• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Okay just loaded the game after v1.05. I have several mods which may be causing havoc in the game (for some odd reason Geralt just keeps hopping now, regardless of what I do). What's the best way to move forward from here? I don't recall every mod I installed....

b0uncyfr0

Anyone noticed how 1.05 made loading much slower. There's a whole loading sequence a the bottom now that wasn't there before.

Naedtrax

Banned
So, i came back since i was away on the weekend to the new patch. Fired up witcher 3 and the game runs like complete shit now =/

I double checked my .ini's and everything seems in order.. hmm, anyone have an idea?

I don't know if anybody else has been keeping up with this, but as of 7 hours ago this guy has finally gotten the cutscene lighting mod working and is testing a release. Hype.

Holy cow, just look at this comparison I made:

Mod
uJSFkFV.jpg

Vanilla
yik0RsY.jpg

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I don't know if anybody else has been keeping up with this, but as of 7 hours ago this guy has finally gotten the cutscene lighting mod working and is testing a release. Hype.

Damn. That actually makes a pretty big difference. Hope the FPS hit is not that high. But if it isn't I can't see why CDPR wouldn't just use the same model across the board from the start. So that has me thinking it will be a large FPS hit.

Damn. That actually makes a pretty big difference. Hope the FPS hit is not that high. But if it isn't I can't see why CDPR wouldn't just use the same model across the board from the start. So that has me thinking it will be a large FPS hit.

I don't think there is a big performance difference because there doesn't seem to be a big difference in graphical effects.

I think it is way more inconsistent and there are many shots where I prefer the vanilla version. Many shots have overly high contrasts where every shadow looks like complete darkness. Normal lights seem to barely give any light to their surrounding.

But then I loathe many of the SweetFX changes too where people do the same things. Somehow associating a desaturated and higher contrast look with more realistic and upgrades.

After having some issues with stuttering and stuff I found that overclocking my card made it super smooth. my 970 just wasn't hitting 60fps enough and i didn't want to sacrifice more gfx fidelity so by overclocking it got it past 60fps and now it's pretty much locked and buttery smooth. Only seems to drop ever so slightly when it's snowing in Skellige.

And on that topic, Skellige. Just wow. I think it's probably my favourite game location ever. The sense of presence is just unreal. Being in the woods and hearing the woodpeckers, birds chirping, trees creaking in the wind and that beautiful music playing in the background! Amazing stuff. I don't want to leave!

I don't think there is a big performance difference because there doesn't seem to be a big difference in graphical effects.

I think it is way more inconsistent and there are many shots where I prefer the vanilla version. Many shots have overly high contrasts where every shadow looks like complete darkness. Normal lights seem to barely give any light to their surrounding.

But then I loathe many of the SweetFX changes too where people do the same things. Somehow associating a desaturated and higher contrast look with more realistic and upgrades.

World look like more vanilla to me than the "the order cinematic" (crap) feel from the mod
again IMO

People still remember that desaturated, sharp E3 trailer, so any mods resembles that one will catch people attention, including me.
It's not like people are forced to install it, they're mods not patches.

Zakalwe

Banned
Those with 970 OC's, have you benchmarked in Heaven? If so, could you share your results please?

EjiB6fS.jpg

MSI GTX 970 Gaming - 1499/1640 MHz (+220/+500)
i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz

That particular modded screenshot reminds me of what the world looks like after swimming in a heavy chlorinated pool for a long period of time.

There are likely scenarios where the cutscene lighting works out better and scenes where the vanilla light holds up better.

Seanspeed

Banned
Damn it's annoying when this game decides to boot up in Borderless Windowed mode and REFUSES to switch to Fullscreen. Gotta quit out and restart the game.

shandy706

Holy cow, just look at this comparison I made:

I'll take Vanilla.

I think the mod looks awful.

Also, these 1.05 problems means I'll stick to 1.04 for a while. Loading times seem to be longer in 1.04 than in 1.03 too though. I also have entire buildings take a bit to load when I first start the game back up. It's pretty funny, but after 30 seconds or so the "glitches" stop happening. I figure it's just loading everything into memory still.

Perhaps the longer load times is to avoid the "loading in" being seen.

I really hope they focus some on the pop-in of NPCs during gameplay and high quality models during cutscenes with an update in the near future. It's the biggest glaring graphical issue I experience.

Kinthalis

Banned
This is a silly mod. The lighting is tweaked during conversations to make faces look better in specific angles during close-ups.

