay and try again. I have GOG ver so can't confirm anything.

If you have another injector like RadeonPro with Witcher 3 profile, then disable that, or MSI A.

Gog. And I'm not the only one with the issue. There's something weird in there.

Afterburner OSD crashes the game for me so I have to disable it.

This I didn't try yet but I will when I get the chance

Corpsepyre

Banned
R9 270x Graphics
i5-4590 CPU
6gb RAM
Running everything on high. Vsync.
Hairworks off.

Everything is smooth with little to no jitters. Recently upgraded from an i3 CPU which made a big difference. No complaints at the moment except for the performance tradeoff with Hairworks. I think it looks nice but isn't worth the ~10fps

Hi. I have an i3 4130. How big of a jump did you get from that CPU? I'm thinking of getting i5 4590.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Argh. The game decided it was time to run in Borderless and ONLY borderless. Can't switch to full screen for my life

Edit: Found a fix, change your settings with the mouse and it'll change it properly :).

Artifacts? I've seen that happen but it was prior to 1.05. I've seen other people report it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECqC6s4M_Y

Did a few searches and there appears to be a ton of reports of it on the official forums. Its not a video card issue, either. It appears to happen more when multiple Rotfiends are grouped and trigger a chain of explosions.

The game has run flawlessly for me outside of that.

Herne

Is anyone having an issue with sound in cutscenes? Sometimes I hear someone running, as if some npc was caught in place when the cutscene triggered. It's happened right through from release to patch 1.05. Is anyone else getting this?

Yeah, that was the PS4 version as well. It's one of those bugs that freaks you out but it's been reported so many times and on different platforms, I'm not too worried about it other than it looks terrible.

Yeah the first time it happened I thought my new 980ti was dying or something. lol.

I have been running into a bug I never experienced before 1.05. Sometimes when I load a save, the game just goes to a black screen and hangs. I have to force exit the process. I relaunch and the save loads. It's the first serious bug I've encountered.

I was worried about Skellige because I'd read that it's more performance-intensive than Novigrad/Velen. Ever since arriving, I've been able to set everything to ultra (hairworks still off) and never drop below 60 FPS. Before I had to have foliage distance at high. Maybe the patch helped? 1.05 hit right as I was starting the area. Really loving the environment. And dat music.

I did experience my very first crash though... 102 hours in. Very exciting.

dreamfall

I really need a button that clears everything off the screen so I can just take screenshots without turning the pieces of it off individually. Also, I wish pressing a button to take a screenshot during a cutscene or dialogue setpiece didn't show "Press SPACE to skip" or whatever!

hermeslyre

Neo Member
I keep crashing randomly, the game continues and I keep hearing the audio, but it tabs me out to desktop while the game keeps going. But I can't tab back in. Is there a fix for this yet?

Running latest nvidia drivers on a 970, all settings on ultra and hairworks off.

I believe the solution is to downclock your card. Durante wrote this

That's one solution. Maybe the only solution if you need to stay with the latest driver release.

But the better solution is to roll back to 352.12 or 347.xx which is stable for most people and overclock to your hearts content. The guy above was disappointed he couldn't get a locked 60fps on his new 970, overclocking is the optimal solution to that. All these 900 series cards have 15 - 20% extra performance just waiting to be unlocked with a couple slider adjustments.

berval

I have been running into a bug I never experienced before 1.05. Sometimes when I load a save, the game just goes to a black screen and hangs. I have to force exit the process. I relaunch and the save loads. It's the first serious bug I've encountered.

I've had this happen since 1.03. It's the gog version and it only seems to do this when I launch it through steam. Works just fine if it's launched through galaxy.

knitoe

I notice major stuttering and fps dropping to high 30s. Found out it was because I enable Gsync in Windowed and full screen mode. Reverted back to full screen mode only and back to 50+ fps.

I notice major stuttering and fps dropping to high 30s. Found out it was because I enable Gsync in Windowed and full screen mode. Reverted back to full screen mode only and back to 50+ fps.

I saw a hotfix driver for that was posted earlier here.

I've had this happen since 1.03. It's the gog version and it only seems to do this when I launch it through steam. Works just fine if it's launched through galaxy.

Interesting, I have the Steam version, it first started happening today after 75 hours of playtime.

Not a very demanding area and you're not doing anything but walking.

How about in a city? In Novigrad? The Swamp? Other more demand in areas?

You said
Lots if people claiming 60-80, I'm at slightly lower settings than that and I'm only getting 50-60 (drops to 45-50 in Novigrad).

You did reply to my post which contained the screenshot of an area and seem to ask for a video, hence the video in that same area. Now I have to be in Novigrad or this specific swamp.

I did state from the outset I haven't got to Novigrad when initially replying to someone else, which was more about general performance, not a specific area and I get the same in Oxenfurt. Is Oxenfurt no good either?

The whole thing was about what you're mostly getting.

How about you fast travel to Oxenfurt and Mulbrydale and compare. Do you get 50-60 with the same settings. T'was what the video is, info to compare.

b0uncyfr0

Can we set the sharpen value to a custom number? I noticed Low is 1 and High is 2. Id like to use 1.5 or even 1.25 just to give it a bit more oomph.

Setting it to 2 is too much sharpening and taxing.

Top Bottom