Some of the comparison shots do look a lot better though in terms of how he lighting is interacting with the materials (wooden walls, god rays, stone). For some though, it's almost purely a stylistic difference.

mintylurb

Welp, guess my computer couldn't handle this game since it's not booting up after a crash.
Thought it was my PSU(cosair 850) but when I put the PSU in another computer, it works so likely my mobo, cpu. CPU usage was always around 60% when playing so it wasn't being stressed though I did set the CPU to use Physx to test something out right before my computer decided to crash and die on me..
It's been a while since I've had this many crashes while playing a pc game(last one was rome: total war). Anyway new cpu/mobo/cooler on their way. Thanks CDPR.

jett

D-Member
Welp, guess my computer couldn't handle this game since it's not booting up after a crash.
Thought it was my PSU(cosair 850) but when I put the PSU in another computer, it works so likely my mobo, cpu. CPU usage was always around 60% when playing so it wasn't being stressed though I did set the CPU to use Physx to test something out right before my computer decided to crash and die on me..
It's been a while since I've had this many crashes while playing a pc game(last one was rome: total war). Anyway new cpu/mobo/cooler on their way. Thanks CDPR.

ouch. what kind of pc was it?

Grief.exe

Damn it's annoying when this game decides to boot up in Borderless Windowed mode and REFUSES to switch to Fullscreen. Gotta quit out and restart the game.

Have you tried changing the setting with only the mouse control? That seems to take.

Could have been an unstable OS or GPU OC.

Specs?

mintylurb

ouch. what kind of pc was it?

i5-3570K oc'd to 4 ghurtz with aftermarket cooler(212 evo), factory oc'd evga 980 classified, 16GB corsair ram running win 7.
CPU was always around 60-65C under load. Can't be GPU as I have tried booting up with my working 670's without success.
It was all working fine until that faithful day..oh well.

daninthemix

Was getting the occasional frame-drop here and there and the tearing (using adaptive v-sync) was annoying me. Since I hadn't even got to Novigrad yet I figured I'd just max everything and lock at 30. With the two blur options enabled it's quite playable actually - I presume the frame-pacing is decent.

vocab

optimal presets for a 970? I just got it. I did ultra without hairworks with shadows and grass on high and are a few frames off of 60. I was wondering what others are doing. I'm sorry I didn't read through the whole thread.

optimal presets for a 970? I just got it. I did ultra without hairworks with shadows and grass on high and are a few frames off of 60. I was wondering what others are doing. I'm sorry I didn't read through the whole thread.

I run ultra on everything except shadows (high) and foliage distance (high) and no hairworks. I also have set some ini tweaks for even more grass density.

After having some issues with stuttering and stuff I found that overclocking my card made it super smooth. my 970 just wasn't hitting 60fps enough and i didn't want to sacrifice more gfx fidelity so by overclocking it got it past 60fps and now it's pretty much locked and buttery smooth. Only seems to drop ever so slightly when it's snowing in Skellige.

And on that topic, Skellige. Just wow. I think it's probably my favourite game location ever. The sense of presence is just unreal. Being in the woods and hearing the woodpeckers, birds chirping, trees creaking in the wind and that beautiful music playing in the background! Amazing stuff. I don't want to leave!

Im new to overclocking, have a new 970 and put a 212 evo cooler so i could overclock, but i really have no idea where to start. Do you have some quick tutorial to do it?

Zakalwe

Banned
Im new to overclocking, have a new 970 and put a 212 evo cooler so i could overclock, but i really have no idea where to start. Do you have some quick tutorial to do it?

Google it, a modest OC is very simple.

Download MSI Afterburner and Kombustor.

First attempt leave the voltage alone, set the Power Limit to max, raise the Core Clock by 50, apply, run the Kombuster benchmark to test stability. If stable then up by 50 and test again.

Keep going until you it becomes unstable. Then dial back to a point you're happy with.

Then do the same wit Memory Clock. +100 at a time.

After both are set you can stress test for a few hours with Furmark.

Example guide.

jett

D-Member
i5-3570K oc'd to 4 ghurtz with aftermarket cooler(212 evo), factory oc'd evga 980 classified, 16GB corsair ram running win 7.
CPU was always around 60-65C under load. Can't be GPU as I have tried booting up with my working 670's without success.
It was all working fine until that faithful day..oh well.

That's really strange. Mobo died I guess.

Had that happen to me a month or two ago. First thought it was my psupply, then cpu/mobo, but they tested ok in other computers. I completely disassembled the computer, gave it a good cleaning, put it all back together, reset my CMOS for good measure, and it's been running fine since.

mintylurb

Had that happen to me a month or two ago. First thought it was my psupply, then cpu/mobo, but they tested ok in other computers. I completely disassembled the computer, gave it a good cleaning, put it all back together, reset my CMOS for good measure, and it's been running fine since.

Hmm. Haven't tried resetting my cmos as I just got back from my biz trip but I will give that a try. If my computer posts then well i will have a working i5, intel mobo that can be used as a back up.

Methos#1975

The Lighting mod doesn't seem to impact performance at all, no drops on my end. That stated, I really do not see much of a difference either.

witcher3%2B2015-06-08%2B16-54-55-32.bmp

witcher3%2B2015-06-08%2B16-55-50-70.bmp

witcher3%2B2015-06-08%2B16-53-03-16.bmp

witcher3%2B2015-06-08%2B16-56-44-53.bmp

witcher3%2B2015-06-08%2B16-52-17-15.bmp

LogN

I've got a weird one. When I exit the game I cannot left click in windows and have to reboot. Every time. Anyone else have this issue?

Top Bottom